THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fake Discussion : Red is the most superior color of the spectrum!  (Read 17929 times)

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->

Oi LTK, that's veering dangerously close to use of actual determinable facts. Please keep this discussion fake, or at least reasonably spurious.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

No one can stop me from regaling you with my facts! No one!

Blood is red because of the iron in hemoglobin. Copper-based oxygen transport, called hemocyanin, is blue.

Red fireworks are made with lithium salts and strontium salts.

Carmine is a red dye derived from carminic acid, which is extracted from an insect called the cochineal. It can cause severe allergic reactions in some people.

Mwahahahaha!
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male

I see red when I go on murderous rampages....

...oops.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

...so is Pink the anti-red? it's a red color but is associated with girls, femininity, flowers, and other things thought to be weaker...

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

You get pink if you combine the opposite sides of the visible spectrum: it's a combination of red and violet. It is the anti-green.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

blacksinow

• Curry sauce

Wouldn't that by default also make both black and white evil as well?

Or that they are linked to atrocities commited by specific nations, Brittain, Spain, Germany, America, Japan, and since nobody likes them... Canada :p

Nikolai

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • H-Hello? Is this thing on?

I like Canada...

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Are we taking that joke seriously? For real?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Lines

• Awakened

...so is Pink the anti-red? it's a red color but is associated with girls, femininity, flowers, and other things thought to be weaker...

Actually pink used to be a color for young boys because it's a tint of red! Light blue was for girls because it symbolized the Virgin Mary. And then in the 20s for some dumb reason it switched.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

The fact that people consider pink to be a tint of red when it is just as close to being a tint of violet further emphasises how sensitive we are to red.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

The fact that people consider pink to be a tint of red when it is just as close to being a tint of violet further emphasises how sensitive we are to red.

On the contrary, most shades of pink are red with hints of white added to it to soften and lighten the color. Violet makes the red darker due to the blue in it, making reds become scarlet and crimson and other colors but not pinkish.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

I think that depends on whether you're mixing pigments, or light.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

I think that depends on whether you're mixing pigments, or light.

True...most people would know it by pigments not by light so I stand by what I said

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Yes, they could tell from some of the pigments and from having seen quite a lot of pictures in their life.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

My tutors have told me to start painting 4x5 and 5x6 feet, which is kind of terrifying. I've never made anything that big before, but I think they're right. I should definitely do it while i have the chance.

Not sure I'll use a lot of red though, I subconsciously steer away from that colour for some reason.

I generally do too. Pink is fair game but red is used sparingly. Like Linds, I'm partial to blue-greens. Unlike Linds, I also enjoy orange :-P

I know they tell us to avoid it like the plague in art school but I love me a thick and juicy black outline.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Lines

• Awakened

One, it depends on the hue, and two, it depends on pigment vs. light and I'm pretty much always talking about pigment. I think you're talking more about the color magenta and less about baby pink (which is what I thought we were talking about?), which is a straight tint of red (usually crimson).

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Every girl needs a Little Red Dress.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

My favourite color is probably cobalt blue, or something similar. Also I should point out, I just discovered this thread, and it almost makes me regret banning its creator. Alas, it can survive without him. Also...
(click to show/hide)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

One, it depends on the hue, and two, it depends on pigment vs. light and I'm pretty much always talking about pigment. I think you're talking more about the color magenta and less about baby pink (which is what I thought we were talking about?), which is a straight tint of red (usually crimson).
True; I was mainly thinking of the definition of pink as light without green in it, which is indeed magenta. So I'm wrong about the perception of pink, but that does make me wonder why colour mixing works with RGB when blue isn't at the end of the spectrum. Two waves of light hitting your retina, one of 700 nm and the other of 450 nm, have the same effect as one wave of light of 400 nm. Why?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Honestly, when I think of "pink" I think of light purple. I know that's not technically accurate, but meh.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Every girl needs a Little Red Dress.

Yes.

Also a little black dress.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Lines

• Awakened

but that does make me wonder why colour mixing works with RGB when blue isn't at the end of the spectrum. Two waves of light hitting your retina, one of 700 nm and the other of 450 nm, have the same effect as one wave of light of 400 nm. Why?

I dunno. That's getting into Science! and not Aht! so I am clueless.

Honestly, when I think of "pink" I think of light purple. I know that's not technically accurate, but meh.

So...lavender?

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

True; I was mainly thinking of the definition of pink as light without green in it, which is indeed magenta. So I'm wrong about the perception of pink, but that does make me wonder why colour mixing works with RGB when blue isn't at the end of the spectrum. Two waves of light hitting your retina, one of 700 nm and the other of 450 nm, have the same effect as one wave of light of 400 nm. Why?
Guesswork: because perception of color isn't evenly distributed, as was said upthread. (I actually knew this because I recently researched how to recognize "dark" backgrounds vs "light" backgrounds on e.g. a webpage and adjust the font color brightness accordingly for easier reading. For anyone interested in that problem, see here)
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

My tutors have told me to start painting 4x5 and 5x6 feet, which is kind of terrifying. I've never made anything that big before, but I think they're right. I should definitely do it while i have the chance.

Not sure I'll use a lot of red though, I subconsciously steer away from that colour for some reason.

I generally do too. Pink is fair game but red is used sparingly. Like Linds, I'm partial to blue-greens. Unlike Linds, I also enjoy orange :-P

I know they tell us to avoid it like the plague in art school but I love me a thick and juicy black outline.

My tutors never told me to avoid red, but I guess they probably didn't do it because I never used it much in the first place. I've never gotten told off for using black outlines either, but I did get told off for being lazy and using black out of the tube. They want us to mix our own blacks (using viridian green and alizarin crimson) which I can totally understand since the pre-mixed one is really dull in comparison.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

So...lavender?
No, just really light purple.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

My tutors never told me to avoid red, but I guess they probably didn't do it because I never used it much in the first place. I've never gotten told off for using black outlines either, but I did get told off for being lazy and using black out of the tube. They want us to mix our own blacks (using viridian green and alizarin crimson) which I can totally understand since the pre-mixed one is really dull in comparison.

Ha! I used to get told that alllll the time. I was sneaky/lazy/poor (black is so much cheaper!) for a while and just mixed some viridian and alizarin into my tube black for a while but it really is worth it to mix it yourself.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Why are reds considered warmer than blues when an object has to be hotter to produce noticeable amounts of blue light that is has to be for red?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Are they? I thought blue was the warmest color.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

Why are reds considered warmer than blues when an object has to be hotter to produce noticeable amounts of blue light that is has to be for red?
How is that relevant when objects that are hot enough to glow have never existed together with humans in our evolutionary history? Well, except for the sun, but sunlight has never changed.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Wait, what?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

objects that are hot enough to glow have never existed together with humans in our evolutionary history?

In the days before humanity evolved central heating, there was this thing called a "fire" which contained glowing objects - and they were never blue.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Well. You can make fire that hot....

I also hear tell there's this thing called magma which stays in the red/yellow half of the spectrum. Red is also associated with blood, which is usually a fairly warm (literally) substance....
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

objects that are hot enough to glow have never existed together with humans in our evolutionary history?

In the days before humanity evolved central heating, there was this thing called a "fire" which contained glowing objects - and they were never blue.
I daresay that humans' ability to see colours will have evolved hundreds of thousands of years before fire was discovered. You could argue that the association between colour and temperature was only developed afterwards, but that raises the question of why we have evolved colour vision in the first place.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

Well, the sun is always yellow or orange, and fire did exist before humans learned to control it. Fire isn't exactly a human invention... Plus, the night is always dark and cold, and the colours you can see when it's dark are mostly blue and grey-ish. Plus, ice is often light blue due to the microorganisms that can live there.

However, we don't know when the associations were developed or if they changed, but I'd argue the associations various colours had before the stone age has little impact on how we perceive things today, that their colour associations were the same as ours or not doesn't really matter.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

If I remember anything from stellar science is that blue stars are the smallest and hottest stars, while red stars are the coldest and largest stars. Therefore, sometimes red does not equal hot the way we think it does  :-D :psyduck:

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

That's what I meant up there.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

How easy our lives would be if the human brain perceived things in a scientifically accurate way.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Meaning...what?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

With proper measurement!

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I wish I could see more colours than I do.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

That's what I meant up there.

My idiocy strikes again... :-(

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

How easy our lives would be if the human brain perceived things in a scientifically accurate way.

I'd settle for being able to get the brain to get on the same page as the memory...

Lines

• Awakened

So...lavender?
No, just really light purple.

That's what lavender is... A pastel purple.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

No, I mean I think of pink itself as a very light purple.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up