THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 92   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: The Guitar Topic - B  (Read 153847 times)

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
Re: The Guitar Topic - B
« on: 24 Apr 2009, 20:11 »

I've got no hate for Ibanez guitars. They sound great and the majority of them look fine (take notice, B.C. Rich). I personally wouldn't buy one, 'cause I am not even close to Ibanez's target demographic, tonally or aesthetically. But I wouldn't mind playing one at all!
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

zerobar

• Balloon animal serial killer
Re: Re: The Guitar Topic - B
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2009, 20:53 »

^Yeah, you know I think people have this idea in their heads that "Uh, Ibanez, those is metals guitars. If you don't play metals, then those is so stupid." But I really think that both the rg and s series' are plenty tame in looks and appearances to fit into any genre of music. Hell, I met a guy who used a rg770 to play country. I will say though, that although the new ones are great, they still don't quite have the mojo of the ones from the late 80's and early 90's.

Another good one that they made in the 80's that's really overlooked is the roadstar series. Those apparently had a nice strat style "C" shape neck, and they looked really nice and reserved.

Really, I think Ibanez's bread and butter through the years are the ones that are the most "standard," like the rg, s and even as far as the Satriani guitars.

They make very affordable hollow bodies, too.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2009, 23:50 »

Hagstrom make affordable hollowbodies AND respectable solidbodies. Best of both worlds.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Bearer

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • The Corgi Commands Awesome
« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2009, 23:55 »

Hagstrom make affordable hollowbodies AND respectable solidbodies. Best of both worlds.
I have a friend who has a vintage Hagstrom (before they were bought out), of which we can't tell the year.  It's the most beautiful sounding acoustic I've ever heard, and truly a beauty to look at.  Also really quite heavy.
Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Could use a wish right now
    • bookface
« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2009, 01:06 »

I really don't like basswood bodies, which rules out the majority of Ibanez guitars.  On the whole the brand isn't bad, it's just that for the money I would rather get something else in almost every price range.

When I saw The Thermals Wednesday Hutch Harris was playing on a 72 tele thinline.  The lo-fi fuzz and twang was so amazing I really, really want one now.

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2009, 01:26 »

Ibanez are really nice generalist guitars, but it's pretty clear that they're geared towards heavier use of distortion and leads. Which is fantastic for me.

zerobar

« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2009, 01:54 »

^yeah, the basswood on the rg's pretty much MAKES them lead guitars, but the S's are all mahogany. I saw one of the new S series guitars, at a store and it had a new type of trem on it. More like a Wilkensen. Anyone ever played around with their A series (Les Paul-ish) series much? Wondering if they're a viable alternative, price/quality/etc wise.

I played a couple of those Haggstrom airline copies. They're pretty cool, and I thought alot of them looked really interesting. But where I'm at, the only person who carries them is SIGNIFICANTLY overpriced on everything.

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2009, 02:16 »

Yeah, I played an S with a lovely trem. Wonderful tone, beautiful handling. Highly recommended.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #8 on: 25 Apr 2009, 02:24 »

The S Body shape is, was and always will be the comfiest in the world.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #9 on: 25 Apr 2009, 08:49 »

So I was looking up old Airline guitars, like the one I have on hold..and I found this.

Guys, I think I might do that. Just throw in a bridge 'bucker. Maybe wire that three-way switch to on-off-off as a killswitch.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #10 on: 25 Apr 2009, 08:53 »

or you could stop being a fuck and leave things the way they are supposed to be by way of natural order you compulsive modder fuck

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #11 on: 25 Apr 2009, 09:02 »

Dude, all it entails is NOT BUYING A NECK PICKUP. Haha.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #12 on: 26 Apr 2009, 08:02 »

I will give you my Les Paul copy's neck 'bucker if you promise to not be mean to that guitar. I'm planning on buying '57 reissue humbuckers for that fucker and giving her a total refret and setup job anyway.

The S Body shape is, was and always will be the comfiest in the world.

My AVRI Jag begs to differ, gentle sir.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #13 on: 26 Apr 2009, 08:04 »

I dunno, man. The idea of having something that rad as a single-pickup guitar makes me feel pretty good in the pants.

Tehz

• The German Chancellory building
  • and the driving snow that drives me home
« Reply #14 on: 26 Apr 2009, 20:23 »

I'm with Patrick, the Jazzmaster/Jaguar body is amazingly comfortable.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #15 on: 26 Apr 2009, 21:32 »

as well as rewiring the shit out of that thing. what killswitch? THERE IS NO SWITCH

It's not uncomfortable but I'm more on the Tele side of this debate.

zerobar

« Reply #16 on: 26 Apr 2009, 22:41 »

as well as rewiring the shit out of that thing. what killswitch? THERE IS NO SWITCH

It's not uncomfortable but I'm more on the Tele side of this debate.

I hope, there's a switch. It's got two pickups. Not too useful without one. haha

I'm guessing that he's just talking about wiring up the three way switch so that it's just on/off/off, or something like that. Wouldn't be too difficult.

So I bought an airbrush today. I've still got to get paint. I figure after finals I'll start playing around with it on matte board, then after I feel comfortable I'll start working on guitars. I've got a kind of tele/baretta hybrid body that I'll probably start on, since it's got the most surface area, being a single pickup.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #17 on: 26 Apr 2009, 22:47 »

Oh are we talking about the red and black Airline? I assumed he meant the one attached to his post.

zerobar

« Reply #18 on: 26 Apr 2009, 22:58 »

Yeah, I could see how that's confusing. i kinda assumed that what he was getting at was the he was inspired by the one in his post.

Even still, he'd probably still have an open wire channel and screw holes, which would be almost impossible to cover up, without a refinish. VERY convenient that there is no pickup route though. Kinda strange. I'm not too familiar with old Airlines. Is that common?

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #19 on: 27 Apr 2009, 02:52 »

man, explorer tuned down to b, huge bass amp, delay pedal, neck pickup, tone down to 0, weed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :police:

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #20 on: 27 Apr 2009, 05:20 »

Oh are we talking about the red and black Airline? I assumed he meant the one attached to his post.

Yeah, the redburst one. The white is just inspiration.

BaneAtvar

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #21 on: 27 Apr 2009, 16:17 »

http://img513.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc0252.jpg

Clicky.

For those who may be interested, and own stoptail guitars, this is pretty interesting (and was news for me). Apparently, Mr. Billy Gibbons has used this reverse string-wrap for some time with his '59 Les Paul, the Pearly Gates. We all know that's like the best sounding LP there is (subjective, blah blah blah).

Basically this works in the following way. If you have a stoptail bridge, you either have the tail risen to high, and therefore not as much resonance passes to the body as if you had it locked shut next to the body. Having it that low means the strings will lay on the bridge before reaching the saddles causing loss of sustain and from my experiencie an overall loss of high-end harmonics. Having it this way increases sustain and clarity of the guitar, at the cost of having to bend further to reach a certain pitch. It was hardly noticeable to me though. Here's a website explaining it all.

http://www.dominocs.com/AshBassGuitar/stoptailwrap.html

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #22 on: 27 Apr 2009, 16:24 »

Pearly Gates. We all know that's like the best sounding LP there is (because it fuckin' is).

Fix'd

Anyways, I did that wrapover-thing on my LP a while ago, and I ended up knocking the low E out the saddle constantly. Now I have it regular, but I still have the stoptail all the way down. Mmm, tension.

BaneAtvar

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #23 on: 27 Apr 2009, 16:33 »

Pearly Gates. We all know that's like the best sounding LP there is (because it fuckin' is).

Fix'd

Anyways, I did that wrapover-thing on my LP a while ago, and I ended up knocking the low E out the saddle constantly. Now I have it regular, but I still have the stoptail all the way down. Mmm, tension.

I do that all the time on my freaking Jazzmaster. Apparently 0.053 E string isnt okay with Jazzmaster Saddles. I'll just cut the saddle groove a bit wider, you could have done that with your LP. I like tension, but t'was the loss of sustain that was annoying me. I mean, I don't need a sustainer now, get me? It just rings. Full clean, on a Blues Junior, mind you. It's awesome.

zerobar

« Reply #24 on: 27 Apr 2009, 20:29 »

Yeah, I know a guy at our local shop that uses that with his Les Pauls. He plays in a death metal band, and as such, tunes super low. He uses super thick gauge strings and wraps it like that so it doesn't feel like spaghetti tuned down that low. I really find screwing with string tension kinda interesting. Like the way reverse head stocks will get you better bass sustain and response and easier string bends, at the sacrifice of high note sustain. Kinda would like to play around with ferrule placement on string throughs and see what results would work the best (if I had a guitar I wouldn't mind screwing up and had time to do it)

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #25 on: 28 Apr 2009, 06:38 »

Funny re: bridges and teh strings that goes thru them...

My 78 mustang, I had been wrapping it wrong for the entire time I have had it (early 90s)...until I took that luth class a few months ago. It is really supposed to be wrapped under the big bar. I've never had the whammy bar for it so I never noticed.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #26 on: 28 Apr 2009, 08:26 »

Yeah, I know a guy at our local shop that uses that with his Les Pauls. He plays in a death metal band, and as such, tunes super low. He uses super thick gauge strings and wraps it like that so it doesn't feel like spaghetti tuned down that low. I really find screwing with string tension kinda interesting. Like the way reverse head stocks will get you better bass sustain and response and easier string bends, at the sacrifice of high note sustain. Kinda would like to play around with ferrule placement on string throughs and see what results would work the best (if I had a guitar I wouldn't mind screwing up and had time to do it)

Weird, I always felt like the tension decreased when I did the wraparound.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #27 on: 28 Apr 2009, 08:29 »

I did it once with my Firebird and ended up with a ton of fret buzz, somehow..huh.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #28 on: 28 Apr 2009, 08:37 »

I always figured the string tension would decrease if you decrease the Break Angle, no?!

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #29 on: 28 Apr 2009, 08:40 »

I thought so..

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #30 on: 28 Apr 2009, 08:47 »

Good, I increased the Break Angle on my LP, and it plays better now, actually.

God, I love that guitar.

zerobar

« Reply #31 on: 28 Apr 2009, 21:36 »

So, I've looked at making that Epiphone Coronet, and I had a couple of things that if I did it, it would have to have.

1.neck through
2.ebony fretboard
3.batwing headstock
4.angled recessed jack on the edge (like an Ibanez Jem)
5.stainless steel frets

The rest is up to opinion (paint, pickups) and design (wood for the "wings"). I'm contemplating not putting a pick guard on it (or at least a clear one), if I use an airbrushed graphic. Someone on here suggested british racing green, which got me looking at old race cars, particularly Lotus' from the 60's. There was one, which was British racing green and had a yellow stripe that flares to the front. I thought about putting that graphic on it, complete with number, and then airbrushing the Epiphone logo on, to look like a car logo. Here's a link to a picture of the car.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/attachments/f163/76082d1205273506-vintage-lotus-f1-cars-conv_bild-c-465.jpeg

I also found where I can get a neck through blank with all those attributes at Carvin's website. My only gripe is that it's 24 frets, so I'd have to alter the body shape slightly to accommodate it. so I guess I'm just asking if this looks like a good idea?
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2009, 00:43 by zerobar »

NotAFanOfFenders

• The German Chancellory building
  • even furrier
« Reply #32 on: 29 Apr 2009, 10:37 »

GUYS, i have two guitars now!

Got a new ltd EC-1000 in vintage black to go along with my (grandfather's) ancient Hopf Telstar Standard.

Yes, it's a bit of an improvement.

Bearer

« Reply #33 on: 29 Apr 2009, 14:13 »

So, I've looked at making that Epiphone Coronet, and I had a couple of things that if I did it, it would have to have.

1.neck through
2.ebony fretboard
3.batwing headstock
4.angled recessed jack on the edge (like an Ibanez Jem)
5.stainless steel frets

The rest is up to opinion (paint, pickups) and design (wood for the "wings"). I'm contemplating not putting a pick guard on it (or at least a clear one), if I use an airbrushed graphic. Someone on here suggested british racing green, which got me looking at old race cars, particularly Lotus' from the 60's. There was one, which was British racing green and had a yellow stripe that flares to the front. I thought about putting that graphic on it, complete with number, and then airbrushing the Epiphone logo on, to look like a car logo. Here's a link to a picture of the car.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/attachments/f163/76082d1205273506-vintage-lotus-f1-cars-conv_bild-c-465.jpeg

I also found where I can get a neck through blank with all those attributes at Carvin's website. My only gripe is that it's 24 frets, so I'd have to alter the body shape slightly to accommodate it. so I guess I'm just asking if this looks like a good idea?

This sounds like an incredible idea, albeit ambitious, but I assume you know what you're doing.  Maybe start a thread on the tdpri or offset guitars forums.  Build threads are awesome, and this guitar you're cooking up sounds excellent!

zerobar

« Reply #34 on: 29 Apr 2009, 14:43 »

Thanks, I've put together and painted guitars before, but never built them from the ground up. This seemed like the next logical step, especially since I hopefully won't have to shape/fret/install truss rod/radius the neck (the scariest part to me). The only issue I'm still iffy on is the pick guard. If I do start this, it won't be for a while, until I get a few paychecks. Any other opinions on it?

Bearer

« Reply #35 on: 29 Apr 2009, 19:41 »

I'd almost say no pickguard.  Oh have the pickguard be the racing decal.  Either way it sounds like you want to do something like this:

(please forgive my shitty drawing, drawing with a tablet is a new experience for me, and my desk is rather cluttered)

zerobar

« Reply #36 on: 29 Apr 2009, 21:21 »

Yeah, that's pretty much the gist of it. I don't think I'm going to use a neck pickup, because of a couple reasons. First, the top cutaway is almost as far as the bottom, so I'm worried about the strength of the neck. Second, the originals (like the one I'm thinking of replicating) didn't have neck pickups (due to a similar reason, they were set necks and the billet where it connected would largely have been removed had they used a neck pickup). I rarely use the neck pickup anyway.

I think I'm going to make it slightly thicker than the originals (they were somewhere around an sg's thickness). I don't know how far the billet on the neck through blank goes back, but I'm guessing it won't be far enough and I'll have to add to it (no big deal). I'll probably have to take a generous amount of the back of the neck where it meets the body, which i think is how it's designed.

I'm gonna draw up a picture and I'll try and post it here later tonight.

Thanks for all the input!

zerobar

« Reply #37 on: 29 Apr 2009, 22:22 »

So here's a picture I drew up of what it would look like with all the things I have proposed. I'd probably have the 5 tilted the other way for obvious reasons and the "Lotus" is a little messed up. The more I look at it, the less I feel that 24 frets would screw the look up. I think I'd make it string through, since I know I'd use a hard tail, and that would make the most sense. I still have to price everything out, but I don't think money would be the primary concern. I'm fairly certain everything would come in under $1000, which is excellent considering what I'd be getting out of it.
Here's the drawing:

« Last Edit: 02 May 2009, 20:57 by zerobar »

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #38 on: 30 Apr 2009, 04:26 »

RE: low guitar tunings

There's a reason so many dudes play Les Paul style guitars down-tuned: the distance between the nut and the tuners tends to be greater. Reverse 6-in-line headstocks are the most extreme example of this, but the Gibson headstock is possibly the best compromise assuming regular string gauge and scale length.

That being said, it's all basically bullshit unless you're playing some crazy-ass Meshuggah style 31" scale guitar. Learn to compensate. Heaviness is more in your hands than in your guitar.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

zerobar

« Reply #39 on: 30 Apr 2009, 10:01 »

^QFT

I still do notice a little bit of a difference, though, in the feel of a reverse headstock than a standard. Not enough to make a huge difference, but noticeable. Really though, what it finally comes down to is aesthetic choice.

I used to HATE reverse head stocks, but after a while they started to grow on me, to the point where I really like then now and will actively consider it a plus. 

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #40 on: 03 May 2009, 00:34 »

Fodera actually offers an option where they move the low B-string to the A-string position on the headstock because it increases the string tension and thus the bass response:

RE: double-cutaway guitars with set necks: the easiest solution to neck joint issues is to use a 21 or 22 fret neck, but leave the neck pickup over the 24th fret harmonic (like in a 60s SG reissue). This gives you a decent chunk of wood attaching the neck to the body while still allowing for a neck pickup. Paul Reed Smiths also use a big-ass neck joint and just route part of it out for the neck pickup, and I have never heard of a stability issue with any of their guitars.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

zerobar

« Reply #41 on: 03 May 2009, 09:10 »

Yeah, the only thing is that the pre fretted, pre shaped, pre truss rod neck is pretty appealing to me. And it i couldn't use it, it would severely deter me from even considering attempting this project, at this time. Plus, it automatically comes with ebony, which i want, and it offers stainless steel frets, at less money than a bolt-on would be from Warmoth. And I don't mind having 24 frets, it's just that I rarely use them. I could maybe squeeze a single coil in there, but i think I'm just going to take the pluses over the minuses and get over not having a neck pickup. Like i said earlier, i rarely use it anyway and I pretty sure the originals didn't have them either, although what i'm making is pretty far from a perfect replica. I might look at a single coil though.

Interesting Bass. I can imagine it being a little confusing to string the first time, but it is a cool idea.

Anyone ever tried one of those Bich 10 strings they have out now? I always dismissed B.C. Rich as having total crap, and some of there stuff still is, but some of the vintage reissues actually look pretty nice.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #42 on: 03 May 2009, 09:49 »

This guy is having more fun than any of us will ever have in our entire lives.

I should just kill myself now. I would love to take him with me though just 'cause he picked a faggy relic'd Paul over any of those pristine 335s (esp. the GORGEOUS sunburst one!) in the background.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #43 on: 03 May 2009, 10:02 »

That's not reliced, dude. That's Gary Moore's vintage LP. Used to belong to Peter Green.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #44 on: 03 May 2009, 10:12 »

Either way, still lame. Needs moar vintage sunburst (and none of that cherry shit either).

edwinalink

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Likes Glitter and 4x4's
« Reply #45 on: 03 May 2009, 10:41 »

finally, you post some decent pictures again...BEEN WAITIN' since the airliner!

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #46 on: 03 May 2009, 10:53 »

Either way, still lame. Needs moar vintage sunburst (and none of that cherry shit either).

Fuck, you play a Les Paul for 50 years and see if it doesn't fade. Hurrrr.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #47 on: 03 May 2009, 11:32 »

If it is a real man's sunburst and not a shitty cherry sunburst you've got a deal. Black doesn't fade nearly as bad as transparent red.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #48 on: 03 May 2009, 11:38 »

A Mr. Page wants to have a word with you, Patrick. It is about your shit taste in guitars.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #49 on: 03 May 2009, 11:39 »

To be fair, Patrick does play a Jaguar.

Though, Jags are nowhere near as cool as Jazzmasters.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 92   Go Up