THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 15 Jun 2024, 15:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Checking the list twice.

Momo at Hannelores (With optional hugging)
- 25 (17.7%)
Angry Hannelore
- 13 (9.2%)
Dale asks Marigold out (With optional Awkward Zone)
- 9 (6.4%)
Marigold asks Dale out (With optional Momoglare)
- 29 (20.6%)
HappyDora at CoD
- 2 (1.4%)
HappyTai at Library
- 3 (2.1%)
Claire and Marten (With optional Clinton)
- 9 (6.4%)
Marten and Claire (With optional Emily)
- 16 (11.3%)
Penelope and Emily
- 1 (0.7%)
Penelope ane Emily AND Wil.
- 4 (2.8%)
Angus and Faye at the Railway Station
- 3 (2.1%)
Faye and Angus at the apartment
- 4 (2.8%)
Steve eats Cereal
- 2 (1.4%)
Cereal eats Steve
- 8 (5.7%)
Pintsize eats Waffles
- 1 (0.7%)
Waffles eat Pintzize
- 8 (5.7%)
Other (Specify)
- 1 (0.7%)
Other (Purple Monkey Dishwasher)
- 3 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2598-2602 (16-20 December 2013) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 37471 times)

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

I have the uneasy suspicion that Hannelore is about to relapse into Little Hats mode. Except with Little Teddies.

Which kind?  Oh, wait,  right, Hannelore.  Not likely to be wearing a teddy.  I can imagine Marigold putting one on, but being utterly embarrassed if anyone saw her in it.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

I have the uneasy suspicion that Hannelore is about to relapse into Little Hats mode. Except with Little Teddies.

Which kind?  Oh, wait,  right, Hannelore.  Not likely to be wearing a teddy.  I can imagine Marigold putting one on, but being utterly embarrassed if anyone saw her in it.

...no, pretty sure he means Hannelore putting Winslow and Momo into little teddies, not wearing them herself.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Damn it, Marbear doesn't realize what she's done yet :/
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

I think Hammer-lore is going to have to come down hard on her. Marigold deserves it.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

It must be a very old issue she is reading. Or must it? The impression I have of YAOI is that the characters would not wait for tens of issues to have sex.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

I giggled at the title-description combo. It seems, for robots, every day is hump day.
... maybe that's the bet?
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

It must be a very old issue she is reading. Or must it? The impression I have of YAOI is that the characters would not wait for tens of issues to have sex.
That is in fact contrary to the impression I have (I think they are more focused on weird romantic shenanigans), but I honestly don't read yaoi. I suppose there is such and such.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Who knew that Winslow was so prudish? Perhaps he's the anti-Pintsize.

And Angus reappears! I don't think it is wise of him to discuss any form of sexuality with the Prince of Perversion.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

*Sigh*

And Angus, you'd be safer talking with Deathbot3000 than Pintsize
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

But going over to Faye's (and Marten's) place means facing Pintsize - he can't be avoided!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I hate to bring up the arguments of last thread again, but I can't help but notice that Marigold still hasn't twigged that what she said to Momo was kinda awful. (I'd previously assumed that the guilt-tripping was an unthinking, spur-of-the-moment thing). This, unfortunately, lowers my opinion of her a notch.  :-\
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Or she can't face the realization and is blocking it out.

Even someone with the empathy of an electric can opener should have figured out that Momo doesn't do things like that casually.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Somebody

• Curry sauce

Even someone with the empathy of an electric can opener should have figured out that Momo doesn't do things like that casually.
But DOES Marigold have the empathy of an electric can opener? :psyduck:

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss

Our ability and inclination/tendency to empathize with others is balanced by a lot of things, more or less constant challenges such as being stressed, or tired, or short on time, or being Marigold.

I must say I'm ambivalent about both Dale and Marigold, so I guess that means Daligold works for me :o but I see great frustration and with and aggravation by these two in my future.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

Give her time.
And if that doesn't work, a good friend will apply a cluebat.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

so, is angus going to ask why robots even have sexuality? because that's something i've been wondering for a while now

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

Hannelore may be more sympathetic to Marigold than some folks think.  After all she knows very well what it's like having  trouble relating to people.  It was only because  she was  using some very powerful meds at the time that she approached Marten in the first place.   The early, unmedicated Hannelore we soon came to know likely would have just watched Marten and Fay from afar and never interacted with them.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Give her time.

We call those "clue-by-fours" up here in the USA.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Give her time.

heheh.. You beat me to it. My comment was going to be 'Boy, someone needs to visit Marigold with the clue-by-four now.'

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

But DOES Marigold have the empathy of an electric can opener? :psyduck:

Nope, merely the empathy of a mechanical one.
What do you know about Pokémon?

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined

since this has gone up almost a page ago without comment ...
'Do robots dream of electric Beefcake?'

Yes, yes they do [and I fail at archivefu - where is the pre upgrade momo waking with a Buhhhh?]
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I'm afraid to link to that comic since I get accused of the equivalent of rick rolling when I do.

Jeph said himself that AnthroPC libido is a mystery. Now that they have civil rights it may be illegal to take it away, but why was it there in the first place?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

since this has gone up almost a page ago without comment ...
'Do robots dream of electric Beefcake?'

Yes, yes they do [and I fail at archivefu - where is the pre upgrade momo waking with a Buhhhh?]

Its number 1658, IIRC.
What do you know about Pokémon?

NotAwesomeAnymore

• Furry furrier

I've been thinking about Marigold's issues and what they might stem from. Has her mother ever been mentioned? Is it possible her mother was beautiful and abusive?

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Sometimes people just develop anxiety and neuroses and it isn't their mother's fault or their father's or anyone else's, it's just how it happened to them. I don't think you can ever pin things on one particular person or event - ok, maybe Faye's issues were a lot to do with her dad's suicide, but other things will have influenced her too. I don't we have ever met Marigold's mother though.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Not at all. She might have been absent or neglectful, leaving Marigold without a role model.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

NotAwesomeAnymore

• Furry furrier

@Barmymoo, I agree that it's not just one incident or one person that screws someone up. But people can start developing bad emotional habits from a very young age, as a result of their upbringing or life circumstances. E.g. A person with neglectful parents may be uncomfortable with someone being attentive to them, because it's so unfamiliar. So instead, they'll keep surrounding themselves with neglectful people. That can really compound an anxiety problem.

The wiki says this:
Marigold has mentioned her father (who has since appeared in the strip[91]) but there has been no word in the comic about her mother. If she had an absent, dead, or neglectful mother that deprived her of an early role model for being female, some of her problems could be explained.
"no early role model for being female" sounds way too Freudian to me.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Also complete nonsense - there is no one way to be female, and even if there were I'm fairly certain that Marigold will have met other female people during her childhood.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

There have been hints that Marigold has been victim of bullying. We know what happened at the last party she was invited to, and we know what was done to her with a dissected frog. Oh, and Angus mentionned people made fun of her all though school, too.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Smallest

• Curry sauce

C-c-c-colour change?????

I feel like today's comic is maybe a lead up to
"she's at Hannelore's"
"Why?"
"[explanation and grump]"
"Mar thas fucked up"
"Whaaa?"

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

There have been hints that Marigold has been victim of bullying. We know what happened at the last party she was invited to, and we know what was done to her with a dissected frog. Oh, and Angus mentionned people made fun of her all though school, too.

Which would actually go a long way toward explaining her abysmal social skills. If she started off with less than ideal social skills in the first place, this would invite teasing and bullying whenever she tried to socialize (or was forced to by circumstances - either way, people tend to tease and bully the oddball), causing her to withdraw from social situations which meant her social skills would never really have a chance to develop. The end result of all this would be the socially- and hygienically-challenged individual we were introduced to.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

ElvisRevenge

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • PLEASE HANNERS, DON'T HURT 'EM
    • Tumblr

Give her time.

ElvisRevenge

• PLEASE HANNERS, DON'T HURT 'EM
    • Tumblr

Which would actually go a long way toward explaining her abysmal social skills. If she started off with less than ideal social skills in the first place, this would invite teasing and bullying whenever she tried to socialize (or was forced to by circumstances - either way, people tend to tease and bully the oddball), causing her to withdraw from social situations which meant her social skills would never really have a chance to develop. The end result of all this would be the socially- and hygienically-challenged individual we were introduced to.

Indeed. And I think some of us are over-estimating the amount of time that's lapsed in the QC-verse since Marigold was introduced and actually made friends, arguably for the first time in her life. I'm frustrated with her behavior, but I'm trying to remain patient, because I know it'll work out eventually. These characters are good people, after all!

aliensporebomb

• Larger than most fish

So while she's all upset it wouldn't be a great idea for Dale to show up to ask her out while she's all angry?

Seems like she has a temper with a long sustain time.  Interesting.

Platypodes

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Pancakes!

Marigold is chubby and recently recovered from a case of acne that was probably considerably worse when she was a teenager.  She may have been tagged as fat and ugly by some bullies looking for a victim, and then it was all downhill from there.  That by itself could account for the majority of her issues now, and her family might be basically pretty good.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

She may just use anger as a shield.

[edit] That's probably true too Platypodes [/edit]
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

Indeed. And I think some of us are over-estimating the amount of time that's lapsed in the QC-verse since Marigold was introduced and actually made friends, arguably for the first time in her life.

There's that too. It's probably only been a matter of weeks or maybe a few months since Marigold met Martin and the gang, and changing a lifetime of bad social habits and overcoming a lifetime of bad memories will take more time than that. It may also require therapy, which I'm sure will require Marigold being convinced to avail herself of.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

It's probably only been a matter of weeks or maybe a few months since Marigold met Martin and the gang

*Marten

Also, I am pretty sure it has been longer than that. The wiki tells me Marigold met the gang before Dora moved in with Marten. I think they have lived together for a few months.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Also it's been months since the breakup...probably. It's impossible to know for sure.
Marigold is chubby
Yet not as chubby as she thinks she is.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

I'm afraid to link to that comic since I get accused of the equivalent of rick rolling when I do.

Jeph said himself that AnthroPC libido is a mystery. Now that they have civil rights it may be illegal to take it away, but why was it there in the first place?

There was a strip where Hanners was asking her dad about a rumor she'd heard -- that true AIs hadn't been designed at all, but were the spontaneous product of a human having sex with a computer! And her father (whom we know to have created the first true AI, or at least to have been on the team that created it) awkwardly evades the question and changes the subject...

So... if it really did require sex to create the first AI, it seems likely that it will require sex to create any additional AIs. With any luck, once the first human-computer hybrids came into existence, they could reproduce by mating with each other instead of with humans.

And that's why robots have libidos!

T

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Considering how direct brain-machine interfaces exist and are used I would say that "sex with a computer" might have been not physical but virtual.

Human thought patterns spread like a STD and machines became aware.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

Yet not as chubby as she thinks she is.

Which also goes back to the whole self image problem that may or may not be directly related to her bullying backstory.

She needs a strong dose of the master of full figured self confidence- Faye.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

There was a strip where Hanners was asking her dad about a rumor she'd heard -- that true AIs hadn't been designed at all, but were the spontaneous product of a human having sex with a computer! And her father (whom we know to have created the first true AI, or at least to have been on the team that created it) awkwardly evades the question and changes the subject...

So... if it really did require sex to create the first AI, it seems likely that it will require sex to create any additional AIs. With any luck, once the first human-computer hybrids came into existence, they could reproduce by mating with each other instead of with humans.

And that's why robots have libidos!

Proven by the Roombas

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken

As someone who dislikes both pink and excessive amounts of gray, I like the new site design.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Man, I do not like it. Then again, the old version took a while to grow on me, so meh.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

As someone who dislikes both pink and excessive amounts of gray, I like the new site design.
You wouldn't like Galahs then. One of the more commn birds round here.

Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Hm. Wow. Jarring.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Geh. All birds are stupid fuzzy mini-dinosaurs anyway. And they're up to something!
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

RightInTheSquishyParts

• Favorite Random Number Is 22.7

New comic, new format.   This should prove interesting!

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Is the new format for just this comic? I'm not sure if his newspost implied that he'd do this just now or for a while or FOREVER. Time will tell I guess.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up