THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 23:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Microsoft vs Google  (Read 4993 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Microsoft vs Google
« on: 21 Nov 2013, 03:51 »

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
Re: Microsoft vs Google
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2013, 05:22 »

Welcome to pettyville, population Microsoft.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2013, 06:47 »

Yeah, let's be realistic. As much as Microsoft would like to have a monopoly on everything, there are waaaaay to many petty people/groups in the world to be a population of one...

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2013, 06:59 »

Not that petty really, the privacy concerns are a very real thing for an issue with google. I don't mind if Microsoft picks up the banner even if it's for their own selfish purposes.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2013, 09:25 »

Microsoft exec 1: "Google is kicking our asses in everything except desktop OS marketshare. How can we get our technological monopoly back?"
Microsoft exec 2: "I know,  slander!"

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2013, 10:05 »

Slander is untrue though.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #6 on: 21 Nov 2013, 10:45 »

It's basically the same thing DuckDuckGo has been saying. Just because the same message is now coming from another mega-corporation doesn't make it any less true.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2013, 11:56 »

The hypocrisy is in that all the surveillance MSoft does* is secret - Google is very, very open about the fact that yes, they do keep data about what you search for, what you watch, etc. etc., and use it to give you personalized search results, personalized adds, and sell anonymized versions of that data to third parties**. MSoft is taking information that's public knowledge, and portrays it as a dirty secret on the level of the NSA stuff.

* If you think MS doesn't store all it's data about you, that's naive.
** I'm pretty sure you can get "we think that x% of the people who watches google adds on your site is women" from Google.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #8 on: 21 Nov 2013, 14:21 »

Also has to be spoken, this is libel.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #9 on: 21 Nov 2013, 14:23 »

The hypocrisy is in that all the surveillance MSoft does* is secret - Google is very, very open about the fact that yes, they do keep data about what you search for, what you watch, etc. etc., and use it to give you personalized search results, personalized adds, and sell anonymized versions of that data to third parties**. MSoft is taking information that's public knowledge, and portrays it as a dirty secret on the level of the NSA stuff.

* If you think MS doesn't store all it's data about you, that's naive.
** I'm pretty sure you can get "we think that x% of the people who watches google adds on your site is women" from Google.
+100

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #10 on: 01 Dec 2013, 18:01 »

Also has to be spoken, this is libel.
Do you know that because of the first Spider-Man movie?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #11 on: 02 Dec 2013, 03:31 »

At the risk of sounding like I'm being ruder than I am trying to be, I know that because I did a degree in journalism including a module on journalistic law...

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #12 on: 02 Dec 2013, 04:36 »

Back on topic, I didn't think they were making such a big deal out of this until I saw an actual tv ad where Microsoft hired the Pawn Stars guys in a mock-up of the show where a woman brought a Chromebook in, and they gave her a talking-to about it (I guess, the tv was muted). They must be really commited to this. Then again, the ad was on a US tv channel, so I don't know if that's par for the course for you guys.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #13 on: 02 Dec 2013, 06:15 »

At the risk of sounding like I'm being ruder than I am trying to be, I know that because I did a degree in journalism including a module on journalistic law...
It doesn't sound rude, but that movie came out long before you were in university. Are you sure you didn't learn it there first? :parrot:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #14 on: 02 Dec 2013, 07:43 »

It doesn't sound rude, but that movie came out long before you were in university. Are you sure you didn't learn it there first? :parrot:

I didn't learn anything from movies  :mrgreen:

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #15 on: 02 Dec 2013, 18:04 »

I learned all sorts of shit from movies. It's just most of it was bullshit. Except Tom Cruise's succinct explanation of court procedure in "A Few Good Men". That was spot on. It only matters what you can prove in a court of law! Who knew? And why hasn't any one told Nancy Grace?

blacksinow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #16 on: 12 Dec 2013, 10:05 »

I used to be all about "google = win" like some people. But it was until I started to use bing and had an incident with gmail that I kind've lean towards microsoft (mostly). I don't really give a flying crap about microsoft storing my data, because...

1. I'm not stupid enough to mention anything incriminating on skype and email.
2. I'm not powerful enough to do anything about it.

But the other day when I was having my gmail problems. I was trying to register for a square enix account on my PS3 to play FF14, and the email never showed up. When I registered a second account (because the first one went bust), I had no problems using hotmail. I will admit that microsoft charging people to use services that should be free (netflix on 360 for example), but I like the way that their interface works. Google may claim to be more powerful, but I've always liked the way that Bing looks visually. When I go to look for a definition, it is laid out in a way that I actually prefer.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #17 on: 12 Dec 2013, 15:12 »

Did you disable tabs the second they started to exist? If not, that might be your problem with Gmail.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

blacksinow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #18 on: 12 Dec 2013, 18:38 »

Did you disable tabs the second they started to exist? If not, that might be your problem with Gmail.

And hence my point. Over complicated and annoying, I really should start using hotmail more.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #19 on: 12 Dec 2013, 19:01 »

I prefer plain HTML view in Gmail. I never actually saw the tabs.  :roll:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #20 on: 12 Dec 2013, 21:16 »

And hence my point. Over complicated and annoying, I really should start using hotmail more.
Ha, that was one feature that was easily disabled. And I'm kind of shocked that Hotmail still exists. That's not even speaking to its quality (because I haven't used it in nearly a decade), but rather that it survived the death of MSN messenger.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #21 on: 13 Dec 2013, 01:17 »

I've used Hotmail through all of its incarnations (Hotmail, Live Mail, and now Outlook.com), and I don't understand the hate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up