THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: What seemed weird when I visited your country  (Read 95715 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Re: What seemed weird when I visited your country
« Reply #350 on: 07 Mar 2014, 01:55 »

Separate checks (bills) as in each person is given a piece of paper with the amount they owe on it, and pay separately.

I've never had a problem with the chip and PIN system, maybe we have more reliable software now?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #351 on: 07 Mar 2014, 02:46 »

What's odd is, I work with a fleet of smartcard readers (used for logon authentication, but the chip and PIN system is using smartcards too), and we're not talking expensive ones in some cases - we're talking ones that my employer sells for $15, as part of a keyboard.

I replace keyboards occasionally, and usually not for smartcard reader failures. And these are in an environment where the reader is being used multiple times a day - not as aggressive of a duty cycle as a credit card reader, true, but still... there's plenty of keyboards that are 5+ years old, and still going strong (at least the smartcard reader part is).

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #352 on: 07 Mar 2014, 03:26 »

In 99% of the restaurants in Germany, you can only pay cash (except in the really posh ones, I suspect).
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #353 on: 07 Mar 2014, 03:40 »

That doesn't match my experience.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #354 on: 07 Mar 2014, 03:53 »

Mine neither. Most of the times you can pay by card, you just have to ask for it. Almost every restaurant has a mobile card reader by now. Not every single on, mind you, but most.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #355 on: 07 Mar 2014, 04:00 »

Hm. To be fair, I usually don't ask and I have never seen it explicitly advertised anywhere.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #356 on: 07 Mar 2014, 04:40 »

I've never had a problem with the chip and PIN system, maybe we have more reliable software now?
I think the trouble is in the hardware. Usually polishing the contacts on the card with one of those microfibre cloths fixes the problem.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #357 on: 07 Mar 2014, 05:08 »

In 99% of the restaurants in Germany, you can only pay cash (except in the really posh ones, I suspect).
That sounds really annoying, especially with all the coins.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #358 on: 07 Mar 2014, 05:16 »

You know, I could have sworn I'd written hardware. I certainly intended to write hardware. But nonetheless my point stands - I've never known that to be an issue here.

I almost never carry cash, unless I've recently been paid for something (when I babysit I am paid cash in hand, and obviously if I buy something for a friend they normally pay me back in cash). It's rare that this is an issue really, it's so unusual for places not to accept cards.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #359 on: 07 Mar 2014, 06:12 »

Yeah, I've pretty much stopped carrying cash as well (especially since vending machines that have card readers are becoming common)...and here 10 years ago I refused to use a debit card because, "With one of these, I never know how much I have to spend, whereas I know exactly what I can do with a couple $20s."

Apparently in Japan, you pretty much always need to have cash on you if you're outside of Tokyo, and that ATMs keep bank hours rather than being available 24/7.  Can anyone confirm/deny this?
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #360 on: 07 Mar 2014, 06:18 »

In my first year of university, while I was learning how to budget, I had two bank accounts. One was my main account into which my student loans were paid, and from which I paid my rent and major bills. The other was my day-to-day expenses account; a weekly direct debit from the student account paid £15 into the expenses account and that was my allocation of money for the week. I could still make large purchases from the student account but it helped me to think harder about how much I was spending, especially since I didn't carry the debit card for the main account with me.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #361 on: 07 Mar 2014, 06:30 »

Apparently in Japan, you pretty much always need to have cash on you if you're outside of Tokyo, and that ATMs keep bank hours rather than being available 24/7.  Can anyone confirm/deny this?

I can confirm or deny this. Cards are becoming more and more common in major cities in Japan, but most transactions will be in cash. Visa is the best type of card to have if you're taking a card, if you're with a major bank or a federal credit union in the U.S. you should have Plus and Co-Op network markings on the back, which will make your life easier ATM wise. I have no idea about Europe on those.

ATMs can be accessed at 7-11s and similar conveniance stores (which are EVERYWHERE) during their normal business hours. (Many are 24 hours, especially in night life areas) I wouldn't count on it though. Better to plan ahead financially speaking.

Places that do large transactions regularly like hotels, even Ryokan like the one I stayed at outside of Kyoto which was run by a little old guy and his wife should have a credit card machine, so don't worry about paying your lodging in cash. In nicer hotels like the Shiba Park hotel in Minato Ku you can usually charge your card at the desk in exchange for cash. I didn't try it at smaller hotels like the Smile! chain that I'm in love with, but I'd be willing to guess they'd provide that service. (Hell they gave me a free pint of whiskey. I think they can handle cash back)
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #362 on: 07 Mar 2014, 06:34 »

Most places around here accept cards, but I still use cash for day-to-day expenses, because it allows me to control how much I spend more easily. If I run out of cash before the end of the week, I don't allow myself to eat out. There are also still a few places around here that only accept cash. If you want good gyros in this town, bring cash.

Incidentally, I've been here going on seven years and I just realized that the name of the Greek restaurant just off the university campus, The Greek House, is a pun based on the fraternities calling their frat houses "greek houses."  :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #363 on: 24 Mar 2014, 07:15 »

As mentioned elsewhere, Wallander (UK) was making me fall in love with Sweden.  Now I feel like I have to see it for myself someday.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #364 on: 24 Mar 2014, 14:07 »

I didn't try it at smaller hotels like the Smile! chain that I'm in love with, but I'd be willing to guess they'd provide that service. (Hell they gave me a free pint of whiskey.
Why has this chain not come to America?
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #365 on: 24 Mar 2014, 14:30 »

Because we hate actual customer service and efficency. Also most Americans couldn't find in the Smile's hotel rooms.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Ben

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #366 on: 31 May 2014, 03:58 »

As a Brit in the US..... lots of things. There's an old chestnut that the Americans respect the law but don't obey it, the British obey the law but don't respect it, the Germans do both and the Italians do neither, and that seems about right.

KingOfIreland

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Artist formerly known as Tuathal
« Reply #367 on: 31 May 2014, 08:55 »

That sounds really annoying, especially with all the coins.

Belgium doesn't really do credit cards either in most places. Let alone maestro.
In my first year of university, while I was learning how to budget, I had two bank accounts. One was my main account into which my student loans were paid, and from which I paid my rent and major bills. The other was my day-to-day expenses account; a weekly direct debit from the student account paid £15 into the expenses account and that was my allocation of money for the week. I could still make large purchases from the student account but it helped me to think harder about how much I was spending, especially since I didn't carry the debit card for the main account with me.

Yeah, I used to do this when I got grants still. Now I'm living pretty much hand to mouth, so it's more difficult. I don't think I've even paid rent this month.
"Cock's Fresh Prepared steak"

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #368 on: 31 May 2014, 09:48 »

Americans respect the law but don't obey it
It's kind of tricky. I respect the laws I do obey, at least.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #369 on: 31 May 2014, 10:24 »

How does obeying the law but not respecting it work? Do you obey it but say "Fuck man, I hate this damn law"?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #370 on: 31 May 2014, 10:25 »

Pretty much. "I WISH I WAS ALLOWED TO DRIVE FASTER BUT THE BLOODY LAW FORBIDS IT" (while driving at exactly the speed limit)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ben

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #371 on: 31 May 2014, 10:34 »

It's called "living in the real world", I believe. Something to do with keeping your driving licence and not ending up in court more often than absolutely necessary.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #372 on: 31 May 2014, 10:35 »

What's funny is the speed limit is the law here, but pretty much everyone goes under the assumption that the speed limit really means "don't go more than 5-10 mph above this.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #373 on: 31 May 2014, 10:37 »

What's funny is the speed limit is the law here, but pretty much everyone goes under the assumption that the speed limit really means "don't go more than 5-10 mph above this.
I always go 5-10 km/h (metric system, mind you, so it's not quite as much over the limit as mph) faster. It's about going just far enough so you won't get a speeding ticket. Which doesn't always work. I hate speeding tickets.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #374 on: 31 May 2014, 10:38 »

The last speeding ticket I got I deserved, but the ticket I got before that for running a stop sign (five years ago) was absolute bullshit. I stopped, looked, and went, and got pulled over after parking a block later with the cop claiming I just rolled right through. Ugh.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #375 on: 31 May 2014, 10:39 »

And that depends on the state and the area.

For instance, in Michigan, "Speed Limit 70" means "Minimum Speed 75, ideal speed 80". Then you get to Detroit, and ideal speed becomes 90.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #376 on: 31 May 2014, 10:40 »

Well, yeah, if you're on I80 in New Jersey, the speed limit is 65, but if you're going below 80 your ass better be in the slow lane :roll:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #377 on: 31 May 2014, 11:07 »

I remember going 85 on the New Jersey Turnpike and being passed like I was sitting still...

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #378 on: 31 May 2014, 14:02 »

By 18-wheelers?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #379 on: 31 May 2014, 19:50 »

BHtooefer: I can recall being on the Southfield freeway (55) during morning rush hour. 
I was doing 70 in the middle lane, whilst TRAINS of cars went by in the fast lane doing 90+. 
It was like being IN a NASCAR race.

Here in Virginia and NC, well, this is NASCAR country. 
My high school driver's ed teacher was a retired Winston Cup driver. 
"SPEED LIMIT 70 MPH" is purely a suggestion. 
My truck has a speed governor that limits it to 105 MPH.
I know that from practical experience.
:D

but my gas mileage tanks at speeds over 80 MPH.  :psyduck:
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Ben

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #380 on: 31 May 2014, 21:24 »

Speaking of NASCAR, doing the Richard Petty Driving Experience at Daytona with a dozen other Brits who have no clue who Richard Petty might be, and were all taught to drive manual transmissions from the off, would definitely qualify

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #381 on: 01 Jun 2014, 06:19 »

My Prius has a governor that limits it at 108. Yes, a Prius. If anyone says those cars are too slow they've never been in one.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #382 on: 01 Jun 2014, 07:16 »

The fastest I've ever taken my old Taurus is 75, though it was while driving up a steep hill, so it could probably manage a bit faster than that on flat land.

(The time I mentioned on the New Jersey Turnpike, I was driving my dad's car, and he gave me permission to drive that fast, because we'd be run over otherwise.  :psyduck: )

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #383 on: 01 Jun 2014, 07:40 »

I've had my Mk2 Golf 1.6 diesel to 90 indicated. Published maximum speed was 92. (52 horsepower, for what it's worth.)

Had my Miata up to 120 indicated, although with a car in front of me that was deflecting some of the air. (119 published maximum there, and I was down on power from stock, too.)

I know I've had my current modified Golf TDI above 100, but I can't recall how far. 140-150 hp there.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #384 on: 01 Jun 2014, 07:50 »

I've done 140 indicated in a car. That was fucking awesome. Not quite as adrenalin pumping as doing 110 in my old toyota corolla though

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #385 on: 01 Jun 2014, 11:30 »

I once got my 1931 Model A phaeton up to 60 on the Jersey Turnpike. Then the head gasket blew out between the back two cylinders and it wouldn't go faster than 55.

Or so I recall. It was 59 or 60 years ago.

About the same year, I drove a different Ford product. On a 2-mile stretch of two-lane out by Westchester Airport, a '55 T-bird at about 100 mph indicated.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #386 on: 01 Jun 2014, 11:34 »

Because you forgot all about the library like you told your old man, now.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #387 on: 01 Jun 2014, 12:28 »

Because you forgot all about the library like you told your old man, now.

:-D snert. HAHA. I see what U did there.  :-D

Maximum speed: 126-127 MPH driving a squad car in pursuit of a felon.
On I-75 South, headed toward the Ohio state line.
and then the tranny let go.
stupid Crown Vic with 200k+ on the odometer.
 :-D
I miss those days.  Lights, Sirens and a license to speed.  :police:
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #388 on: 01 Jun 2014, 12:56 »

You used to be a cop? I didn't know that.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #389 on: 01 Jun 2014, 13:04 »

Went to China, Beijing, Shanghai, Tianjin and some other places last year in october… well, where to start? Sometimes it was like everything was the exact opposite of how things are back home (Sweden).

People will fart loudly and smoke during dinner. Not after. During.

Water is served with food, but it's steaming hot.

"Hole-in-the-floor"-toilets. Nothing can prepare you.

Amazingly hard beds. We tried four different hotels before we found one we could actually sleep in.

"Cupping" being done as a part of a regular massage. Google it. My girlfriend was in shock afterwards.

The smog, oh my god the smog. On some days it was like Mordor. Whenever the sky was blue and the sun came out I felt like crying.

Haggling over prices at stores (can't find a good word for the types of stores where this is acceptable. Not supermarkets, but markets and smaller stores, I guess) and actually getting a bit upset and yelling at each other is completely natural. I never did this but my Chinese friends did it for me. Which felt incredibly awkward because everything was so cheap anyway. I would sneak the store owner some extra cash if I got the chance.

And to end on a more positive note the food was AMAZING and people in general are amazingly nice, helpful and surprisingly chatty. Surprising for me because I had the impression that the Chinese are more reserved. I'd go there again. I will go there again. I really hope they are able to work out the smog problem though.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #390 on: 01 Jun 2014, 14:19 »

We have a Chinese guy who works in our lab who always orders hot water when we eat out. It's a little bit amusing how confused the waiter/waitress sometimes gets when he orders that.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #391 on: 01 Jun 2014, 15:31 »

My old van (which died on me four years back).

Cranked her up to 120Kph once or twice on the Motorway.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #392 on: 01 Jun 2014, 15:32 »

Miles or kilometers?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #393 on: 01 Jun 2014, 15:33 »

Kph.  Sorry, meant to put that in.
James The Kugai 

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #394 on: 01 Jun 2014, 15:35 »

I mean, looking at that, it's still impressive, but that's a pretty important distinction :roll:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #395 on: 01 Jun 2014, 15:39 »

I know, just a case of me forgetting to add the important bit.

The thing is, whomever owned it before me had probably never gotten it up above 100Kph as when I first went to 'Open it up', I got my foot to the floor and it wouldn't go any quicker than 105Kph.  Obviously, by the time I'd gotten it wrung out properly, I COULD get it up to 140Kph, but that was pushing it as she started to shimmy on the road.
James The Kugai 

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #396 on: 01 Jun 2014, 15:51 »

What's the fastest speed limit down there?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #397 on: 01 Jun 2014, 15:54 »

Open Road/Motorway Speed Limit is 100Kph
James The Kugai 

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #398 on: 01 Jun 2014, 15:58 »

I think the law across the UK is that plus or minus 10% is acceptable variation on the speed limit isn't it?

Fuck it, I don't drive, why do I care even?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #399 on: 01 Jun 2014, 16:01 »

The law in the US is the speed limit. Strictly speaking you can get a ticket for going one mph over...but realistically speaking you probably have to be 10 or more over (maybe 5 or more over if you're in a residential or school zone, but on a highway 10-15 at minimum over is necessary to get pulled over)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Up