THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resolutions 2014- Let's do this!  (Read 7701 times)

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
Resolutions 2014- Let's do this!
« on: 30 Dec 2013, 20:28 »

Yep, it's that time of year again, folks! Resolution time. And we need a thread for this shiz!

I am feeling strangely motivated and on top of things. So...let's do this! Did you know that only 8% of people who make resolutions stick to them? (According to TIME magazine, anyway) Let's change that!! I actually do pretty well with mine but I always make sure they are realistic/small and thus, attainable.

How did you do on last year's resolutions? What were they? What are your resolutions for 2014?

I'll do mine tomorrow- the Nyquil is starting to kick in..... :-P
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
Re: Resolutions 2014- Let's do this!
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2013, 23:17 »

Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I don't know if I have any resolutions for 2013 but I have a couple of achievable goals.

1. Reapply for Masters of Clinical Psych.

2. Eat food, mostly vegetables. Not too much.

3. Exercise regularly.

4. Finish the Isgahaatt EP.

5. Work on my crippling self esteem issues.

I guess that's fine. I don't really have a lot of hope for the future at the moment so hopefully these are enough.

Ok so:
1. I did this. I even got an interview. I even got in. Definitely the biggest thing that happened this year.

2. Hah. Nope.

3. Kind of! I started going to the gym 4 times a week. Got pretty good at it but have fucked out since I got back from Vienna. Have to try harder to keep it up. I have lost like, 7 or 8 kilos, I've dropped a shirt size and a trouser size, and I've gone from lifting 20kgs to 45kgs.
Pretty good.

4. Mastering was finished on Christmas Eve so we're going to be releasing the EP in the next six months (shopping it around to labels first to see if we can land anything).

5. Difficult. I'm on antidepressants and they're working well I think. I still hate myself but I'm starting to feel OK about my body image. Baby steps. Partial credit.

I think I've done well this year.

For next year I think I can get a few things ok:

1. Study really fucking hard.
Masters is going to kick the shit out of me if I let it so I've really gotta be on top of it. At least in Rockhampton there will be very few distractions (though I'm sure I'll find some).

2. Get in shape.
Ideally I'd like to lose another 20kgs. I'm pretty happy with the amount I'm lifting so I don't care if that goes up or not. It probably will just by default. Luckily the gym is going to be my main procrastination tool while I'm at uni so this might even be doable.

3. Have more sex.
Pretty self-explanatory. I want to fuck more. It's somewhat out of my control but we'll see what happens I guess.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2013, 04:15 »

Resolve means you get shit done, and tell people about it after if you must.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2013, 04:33 »

My new year's resolution: 2560x1440.

Actual resolutions: lose more weight, decide on a career and get a job in that field, have fun.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2013, 04:45 »

Stop being a lazy fuck at university, get an A on my Bachelor's Thesis, get in shape.

That's pretty much it. Hope I'll get at least one right, especially the first one. We'll see.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2013, 05:28 »

My new year's resolution: 2560x1440.
[...]
... oh, boy ...
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2013, 07:07 »

(click to show/hide)

I did pretty well this past year on 2013's resolutions but it almost seems as though I've un-done my 2012s. I slipped up on my meds, accumulated more stuff than I've gotten rid of and lost about 20 pounds but then gained it all back. Ugh. I was really starting to feel better too, and now I'm feeling very blah. I don't necessarily want to make a weight loss resolution but most of my resolutions this year are about treating my body better and appreciating it for what it can do instead of what it can't. And I think that alone might lead to some weight loss. If it does? Great. If it doesn't? I will not beat myself up over it.

-Drink more water. I've talked about this before here, I hate the taste of water. I can deal with some bottled water but dislike the idea of all the waste it creates. I drink a lot of coffee and tea and started drinking Mio and Tang. Much better than before, but I just have GOT to get over this water thing.

-Eat more fruits and veggies. Eat less crap. Less processed foods, less fat, less sodium, less junk. There is no way I'll even consider cutting it all out completely because let's face it- food that is bad for you tastes damn good. But food that is good for you tastes just as good, if not better.

-Do some yoga. I'm contemplating 29 classes by the time I'm 29. I think it's do-able! I need to find something to do with my FSA because I opted in for too much (we had 50% responsibility for our high deductible- now the company pays the first $3K). I just need an Rx for it, which I think I can get out of my GP. I found a local studio that offers a 30 class card for $270!

-Do more cardio. I've been a regular at the gym this year (with the exception of sick time) but I want to do more high intensity stuff. Weights are great, but they don't really burn a lot of calories...

-Work on the med thing. EVERY DAY. I've got a bizarro teenage rebellion thing happening with medication. Or "I'll take it later" and later turns into 2 weeks. They help me, there is no reason to behave like this.

-Seriously start the 52 week organizing challenge. I've enforced a "project time"- 4 hours of productivity every Saturday. Have been at it for maybe 4-6 weeks? I just need to focus it a little bit more.

-Save more money. I've cut back a lot on frivolous expenses but my spending can be reined in a little more. I'd really love to do seriously bare bones grocery shopping- only buying shelf stable things at stock up prices and spending about $20 a week on meats/veggies.

-Read more books. Another possible 29 by 29.  :-)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2013, 09:01 »

study, loose weight, continue dating, be merry
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #8 on: 31 Dec 2013, 09:38 »

Learn something. Anything? A new language (natural or programming).

Lose weight. Dropping chocolate worked a few years ago. Would it help again?

Remember to go to bed early - and to take the meds.

Don't try to do too hard those things that don't come naturally.

Be nicer to all. YOLO.

and HNY to y'all. Sorry about being  twenty-five minutes late. Imma bit drunk, so I didn't notice.
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2013, 14:29 by Skewbrow »
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2013, 10:13 »

You Obviously Love Owls? I mean owls are pretty cool, but I'm not sure how you can make a resolution out of it...
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec 2013, 13:02 »

ADOPT ALL THE OWLS.

Naturally. :-P

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: 31 Dec 2013, 13:49 »

Alright, 2013 is almost over so here are my resolutions for 2014

1. Get a better job: I've been at Petsmart for 4 years and I'm starting to get tired of it. The hours vary every week and the pay is a little above minimum wage.

2. Start running: I've been at the gym since I moved in with my girlfriend so I'm starting to get into shape, but now I want to start running like I planned on when I bought the running shoes.

3. Work on side projects: I have a lot of ideas for side projects and I want to flesh them out more

4. Read some of the comics I've saved: I have a bookmarked folder full of comics that look interesting that I have yet to read. Time to go through them and see which ones I should keep.

« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2013, 14:23 by Blue Kitty »

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #12 on: 31 Dec 2013, 16:42 »

Cannot think of any resolutions right now, but a happy New Year, everybody whom it may concern!
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 31 Dec 2013, 21:31 »

People down here just got a good excuse to make smoking their New Years Resolution.  There was a 10% Tax rise on Cigarettes that kicked in at Midnight taking the average price for a packet of smokes to $17.00.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #14 on: 31 Dec 2013, 21:55 »

Holy crap! And I thought the $10/pack here was crazy...

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #15 on: 31 Dec 2013, 22:06 »

Resolutions for 2014:

1. Talk more with my sunshine.
2. Drink more to have more fun.
3. Don't be angry at your sisters.
4. Record at least 3 songs professionally.
5. Write new songs and stories,
6. Get over the fucking past.
7. Don't be angry at yourself.
8. Masturbate less
9. Exercise regularly.
10. Publish a short story.
11. Study.
12. Eat.
13. Breathe.
14. Kiss
15. Love.

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #16 on: 31 Dec 2013, 23:16 »

Remove caffeine from my life. I've already removed caffeinated sodas and the difference was pretty noticeable, I feel healthier and less stressed, I have no early morning classes next semester so it's a good opportunity to try.

Getting rejected from donating blood due to low iron was a big wake-up call that my diet isn't as balanced as I thought it was, so I should work on that.

Create a budget and keep financial records. As I get older I'm getting more responsibilities, and just paying for shit as it comes without keeping track isn't going to work for much longer.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #17 on: 01 Jan 2014, 11:49 »

I have no fucking idea. I would try to quit smoking again but I just don't think I'd do it.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #18 on: 01 Jan 2014, 11:54 »

I'm going to not buy any clothes, shoes, bags, accessories etc in 2014. I have more than enough stuff.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #19 on: 01 Jan 2014, 12:17 »

Sex with someone who DOESN'T turn out to be on the downlow or cheating would be cool. Sex with someone I'm in an actual relationship with (as opposed to the WAY TOO MUCH of not having sex with people I was in actual relationships that I did last year) would be cool too. I don't mean to start out on such a  physical thing, but I haven't had a fulfilled libido in eight years (and that was arguable), and it is getting frustrating.

Start medical treatments. For ANYTHING on the list of what's wrong with me. Insurance kicks in soon, supposedly, so hey there's something.

Keep trying to navigate that weird tangle of trying to be a good person, trying to make the world better, and trying not to be sad and lonely all the time. I find these are far too connected for my own good, as I understand them now.

Stop House Joint Resolution 6 of 2011 in Indiana.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 01 Jan 2014, 13:52 »

Holy crap! And I thought the $10/pack here was crazy...

That, if I guess right, is only the first step.  If ASH, the Anti-smoking organisation down here gets its way, there will eventually be a further increase to come later that will eventually take the price up, and possibly past, the $20.00 mark.
James The Kugai 

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #21 on: 01 Jan 2014, 14:44 »

How many cigarettes are in a pack?
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #22 on: 01 Jan 2014, 15:31 »

Assuming it's the same there, twenty, which would make that notable as being more than a dollar per cigarette.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #23 on: 01 Jan 2014, 15:45 »

So I want to work out more, continue my moves to eat better, and drastically reduce my soda pop intake.

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #24 on: 01 Jan 2014, 17:40 »

I'm going to not buy any clothes, shoes, bags, accessories etc in 2014. I have more than enough stuff.

That wouldn't work for me, I don't know what my problem is but I go through shoes really quickly.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #25 on: 01 Jan 2014, 17:47 »

One of my better songs and indeed vocal performances is one called Resolutions but I can't copy the link across on my phone.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #26 on: 01 Jan 2014, 17:55 »

That wouldn't work for me, I don't know what my problem is but I go through shoes really quickly.

I have so many pairs of shoes that that won't be a problem at all. I am going to make an exception for underwear though.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #27 on: 01 Jan 2014, 18:03 »

1) Get through at least half my backlog of games. This will be a huge challenge because I will quickly get more to replace the ones I finish and then some. Just need to learn to say no to sales...

2) Get to the point where I go to the gym five times a week. Currently I'm going zero times a week. Maybe even -1 times if we take diet and restaurant eating into consideration.

3) Get organized! Clean up my room (including that #%$#$ closet) and keep it that way. Find a solution to anything that is constantly causing clutter. Sell/toss out/donate anything I don't need or want.

4) Arrange a gaming night with the friends I have still in the area. We have too many board games and co-op video games that aren't seeing enough use. That needs to be fixed and I feel the need to be more proactive.

5) Get in touch with friends more, whether that's checking on them through the internet, talking/texting, or actual in-person visits.  I also want to post here more 'cause you people are awesome.

I'm sure I could easily double this list, but let's keep it actually manageable. I think I'm going to start some sort of handwritten journal where I do (bi-)weekly progress reports for myself.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 02 Jan 2014, 16:01 »

Assuming it's the same there, twenty, which would make that notable as being more than a dollar per cigarette.

Yup.  There are packs of 25 and 30, but as you can imagine they're a lot dearer.  Loose Tobacco was already up to around $35 a 50g pouch before the hike, and they'll be going up to.
« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2014, 16:14 by Kugai »
James The Kugai 

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #29 on: 02 Jan 2014, 16:03 »

Ha, what? Yeesh, I'm pretty sure it's cheaper than a pack of cigarettes here (which is why I know people who buy it to roll their own).

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #30 on: 02 Jan 2014, 16:15 »

Yeah.  Sorry, corrected my mistake in that Post.  It's been six or seven months since I was behind the counter, and since I'm a non-smoker, and we really didn't sell all that much in the Boolshop, I got the size and price wrong.
James The Kugai 

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #31 on: 02 Jan 2014, 16:19 »

You didn't change the price, which is what shocked me, not the size :roll:

(In New Jersey I think it's like $8 for a pack of cigarettes and maybe $5 for a thing of loose tobacco. Dunno, never buy either.)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #32 on: 02 Jan 2014, 16:20 »

No, but I got the size wrong.
James The Kugai 

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #33 on: 02 Jan 2014, 16:42 »

(click to show/hide)

1. Find a new job. The sooner the better.
2. Knit all of the things. It makes me happy.
3. Keep in touch with two of my besties that moved to NC. It was not easy to see them go and I tend to detach myself in order to make things easier. I don't want to detach myself, they're my besties. I miss them shitloads.
4. Stop getting sick all of the fucking time.
5. Continue being happy!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #34 on: 03 Jan 2014, 16:39 »

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #35 on: 03 Jan 2014, 18:52 »

See, I love gifs like that, but I wish they always came linked to the actual video.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #36 on: 05 Jan 2014, 13:23 »

I didn't make resolutions this year, but I have a bunch of goals I was already thinking about which I've cemented a little (for some reason this distinction helps me - plus I review and rework my goals mid-year rather than seeing it as a January thing) and they're basically just getting into the habit of doing things I feel I ought to do, like running every week and recycling stuff instead of putting it all in the bin because I can't figure out what day the recycling boxes are collected and also where can I put them and what goes in which one oh man this is too hard, which is what I've been doing for the last six months. It doesn't help that somehow the lids have wandered off so if I leave the boxes outside they'll get full of random rubbish and probably not be collected as a result.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #37 on: 06 Jan 2014, 04:59 »

So I want to work out more, continue my moves to eat better, and drastically reduce my soda pop intake.

Follow up: I also want to gain proficiency in Japanese. So buckling down and studying for that.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #38 on: 06 Jan 2014, 06:50 »

I want to do a major event, and use it as a fundraiser for lupus, since my sister has lupus.  I'm thinking half-iron triathlon, but a friend was eyeing http://www.deathride.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up