THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The King of Monsters is Back...  (Read 10232 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2018, 08:20 by LeeC »
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
Re: The King of Monsters is Back...
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2013, 11:39 »

Fuck!!!

They'd better do a good job of this after that trailer.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2013, 11:43 »

I was surprised to see Brian Cranston (sp?) staring in it!
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2013, 18:46 »

Anyone else sick of movie trailers doing that slow fade to black then slow fade in?

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2013, 19:32 »

Can't wait to see it, I'm hoping for a Pacific Rim level of awesome.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2013, 07:51 »

Definitely want to see this now.  That looked pretty good.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2014, 15:52 »

Saw it, loved it!  :-D

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2014, 16:09 »

I completely forgot about this thread, but still I just watched the new Godzilla movie, and it was awesome! Especially that
(click to show/hide)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2014, 19:41 »

My friend and my girlfriend sitting next to me on either sides noticed how much I was shaking with excitement at that scene!
everyone in the theater was clapping when:
(click to show/hide)

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2014, 09:09 »

Saw it, loved it!  :-D
Same here! I'm really hoping for a follow-up, but it'd probably be a little far-fetched to have some other giant monster attack conveniently for Godzilla to reappear.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2014, 09:13 »

...... Have you SEEN any of the other Godzilla movies? That is the main plot of pretty much all of them.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2014, 09:53 »

I'd be really upset if they ruined something as wonderful as Godzilla with /plot/.

Joking aside I actually wrote a paper for a film studies class on Kaiju Eiga >.>;
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #12 on: 19 May 2014, 10:05 »

I just found it interesting that Godzilla turned into the representation of nature's rage and the dangers of nuclear weapons (coming out of post-war Japan? You don't say!) into a guardian of the Earth and to a much lesser degree, people. Though he still doesn't mind smashing up some cities while stomping on King Ghidrah.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 19 May 2014, 14:36 »

Just another day at the office for the big guy.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2014, 08:51 »

It was glorious. I didn't even mind the slow build-up that a lot of people have been complaining about.
(click to show/hide)
I dunno..

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #15 on: 21 May 2014, 15:54 »

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2014, 13:47 »

My only niggle was too much Aaron Taylor-Johnson, not enough Bryan Cranston.

I know it's popular to love Cranny boy, but he was great in this film. Didn't quite understand why they didn't combine the roles of Joe Brody and Dr. Ishiro Serizawa...didn't they have the same motives, ideas, explanations about what was happening?

I also loved the imagery. A lot of contrasts between the seen and the obscured - think about all the things we saw from behind glass that we wouldn't be able to do anything about: The wife dying behind a small circular window, the nuclear plant collapsing as seen from inside the classroom, the MUTO coming to life from the inside of the command center/the back of the police van. The mono-rail. The bridge collapsing as seen from inside a car.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2014, 13:53 by Lupercal »

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #17 on: 29 May 2014, 07:20 »

I caved and bought both of them and they finally came today!

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #18 on: 07 Jun 2014, 16:08 »

A theory that Godzilla is about the USA and Japan uniting to fight China:
I know I am late on this one, but I thought it was pretty damned good, well above expectations.  I feel comfortable placing it in the top five Godzilla movies of all time.  The visuals are spectacular but not overdone, and it pays appropriate homage to its sources, including the Japanese original but also Hitchcock’s The Birds.  The movie also treats nuclear weapons use with the moral seriousness it deserves, which is rare these days.
And is there a Straussian reading?  Well, yes (did you have to ask?).  The film is really a plea for an extended and revitalized Japanese-American alliance.  The real threat to the world are the Mutos, not Godzilla, who ends up defending America, after the lead Japanese character in the movie promises the American military Godzilla will be there as our friend (don’t kill me, that is not a major spoiler as it is telegraphed way in advance).
The Mutos, by the way, are basically Chinese mythological dragons, and an image of two kissing Muto-like beings is shown over the gate of San Francisco’s Chinatown three different times in the movie, each time with greater conspicuousness.  The Mutos base themselves in Chinatown in fact.  Note that the Mutos can beat up on Godzilla because of their greater numbers, but as for one-on-one there is no doubt Godzilla is more fierce.  And the name of the being — Muto — what does that mean?  I believe loyal MR readers already know, and apologies for reminding you.  General Akira Muto led the worst excesses committed by Japanese troops during the Rape of Nanjing, perhaps the single biggest Chinese grievance against The Land of the Rising Sun, and thus the beings are a sign of the Chinese desire for redress and revenge.  Unless of course the right military alliance comes along to contain them and save the world…
The references to Pearl Harbor and the Philippines are not accidents either.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jul 2018, 08:08 »

Well, hello again Godzilla.  What's this? you brought some friends?

TheEvilDog

« Reply #21 on: 25 Jul 2018, 09:02 »

There's a rumour going around at SDCC that there are going to be more kaiju in the film, its just they've concentrated on Rodan, Mothra and King Ghidorah due to them being more recognisable/popular.

I'm taking that a pinch of salt, but I'd love to see Anguirus.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #22 on: 25 Jul 2018, 09:25 »

sigh..... Nope. This looks like the same problem as the first US Godzilla film. Or the Beyformers franchise. Take these larger than life characters the original franchises are based on... Then push them to the background as secondary characters and make the movies all about the human characters and military fetishism. Godzilla/kaiju or the Transformers were the stars of their movies/shows. The human characters were supporting only. Most of the screen time and character advancement and nearly all the plot was focused on and around the literally larger than life characters.

Pacific Rim, or Ultraman or every sentai show ever works with a human focus story and character facing off against giant monsters because that is what they are, what they are designed to be. The focus is on the pilots, or the heroes and the giant monsters are secondary at best and more often just there as an obstacle for the heroes to defeat. We don't spend 80% of the time focused on the monster of the week. The kaiju in Pacific Rim were not the stars, they barely even had names.

The Toho Kaiju though, Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan etc... They are the stars. They get the big story arcs, the entire point of the movie existing is to feature them. The humans and military in them were for the sake of exposition and to be either support or minor obstacles. Trying to focus the plot line on the human characters in these movies is missing the entire point of it.

I watched the first Legendary Godzilla movie when it released, entirely regretted it. This one looks to be following entirely in it's footsteps despite the poor performance of the first one. Unless I see something that tells me what I saw in this trailer is not what the movie is going to be like, pass. I'll go watch guys in rubber suits fake beat each other up again.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #23 on: 25 Jul 2018, 09:52 »

Thing is, its rather difficult to characterise what is essentially an animal, albeit one that leaves a footprint larger than most houses.

Actually at this stage now, they're not even animals anymore, they're forces of nature. Even in the Toho films, Godzilla isn't really treated as a hero in the traditional sense, but more as something dealing with invaders in its territory. And in the Toho films, no matter how much Humanity tries to combat Godzilla or other Kaiju, its all for nought, much like our attempts to combat the hurricane or the storm.

Something you never see in the Japanese films is the aftermath. You don't see memorial walls, or the walls covered in pictures of missing loved ones. You don't see the reconstruction, the rebuilding of cities and lives. You see the devastation, but you don't see the cost. Its just "BAM!", Godzilla just killed a cyborg chicken from space, but by the time the next film rolls around, every city is intact waiting for the next round.

I actually enjoy the fact that the Legendary films show the human cost. People are terrified, scared of potential kaiju attacks. The films revolve around Godzilla and the other kaiju, much like disaster films revolve around the disaster in question.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #24 on: 25 Jul 2018, 10:45 »

Toho managed to give characterization and emotional range to their kaiju with considerably less technology for decades. Just guys in rubber suits and exposition humans.

The fact that there was never shown the aftermath and very little of the human cost of the kaiju fights is a fair one. But that's not why people watched Toho's kaiju movies. People watched them to see bad acting and over the top fight scenes with monsters. The Legendary Godzilla film and what this one looks like is not that.  And that's why I didn't enjoy it, and doubt I will enjoy that one. Same reason I didn't bother to see Cloverfield, or watch disaster films. I don't enjoy that sort of movie. Life sucks enough worrying about that sort of thing for real, I don't need it in my escapist science fiction thank you.

Which in the end is the thing. This movie was not meant for people like me. Not meant for people who want to spend a few hours having fun watching giant monsters fight, then moving on. But if they didn't want to make a movie like that... If they didn't want to make a movie that follows along with Godzilla and his monster frenimies... Why are they using the name and image of Godzilla? Rhetorical question of course, they are using it to push box office sales with a recognizable name. That's why this is 'Godzilla 2' and not 'Cloverfield 2'.

And that's a thing that annoys the heck out of me. Studios using a name just to rake in the nostalgia money, even though the movie itself has little to do with the tone of the original property. Some of them were quite clearly not originally designed with a famous property in mind and were re-written later on to turn someone generic Sci Fi into a movie about a property the studio holds the movie rights to.
Pages: [1]   Go Up