THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Non-Alcoholic Liquor  (Read 6228 times)

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
Non-Alcoholic Liquor
« on: 13 Nov 2013, 19:02 »

http://shop.arkaybeverages.com/

This is apparently a thing.  I do not understand it.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Re: Non-Alcoholic Liquor
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2013, 19:33 »

....clearly there is no god.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2013, 00:40 »

Aww, how quaint, Mormon-approved alcohol.

Kill it with fire. Oh wait. That won't work. Nothing to burn.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2013, 11:40 »

Nuke it from orbit.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

BrusselSprouts

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • kind of awkward
« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2013, 12:15 »

I've seen stuff like this sold in grocery shops around here. More often alcohol free wine and beer, but these things I've seen too. My only question is "why"

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2013, 13:14 »

Yes. I mean, if you don't want to drink alcohol, that's fine, but why basically pretend you're drinking alcohol? I tried non-alcoholic wine while visiting the Navaho Nation area in the USA, and frankly I would much rather drink water.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2013, 13:53 »

I can sort of see why - I have asked friends why they bother putting alcohol into their predominantly-fruit-flavoured cocktails and they've said that the alcohol has a taste, so if you can't or don't want to have alcohol but do want to taste whatever drink, then this is useful.

That said, I have absolutely no interest in trying alcohol-free liquor because when I tried the alcoholic kind the taste was vile.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #7 on: 14 Nov 2013, 15:28 »

If you want the taste without getting drunk, basically. The best time for non-alcoholic versions I find is for champagne, because for people who don't drink alcohol for whatever reason, "Just have this one because it's [occasion]!" is really bloody annoying. Especially because there are people I know who don't drink alcohol for religious or health reasons. There is stuff like Schloer or fizzy juice but I think getting a more accurate alternative can make those people feel more included, in my experience.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2013, 15:30 »

My Muslim coworker would buy non-alcoholic beer for her husband to drink with his friends, and they seemed to like it. Of course the people who drank alcoholic beer said that it tasted pretty shitty, but then again they weren't really the target market. I think the Muslim men drank it in this instance partly because Australia has a very prevalent drinking culture, so if you don't drink you're not seen as 'manly' or that there is something 'wrong' with you. This is a way for them to drink and be MEN, but not break the rules of their religion. Seemed pretty simple enough to understand.

However I can think of another reason why these may exist. Have you guys ever thought about people who want to drink but aren't allowed to? There could be health reason that mean they can't drink (my friend has a salicylate intolerance so alcohol affects her quite badly and therefore doesn't drink) but like the taste of wine/beer/whatever and still want it. Also it could be a way for alcoholics to try and wean themselves off alcohol, like people who smoke electric cigarettes to quit smoking. In those instances and probably more that I can't think of off the top of my head, these things seem like a good alternative.

As someone who is related to an alcoholic and know a number of people who don't drink, the recent reactions I have seen people having around here about people who don't drink is frustrating. There are a multitude of reasons that people don't want to drink, and just because you feel the need to fuel yourself with your poison of choice doesn't mean you should be so judgemental of people who don't want to. My brother doesn't drink because he doesn't like being out of control of his actions. I didn't drink for a long time because I was worried I would end up like my dad. How do you think we feel when people go "Oh my god, how can you not drink? It's the best! Go on, just try this! Look I'll buy you a real drink, it's ok!" around us?

I am kinda offended by the mindset of "what's the point" that's going on in this thread. There's no need to act so high and mighty over drinking.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #9 on: 14 Nov 2013, 18:05 »

Have you guys ever thought about people who want to drink but aren't allowed to? There could be health reason that mean they can't drink

i am one of these people, and i would never want alcohol unless then end goal WAS to get drunk.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #10 on: 14 Nov 2013, 18:09 »

I don't really see the point, but it's not so much about being high and mighty about drinking* but just a slight confusion why people can't be happy with the wide range of other non-alcoholic beverages. Pointing out the fact that it does have a taste is true, though. It's why people prefer a lot of the things they drink and if a person can't drink for whatever reason, but still want that missing flavor, well, why not? People who drink alcohol can continue about their normal business and those who can't can partake in the non-alcoholic versions.

*I really don't care if people drink or not, but people who are snobs about it (not just well educated, but also rude) drive me up a wall. I don't care about your fancy aged bourbons or your craft beers, I drink what I drink because it tastes good. If the people who drink the non-alcoholic stuff thinks it tastes good, then let them be happy.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #11 on: 14 Nov 2013, 18:32 »

I've seen stuff like this sold in grocery shops around here. More often alcohol free wine and beer, but these things I've seen too. My only question is "why"

Non-alcoholic beer and wine aren't at all strange.  Those start off as regular beer and wine, then have had their alcohol content removed by distillation.  This is just water and artificial flavors; it's closer to Gatorade than Jameson.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #12 on: 14 Nov 2013, 18:42 »

Our main customers for NA beer are caretakers of the elderly.  We have a Vet's home nearby, and several of the nurses come by and get a case weekly for some of their charges.  One in particular is blind, and she's never told him that it's NA.  He's mentioned to her how "Old Milwaukee just doesn't have the kick it used to!" 

But most of these guys aren't allowed alcohol for health reasons, and spent the whole of a very long life drinking almost nothing but beer, so... eh, it works. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #13 on: 14 Nov 2013, 19:14 »

Compared to that old salt's day I doubt actual beer has the kick it used to tbh.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 14 Nov 2013, 20:07 »

Probably true.

James The Kugai 

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #15 on: 14 Nov 2013, 20:13 »

I can see the point of non-alcoholic beer and wine, considering most of the flavor, particularly in the case of beer, doesn't come from the alcohol itself. For hard liquor, though, I'm not really sure how they'd make that taste anything at all like what it's supposed to imitate. If you take the alcohol out of vodka, you have water...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 14 Nov 2013, 20:17 »

James The Kugai 

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #17 on: 14 Nov 2013, 23:36 »

The two main ones I'm familiar with are O'Douls. (A-B) and Sharps (Miller).  I believe at one time Coors put out an NA version as well.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 Nov 2013, 02:27 »

Simply the belief that you are drinking alcohol can impair judgement and dent memory, say researchers.

According to Seema Assefi and Maryanne Garry, two psychologists at Victoria University in New Zealand, memory can be affected by an alcohol placebo.

Tests showed that participants in an experiment who were told they were drinking vodka, but were not, were more swayed by misleading information and more certain their memory was correct than those who were told they were drinking tonic water.

Dr Garry says the research has given new insights into how human memory works and how both social and non-social influences can affect a person's recall of events.

"What we have done is that we have made people's memory worse by telling them that they were intoxicated even though they had drunken nothing stronger than plain flat tonic water with limes," he adds.

Thinking yourself tipsy

For the study, 148 students were split into two groups, half being told they were getting vodka and tonic and the rest told they were getting just tonic. In reality, all were getting just plain tonic.

The research was carried out in a bar-like room equipped with bartenders, vodka bottles, tonic bottles, and glasses.

Flat tonic water was poured from sealed vodka bottles to appear genuine. The deception was completed by rimming glasses with limes dunked in vodka.

After consuming their drinks, the students watched a sequence of slides depicting a crime. They also read a summary of the crime that contained misleading information.

"We found people who thought they were intoxicated were more suggestible and made worse eyewitnesses compared with those who thought they were sober," Seema Assefi says.

"In fact the 'vodka and tonic' students acted drunk, some even showing physical signs of intoxication," she adds.

Giggling girls

When told, the sober students reacted with disbelief.

"When students were told the true nature of the experiment at the completion of the study, many were amazed that they had only received plain tonic, insisting that they had felt drunk at the time," she comments.

Dr Garry concludes: "It showed that even thinking you've been drinking affects your behaviour.

"Even on plain tonic water, the male students flirted with Seema as she conducted the experiment and the girls giggled a lot."

The serious point behind the research is that it demonstrates that memory is not just about filing away information like a computer does. It is what we use to understand and remember events in a social setting, such as witnessing a crime.

The research is published in Psychological Science, published by the American Psychological Association.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #19 on: 15 Nov 2013, 02:41 »

I am kinda offended by the mindset of "what's the point" that's going on in this thread.
That is a fair criticism. I fully understand that people don't want to drink, or can't drink, and that is perfectly fine. My problem with the non-alcoholic wine I tried was not that it lacked alcohol, but that it tasted nasty.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 Nov 2013, 02:43 »

incidentally, while googling up the above article i came across this

brain pain must be shared

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #21 on: 15 Nov 2013, 07:27 »

The local macrobrewery* around here sells a non-alcoholic beer that's pretty good. I doesn't taste like any alcoholic beer I've had, but it's still good. Liquor, on the other hand... Whisky tastes like it does partially because of the alcohol. Without the burn, it wouldn't be an interesting taste at all, I suppose.

I'm actually curious now, what would the non-alcoholic whisky advertised in the original link taste like? I could buy it to stifle my curiosity, but then again I could also just buy some whisky, since it tastes good.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #22 on: 15 Nov 2013, 07:29 »

Well a bottle of the NA stuff costs less then a finger of the good stuff will run you at most bars.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #23 on: 15 Nov 2013, 10:37 »

Somehow, the descriptors of a good whisky/whiskey/bourbon/scotch like "peaty", "smokey", "oaken" all seem as though they'd be pretty nasty without the alcohol. 

Maybe even with it...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #24 on: 15 Nov 2013, 10:40 »

....you can take that kind of blasphemy else where.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #25 on: 15 Nov 2013, 10:53 »

Smokey whisky is the best.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #26 on: 15 Nov 2013, 11:37 »

There's a whisky thread somewhere around.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #27 on: 15 Nov 2013, 12:48 »

a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #28 on: 15 Nov 2013, 13:32 »

I thought there was a more recent one, but maybe my memory's faulty...  No, it's here.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #29 on: 15 Nov 2013, 13:59 »

Ah, yes.  That is the correct one.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #30 on: 15 Nov 2013, 19:14 »

The local macrobrewery* around here sells a non-alcoholic beer that's pretty good. I doesn't taste like any alcoholic beer I've had, but it's still good. Liquor, on the other hand... Whisky tastes like it does partially because of the alcohol. Without the burn, it wouldn't be an interesting taste at all, I suppose.

I'm actually curious now, what would the non-alcoholic whisky advertised in the original link taste like? I could buy it to stifle my curiosity, but then again I could also just buy some whisky, since it tastes good.

You may find this review helpful.  http://blog.wblakegray.com/2012/01/alcohol-free-whisky-flavored-drink.html

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #31 on: 15 Nov 2013, 19:48 »

That sounds terrifying personally.
Pages: [1]   Go Up