THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 08:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Working on my Voice  (Read 5142 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Working on my Voice
« on: 18 Dec 2013, 19:28 »

Oh goddess just close this thread now. Do it. Save yourselves.  :psyduck:

I've been working on my voice a little. Cause I'd like it to not suck.

To give you an example of the level of suck I'm working with, here's me running through a sea shanty.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/saygaz/bully-in-the-ally[/soundcloud]

Obviously I'm at a bit of a disadvantage because it's Acapella, and I know I tripped on "Sal" here and there for some reason...

Here's what it should sound like:
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
Re: Working on my Voice
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2013, 19:46 »

First:  don't worry about the "a cappella", sea shanties are ALWAYS sung a cappella, although not necessarily in the style of chapel or church music. 

Second:  sing as if there will be a large tot of dark rum waiting for you at the end of your shift. 

Third:  there are approximately 1,532,378 sea shanties available in this world, sing all of them.

Fourth:  keep on singing, you are certainly no worse than many of us who sing sea shanties in the shower, and think we're sailors.

Dim ond yn cadw ar ganu, frawd. 

a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2013, 19:53 »

I am at the very least not a pollywog!

Edit: Wow, the metronome I used is really loud... and it's in a headphone in my ear  :psyduck:
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2013, 18:28 »

Yeah. Looking back at it that track is horrible in every possible way, even compared to my actual ability.

So here's this. Still terrible, a couple different songs and slightly better quality. An actual mike would probably help a lot of the issues I'm running into.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/saygaz/medley-test[/soundcloud]

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2013, 00:38 »

I can't get Soundcloud to work on my PC for some reason, but the best advice I can give to you Garand is sing all the time, whenever you can, as loud as you can. Doing that broadened my range, gave me a ton of vocal power that even after becoming a smoker I can't truly get rid of and helped me solidify my technique.

More than any instrument I've played, I've found that practice makes perfect when it comes to singing.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.
Pages: [1]   Go Up