THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 00:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music Hunters International  (Read 7258 times)

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
Music Hunters International
« on: 10 Dec 2013, 08:50 »

This relates to an idea I want to use for a music site/blog I plan to start up, but I think it would be a fun forum activity in its own right for people who dig cool music of all kinds.

The basic idea is to pick a city. Any city. Then find and link to 5 music acts from that city to share here.

Basically, after seeing how many really awesome acts are contained within my own town, I started wondering how many great acts are hiding in other cities around the world, and what it would take to find them other than waiting around for a record company or music blog to bring them to wider attention.

How does somebody do that? I'm not really sure yet! But if the thread grows, different people will find different techniques that work for them, and I'll compile and edit them into the first post here. One technique I've tried is once I find a band, I go to their Facebook page and see what other acts they've "liked". Some are good about linking to other acts, some not so much, but it's a start. For extroverts, e-mailing or messaging them to ask might lead to better results. Or if there's a local music award in that city, a list of nominees might be a good place to start. I'm sure there are tons of other creative methods that would work.

Guidelines for this thread:

1 - Pick a city. Could be your own city, could be one you've never been to before. Totally your choice based on what you feel like at the moment. Either highlight acts you already love at home, or be adventurous and look for something completely new.

2 - List 5 acts.

2a - For each act, list a "home" page. Could be their domain if they have one, could be Facebook, or Soundcloud, or YouTube, whatever seems to be a good home base for them.

2b - Link one song directly. This could be audio only on Soundcloud or Bandpage, or a video on YouTube. However, please only use links instead of embedding so this thread doesn't become ridiculously hard to load.

2c (optional) - Any additional links like alternate pages where more music and videos can be found.

3 (optional) - Link any city-specific resources that you may have found useful in doing this research.

Feel free to give your opinions or highlight anything you think is particularly good. I'd also suggest not getting too concerned about finding "the best" right away. Finding good music is always hit or miss, and sometimes something you may think of as "meh" might be perfect for somebody else. It might be that one person finds the first few acts, then another follows up and uses those bread crumbs to find more, which opens up parts of that scene normal searches miss, etc. Finally, do this in whatever way makes it fun for you. If that means sticking to your favorite genre, great! If that means searching obscure small towns in countries we've never heard of, go for it!

Again, if the thread grows, we can create index posts from time to time, and I'll link to them from this first post so it will be easier to browse the finds we've made.

Happy hunting!  :-)
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
Re: Music Hunters International
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2013, 10:20 »

OK, for my first attempt, here's some stuff I found in San Diego, CA, USA.

1. Allophone (FB) - "Inanimate Objects". Bandcamp.
Indie rock male lead.

2. Modern Heist (FB) - "The Natives are on Dexaphenadrine". Bandcamp, YouTube, ReverbNation
Indie rock female lead.

3. Gayle Skidmore - "Little Bird". Bandcamp, YouTube, Facebook.
Singer-songwriter.

4. The Burning of Rome - "Little Piranhas". Facebook, Bandcamp, YouTube.
Off-kilter Punk/Rock.

5. Dr. Seahorse - "GO". Facebook, ReverbNation, YouTube.
Electronic Pop/Dance. It was only after I made this entry that I found out the singer had made it onto the Spring 2013 season of The Voice. I'm assuming he didn't win since he's still with his band.  :laugh:

Resource = San Diego Music Awards nominees. Used this for the last 3, while I got the first 2 from a Google search and following bread crumbs on Facebook.
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2013, 08:14 by Jimor »

A_S00

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2013, 22:57 »

Toronto, Ontario, CA (and environs)

1.  Trouble and Daughter - "What's Good is Gone"BandcampYoutubeFacebook.
Badass indie anti-folk with lotsa male-female harmonies, and a lead singer with a very odd vocal affect that I find very appealing.

2.  Stan Rogers - "Barrett's Privateers".
I'm counting him for being born in Hamilton, Ontario.  The best folk musician who ever lived.

3.  Walk off the Earth - "Speeches"BandcampYoutubeFacebook.
Do these guys still need introduction?  A bunch of great musicians who get that music is a form of entertainment, and put their not inconsiderable talents toward cranking out awesome performance after awesome performance.  I linked an original here, but their covers are arguably even better.

4.  Billy Talent - "Stand Up and Run"YoutubeFacebook.
Some sorta emo-sounding post-punk dudes.  Possibly the worst hair in pop music.

5.  Broken Social Scene - "Texico Bitches"Facebook
Seminal Canadian indie rock.  Member list longer than discography.

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2013, 16:35 »

4.  Billy Talent - "Stand Up and Run"YoutubeFacebook.
Some sorta emo-sounding post-punk dudes.  Possibly the worst hair in pop music.

Of all their new songs you chose "Stand up and Run" :-o "Swallowed up by the Ocean", "Viking Death Match", "Dead SIlence" and "Love was still Around" are way better. :roll:

And they're a pretty big international act, btw, assuming this thread was about lesser known artists :p
I dunno..

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2013, 23:06 »

My personal goal is smaller acts, but this kind of thing is hard enough that throwing in some well-known bands is more than welcome, as is simply listing some hometown bands you know if that's all you want to do. I've been working on a list for Providence, R.I., and it's tricky if there isn't some kind of resource already available. I'll probably follow that up with a list from Boston, because a lot of the breadcrumb trails ended up there, so I started that list as well. The m.o. for my project is probably going to be more like find 2 or 3 acts, then contact them and just list whoever they dig, as short or as long of a list as they want. Then I can research based off that, maybe get more from some of those to branch out.

Speaking of, I took the first step, and got a domain for the site. MachineBomb.com. I was looking for something that was catchy, but not specifically descriptive. Over the next few weeks, I'll be learning how to actually manage said web site, probably starting with a fairly straightforward blog format until I can figure out how to set up the kind of data management structure it needs for the long haul.

But this thread is for everybody here to have fun in as you like, so like I said, don't sweat getting it "right", just do it.  :-)

A_S00

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2013, 02:19 »

Of all their new songs you chose "Stand up and Run" :-o "Swallowed up by the Ocean", "Viking Death Match", "Dead SIlence" and "Love was still Around" are way better. :roll:

And they're a pretty big international act, btw, assuming this thread was about lesser known artists :p

*shrug* Didn't really catch on that the thread was about lesser-known artists.  I was going for a mix of well-known and not-so-much, although I didn't realize that Billy Talent was a thing, so I skewed a bit more well-known than I intended.  Probably also why I didn't pick a better song of theirs :P .

-----

Here's one for New York, New York, USA that's more in the spirit of "find cool local artists you wouldn't know about otherwise."

1.  Red Sullivan (Bandcamp) - "Lightning"Facebook.
A great, understated, synthy EP's worth of rock.  Appeared on my Facebook feed one day because I knew somebody who knew somebody who knew somebody in the band.  Listened, liked, never learned anything else.  As far as I know, no followup.  Just one of those things.

2.  The Rat Problem (formerly Teen Fiction; Facebook) - "I Hate Everyone But You"MySpace (WIP).  Twitter.  Old Soundcloud.
Art-punk-pop rock made by guys who are too smart to keep from showing off how smart they are when they write songs, but make some pretty good music anyway.  The lead singer is much cooler these days than he was in elementary school.

3.  Au Revoir Simone"Stars"FacebookMySpace.
Screw it, I'm throwing a biggish name in here anyway, because if anybody hasn't heard of these ladies yet they should.  Sublimely wonderful dream-pop.

4.  Elastic Summer (Bandcamp) - "Disaster"FacebookMySpace.
Some dudes and a lady who knew how to make some jarring but fun pop music.  Seem to be defunct.

5.  TEEN - "Better". FacebookBandcamp.
Hey look it's more synthy dissonant pop!  I guess that's what I think New York does best or something?  Anyway, I'm pretty sure "synth bagpipes" was what they were going with this song, and if that's not enough reason for you to go listen to them, what is?

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2014, 06:56 »

I may have missed this somewhere but are we looking for acts that are currently producing music or can we look into the past for great bands people may not have heard of?
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2014, 10:49 »

I've been working on a list for Providence, R.I.

put Deer Tick on it oh my god War Elephant is such a good record
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap
Pages: [1]   Go Up