THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 22:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tablets  (Read 3964 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Tablets
« on: 13 Jan 2014, 07:47 »

Hi folks,

While changing my phone contract, I got a few voucher for £50 for Currys/PC World. I'd not normally be seen dead in there but I could use something portable that isn't my phone that I can use to browse the internet, especially something I can hook a keyboard up to.

I want the cheapest thing I can find basically, I don't need any bells and whistles, just something Wi-Fi capable and that preferably can run Netflix and use the internet.

This is what they have on offer:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/ipad-tablets-and-ereaders/tablets/889_7505_70535_0_xx/1_20/price-asc/xx-criteria.html
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/search-keywords/149_3396_31202_xx_xx/tablet/1_20/price-asc/xx-criteria.html

Are any of the ones under £100 worth a damn? Like I said I'm looking at raw basics here so I'm not really that arsed what it can do.

Can anyone contribute?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Re: Tablets
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2014, 12:07 »

I bought this tablet a few months ago:

http://rcatablets.com/tablets/7-4gb

I did pick it up at Wal-mart for $70USD... And I would say it is certainly worth that price. I do wish that they had the 8GB model at the stores I go to, as I could have used the extra memory. If anything that I have encountered, having to watch what is loaded into active memory hurts the most. 4GB is just barely enough for the device. Even with memory cards to store content.

As a cautionary word, I have not attempted to stream video/Netflix or anything, thought it is apparently capable. And I am not sure if you can  hook up a keyboard to it. But it had Android 4.1 on it and a decent processor. For me it is mostly used for viewing books/pdfs on the go, the internet when I'm not at my computer or running apps/games off of Google Play. All of which it does worlds better than my old and more expensive Nook Color.

Would I have liked a bigger, better model? Yes. But especially for it's price I find it very good for what I wanted, and I'm quite happy with it. Just be sure to get the 8gb model....

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
Re: Tablets
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2014, 13:53 »

Huh, I was just looking at tablets myself. The Hudl is apparently quite good - though I've not used it myself.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2014, 14:06 by Pilchard123 »
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.
Pages: [1]   Go Up