THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 04:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fake Discussion : Red is the most superior color of the spectrum!  (Read 18406 times)

blacksinow

• Curry sauce

So I thought about an interesting activity, a fake debate. We are debating on whether or not the color red is the most superior color in the visual spectrum.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

No it isn't.

*click*
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

This isn't an argument it's just contradiction!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

No it isn't.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

We've got an eater!

I'll get the oven on.

...wait did I mess this up?

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.

Nah, it was perfect. Never change.
My Art.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Aw shucks.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

From a study, we found that 87,3% of Americans prefer watching the color red to sharing a enclosed space with an angry porcupine. Buy the color red today!

(click to show/hide)
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I read that in a Bioshock type fake perky voice and it helped.

blacksinow

• Curry sauce

Well you know, the blues are ALWAYS angry and they've hated red... Neither of them really like the color purple.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

*nudge* Salvage job's unnecessary, bro. The patient's already dead, and we've molested its corpse.

Well, I have anyway, and Loki probably has. Anyone else? Anyone molest it yet? There's still time, it's warm!

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
My Art.

Lines

• Awakened

Blue and green foster learning and seriously if you ever have an accent wall in a classroom, I can almost always guarantee it's blue or green. Maybe purple. But never red. Red is distracting. And the color of bloody weddings!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss

RED
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Indigo
Violet
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Reeeeed the blood of angry men!

I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

RED

There, that should do it.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

White is the best color because it's all colors combined!  Or maybe that's black.

Lines

• Awakened

Black is the absorption of all colors, white is the reflection.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Especially talking about the colour spectrum? Photons of most other colours are of higher energy! Red can't be superior!
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Red is an auspicious colour that frightens away demons! It symbolises fire, joy, and good fortune.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Loki

• comeback tour!

Especially talking about the colour spectrum? Photons of most other colours are of higher energy! Red can't be superior!
This reminds me I actually held a presentation on the color red in my arts class. (We all did presentations on different colors).
Now if I remembered anything else of it, it surely would come in handy now.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

Paintings with the colour red in them sell quicker and for more money than other paintings.

Here are some more tips from John Baldessari:
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.

That's depressing.
My Art.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

I hear red is the new blue this season

Lines

• Awakened

Paintings with the colour red in them sell quicker and for more money than other paintings.

That reminds me of a saying one of my professors for us:

If you can't make it good, make it big. If you can't make it big, make it red.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

Ha! I love that.

I generally try to go for "good", but "big" is another favorite of mine.  :wink:

God, I miss having access to a huge studio like I did in school. Some of my smallest paintings were 24"x36". Average was around 40x60.

*With regard to the topic at hand: It should be noted that violet/purple is often symbolically used to represent royalty and thus, is better.  :-P
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

Didn't that have to do with the relative scarcity of the colours in question? Usually when a colour is rare and expensive, royalty will want to be seen in it.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male

thou commoners should be respectful of the Noble Color.
it isn't RED.

it's SCARLET
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Loki

• comeback tour!

Wearing purple stripes on their togas was the prerogative of some of the highest statesmen in Ancient Rome, because purple is so goddamn rare and had to be made from snails.

You can imagine a snail does not give a lot of color.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I prefer burgundy, myself.

Like the color of my new car.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Aimless

Red placebo pills are more effective than placebo pills of other colours.

White is the best color because it's all colors combined!

White is a butt and you are also a butt!

Lines

• Awakened

Meh. Blue is better. The sky is blue! It makes me happy! I would be scared if the sky were red! Also blue fire is way cooler than not-blue fire!

God, I miss having access to a huge studio like I did in school. Some of my smallest paintings were 24"x36". Average was around 40x60.

I didn't paint, mostly did prints, drawings, and ceramics and typically preferred smaller things. I think I typically worked with in the 5x6-24x36 range. Mostly because bigger pieces of wood/lino/zinc are expensive! And ceramics can get very heavy very fast!

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

My tutors have told me to start painting 4x5 and 5x6 feet, which is kind of terrifying. I've never made anything that big before, but I think they're right. I should definitely do it while i have the chance.

Not sure I'll use a lot of red though, I subconsciously steer away from that colour for some reason.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

Didn't that have to do with the relative scarcity of the colours in question? Usually when a colour is rare and expensive, royalty will want to be seen in it.

It was actually about how they were able to make the color purple: the shells needed to make the pigment were hard to get and thus more expensive and thus could only be afforded by the rich and powerful- kings, nobility etc.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

I argue that Yellow is the most superior color as it is bound by neither gender and you would be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't like the color without some underlying cause  :-D

Lines

• Awakened

Yellow is a nice color. Orange is the bane of existence.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Personally I think the standard color for infants should be the previous standard color for lads. Pink. A strong color reminiscent of blood shed and glory found on the battlefield is the only way to mentally prepare for spawn for the horrors of the terrible life you've thrust upon them.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

Humans associate short-wavelength light (red, orange) with 'warm' colours and long-wavelength light (blue, violet) with 'cold' colours. We're hardwired to prefer warmth, which is why humans like red so much.

Pop quiz: The human eye is twice as sensitive to green as it is to red and violet. Also, plants are almost always green. Are these two things related?
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Loki

• comeback tour!

Yellow is a nice color. Orange is the bane of existence.
You'd hate my room.

LTK: I have no idea. If I had to guess, I'd say that being more sensitive to green makes you spot movements of predators or prey in the grass more easily and gives you an evolutionary advantage, but my first instinct would be no.

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

I prefer the greens. 

You can take some regular green and it signifies chlorophyl, freshness, life.  If you darken and desaturate it a bit, it seems dry and can almost pass for a earth tone.  lighten it up and put it on a very dark background and it can look electric or like plasma. 

Green is most certainly superior to red.

blacksinow

• Curry sauce

But red is the color of blood and the ONLY place where I've seen green blood is the americanized Knights of the Zodiac.

Aimless

Humans associate short-wavelength light (red, orange) with 'warm' colours and long-wavelength light (blue, violet) with 'cold' colours.

Minor quibble: I think it's the other way around (redder = longer wavelength)

We're hardwired to prefer warmth, which is why humans like red so much.

Another possibility is that we grow to like colours that we subconsciously associate with nice things :o red is also the colour of danger and sweet blushes. Or angry ones :o

Pop quiz: The human eye is twice as sensitive to green as it is to red and violet. Also, plants are almost always green. Are these two things related?

They may be, indirectly. The sun's peak energy output lies around the greenish wavelengths, so being extra sensitive to greenish photons will make life a little easier for animals who see (and being less sensitive ie. reflecting green photons will make life easier for plants who want to avoid sunburn :o). Sensitivity to green and red may also have been especially advantageous in our ancestral environments, whether we're talking about forests or the savannah.

Lines

• Awakened

Red/green colorblindness is the most common colorblindness. Obviously that makes those colors inferior!

(I actually really like green. My favorite colors are typically blue-greens, sometimes purples.)

Aimless

Red/green colorblindness is the most common colorblindness. Obviously that makes those colors inferior!

Ha! Clearly it makes those people inferior!

(click to show/hide)

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Blue wins.

Or else.

All hail Bluecifer!

(Bluecifer, formally titled "Blue Mustang" is a massive statue outside Denver International Airport)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

That pic made me think of the Deborah Harry version of Ghost Riders In The Sky:
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->

On a musical theme, no song with a colour in the title is better than Paint it Black. Thus black is far ahead of red in the superiority stakes.

blacksinow

• Curry sauce

Or we could argue that red is evil, because the nazi flag had red in it.

Nikolai

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • H-Hello? Is this thing on?

Wouldn't that by default also make both black and white evil as well?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

Minor quibble: I think it's the other way around (redder = longer wavelength)
Derp, yeah, I always get those mixed up.

Another possibility is that we grow to like colours that we subconsciously associate with nice things :o red is also the colour of danger and sweet blushes. Or angry ones :o
I think the ubiquity of the red effect points to nature rather than nurture. Also, red is only the colour of danger because humans decided that it should be so. Why did they? Because humans are already sensitive to red.

They may be, indirectly. The sun's peak energy output lies around the greenish wavelengths, so being extra sensitive to greenish photons will make life a little easier for animals who see (and being less sensitive ie. reflecting green photons will make life easier for plants who want to avoid sunburn :o). Sensitivity to green and red may also have been especially advantageous in our ancestral environments, whether we're talking about forests or the savannah.
Good guess, but like Loki, I think the answer is no. The second factor related to vision is the absorption spectrum of water. Animal vision takes advantage of the fact that wavelengths between 300 and 700 nm are the least absorbed by water. Green light, 500 nm, is able to pass through water the easiest! Since life evolved in the water, animals would have to have the ability to see through water first and foremost, which I think explains why our vision (and that of all animals) is centered around green light. We're out of the water now, but light still has to pass through our eyes, which are of course mostly water.

The biological reason we're more sensitive to green, by the way, is because rhodopsin, the light-sensitive molecule in the retina, is excited by light according to a normal distribution. Green light is at the center of that curve, and red and violet are more to the sides. But given the absorption spectrum of water, I think the reason that animals evolved rhodopsin that's sensitive to green light, rather than some other light-sensitive molecule, is because it lets you see through water.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up