THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 18:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Movies that are considered bad that you enjoyed.  (Read 37083 times)

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues
Re: Movies that are considered bad that you enjoyed.
« Reply #150 on: 29 Oct 2014, 12:42 »

I wish that I could have ignored those plot elements in Sucker Punch. I went with my then-room mate to see it in theaters, and by the time it got to the first dream/dance/action sequence I was so much in a panic attack that I was ready to run out of the theater. Had I been there alone, or if the two of us hadn't been the only ones in the theater for that showing I would have. Aside from the those parts, which were awesomely over the top and great, that whole movie seemed designed to repeatedly kick me in all my anxiety/panic trigger points. I don't think I could even go back and just watch those action scenes again, and certainly not the movie. Just thinking about it makes me all panicky.

I think that (and Zack Snyder's name) are the reason it's considered bad. Sucker Punch is taking the notion of using fantasy as escapism up to 11, and leaving the audience to sort out the uncomfortable fact that the escapism is subbing for something horrendous. I think that's viewed as a cheap way to invoke emotion. Artifical rather than Artful. I can kind of see the point, but the movie is called Sucker Punch. Right out of the gate, it's saying this is going to be a cheap shot. There's an implicit challenge to that--can you dodge?

I think part of the negative attitude comes from the fact that most people either couldn't or ignored the subsurface plot and found it vapid.  I don't know if it's actually a good film at all. But I left the theater satiated on gonzo action and thinking, "The title did not lie. Sucker Punch. I was so busy fending off the obvious moves, I didn't see the cheap shot coming, and it got me." So I give it a B-. I got what I paid for, and I was warned, so I can't claim I was tricked.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #151 on: 29 Oct 2014, 16:02 »

If Zach Snyder is inherently associate with poor quality, then I'm gonna have to go with his remake (and debut, I think) of Dawn of the Dead. Possibly my favorite modern (non-comedy) horror movie. It's on par with Romero's.

Also Watchmen is excellent, and the one major thing he changed makes so much more sense.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #152 on: 29 Oct 2014, 16:34 »

My big guilty pleasure is old B movies... especially Plan 9 from Outer Space.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #153 on: 29 Oct 2014, 16:36 »

I honestly can't think of anyone who watched that movie and didn't enjoy it. To be fair, nobody who watches that movie goes in not knowing what they're in for.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #154 on: 29 Oct 2014, 17:00 »

Yeah, I guess if you're going to watch in the first place you're kinda predisposed to like it.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #155 on: 29 Oct 2014, 17:04 »

Also Watchmen is excellent, and the one major thing he changed makes so much more sense.

Finally, someone who agrees with me!
(click to show/hide)
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #156 on: 29 Oct 2014, 17:16 »

I don't even understand the negative view of Watchmen. I can't consider it a bad movie. That's why it's not on my list.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #157 on: 29 Oct 2014, 19:45 »

I just watched a movie called Split Second.  Rutger Hauer as a Loose Cannon Cop versus Scary Evil Thing in a flooded England.  It's not bad.  Not particularly good either, but still enjoyable.  And it has the mandatory straight-laced partner start yelling about how they need bigger fucking guns, which was oddly hilarious.

Split Second is one of my favorite good/bad movies.  I still remember watching it when it came out, and laughing my ass off so much.  So much of the story is just, "huh?" but then there's the moments of ,"too fucking small!"  and I really do like that movie.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #158 on: 29 Oct 2014, 22:53 »

I have one word for you

DOOM
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #159 on: 30 Oct 2014, 16:17 »

Waterworld

Castle of The Living Dead

Mario Bava's Black Sunday.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Stoon

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #160 on: 31 Oct 2014, 22:22 »

Oh!  The movie that I love the most that fits this category is Ice Pirates. 

So bad, that it's good.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #161 on: 31 Oct 2014, 23:59 »

Ugh. Space herpes.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #162 on: 01 Nov 2014, 02:17 »

Swinging in late for Sky Captain.

Watched two of my favorites that get lampooned a little here and there tonight.
Pandorum - Which remains one of my favorite movies but got no press and was received like lukewarm porridge in the middle of a busy release schedule
Dog Soldiers - My favorite Werewolf/Horror movie.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #163 on: 01 Nov 2014, 07:51 »

"Dog Soldiers" was a solid werewolf film, one of the better ones, really. Check out "Wolfen" if haven't seen it. It's not strictly speaking a werewolf movie, but it runs up close enough to warrant comparison.

One film I like that apparently a lot of people thought sucked is "Ravenous" with Guy Pierce and Robert Carlyle. I loved it.

In the so bad it's good category, I am going to recommend "Dead and Breakfast". It is laughably bad, but richly entertaining. The singing greek chorus/narrator is this cheesy country/rap fusion guy.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #164 on: 04 Nov 2014, 14:04 »

I loved Titan AE. I never got why it wasn't successful.

Also, Sleepy Hollow was incredibly enjoyable.

And as for Watchmen... I think the only people who think its bad are purists. I'm a huge fan of the original graphic novel, and the movie tells pretty much the same story, and the changed ending makes sense. Its not like V for Vendetta (which the movie is still enjoyable as a popcorn flick), where the whole point of the story was changed, and V is presented more as a hero than an agent of chaos, who only accomplishes "good" by being against a corrupt regime.

As for the Transformers movies... I just can't enjoy them. I know they are just big action popcorn flicks, and they succeed on that level (though the weird racism inherent with the two sidekick characters in that one really irks me). But its like... I guess because I've had a lot of exposure to much better Transformers fiction (old Marvel comic, TF Prime Cartoon, Current IDW comic runs), that I expect more. Trouble with being a fan I guess. Also, I collect TF toys, and the movie designs of having zero clean lines make for muddled, ugly toy designs. Movie TFers just look like a pile of junk thrown together.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #165 on: 04 Nov 2014, 20:42 »

I've only seen the first two Bay Transformers movie, probably because I really liked the first one. It was ridiculous fun, which made the second one all the more disappointing. All other problems aside, it was boring.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #166 on: 04 Nov 2014, 22:36 »

I expected nothing less from the Transformers than what we got.

Think of it this way: Now and then a graphic artist, designer or avant guarde architect will design something, Like a robot or something, and it will look awesome. Or you'll see a concept car, and looks. But then someone else sit down and makes a real product out of it and suddenly it does have the same flare.

Because flare is generally impractical.  Transformers look like they, for the most part, because they are toys. Talented people have done wonderfully clever things with modern tech that make cartoon accurate toys. As unrealistic as they are, they are probly more realistic than the movie designs because form followed function.

The movie designs were designed by designers. Form followed "look alien."

The problem with "look alien" is that it makes no damned sense. Think Halo. The Covenant and UNSC were roughly equivalent in tech, and clearly understood each other's weapons. But their equipment looked nothing alike. That's just wrong. Form follows function. Build a main battle tank for Russia or for Corblax b, one look at either will tell you these are the same general thing. Tanks look like they do, because it protects them from tank fire. Boats look like they do because that shape is the best general configuration for a boat. The physics of the environment drives everything towards certain minimum solutions.

Giant robots should not have that many fiddly, moving parts. Warrior robots should have that mucg exposed surface area. Robots that can self reconfigure would probably do so in way that minimized surface area exposed to enemy fire. And they'd probably optimize their shape on the fly.

But that would be hard to make sense of for the audience.

Federation starships are supposedly shaped the way they are because it helps them manage their warp fields. But if that were true, Klingon, Romulan, Ferengi, Tholian...any warp drive ship should look generally the same, just like most airplanes look generally the same. Starships that use the same tech look wildly different for the audience. Alien is expected to look aliens so it does.

And, in the end, the artists are right. Just like old school transformers wore pright primary colors, "look alien" helps audiences suspend disbelief, despite being logically unbelievable.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #167 on: 05 Nov 2014, 06:53 »

Form may follow function, but one could make a point for alien technology that fulfills an analogous function could still have a different fundamental basis and thus look considerably different. For instance, if an alien culture developed organic based tech instead of mechanical based tech, or projectile weaponry that uses repulsive fields instead of controlled chemical reactions. Plus, there is no shortage of examples from human history of needlessly ornate weaponry and armor.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #168 on: 05 Nov 2014, 08:33 »

Federation starships are supposedly shaped the way they are because it helps them manage their warp fields. But if that were true, Klingon, Romulan, Ferengi, Tholian...any warp drive ship should look generally the same, just like most airplanes look generally the same. Starships that use the same tech look wildly different for the audience. Alien is expected to look aliens so it does.

Well, if you look at TOS and film spinoffs, the ships were much closer in appearance. The Romulan Bird of Prey and the Klingon cruiser designs both had the same overarching design (with the warp nacelles kept at a distance from the hull). It's not 'til nearly a century later, in-universe, that you start to see designs like the Ferengi ships and the Defiant, but by then the technology would presumably have evolved to an extent that newer designs were possible (besides the fact that different civilizations would probably have found different ways to deal with warp field dynamics -- things often seem impossible 'til they're done).

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #169 on: 05 Nov 2014, 11:04 »

Well, if you look at TOS and film spinoffs, the ships were much closer in appearance. The Romulan Bird of Prey and the Klingon cruiser designs both had the same overarching design (with the warp nacelles kept at a distance from the hull). It's not 'til nearly a century later, in-universe, that you start to see designs like the Ferengi ships and the Defiant, but by then the technology would presumably have evolved to an extent that newer designs were possible (besides the fact that different civilizations would probably have found different ways to deal with warp field dynamics -- things often seem impossible 'til they're done).
That's what design creep looks like when there's no realistic constraint. It's like speculative architecture. Some of that stuff might be possible, but most of it is butt ugly. And a lot isn't even possible. But people are developing it because it is different

Anyway, the different solutions argument only works if physics are different from one place to another. Grossly speaking there are probably dozens of material configurations that will make a thing that is watertight and floats. But ocean going ships all have the same basic hull shape. Because physics.

If the Cardassian solution to warp physics is worse than the federation solution, they would have moved their designs toward the Fed shape. If it's better, Federation design would trend towards the cardassian shape. If it is equal, everyone else's ships would look fed like or cardassian like.

The possibility that warp physics has a dozen or more equally effective solutions, after roughly 800 years in this corner of the galaxy, and nigh on 2000in the Gamma quadrant, is thin. The problem boils down to design creep, pure and simple. I don't mind post hoc justification for fictional elements, but a post hoc justification doesn't change what my examples mean in the case of the Transformers.
Form may follow function, but one could make a point for alien technology that fulfills an analogous function could still have a different fundamental basis and thus look considerably different. For instance, if an alien culture developed organic based tech instead of mechanical based tech, or projectile weaponry that uses repulsive fields instead of controlled chemical reactions. Plus, there is no shortage of examples from human history of needlessly ornate weaponry and armor.
This still takes the form of a post hoc justification. The Movie Transformers we're not organic and seem to use kinetic and particle beam weapons.

Abrams are basically just kinetic weapons 2; electric boogaloo. Ultimately the forms of defense will follow the same logic I outlined before.

But let's say they have a force field technology that justifies the angles and pointy bits that would serve to help enemy weapons penetrate (just like the weird armor of our past, and why practical armor evolved away from ornate details. Also why people who understand the principles of things like plate and mail have such disdain for "boob armor." Boob shaped armor is a good way to help guide the enemy's sword through your sternum). Why can they punch through the force field?  Anti-aircraft force field does not fit, because that would make throwing the enemy pointless. As we see the robots throw each other often enough, it's likely that we aren't dealing with a force field technology that does anything useful in hand to hand. Which makes one wonder how it can stop bullets, and why it's vulnerable to discarding sabot rounds? It's clearly not the dune style slow weapons pass thing because the whole point of a sabot is to make the bullet much fast.

My point is not that other solutions don't exist. It's that the artist who sits down and justifies the images then remains consistent with that basis is a rare thing. And the reason it is rare is that audiences don't easily grasp the logic. They do grasp blue eyes are good, red glowing eyes are evil. They understand that alien is equal to strange looking, so by making the robots pointy, and giving them lots of strange planes and angles, we can gloss over the fact that the have the same trunk plus five limb bilateral symmetric body plan as we do. And, in general, it works.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #170 on: 05 Nov 2014, 11:13 »

I wasn't speaking of Transformers, I've never seen the movie nor do I have any interest in doing so. Not my kind of movie. I was just speaking in general terms. There are justifications for wildly different aesthetics achieving similar ends. Enough so that they don't even need to be stated in the work itself unless that information is pertinent to the story being told.
@syleegrrl

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #171 on: 05 Nov 2014, 12:31 »

I wasn't speaking of Transformers, I've never seen the movie nor do I have any interest in doing so. Not my kind of movie. I was just speaking in general terms. There are justifications for wildly different aesthetics achieving similar ends. Enough so that they don't even need to be stated in the work itself unless that information is pertinent to the story being told.

I was speaking of the Transformenrs when I brought the topic up however. Beyond that point, yes. There are rationally consistent reason for things that may not be obvious.  For example, The burrowing tentacle horrors known a mimics in The Edge of Tomorrow look like they do because they are force evolved starfish. That's from the book the movie is based on, and isn't covered in the film at all.

But most aesthetic choice are made because "it will look cool." Hell, I'm developing a thing, and I've already run into that problem. The geometry a vaguely plausible Alcubierre warp is a sphere. And ship has to fit inside the flat space time inside that sphere. That flat space time is also a sphere. The most efficient ship design will fill that space time as completely as the warp allows, so the ship should be a sphere.

I don't want spherical spaceships. Form is no longer leading function. I'm forcing function to conform to form, because no one knows if an Alcubierre warp is actually possible. So I'm still trying to be consistent.

That said, My point really is that it's just not reasonable to expect Hollywood to start from function to get form in a real world manner. The Function of a Hollywood design is to entertain. It's form follows that. I don't judge Bay's Transformers on how hard it is to make a decent toy out of them, because that wasn't what they were made for.

They were made to sell cars. Their Alt modes happen to look exactly like the cars they were made to sell.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #172 on: 05 Nov 2014, 20:09 »

If the Cardassian solution to warp physics is worse than the federation solution, they would have moved their designs toward the Fed shape. If it's better, Federation design would trend towards the cardassian shape. If it is equal, everyone else's ships would look fed like or cardassian like.

This also explains why every midsize sedan from every manufacturer in the 90's looks like a half used bar of soap.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #173 on: 06 Nov 2014, 16:18 »

That still doesn't explain the Borg Cube

I mean, come on, a ship the size of that traveling at Warp and it's basically an oversized Rubik's Cube??!!!!
James The Kugai 

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #174 on: 06 Nov 2014, 16:49 »

Imagine if solving a rubrick's cube was the weakness of the borg cube. Like you solve it then the borg cube implodes.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #175 on: 06 Nov 2014, 18:44 »

But what if you solve it and get Borg Cenobites. That is like, even worse than where you started.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #176 on: 06 Nov 2014, 23:28 »

Okay, I'm going to google Borg Cenobite now.  Brb.

EDIT: Nuts.  Lots of comparison blog entries and a few really terrible-looking fanfics.  I was hoping for badass fanart or something. 

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #177 on: 07 Nov 2014, 10:30 »

I'm pretty sure the borg cube was an artistic way of conveying the forced conformity of the collective.

I'm still impressed by the production's success at making a platonic solid seem menacing in Q Who? And Best of Both Worlds (inclusive).

Honestly, in keeping with my thoughts on form following function- the cube would be even more impressive if everything else stuck to the rules. It disdained warp dynamic shaping, yet was faster than the Enterprise. That screams "we are more powerful than you." It underlines the futile in that old saw about resistance.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #178 on: 07 Nov 2014, 12:19 »

Then there's The Janeway Factor

James The Kugai 

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #179 on: 07 Nov 2014, 12:28 »

At the risk of the topic, my theory is, as far as the age old question goes: Who would win the fight? Kirk or Picard?

The answer is Kathryn Janeway.

mikmaxs

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #180 on: 07 Nov 2014, 13:19 »

A couple things:
One, WILL SMITH NEVER SAYS 'Welcome to Erf.' Go back and watch it: He clearly says 'Earth.' I don't know why people quote it like that.

As for KotCS, I feel like it has five shortcomings:
One, the Nuclear Fridge
Two, Shia Labouf's character and performance. (After seeing Fury I don't think he's a bad actor, but Mutt was just terrible and ultimately didn't do much.)
Three, Aliens. Or Trans-dimensional beings? The ending is never explained, and it feels like it was rushed and not thought out properly.
Four, the villain (The Russians,) don't actually feel evil, and it's never really shown why there's a clear and present danger. It's implied that... Something bad... Might happen, but we never see them brutally attack innocents, or do anything explicitly evil. Even when they fun down guards at that warehouse, we don't see the bodies, and the Americans cause more harm to Indy at the beginning than the Russians do.
Finally, Harrison Ford. He's a great actor, but he's just too old to play a character like Indy. You don't want to live vicariously through a crotchety old man who looks kind of sleepy the entire movie.

That being said, I'm a huge fan of Skycaptain in the World of Tomorrow. Oh, and I really liked The Amazing Spider Man: 2.
Don't mind me.

mikmaxs

« Reply #181 on: 07 Nov 2014, 13:26 »

On Star Wars: They're fun to watch for the action sequences, where the special effect shine and the money poured into the CGI budget comes through. Most of the criticism is that in between the stellar action, most of the cinematography is bland and boring, and the characters are, overall, lacking in an emotional draw and often confused as to how they should be acting. (Obi-Wan, as a Jedi Master training his apprentice to be patient, wise, and thoughtful but he yells a lot, makes impulsive decisions, reckless attacks, and shows poor judgement through most of the movie.)
Don't mind me.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #182 on: 07 Nov 2014, 13:43 »

I was with KotCS until "oh, aliens." It's actually pretty pulp, it's just that Indy'a big screen adventures never implied sci-fi before.

mikmaxs

« Reply #183 on: 07 Nov 2014, 14:20 »

I should clarify: I don't think that KotCS is a BAD movie, it's just a bad Indiana Jones movie. If it had starred some other main character, kind of MacGeyvery, and been done as a homage to pulp sci-fi and action flicks, it would have been a good movie. Trying to keep it in the franchise killed it.
Don't mind me.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #184 on: 09 Nov 2014, 09:07 »

Just because there weren't aliens before means there can't be aliens now?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #185 on: 09 Nov 2014, 17:46 »

I was with KotCS until "oh, aliens." It's actually pretty pulp, it's just that Indy'a big screen adventures never implied sci-fi before.

You're right, previously the only things that were implied were magic and divine intervention.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #186 on: 23 Nov 2014, 19:16 »

i saw jurassic park 3 a while ago,  and oh my bog it is amazing.

everything in it is either nonsensical or cliche'd, or just completely over the top, and all without even a hint at any pretense of scientific plausibility.

it is so much fun.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #187 on: 24 Nov 2014, 06:14 »

That film is dumb entertainment for the most part but has two things which make me want to shoot the TV screen, Elvis style.

1. The Spinosaurus being brought in just to fuck up a T-Rex. What a giant 'fuck you' to the audience. Reminds me of when comic or wrestling writers get hardons for particular characters or gimmicks they've created and have them beat someone important as if that'll make everyone go OOOOOOH THIS GUY IS A BIG DEAL rather than 'FUCK YOU I WANT MY FAVOURITE BACK'

2. First Jurassic Park film - T-Rex footsteps so loud that you can hear them coming from miles away.
JP3 - You hear the phone ringing in a Spinosaurus's stomach BEFORE YOU HEAR HIS FOOTSTEPS??
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #188 on: 24 Nov 2014, 08:19 »

Batman and Robin.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #189 on: 24 Nov 2014, 08:30 »

The people hating on Batman and Robin have, I feel, missed the point entirely.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #190 on: 24 Nov 2014, 08:45 »

I was just bored watching it.  What did I miss?  I know its suppose to be campy as hell.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #191 on: 24 Nov 2014, 08:56 »

Probably should've clarified *most people.

If it bored you then sure. But many people hate on it because that film is goofy as shit, and knows it is, and has no plans to be anything different.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #192 on: 24 Nov 2014, 10:18 »

1. The Spinosaurus being brought in just to fuck up a T-Rex. What a giant 'fuck you' to the audience. Reminds me of when comic or wrestling writers get hardons for particular characters or gimmicks they've created and have them beat someone important as if that'll make everyone go OOOOOOH THIS GUY IS A BIG DEAL rather than 'FUCK YOU I WANT MY FAVOURITE BACK'
see, that's the thing though; it is such a ham-handed, inept, and cliche turn in the story, that i can't even help but laugh at it.

2. First Jurassic Park film - T-Rex footsteps so loud that you can hear them coming from miles away.
JP3 - You hear the phone ringing in a Spinosaurus's stomach BEFORE YOU HEAR HIS FOOTSTEPS??
and that's the point where the movie becomes indistinguishable from self-parody. i mean, how can you possibly not laugh at this goofy shit?

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith
« Reply #193 on: 24 Nov 2014, 10:27 »

I saw JP 3 on a date way back when I was still in high school.  In retrospect, that should have been a omen as to how that relationship was going to end.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #194 on: 24 Nov 2014, 11:35 »

You got eaten by raptors?
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith
« Reply #195 on: 24 Nov 2014, 12:51 »

Yes.  I got better, though.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #196 on: 25 Nov 2014, 10:48 »

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #197 on: 25 Nov 2014, 16:40 »

For the occation of the new Jurassic Park World trailer, I'll mention JP 2 & 3 here. Bad movies as they might be, they still have the #1 important thing of a Jurassic Park movie; dinosaurs being awesome.

Just to be that guy, the spinosaur was possibly up to twice the size of a t-rex, so a fight should have tilted in it's favor. Now if that was a cool thing to do from a writing perspective.. Probably not.
« Last Edit: 25 Nov 2014, 16:53 by Edguy »
I dunno..

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #198 on: 30 Nov 2014, 17:46 »

I liked Lady in the Water.

24% on Rotten Tomatoes, alrightttttt.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #199 on: 03 Dec 2014, 18:56 »

I liked Lady in the Water.

Oh my god, there's someone else out there that liked it too?!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up