Green Eggs and Spathe Ham
- 6 (4%)
Waffles with 30oz Coffee
- 9 (6%)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
- 6 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2578-2582 (18-22 November 2013) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 38795 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Marten challenges this, offers Tai a comparison sample.
Yeah, that would never happen.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Suure it would, and then he'll smarm his way into a foursome with Claire and Emily as well. That woudl be just like him, the dog!  :-P
What do you know about Pokémon?

NotAwesomeAnymore

• Furry furrier

I wanna hear about some of Dora's exes, the details.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Turkey sense, tingling! Sensing... a breakup?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

NotAwesomeAnymore

• Furry furrier

A breakup? Over this?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Tai is wandering into foot sandwich territory.  I could see her accidentally push a button with Dora, which triggers Dora's anxieties, which triggers (da-DUMMM) "Relationship Shredder Woman"!
Just another Joe like 46

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

A breakup? Over this?

Well, remember that Dora manufactures her own reasons to break up...  But I don't see that happening here.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

These last few comics just encapsulate my fluxuating rotation of ambivalence and annoyance with Tai as a character.

I try to like her...but I just can't.  She's like a 5 year old...And I hate toddlers.  They're devil incarnate.  :psyduck:

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Uh, 5-year-olds aren't toddlers, as a rule.  :-D
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!

pff to madmartigen, they are all pecks...
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Ahh Tai, sometimes you remind me of the proverbial Puppy peeing on the floor.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Uh, 5-year-olds aren't toddlers, as a rule.  :-D

You clearly haven't been cursed to be in the presence of nasty 5 year olds that act more like toddlers. 

Makes you want to punt them.  :evil:

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I try to like her...but I just can't.

Do the strips where she's supportive of Marten help your efforts?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

I can't say Tai is one of my favourite characters either, but I liked the way she acted when she wanted to get together with Dora. She talked to Marten about it first and then took the initiative. I think she did that in a rather admirable way.
I really hope they don't breakt up over this. But I don't think they will.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Suure it would, and then he'll smarm his way into a foursome with Claire and Emily as well. That woudl be just like him, the dog!  :-P

That would make for a fairly awkward conversation

"Marten, your ex says you kiss better than I do.  Emily, Claire, get over here and act as judges!"

Not happening til Jeph's final strip.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Platypodes

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Pancakes!

I really hope they don't breakt up over this. But I don't think they will.
I don't see this arc going there.  It's stayed in the realm of low-level awkwardness for a few strips now.  Neither one of them seems to me to be seriously upset about anything.

Not too bright of Tai to pester Dora to compare her to exes, but Dora's handling it well.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!

just me but:
1. Wouldn't ever date a friend's ex unless that friend came up to me and suggested it in a serious manner.

2. If I did, I would never ask her to compare me and my friend as far as being a couple goes...even make outs.  Now if she just blurted out, "wow, you're way more fun to make out with than [insert friend]."  That would be different, though I would have kept it to myself and not tell the friend.

Honestly I think I am terrible at make-outs.  :-P

I can't tell if Dora is saying Tai is better than marten or if she is just re-enforcing the brick wall to the conversation.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

Tai's been in a freewheeling scene for a while.  Probably the majority of her sexual history in terms of time might well have been short term casual stuff.  I imagine that in a tight little circle, word and ratings are going to get around anyway so there's little use being shy about it. 

I also see Tai as yearning for maturity, responsibility and general grown-uppedness.  That's what I gather from when she told Dora she was crazy about her.  http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2227

On the plus side of all this, Dora will probably think better of it next time she's thinking of bringing up past lovers. 

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

I can't tell if Dora is saying Tai is better than marten or if she is just re-enforcing the brick wall to the conversation.

The latter I think. I kinda wish she'd answer though, imagine what a blow it'd be to Tai's psyche if Marten was a better kisser? Our skinny friend has kissed a lot of ladies, and grew up in a very... alternative household, Tai probably has more competition on that score then she thinks.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

What if Dora says Marten is the better busser? I can see the next scene being in the Smif library with Tai saying, "I'll just see that for myself."
Of course, Marten would greet this development with his customary "Buh?"

... and then Dora would need to use the copier ...
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

...and that's where I'd predict my breakup.
Just another Joe like 46

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Errr... correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Tai is in to dudes, and seems way too into Dora to go kiss Marten, even if her skillz are challenged.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Yeah, that was my reaction but I wasn't quite sure how to phrase it, but the whole "Tai isn't into to dudes" was a pretty important part.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

She does, however, like to stir things up and is occasionally oblivious (as is Marten, to be fair) to their effect on others.

Plus, you know, Rule of Funny.

EDIT: New comic up. And Faye's not helping either.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

"Wait, I'm supposed to be helping?"
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

Leave it to Faye to tell it like it is to her friend  8-)

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Yeah, that was my reaction but I wasn't quite sure how to phrase it, but the whole "Tai isn't into to dudes" was a pretty important part.

Tai can just squint and pretend it's Dora.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Good point.

RightInTheSquishyParts

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Favorite Random Number Is 22.7

No dramatic blowup/meltdown/breakup yet.     Hm, is he trolling us or is just not going that route this time?

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

Looks like he's setting the stage for the first rough spot they'll hit. 

I doubt they'll break up, but I see the potential for some interesting character development.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

http://questionablecontent.net/992
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood

I RESCIND MY GRATITUDE!

Love it! classic QC.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Errr... correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Tai is in to dudes, and seems way too into Dora to go kiss Marten, even if her skillz are challenged.

On the other hand she was happy to take advice from Marten on bondage, so in a sufficiently neutral educational situation, who knows?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

Looks like he's setting the stage for the first rough spot they'll hit. 

I doubt they'll break up, but I see the potential for some interesting character development.

Wait- is this going on at the same time Claire and Emily are talking?

Hmm...I wonder. Emily + big secret + no drama yet with Dora = back to Claire's drama and possibly Tai learning the secret...

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Well, Tai would be the LAST person to cause any problems for Claire, I'm sure!
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2013, 01:16 by Lubricus »

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Faye has an evil twin? I don't think so; the last panel was vintage Faye trolling.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

IIRC, our host has made it clear that Clair's status is NOT going to be used for drama. 

Quite frankly, I don't see any of the main characters (except for maybe some perviness from Pintsize) plausibly causing much of a fuss or even giving much of a damn. 

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Sure, but it is clear that Claire's insecurities about those issues will play a part in the comic.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

If hers don't then Clinton's will.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

IIRC, our host has made it clear that Clair's status is NOT going to be used for drama. 

Quite frankly, I don't see any of the main characters (except for maybe some perviness from Pintsize) plausibly causing much of a fuss or even giving much of a damn.

Not exactly drama, more of a cliffhanger "oh crap" moment more on the "Emily screws up" than a Claire bombshell...
Edit: Given the amount of time left it's doubtful and unlikely this will happen. Possible in the future but highly unlikely.
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2013, 02:55 by LookingIn »

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

Something tells me that the secretive part would be off limits for this particular comic as far as a device for driving a cliffhanger or moving the plot along.  I can't quite put into words why actually, but I have a strong feeling that in the context of this particular comic, it would be better to let the subject of Clair's trans status be a its own thing and not hang too much on it. 

Also, if I were in Jeph's shoes, I'd advance that very slowly and take a lot of time to make sure I was doing it right.  And that seems to be what he's doing. 

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Yeah, I can't see Jeph making a cheap joke out of it, for sure.

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

Yeah, I can't see Jeph making a cheap joke out of it, for sure.

I'm talking about a higher standard that that even. 

I mean, doing the opposite, or an opposite of that.

Note: I'm sorta thinking out loud here trying to work out what the words to describe my feelings are and anyone should feel free to critique what I'm saying.  And I really don't want to step on anyone's speaking for themselves.

There should be a limit on how much a straight cis male profits using trans* issues.  I'm thinking a very low end, unless there's a trans* person actually in an ownership role.  If too much of the comic hinges on Claire's Trans status, then there's a form of exploitation going on.  In some sense, we SCM's ought to be in a mindset of being in the service of the trans population as a whole when we are making representations of them. 

For example, I'm learning about the art and craft of glass fusing.  If I were to decide to make pro LGBT paraphenalia, I wouldn't feel right making a lot of money out of it, or having it be too much of a draw to have folks look at my other stuff.  I'd feel OK offering it as one option among other choices of merchandise though.  I'd actually feel most comfortable doing that stuff by request or commission. 

But that doesn't exactly map out directly to a comic like we have here.  To not be awkward and forced, Claire has to be a Jeph Jacques creation and subject to humour.  Otherwise, she's a mere token.

I'm still not too much closer to putting into words precisely why I think her out status shouldn't be the subject of a big Thanksgiving cliffhanger.  I think if I could, I'd be a much more effective ally than I am at the moment.  And I kinda think some things need to be heard coming from allies. 

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

I regret mentioning it as a possible cliffhanger. I screwed up on the dates, I didn't notice that it was only a couple of strips left before Thanksgiving.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

This year, the cliffhanger should be Pintsize actually hanging off a cliff!  :-P

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

I regret mentioning it as a possible cliffhanger. I screwed up on the dates, I didn't notice that it was only a couple of strips left before Thanksgiving.

You've given me some stuff to try to sort out in my head. 

GarandMarine

• Awakened

I think there won't be a cliffhanger this year. Just to mess with us.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

The cliffhanger will be us waiting for a cliffhanger.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Re: rschill's comment on "there ought to be a limit ... "

Comments like that -- and I don't want to single you out, because I hear such calls from too many people -- leave me cold, mostly because I wonder who the commenters want setting and enforcing the limits.

In the case at hand, Jeph Jacques and QC have established a precedent of handling such issues with thought and sensitivity, to the point where the artist has been driven to the point of near self-destruction by a "fan" who thought he/she/it was being ... witty?

But even where that's not the case: Let someone say what they will. If it's wrong, or you think they're wrong, call them on it. The marketplace of ideas (which, more often these days than before, translates pretty directly into the real marketplace) will decide who and what will rise. That might be the only realistic way of setting and enforcing the "limit" some people seek to put on others.

In other words, if Jeph and QC can find acceptance handling issues such as gender preference and trans* and a myriad others the way he has -- learning along the way from opinions expressed to him, his own thought processes, and his own mistakes and those of others and any other learning method I've left out -- he deserves every penny of success he gets from doing so, whatever I, you or anyone else says.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

The cliffhanger will be us waiting for a cliffhanger.
Or, the ever famous, "Man, nothing ever happens around here."-type strip.
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up