THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 01:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 134887 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #200 on: 01 Jan 2014, 17:18 »

Yeah, what? I don't get that post either.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #201 on: 02 Jan 2014, 17:13 »

I saw the special and it was a little long. By the end my girlfriend and I screamed, "REGENERATE ALREADY!"

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #202 on: 02 Jan 2014, 17:15 »

Really? I thought they waited too long to regenerate but only because, well...there wasn't any time with the new Doctor. I forget, is that what they did last time?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #203 on: 02 Jan 2014, 17:22 »

Really? I thought they waited too long to regenerate but only because, well...there wasn't any time with the new Doctor. I forget, is that what they did last time?

It's common, the new doctor only gets a couple of seconds at the very end and that's it. Only two times has it been done differently, Baker into Pemberton done without Baker at the start of "Time and the Rani" and Pemberton into McGann during the TV movie were done at the start.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #204 on: 03 Jan 2014, 01:19 »

Pemberton?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #205 on: 03 Jan 2014, 09:25 »

Pemberton?

Sylvester Pemberton, the 7th Doctor.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
My Art.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #207 on: 03 Jan 2014, 12:00 »

Or is there?

(click to show/hide)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #208 on: 03 Jan 2014, 13:59 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvester_Pemberton

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvester_mccoy

There's a difference.

Well at least I got the first name right  :-o :-D
...I am sorry, I was posting in the Man of Steel thread about Green Lantern, was checking out the continuity of the character and others, and just watched an episode of "Batman: The Brave and the Bold" featuring his teammates so it must have snuck in there...oops!  DC Comics overload!!! :psyduck: :-D

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #209 on: 04 Jan 2014, 07:55 »

McCoy was a great doc, though. they had plans for him but unfortunately, Dr. Who went on hiatus.
My Art.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #210 on: 04 Jan 2014, 09:43 »

McCoy was a great doc, though. they had plans for him but unfortunately, Dr. Who went on hiatus.

I am glad that one aspect would come to fruition: he regenerates by being driven insane.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #211 on: 05 Jan 2014, 16:54 »

Doctor Who is a BBC show. The BBC is not, to my knowledge, funded by American cable TV subscriptions. It's paid for by British television licences, I think, and maybe government funding? At any rate, not by you, Grognard. Sorry.

I am assuming that I09 is an American website, as that article has a very American tone to it. 8 episode-series are not unusual in the UK, and massive huge hoopla about anniversaries doesn't really happen here. There was not a lot more done for the 50th anniversary of Coronation Street, which is the world's longest-running TV soap opera. Admittedly you can't seem to get away from Strictly Come Dancing when that's on, there are all kinds of side-shows and "documentaries" and interviews and catch-ups but that's not an anniversary special, simply a lucrative brand being milked.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #212 on: 05 Jan 2014, 23:35 »

The BBC is [...] paid for by British television licences, I think, and maybe government funding?

No government funding, except for specifically overseas services which get funding from the Foreign Office.  The World Service has a government grant which will be finally withdrawn from April this year, at which time it will be funded entirely from licence fee income.

Programs are also sold to foreign broadcasters; and to the extent that the sales can be predicted, those sales may be said to contribute to the program funding - so US cable companies may be seen as contributing to the funding of Dr Who to that extent.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #213 on: 06 Jan 2014, 01:17 »

Actually an eight episode series is if anything, quite long by British standards. Stuff generally runs for six.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #214 on: 06 Jan 2014, 03:46 »

Thanks Paul! I wasn't sure about government funding. I guess it's one of those myths that it's tax-payers who foot the bill.

Even if cable viewers are contributing huge amounts (which I doubt they are - it'll be a tiny fraction of what is paid in cable fees, since it's just one show) I still don't think it's a ground for demanding more from the BBC. Doctor Who is a British show with a BBC character to it, and that's one of the things I love about it. When Torchwood teamed up with an American company, the show changed completely and just wasn't as good because they were trying to cater to two audiences at once and it didn't work.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #215 on: 06 Jan 2014, 04:03 »

Some people view the licence fee as a "tax" on TV viewing, as it is required to be paid for any viewing, whether of the BBC or not (specifically, for operating TV viewing equipment).  However, it does go directly to the BBC (from the collecting agency) without going through government coffers, so they get the exact amount paid (less a minimal collection fee, I believe); but the government determines how big the fee is (for five years at a time, I think, so budgeting is not so hard).

When I was young, there was a radio licence as well, for people without a TV!  At one time you needed a separate radio licence for a car radio as well.

(later) I discover from that link that from 1957 to 1963 there was an additional "duty" of £1 added to TV (not radio) licences, which was a tax on the licence that went to the government.  No such tax has been applied since then.  Note also that to this day there is a much cheaper licence for receiving in B/W only.
« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2014, 04:23 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #216 on: 06 Jan 2014, 04:46 »

I discovered at university that some other channels actually get TV Licence funding as well granted to them, including Channel 4 and ITV.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #217 on: 06 Jan 2014, 05:19 »

My impression was that all the "terrestrial" TV channels (I don't know if that's the right term any more, since the digital switchover, if indeed it ever was) get licence funding and none of the satellite ones do.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #218 on: 06 Jan 2014, 06:24 »

The licence money is paid to the BBC alone.  No other broadcaster gets a penny from it.

The licence fee must be paid in order to watch any live TV service from any broadcaster by any synchronous means.  If you watch over the Internet, you need a licence for watching in real time, but not for watching solely via catchup services such as iPlayer.

People easily get confused because of the difference between the first statement relating to the BBC only and the second relating to all broadcasters.  Also, the BBC paid Channel 4's (but only their's) share of the costs of changing transmitters as part of the digital change-over, which was sometimes stated in terms of Channel 4 getting licence fee money; this did not translate into a continuing commitment or affect program funding.
« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2014, 06:35 by pwhodges »

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #219 on: 06 Jan 2014, 06:52 »

I assume all that government/license money goes to maintaining the fleets of old cars you see in Downton, Poirot, Marple, DW.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #220 on: 06 Jan 2014, 11:52 »

The BBC is [...] paid for by British television licences, I think, and maybe government funding?

No government funding, except for specifically overseas services which get funding from the Foreign Office.  The World Service has a government grant which will be finally withdrawn from April this year, at which time it will be funded entirely from licence fee income.

Programs are also sold to foreign broadcasters; and to the extent that the sales can be predicted, those sales may be said to contribute to the program funding - so US cable companies may be seen as contributing to the funding of Dr Who to that extent.

New Doctor Who is only shown on BBC America, there isn't any sales involved since the BBC co-owns the network with Discovery Communications. They might be getting some money from the sales to PBS stations(the US's version of the BBC) but this is a small amount and not nationwide showings only small single station showings.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #221 on: 06 Jan 2014, 12:04 »

Thanks Paul! I wasn't sure about government funding. I guess it's one of those myths that it's tax-payers who foot the bill.

Even if cable viewers are contributing huge amounts (which I doubt they are - it'll be a tiny fraction of what is paid in cable fees, since it's just one show) I still don't think it's a ground for demanding more from the BBC. Doctor Who is a British show with a BBC character to it, and that's one of the things I love about it. When Torchwood teamed up with an American company, the show changed completely and just wasn't as good because they were trying to cater to two audiences at once and it didn't work.

It could be that the person is referring to BBC America which has been showing Doctor Who, Torchwood, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Kitchen Nightmares(US and UK versions), and Top Gear over and over again...we don't get too much new stuff on that channel- Luther, Law & Order, Atlantis, Broadchurch, and Graham Norton in addition to Doctor Who. Everything else sent over here is sent to PBS and I highly doubt the blog writer watches that network and even if so probably only just for Sherlock.

edit- left out a key word that makes it sound less like an insult to the quoted poster...
« Last Edit: 07 Jan 2014, 08:00 by LookingIn »

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #222 on: 07 Jan 2014, 03:43 »

[...]When Torchwood teamed up with an American company, the show changed completely and just wasn't as good because they were trying to cater to two audiences at once and it didn't work.
On Torchwood: who else thought that Children of Earth was the most vile piece of TV ever?
My Art.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
My Art.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #224 on: 15 Jan 2014, 09:45 »

Hehe awesome. Have we ever seen the Doctor on a horse before?

K1dmor

• Beyoncé
« Reply #225 on: 15 Jan 2014, 13:27 »

Yes, we did:

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #226 on: 15 Jan 2014, 13:33 »

Most recent: 50th special, when Tennant and Elizabeth I come out of the Tardis.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #227 on: 16 Jan 2014, 09:38 »

Oh duh, of course. I liked both those episodes, how did I forget them?!

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #228 on: 27 Jan 2014, 11:01 »

Drum roll please – here's the first official photo of Peter Capaldi in his Twelfth Doctor costume! What do you think?

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #229 on: 27 Jan 2014, 11:07 »

Like.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #230 on: 27 Jan 2014, 11:19 »

He looks pretty fucking badass. Low key, but I love it. The outfit doesn't sell him, he sells the outfit.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #231 on: 27 Jan 2014, 11:55 »

Classy yet sophisticated, hopefully they won't use color changes to show where in time they are like the last two doctors.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #232 on: 29 Jan 2014, 07:14 »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #233 on: 29 Jan 2014, 07:38 »

He would kick Tuxedo Mask's ass, BK.

I like it. He's still got a little bit of the vibe of the past two doctor's outfits (suits with longer jackets), but he is a little classier and rocks it very well.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #234 on: 03 Feb 2014, 05:40 »

Been watching some of the classic Who on Canadian netflix.  The special effects are pretty whoa bad.

Also Tom Baker is <3

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #235 on: 17 Feb 2014, 07:59 »

What if Doctor Who was an American show

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #236 on: 17 Feb 2014, 11:45 »

How the hell was Nathan Fillion not the Ninth Doctor?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #237 on: 17 Feb 2014, 15:27 »

I asked the same question. And then realized that the answer was that Fillion would be Jack Harkness.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #238 on: 17 Feb 2014, 17:49 »

YES. That would be the best and only answer.

Also I would watch the shit out of the first four doctors, Sam Rockwell, and Bryan Cranston. I am not very familiar with Donald Glover and while I like the other actors, I think the first four would be wonderful. Particularly Gene Wilder because Gene Wilder.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #239 on: 17 Feb 2014, 18:47 »

If Gene Wilder had been the Doctor, I would be a certified Whovian.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Socky

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #240 on: 18 Feb 2014, 16:11 »

Out of curiosity does anyone listen to the 8th Doctor big finish audio dramas? Ive been slowly working my way through them, I just got up to Time of the Daleks, and I gotta say McGann is becoming one of my favourite Doctors. He's really just nails it.

Some of the stories are hit and miss but they're still fun, a bit cheesey and at times pretty dark, but I recommend checking them out. Unfortunately they're pretty pricey :/

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #241 on: 18 Feb 2014, 16:52 »

You could probably find them on YouTube.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #242 on: 18 Feb 2014, 19:45 »

so who gets to be john hurt?

I asked the same question. And then realized that the answer was that Fillion would be Jack Harkness.
but he would have to affect a fake british accent

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #243 on: 19 Feb 2014, 05:37 »

Link had Harrison Ford.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #244 on: 21 Feb 2014, 06:15 »

J, make Harkness Canadian and we're set.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #245 on: 15 Mar 2014, 09:09 »

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #246 on: 15 Mar 2014, 10:02 »

Wonderful!

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #247 on: 15 Mar 2014, 12:58 »

Yeah, though Hurt and Eccleston are technically out of sequence.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #248 on: 15 Mar 2014, 13:08 »

Yeah, I noticed that as well, but as far as mistakes go, could be much worse.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #249 on: 15 Mar 2014, 15:36 »

Capaldi. An irish wolfshound.

Away tha fuck.
My Art.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Up