THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 16:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tell Me About Manchester, I want to move there....  (Read 8861 times)

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome

This Manchester original flavour, as in the one in England. some of you must live there? I would like some opinions please & thankyou.
« Last Edit: 06 Mar 2010, 06:15 by elizaknowswhatshesfor »
You do. You need pants. Put on some fucking pants. Why aren't you wearing pants?

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Re: Tell Me About Manchester, I want to move there....
« Reply #1 on: 06 Mar 2010, 04:58 »

Manchester is awesome, or at least the city centre is. I haven't seen much of the residential areas.

Are you drunk?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

nufan

• Curry sauce
« Reply #2 on: 06 Mar 2010, 06:01 »

I go to Uni here (in my third year) and it's pretty much the greatest fucking thing ever. You've got stuff like the northern quarter which has two of the bestest record shops around (Piccadilly Records and Vinyl Exchange), and also has some pretty great places to go out (The Roadhouse is very good).

It has a few nasty places (which all cities have), avoid Moss Side and stay in Didsbury if you can. But if you do, no matter what type of night out or scene you're looking for you'll find it. COME HERE. COME HERE NOW.

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #3 on: 06 Mar 2010, 06:14 »

Manchester is awesome, or at least the city centre is. I haven't seen much of the residential areas.

Are you drunk?

My keyboard is broken, I go back and edit stuff but for some reason it posts the rubbish version. I am going to fix this now. Free laptops, come at price...
You do. You need pants. Put on some fucking pants. Why aren't you wearing pants?

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #4 on: 06 Mar 2010, 06:23 »

Well, Manchester is a pretty good place to get drunk in.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #5 on: 06 Mar 2010, 06:34 »

queue my story about going to manchester:

I went to Manchester to see the mountain goats once! First we missed the bus there because the train between Edinburgh and Glasgow was delayed. So we had to take the train to Preston and transfer to Manchester there (cause the next bus would get us into Manchester at 9: mis concert). I lost my wallet and my cellphone on the train ride there (aaargh): no form of ID or money or communication. The girl I was with her cellphone had died and when we tried to take money out of a cash machine using her bank card the bank machine froze for a solid ten minutes. We were freaking out for those ten minutes.

As far as cities go where you have no idea whether you're going to make it home alive the next day, Manchester is pretty rad.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #6 on: 06 Mar 2010, 08:04 »

My boyfriend lives just outside Backburn, so I've spent a fair amount of time in Preston train station & also in Preston, the TK Maxsx there is dope.

I want names of bars & cinemas & coffe shops & links to people who put things on & does it have a roller derby team? & other things like where is good to live? etc. etc.etc.etc.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #7 on: 06 Mar 2010, 12:53 »

As a Yorkshireman, the five occasions I've been to Manchester have convinced me that it is an absolutely wonderful city with lots to do, and if you can afford it, you can have way more fun shopping there than say, Leeds. I bet you're also less likely to get stabbed in Manchester than you are in Nottingham. The streets are cluttered with less Beatles paraphenalia than Liverpool, and fewer empty syringes than Bradford.
Of course, my experience is only of the city centre. What it would be like to actually live there, I can't say. Great place to spend a day out, though.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: 06 Mar 2010, 13:03 »

You don't want to go to Manchester. It's nothing but queers and Joy Division tribute bands, all covered in soot, as far as the eye can see.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
« Reply #9 on: 06 Mar 2010, 13:16 »

I have a few friends living in Manchester and they seem to enjoy it, have heard the nightlife is also pretty good regardless of scene. Also heard the local band scene there isn't too bad though I haven't really sampled it so I couldn't say.

I've been there a few times visiting, for gigs or shopping, and it's been fun every time. I once spent about a week hanging out around the city centre when I was dating a girl who lived there and we never ran out of things to do. Never really ventured too far out of the city centre but I imagine away from there it's much the same as any other place, with no-go areas and such. The girl I was dating who lived there apparently lived in one of these no-go areas but it didn't seem too bad anyway.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #10 on: 07 Mar 2010, 00:03 »

You don't want to go to Manchester. It's nothing but queers and Joy Division tribute bands, all covered in soot, as far as the eye can see.

Be there soon
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #11 on: 07 Mar 2010, 01:26 »

Doves are from Manchester and they are pretty much the best band.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #12 on: 07 Mar 2010, 04:06 »

As a Yorkshireman I am loath to admit that anything about Manchester is good. I've only been to the city centre once and it seemed irritatingly nice.

I'd prefer to live in Nottingham, that's for sure. There's a vibrant music scene there with some good venues and labels. Leeds is alright too.

As a Yorkshire woman who lived in Nottingham for 10 years & Leeds for 2 (I only liked maybe 5 things about Leeds *Waves @ a pack of wolves who is one of them*)  I fancy a change. (But yes Nottingham is FUCKING AWESOME. Esp. Anything "I'm Not From London or Damn You! put on gigs wise.)

The Doves are my cousins childhood friends & he is thanked in all their albums.

Khar: I love the gays & soot & The Freezing Fog weren't a Joy Division covers band. You may be joking but you are also wrong.

I have been to Manchester a fair amount, I was hoping for some more specific answers...

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #13 on: 07 Mar 2010, 09:38 »

As a Yorkshireman I am loath to admit that anything about Manchester is good.

I love that everyone in Yorkshire thinks there's this big rivalry going on. I grew up around Manchester and nobody gave a shit about Yorkshire. Because really, who could think that a city like Leeds is comparable to Manchester?  Manchester is great and if I hadn't grown up there, I would have gone to uni there rather than Leeds.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: 07 Mar 2010, 09:44 »

Literally like 90% of everything I know about Manchester is from Queer as Folk and Smiths lyrics.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #15 on: 07 Mar 2010, 11:13 »

I don't really care as it has no baring finding fun things to do or places to go in Manchester. I think maybe I should watch more Queer as Folk (Or replace them for Sons of Anarchy & The Wire as they share actors) & listen to more Smiths. That will work.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #16 on: 08 Mar 2010, 08:33 »

Manchester City are the scum of the earth.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #17 on: 08 Mar 2010, 09:22 »

(Shane supports Man U)

Don't judge him harshly, he was born this way.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #18 on: 08 Mar 2010, 09:26 »

Actually I was born not knowing what soccer even is. I found a box of Football League trading cards when I was like 5 or 6, and thought United had the coolest looking uniforms.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #19 on: 08 Mar 2010, 10:28 »

I take so little interest in soccer that when MU is mentioned I still think of the Busby Babes...

But Manchester is a really good place - highly recommended at any level.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #20 on: 08 Mar 2010, 12:02 »

I know it's a good place, that's why I want to move there...I would like some specifics maybe please? P

Also what the fuck is soccer? Is it anything like football?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #21 on: 08 Mar 2010, 13:32 »

Soccer is football that's played with the feet.  Not rugger, American, or any other perversion.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #22 on: 08 Mar 2010, 13:54 »

What sort of specifics are you looking for?

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #23 on: 08 Mar 2010, 14:09 »

I want names of bars & cinemas & coffe shops & links to people who put things on & does it have a roller derby team? & other things like where is good to live? etc. etc.etc.etc.

I'm pretty sure these are the kinds of specifics she's looking for.  But I'm also not very sure that this is the kind of forum for those kinds of specifics.

nufan

• Curry sauce
« Reply #24 on: 08 Mar 2010, 14:52 »

For cinemas, you want the Cornerhouse. Coffee shops and the others I'm none too good at

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right
« Reply #26 on: 08 Mar 2010, 19:07 »

i've never been to manchester, i just like posh british accents one may hear on a bbc broadcast or something. some of the blokes are fairly attractive too.
as long as they don't play any horrible joy division covers or have awful teeth.

/snobby canadian lass
Quote from: KvP
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #27 on: 08 Mar 2010, 19:33 »

Bad teeth are a sign of wit and make an individual look debonair, you teeth fascist.

The Cornerhouse is great, combination bar, art gallery and arthouse cinema. Pricey for booze, but you'd like it I reckon. Whitworth art gallery has some really good shows too, and I've seen good stuff at the Castlefield gallery. Manchester really outclasses Leeds in terms of visual art. Don't know who's putting gigs on there these days but I'm guessing Nick and Dan from Hammers might still do stuff. They are a sweet band anyway so you should go watch them lots. I remember there being a decent bar on Oxford Road but I can't remember what it was called for the life of me, it was a pretty big building and seemed to have quite an art school clientele but that's not much help.

Most importantly, Piccadilly station has regular trains to the correct side of the Pennines.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #28 on: 09 Mar 2010, 09:50 »

i've never been to manchester, i just like posh british accents one may hear on a bbc broadcast or something. some of the blokes are fairly attractive too.
as long as they don't play any horrible joy division covers or have awful teeth.

Bad teeth are a sign of wit and make an individual look debonair, you teeth fascist.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18409_the-5-most-statistically-full-shit-national-stereotypes.html

I have a BBC accent. This is because my Dad was a BBC news reader. (Except when I'm drunk & or cross, then it is very Nottingham with a smattering of Yorkshire.)

Also Wolves:

I know Hammers, well I know Sasha, he was helping me with my Italian as he is a Swiss (Eh-hum) I've seen them play a couple of times. There's also Kam, I think he is putting on Eyehategod. If you are free the first weekend in April I'm celebrating my 30th in the Mancs, for a bit of a change (If I go to Notts I will only go to the same 5 places I allways do....) You & the Lady should come!

The cornerhouse sounds aces.

Ptommydski

« Reply #29 on: 09 Mar 2010, 12:07 »

I have a BBC accent and bad teeth.

I drink tea all day every day.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #30 on: 09 Mar 2010, 13:57 »

I know Hammers, well I know Sasha, he was helping me with my Italian as he is a Swiss (Eh-hum) I've seen them play a couple of times. There's also Kam, I think he is putting on Eyehategod. If you are free the first weekend in April I'm celebrating my 30th in the Mancs, for a bit of a change (If I go to Notts I will only go to the same 5 places I allways do....) You & the Lady should come!

Not sure what I'm doing then, and I got hit with having to pay the deposit on a house and about half a year's utility bills this month so funds are a smidge tight but it may be doable. Keep me posted. If you move up there we'll have plenty more opportunities though.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right
« Reply #31 on: 09 Mar 2010, 16:17 »

I have a BBC accent and bad teeth.

I drink tea all day every day.

you are the male version of me, but in leeds or spain, or wherever in the world you may currently be, this is my happening, and it freaks me out
my teeth are pretty crooked and i have no intention of fixing em fully.
« Last Edit: 09 Mar 2010, 16:19 by 20 jazz funk greats »
Quote from: KvP
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #32 on: 10 Mar 2010, 05:05 »

"I have tea to drink, I shall not be wasting my time with cosmetic dentistry" (My teeth are OK, but most of them are plastic.

BMX-ng + drunkeness = *Shakes head*

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #33 on: 10 Mar 2010, 05:10 »

Oooh I played the drunk BMXing game last night and almost got hit by a taxi.

Granted I almost got hit by 2 earlier in the day while sober, but that's neither here nor there.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #34 on: 10 Mar 2010, 14:08 »

I've lived in Manchester my whole life, it's wonderful.
Fallowfield/Withington/Didsbury is probaly best place to live as that's where the majority of students are.
The cornerhouse is a nice cinema, haven't really bothered with the arty stuff in it. AMC is a mainstream cinema and it's fairly cheap to boot.
Lowry whilst a little out of the way has a good range of plays and arts and other such gubbins. the Exchange theatre in the city centre is tasty too.
Both Northern and Southern quarters offer a bunch of kickass places for drinking, avoid the Printworks as it's full of hen nights and shit heads.
The Night & Day Cafe is good for live music as well as afternoon drinks. Other music venues are like the academy and the apollo.
The Factory is open again if you want to go twist some melons and Lovetrain is the greatest club night ever.
Afflecks is a thing too if you're into that sort of thing.
There is a roller derby team.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #35 on: 11 Mar 2010, 03:16 »

Actually I was born not knowing what soccer even is. I found a box of Football League trading cards when I was like 5 or 6, and thought United had the coolest looking uniforms.

Shane that is no excuse to carry on into the present day
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #36 on: 11 Mar 2010, 05:54 »

I've lived in Manchester my whole life, it's wonderful.

& So are you (Wonderful not a city). All of this stuff is ace. I have seen bands play at Night & Day before (In my head I always get it confused with Korova in Liverpool, too much time spent in vans is not good.)

I'm not a huge fan of living where the students do (Hyde park in Leeds for a year & half was enough....) But I will look into those areas! I know of places in houses going in Hulme & Salford, although on the map, Salford looks super far out, is it hard to get to?

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #37 on: 11 Mar 2010, 05:56 »

Salford is super easy to get to. It's on the met line so you shouldn't have any problems there.

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #38 on: 11 Mar 2010, 10:31 »

Hulme

Well bits of it anyway, shit loads of rejuvination/new houses though so you may want to check the specifics.

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #39 on: 12 Mar 2010, 11:04 »

"Da Manny Quarters" priceless....
Pages: [1]   Go Up