THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 02:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Renewed Pipe Culture?  (Read 2732 times)

indiespy

• Emoticontraindication
  • A spy who is indie
Renewed Pipe Culture?
« on: 04 Nov 2013, 22:23 »

Lately I've noticed an increase in younger demographics (18-25) picking up tobacco pipes. For myself I started smoking pipes at the age of 18. It was a truly memorable experience that has a story. I'm just curious if this is a resurgence in the popularity of pipes or something related to the "hipster movement". Perhaps I'm just misinterpreting what I've seen.
Honestly I hope that pipes do make a come back in popularity.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
Re: Renewed Pipe Culture?
« Reply #1 on: 05 Nov 2013, 01:24 »

Now, don't tease. If it has a story, tell the story! Don't leave us hanging.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #2 on: 05 Nov 2013, 01:41 »

It's apparently a lot better for you than cigarettes since you're not breathing in burning paper. Also looks classy as fuck.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #3 on: 05 Nov 2013, 03:00 »

Well the incidence of lung cancer is certainly lower in pipe smokers but the incidence of mouth cancers is just as high so I wouldn't say it's better for you.

It also makes you look like a raging douchebag, unless you're like 40+
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #4 on: 05 Nov 2013, 03:06 »

My ex used to smoke a pipe. He also played a pipe (bagpipe) and dressed like a 1940's office rat. And he was a total Portland anarcho-hipster and definitely looked down on me for not being as 'cool' as him, although I didn't realise it at the time.

I hated both of his stupid pipes. I told him he should become a plumber to complete the obsession.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #5 on: 05 Nov 2013, 03:20 »

Yeah I'm going to have to follow that up by saying that my impression of people who smoke pipes has been heavily coloured by a guy I knew who's name is Tom but demanded that everyone refer to him by his "goth name" Sebastian. He also wore a beret and is a rapist. Like I'm not even kidding, he had non-consensual sex with several girls I knew, one of whom was underage at the time.

Don't smoke pipes. Ideally don't smoke at all but if you're going to make poor decisions there's no reason to look incredibly silly while doing it.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #6 on: 05 Nov 2013, 03:38 »

I am baffled by 'Sebastian' as a goth name. The biggest thing I associate with that name is Belle and Sebastian, easily the least goth thing in existence.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #7 on: 05 Nov 2013, 04:06 »

Why smoke a pipe when there are fine cigars to smoke? Goddess be I miss kicking back for a few hours with a Churchill and a glass of whiskey.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #8 on: 05 Nov 2013, 05:45 »

Cigars are fine, once in a while. Cigarettes? Never.

But I would prefer drinking the whisky seperately. You miss so many of the lighter flavours.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #9 on: 05 Nov 2013, 06:40 »

Use a shitty scotch. I do, when smoking.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #10 on: 05 Nov 2013, 06:45 »

Beo has the right of it. 12 years at the OLDEST when smoking, unless it is a VERY VERY light cigar.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #11 on: 05 Nov 2013, 10:17 »

Pipe tobacco smells less raunchy than cigarettes and cigars and some pipes have amazing craftsmanship, so I honestly don't care about whether or not people smoke pipes. Personally I prefer hookah to any of the above (it's relaxing, smells nice, and is a social activity). But as for pipes, my husband smokes one (his dad gave him a really cool hand carved one he got in Turkey) and I would love to have one of those giant ones ala Sherlock Holmes that blows bubbles.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

indiespy

• Emoticontraindication
  • A spy who is indie
« Reply #12 on: 05 Nov 2013, 11:54 »

Why does every third Goth name themselves Sebastian anyways? That specific douche makes me look like a douche. I love to smoke a pipe simply because I do. I wear a beret more often than not. Difference being I'm a nice respectful pushover n.n.
Regarding the story here we go:
I had just bought the pipe and a small bag of locally blended tobacco. It had an amazing woody/cherry smell to it. It was mid summer in Texas at Brazos mall. I decided to wait for my ride at one of the entrances and try out my pipe. Well I got the tobacco into it alright but I couldn't keep it lit. This guy I was sitting next to ask me if it was my first time. He had a strange accent that I asked him about. He said it was Afrikkans or South African. I told him I couldn't keep my pipe lit for some reason.
He asked to see my pipe so I handed it to him. He looked in the bowl then removed the tobacco with a pocket knife. He refilled it with my tobacco from the bag but showed me how to do it properly. He gave me the pipe back and told me to light it. His one bit of advice was " Take your time with it, don't try to light it like you would a cigarette". I tried to light it slowly and it lit right up and I've been hooked ever since. The man and I kept talking. Turned out he was retired from the South African Army and was visiting friends in America. I haven't seen him again in the past seven years but that's the story behind how I got into pipes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up