THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 06:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: English villages: pretty weird sometimes  (Read 3903 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
English villages: pretty weird sometimes
« on: 08 Jan 2014, 16:34 »

I live in a dry village! I also live in a working men's social club, aka a pub. Britain: full of contradictions since 1066.

I'd ask why you'd live in such a hellish place, but since there's a bar downstairs it's pretty clear no one else would want to either.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Re: English villages: pretty weird sometimes
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jan 2014, 09:01 »

It's a lovely place, and there's a very good pub just a few minutes' walk away in the next village. This one was built by Quakers for their employees to live in, and Quakers don't drink. Plus the social club isn't a bar, it's a small, quiet pub-type place. It's always silent by midnight and usually quiet on weeknights.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2 on: 09 Jan 2014, 09:15 »

The next village is a few minutes WALK away?

The mind, she boggles!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #3 on: 09 Jan 2014, 09:30 »

It's not really a village exactly, it's weird. It's a section of the outskirts of the city, but there's a definite difference between the two areas. British cities are kind of different from American ones, they grew organically so they can be a bit odd.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #4 on: 09 Jan 2014, 10:49 »

As an example, I live in Walkley, the villages of Crookes, Upperthorpe, Stannington and the town of Hillsborough are all a few minutes walk from my house and all of them are in the city of Sheffield which has over 130 identifiable neighbourhoods. These can be towns, villages, parishes, roads and districts.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2014, 08:19 »

Yeah, I meant to add that in places which aren't odd village-like suburbs of large cities, villages are still only a few minutes' walk apart quite often. You've got to remember that you could fit the whole of England into the state of Michigan (if you chopped it up and reorganised the bits).

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2014, 09:37 »

Takes us back to that old quote "In America a 100 years is a long time, and in the U.K. a 100 miles is a long drive"

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2014, 06:13 »

Of course part of the problem with being such a small country is that occasionally villages grow so big that they connect to the neighbouring one. This leads to this sort of thing.

(click to show/hide)

At this point I feel compelled to suggest that the next passing mod should probably excise a portion of this thread to the English is Weird thread as being far more appropriate for posts that have veered a little bit away from Whiskey.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2014, 06:19 »

Probably a lot of work, maintaining that lake.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2014, 10:26 »

My mum and stepdad live near the Welsh border. At one point, Wales had a law against pubs serving alcohol on Sundays, but England didn't. One of the pubs was right on the border, with the result that the front room was in one country and the back was in the other. At midnight on Saturday, the drinkers simply moved into the English room and continued to drink (this may be apocryphal, but I love the story!).

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #10 on: 13 Jan 2014, 10:44 »

There is another story, probably also apocryphal, about pubs having to close at midnight.  However, they opened for the next day's business promptly at 12:05 AM. so the drinkers merely had to go outside for a few minutes. 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #11 on: 13 Jan 2014, 11:35 »

Just long enough to clear away the empties and change the register tape for the next day's business...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jan 2014, 14:57 »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #13 on: 13 Jan 2014, 15:01 »

There is another story, probably also apocryphal, about pubs having to close at midnight.  However, they opened for the next day's business promptly at 12:05 AM. so the drinkers merely had to go outside for a few minutes.

I would totally do that.

"Alright you lot, bar's closed! Out on the streets all of you!"
*locks door, checks watch, unlocks door*
"Good morning folks, we are now open for Breakfast service"

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #14 on: 13 Jan 2014, 15:52 »

I have had a full Scottish breakfast at 1am with all the "trimmings". Awesome.
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2014, 01:16 by The Seldom Killer »

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #15 on: 14 Jan 2014, 01:02 »

I was at a pub in Oxford the other night called the Three Goats, and they closed at 11.30pm. On a Friday night. Literally were taking the drinks out of people's hands. ON A FRIDAY NIGHT.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #16 on: 14 Jan 2014, 11:56 »

My new local seems pretty awesome. I've only been in once, but I know it to have a food menu which includes, in addition to all the usual pub food, five vegan options (FIVE! That is more than the local vegan cafe!) and has a back room with an open fire. In the summer, apparently, it hosts a beach party in the beer garden by covering the patio with sand and putting up palm trees for the local children. Every two months it has a family-friendly comedy night (family-friendly not meaning "pitched at children" aka "moronically stupid" but simply "not crude and insulting") and although I am not an expert in such things, the drinks range seems pretty good. I'm looking forward to going there in the first week of February when my friend comes to visit - he is a big fan of beer and meat, neither of which he will find in my flat.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #17 on: 14 Jan 2014, 16:21 »

What's on the taps

Grognard

• Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #18 on: 14 Jan 2014, 19:46 »

one of these years....
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #19 on: 15 Jan 2014, 07:16 »

I shall check out the taps and report back.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #20 on: 15 Jan 2014, 07:25 »

Good, May's going in as recon, and I'll assault by fire once she identifies a clear path.

By recon I mean "saving a table" and by "assault by fire" I mean drinking at least one keg dry.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #21 on: 15 Jan 2014, 08:53 »

You may well be able to assault by fire by the fire, if I get a good table.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #22 on: 15 Jan 2014, 09:45 »

GM, I challenge you to drink dry a keg of Russian Imperial Stout before you expect May to do so with any other ale.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #23 on: 15 Jan 2014, 09:48 »

It takes me one glass of wine to get tipsy and one bottle of cider to get drunk, one keg of anything at all would kill me.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #24 on: 15 Jan 2014, 10:32 »

The keg is for me, May's just checking for flankers.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #25 on: 15 Jan 2014, 10:36 »

The challenge stands.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #26 on: 15 Jan 2014, 11:18 »

Being drunk is boring anyway.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #27 on: 15 Jan 2014, 13:46 »

The challenge stands.

The volume's the only issue, the booze is not.

Grognard

• Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #28 on: 15 Jan 2014, 18:23 »

gheez.
I'd be a freaking casualty (comatose, drooling on the floor) pretty damn quick.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #29 on: 17 Jan 2014, 02:44 »

Whole England can be weird. You drive on the wrong side of the road, for god's sake. :psyduck:

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #30 on: 17 Jan 2014, 08:26 »

We drive on the correct side - if we drove on the other side, the wheel would be on the wrong side of the car.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #31 on: 17 Jan 2014, 08:31 »

And we'd meet all those cars coming the other way.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #32 on: 17 Jan 2014, 10:51 »

All those road signs at roundabouta would be useleas too. I'll concede that it does happen occaisionally but it's pretty rare and usually involves drugs or psychosis.
Pages: [1]   Go Up