THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Let's have a fashion advice thread. - B  (Read 67063 times)

valley_parade

• coprophage
Re: Re: Let's have a fashion advice thread. - B
« Reply #1650 on: 17 May 2011, 11:39 »

My ascot is here.

My ascot is AWESOME.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #1651 on: 17 May 2011, 13:02 »

I've also seen the challenge recently where you set aside 30 items for 30 days, and wear ONLY THOSE THINGS.
Does this include underwear, and are you allowed to wash them?
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #1652 on: 17 May 2011, 18:47 »

As far as I know, no and yes.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #1653 on: 18 May 2011, 09:53 »

I am apparently at a weird in-between size, along with being a weird shape.

I know you're not sold on them, because of the price, but have you tried Lane Bryant's "right fit" pants.  They come in three cuts, to try and tackle the diversity of waist to hip ratios that women have.  I have had two pairs, and they were great.  If you get them with a coupon they are not too bad, and my philosophy is that it is better to have less clothes that fit you well, and make you feel good, than more clothes that don't.

There was a girl I know who took it to the extreme and wore the exact same outfit everyday, including her under garments. She spent a lot of time washing her clothes, obviously, but she did it.

I still don't know why, but hey.

I thought about finding an outfit and sticking with it.  Like a cartoon character.  I would have more than one of it for sure, I am not doing laundry daily.  But to find one thing that looks great, and just wear it.  Maybe 3 or 4 outfits?  casual, dressy, hot and cold?
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #1654 on: 18 May 2011, 11:01 »

The "right fit" pants that work for me make me look awful. I'm the big blue circle, and they make me look even rounder and wider than I do in regular pants. So I actually end up getting the the triangle instead and it sort of works. I don't mind them much, but I don't bother to buy them new.

The only brand that comes close to working for me is Ashley Stewart. I don't want to sound like I'm racist, or anything like that, but in general, Ashley Stewart is geared toward black women. And in general, black women have bigger booties. And so, with me and my big booty, they fit fairly well. And their regular length is perfect for me. I just wish they had more wide-legged options. I have both colors of "bootcut" jeans, navy and blue, in 20 and both in 22. Of course the 20s are slightly too small, and the 22s are slightly too big.

It's what I get for having an awesome ass. :D
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #1655 on: 18 May 2011, 11:39 »

Ohhhh I may have to look into them. Nothing ever fits me right because of my big ol' booty - they always gap in the back. Are their bootcuts okay? I look like I have chicken legs if I wear skinny stuff.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1656 on: 18 May 2011, 12:01 »

They seem more like gentle flares than bootcuts to me. I love them. I refuse to wear anything close to skinny jeans.. I don't even like straight-leg for the most part. I prefer wider legs on all my pants. Their sizes are like most plus size stores, though. Bigger than the "regular" stores. Usually I'd wear a 22/24, but I fit 20/22 there. Their winter coats are also awesome.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #1657 on: 18 May 2011, 14:10 »

silver jeans are great for booties as well, i honestly don't think i'll ever buy another brand again because it's just too difficult and exhausting to find anything at all that fits right. i just received these in the mail and they make my big ol' muscle butt look fantastic.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1658 on: 19 May 2011, 05:49 »

Unfortunately their web copy people seem to think that "certian" is a word :P

Edit: Also, "stylista" but that is a whole different issue
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #1659 on: 20 May 2011, 08:58 »

Good news! The first collaboration blog post is up!

http://rhitbee.blogspot.com/

Here's one of the pics of me featured on it. In case anyone is wondering, the jeans I'm wearing in this shot are from Urban Outfitters. I highly recommend them. Also, this is my elementary school playground, hehe.

« Last Edit: 20 May 2011, 09:00 by Skibas_clavicle »
I like the way you work it.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1660 on: 20 May 2011, 09:12 »

stripey sleeved cardigan,
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #1661 on: 20 May 2011, 21:56 »

Man, Tania, I wish I had $82 to spend on anything right now. I want more jeans that look nice. Most of mine are sort of dumpy-looking, I think.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #1662 on: 21 May 2011, 07:20 »

to be fair i have two jobs and work near constantly and sometimes skip meals and bought literally no new clothes in any form at all for over a year so yeah i can assure you i'm not really made of money either, i just save up and buy expensive clothes because i would much rather own quality clothing that will last over cheap stuff that will fall apart in however many weeks
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Toba

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Earl of Flamthrowe
    • cons.truct
« Reply #1663 on: 21 May 2011, 15:21 »

Does anyone know a good shoe that's chucklike but has wide versions? Because the ones they make are all a little too narrow for me and it messes with my toes a little.
boldly going nowhere

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1665 on: 23 May 2011, 16:53 »

Ordered a bathing suit! Yay! Hopefully it gets here before the weekend, so I can go swimming on Memorial Day in a pretty suit and not my speedo. (It's boring, but functional for swimming laps.)
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #1666 on: 24 May 2011, 01:00 »

that is not boring, that is ridiculously adorable.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1667 on: 24 May 2011, 04:25 »

No, my speedo is boring. That one is pretty!

FruitKat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #1668 on: 24 May 2011, 07:22 »

Toba:

I'm sure you've probably heard of them but the KEEN Coronado sneaker is kind of styled to look like the chuck but I find mine MUCH sturdier and wider. But I'd definitely recommend you go try them on because I'm not sure about mens sizes/how big your feet are...
http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/ss11/shoes/men/blvd/coronado/india%20ink!black%20olive

The other chuck-like sneakers I haven't bought but I have tried on and they feel like heaven (I think the sole has car tyres or something in the bottom and they are extra squishy) is the simple sneakers... I'm not sure how much wider the mens ones will be though but I guess its worth a shot right?
http://www.simpleshoes.com/productdetails.aspx?g=m&productID=2364&model=Tuba%20II%20Herringbone

Shoooooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssss

Toba

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Earl of Flamthrowe
    • cons.truct
« Reply #1669 on: 25 May 2011, 00:05 »

Woo, shoes.  Thanks Kat and Tuathal for excellent ideas!
boldly going nowhere

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1670 on: 23 Jun 2011, 09:52 »

Fashion thread, I need jeans advice. I've lived pretty permanently in jeans for the last four years, but in the last year I've been going through pairs really fast - they develop holes on the inside leg, about a hand's-width from where the seams meet at the crotch. At first I assumed it was due to the amount of cycling I was doing, because it's about where the seat rubs when I pedal, but I've not cycled at all since buying this pair and they're beginning to rub through.

I have no idea what could be causing it, because I've not been doing anything differently - I've not been washing them more, or folding them, or doing anything that might cause extra wear. Could it be to do with having put on a bit of weight? I'm at a loss and I can't afford to buy jeans at this rate!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #1671 on: 23 Jun 2011, 10:51 »

I definitely get this too, I think just from walking a lot and the seams/your legs rub together. I never really found a solution, just have a lot of unevenly cut and indecently short cutoffs, but I think getting some jeans that actually fit helps too - Katie said something here about the difference between how even and odd sized girls' jeans are cut and it was a friggin revelation to have pants that actually seem kinda interested in not falling down all the time.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1672 on: 23 Jun 2011, 13:26 »

That could definitely be it - the last several pairs have all been too big, because I go shopping with my mother and she thinks that clothes should be incredibly baggy, so she tells me that my trousers are too tight until I feel like a whale and buy three sizes up. Next time I'll go with a friend and buy some that fit!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1673 on: 24 Jun 2011, 06:11 »

Actually, I tend to have the same problem with jeans.

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #1674 on: 24 Jun 2011, 13:30 »

I get that jeans thing too. I just thought it was from either fluctuating weight (only by 1-2 inches on the waist every now and then) or from sitting down a lot. You sit down, the material is stretched cos my legs are apart, then just doing that for ages. I'd suggest rotate jeans, and if you're sitting down a lot wear "house trousers" so that your going out jeans stay intact.

As far as shoes go - I still think that Converse All Stars are amazingly comfortable and never really look that bad, especially with jeans etc.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #1675 on: 25 Jun 2011, 15:58 »

My boyfriend goes through a pair of jeans in that manner every couple of months. I have a pile of 'to mend' jeans that grows larger every day, I swear.
To fix them, I iron on some soft interfacing inside to bring the rip together, and then stick it under my sewing machine and sew madly backwards and forwards in every direction over the rip to make sure there will be no more tearing. I go through a lot of  'denim' needles.

Toba

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Earl of Flamthrowe
    • cons.truct
« Reply #1676 on: 26 Jun 2011, 16:09 »

Dear fashion thread,

Will people look at me as 'some damn hipster' if I stencil symbols onto my converse with spray dye?

Love, Toba
boldly going nowhere

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #1677 on: 27 Jun 2011, 13:28 »

Depends on the stencils, but it's far more likely that they'll think you're 15.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1678 on: 27 Jun 2011, 15:45 »

My boyfriend goes through a pair of jeans in that manner every couple of months. I have a pile of 'to mend' jeans that grows larger every day, I swear.
To fix them, I iron on some soft interfacing inside to bring the rip together, and then stick it under my sewing machine and sew madly backwards and forwards in every direction over the rip to make sure there will be no more tearing. I go through a lot of  'denim' needles.

I'm going to start sending jeans down your way, Ally.

And maybe some mixtapes or something.

edit: What the hell, fashion thread. I hate that the 90s are back. But, I really, really, really, really want to relive my childhood and get a Whalers snapback hat:

Oh. And and and. I bought a new tie this weekend! It's a grey Ben Sherman with a sorta black/lime plaid. I'll have to take a picture.
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2011, 15:54 by valley_parade »

Toba

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Earl of Flamthrowe
    • cons.truct
« Reply #1679 on: 28 Jun 2011, 00:29 »

Depends on the stencils, but it's far more likely that they'll think you're 15.

Yeah that is a concern except people regularly think I'm 7 years older than I am so a bit of the opposite really can't hurt.
boldly going nowhere

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #1680 on: 28 Jun 2011, 16:11 »

I find that people either tend to think that I am about 30 or about to graduate high school. très drôle
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1681 on: 29 Jun 2011, 05:53 »

I had an interview a few days ago and the woman asked me how old I was (it was a volunteering agency one, not a job one, so she was allowed to ask) and when I told her, she said "goodness, you look very young for your age". In my opinion she only looked about nineteen herself, but I've spent the last seven years being told how extremely immature I appear so I just made some pleasant comment but I really hate being told I look young. What exactly am I supposed to do with that statement?

Toba

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Earl of Flamthrowe
    • cons.truct
« Reply #1682 on: 29 Jun 2011, 08:57 »

I think most people assume that telling a woman she looks young is a complement.  I'm not sure how you should deal with that. People regularly think I'm older than I am - which is OK as long as I'm not trying to date them, then it sorta feels like a detriment.  Nobody takes a 23 year old guy seriously, so I'm sorta glad people regularly think I'm considerably older than I am in most contexts.
boldly going nowhere

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #1683 on: 29 Jun 2011, 10:10 »

Man, I get that a lot too. Except usually it's shit like "You could do a lot of damage in a middle school." I meet some gross people.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1684 on: 29 Jun 2011, 11:32 »

When I was younger I was always told that I looked like, and treated as if, I was older. Now people think I'm a lot younger. And yet I've worn much of the same type of clothing the entire time. The only real difference is that now, I have boobs. I kind of hate being seen as younger as well. But my mother, who wears all my old clothing, loves when people say we look like sisters..

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #1685 on: 29 Jun 2011, 12:26 »

If I shave I could pass for a high school Freshman. With my beard I don't get carded
(Almost said, "With my bear I don't get carded)

I miss wearing hats. Back when I was little I would wear the hell out of this Michigan State Police hat my dad got me.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #1686 on: 30 Jun 2011, 08:56 »

...So wear more hats? Lots of people don't. Be different.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1687 on: 06 Jul 2011, 14:19 »

May, I used to get told that a lot, and was also annoyed by it. I don't so much anymore probably because I have shorter hair (I look a lot younger with long hair) and also have started to dress more professional or "adult". (I don't know what else to call it, but basically I stopped dressing like a messy art student and started wearing better clothes.) I don't really know where that line is between looking young and looking your age for other people, though.

Toba

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Earl of Flamthrowe
    • cons.truct
« Reply #1688 on: 08 Jul 2011, 08:22 »

I lost my favorite hat in a cab last night :(
boldly going nowhere

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #1689 on: 02 Aug 2011, 01:33 »

People regularly think I'm older than I am - which is OK as long as I'm not trying to date them, then it sorta feels like a detriment. 
Someone told me that with my new haircut, I looked 10 years older. So does that mean I looked 20, and look 30 now? Or that I looked 10 and look 20 now? Thanks a lot.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34]   Go Up