THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 92   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: The Guitar Topic - B  (Read 153869 times)

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
Re: Re: The Guitar Topic - B
« Reply #50 on: 03 May 2009, 13:32 »

A Mr. Page wants to have a word with you, Patrick. It is about your shit taste in guitars.

Ted Leo's ES-335 begs to shit in your mouth. And differ.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #51 on: 03 May 2009, 16:48 »

So, I went hollowbody shopping yesterday to replace my Dot (which I don't care for). The Dot is a nice sounding and looking guitar, and the string action is great, but I'm not a fan of that thick neck.  I thought since I have been primarily a bass player for 17 years, the neck would be fine.  But, sine I switched to guitar in my band, I find my hand cramping up after a while.  This guitar would probably be great for soembody with E.T. fingers, but it's not for me.

After testing various Gretsch's, Epiphones, etc, I ended up with, unbelievably, an Ibanez.  It's a rubyburst AF75 and other than the name on the headstock I love it.  It played easily better than anything I tried, looked incredible, sounded better than most of the guitars I tried (admittedly I was in the $300-$700 range so Gibsons and high-end Gretsch were out).  It has the fancier older trapeze tailpiece that has since been replaced by the "T" style on some of the guitars. (THere seems to be no rhyme or reason on the tailpiece as the same models and years had different ones.  Different factories maybe?). Plus, it had a slight mark on the back of the neck so I got it at under 3 bills.  I couldn't believe it.  I'll probably change out the pickups and pots (which sound really good as is) and will definitely put in a bone nut, but other than that it's one helluva guitar.

After falling in love with and obtaining an Ibanez Talman and now this, I need to rethink my prejudice against this company. 

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #52 on: 03 May 2009, 17:59 »

If it is a real man's sunburst and not a shitty cherry sunburst you've got a deal. Black doesn't fade nearly as bad as transparent red.
If it is a real man's sunburst and not a shitty cherry sunburst you've got a deal.
If it is a real man's sunburst and not a shitty cherry sunburst
shitty cherry sunburst
FIGHT. YOU. BITCH!
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
« Reply #53 on: 04 May 2009, 00:33 »

After testing various Gretsch's, Epiphones, etc, I ended up with, unbelievably, an Ibanez.  It's a rubyburst AF75 and other than the name on the headstock I love it.  It played easily better than anything I tried, looked incredible, sounded better than most of the guitars I tried (admittedly I was in the $300-$700 range so Gibsons and high-end Gretsch were out).  It has the fancier older trapeze tailpiece that has since been replaced by the "T" style on some of the guitars. (THere seems to be no rhyme or reason on the tailpiece as the same models and years had different ones.  Different factories maybe?). Plus, it had a slight mark on the back of the neck so I got it at under 3 bills.  I couldn't believe it.  I'll probably change out the pickups and pots (which sound really good as is) and will definitely put in a bone nut, but other than that it's one helluva guitar.

I have an '04 AS75T and you picked out the issues with it straight away.  The nut is a cheap piece of shit (mine broke, actually, a couple weeks after I got it) and the pickups could use a wee-bit more oomph but are otherwise not-too-bad.  Yeah, alright, the binding material feels cheap too, however, I'm the original owner on mine and play it fairly regularly and it has stayed put, so I guess I won't complain about it.

Basically, for under $500 you can put together an instrument that the vast majority of people cannot differentiate from an ES-335 in a blind listen off.  I'm really quite happy with mine and I stand by my statement a couple pages back that the hate on so many people seem to have for Ibanez is mostly unjustified.

In other news (and what I popped into the thread for) is that I just got a new (to me) band saw and am now re-considering my earlier statement that the guitar I'm currently building would be an explorer shape.  I'm now thinking a Jazzmaster shape in British racing green with H-S-H pickups, or perhaps just two humbuckers and SG wiring/pots (no pickguard). 

Meh.. I'm not ready to start working on the body yet, so it could change again.  The only thing I know for sure is that it's going to be green and chrome with a maple neck.   :laugh:

BlahBlah

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #54 on: 04 May 2009, 05:57 »

For some reason my dad went crazy last night and bought a strat body, bridge, neck and tuners on eBay for £50 altogether. We have some spare pickups and we're thinking of wiring it like http://www.1728.com/guitar2.htm

I fully expect this to sound pretty bad, I can't imagine the quality of a neck that cost £16. Does anyone have any experience of building cheap, nasty guitars?

zerobar

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #55 on: 04 May 2009, 09:29 »

^Yeah, I saw somewhere on the internet that these people made these complete guitar kits for somewhere around $150. They had an ibanez rg kit where the body was routed like a regular ibanez body, but the frets where not in the right place, in relation to the end of the neck. I am almost COMPLETELY sure that the scale was WAY off. I didn't feel too good about the other kits, either. But, you never know. It might be cut right, but it's still probably bottom of the line Chinese manufacture, and i bet the quality of wood is pretty bad. for the price though....

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #56 on: 04 May 2009, 16:20 »

Lately I've been finding BBE effects really interesting.  Particularly their Sonic Maximizer and the Mind Bender Chorus/Vibrato.

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #57 on: 05 May 2009, 12:50 »

Lately I have fallen in love with the Fender Hot Rod Deville 410. I also have fallen in love with having absolutely no money with which to procure one.

imapiratearg

« Reply #58 on: 05 May 2009, 18:57 »

I have one.

Teehee!

Tehz

• The German Chancellory building
  • and the driving snow that drives me home
« Reply #59 on: 05 May 2009, 20:16 »

Lately I've fallen in love with OSG member nealescott's blonde Nocaster clone.

He's trying to sell it and I called dibs. Assuming I can get a couple hundred bucks more together before he gets back to me, I should have a sexy new instrument in my collection.  :-D

(due to terrible economic circumstances, my "collection" currently consists of my Jazzmaster and that's it. I had to sell both my Mexican Tele Deluxe and my Epiphone  :cry:)

sean

• welp
« Reply #60 on: 05 May 2009, 20:19 »

oh dear god

oh dear fucking god
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

imapiratearg

« Reply #61 on: 05 May 2009, 20:21 »

What?  The guitar or the Mets sticker?

Afterthought: What makes a Nocatser a Nocaster?  Is it the bridge?

Tehz

« Reply #62 on: 05 May 2009, 20:25 »

The lack of the word "Telecaster" on the headstock.

As far as I know that's really the only major difference. Telecasters were originally called Broadcasters but Gretsch tried to sue them over it or something so they just removed the word from the headstock for the period of time before they changed the name to Telecaster; the headstock just said "Fender".

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Could use a wish right now
    • bookface
« Reply #63 on: 05 May 2009, 20:42 »

I have one.

Teehee!

So do I.  High five!

imapiratearg

« Reply #64 on: 05 May 2009, 21:21 »

Yeah!

o/

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #65 on: 06 May 2009, 04:49 »

Hey dogg nowhere did I say that black-burst isn't good but I will seriously cunt you if you suggest cherry-burst is shit again.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #66 on: 06 May 2009, 05:12 »

OH GOD YOU'RE GETTING THE MR. MET TELE?

I love that fucking guitar. WELL DONE, SIR.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #67 on: 06 May 2009, 07:06 »

Lately I have fallen in love with the Fender Hot Rod Deville 410. I also have fallen in love with having absolutely no money with which to procure one.

I am currently fapping over the Blues DeVille 410. o/

Hey dogg nowhere did I say that black-burst isn't good but I will seriously cunt you if you suggest cherry-burst is shit again.

Cherry-burst is shit.

(I need a good cunting, it's been ages since I got laid)

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #68 on: 06 May 2009, 07:43 »

WELL DONE, SIR.

(It may be known already that I am a huge Mets fan)
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #69 on: 06 May 2009, 09:47 »

Hi, guys. I recently rediscovered an old blog post I made in a mostly-joking fashion, and I thought you guys might be amused:

Fuck you, guitarists. You are collectively my least favourite kind of musician (except for drummers) because:

1. You are such competitive assholes that it gets in the way of playing good music.

2. You're obsessed with your own fucking idea of "good" music and the true path of guitar playing that you can't open your mind to other paths, and thus hamstring yourselves as musicians.

3. You imitate other guitarists so fucking much that you'll never develop as an individual musician.

4. You think you're hot shit when you can't play. You know that faggot from My Chemical Romance? Or, well, both of them? They might play for a shitty pop-rock band, but I'd bet all my guitars that they're better than you.

5. You play with no emotion. Fuck you all. No matter if you're shredding, playing the blues, or rock or funk or whatever. You all sound so fucking stale, learn to communicate you musically illiterate fuckwits.

6. You can't read standard notation. What kind of musician can't fucking read standard notation? You, evidently. Fuck you.

Guitarists are the worst musicians. Ever.

This was the result of spending too much time on a guitar forum with people who were so insecure about their skills that they had to attack others and other genres whenever possible. I don't really think this way about guitarists, but there's an inkling of truth to this.

Tehz

« Reply #70 on: 06 May 2009, 13:02 »

Me getting Mr. Met isn't quite set in stone, but I'm currently trying to arrange something with Neale. Hopefully things will work out in my favor.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #71 on: 07 May 2009, 05:28 »

illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #72 on: 07 May 2009, 06:11 »

WELL DONE, SIR.

(It may be known already that I am a huge Mets fan)

Yeah, you've told me that. I'm not really a Mets fan, but that sticker looks so rad on that guitar.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
« Reply #73 on: 07 May 2009, 06:48 »

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #74 on: 07 May 2009, 09:31 »

And has pretty shitty tone.

imapiratearg

« Reply #75 on: 07 May 2009, 09:39 »

Um... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LatgU0Scr6o&feature=related
UR GTR IS 2 POINTY

That thing hurts my eyes to look at.

He looks like he's in danger of hurting his eyes too, with that upper bout.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #76 on: 07 May 2009, 11:54 »

Hi, guys. I recently rediscovered an old blog post I made in a mostly-joking fashion, and I thought you guys might be amused:

Fuck you, guitarists. You are collectively my least favourite kind of musician (except for drummers) because:

1. You are such competitive assholes that it gets in the way of playing good music.

2. You're obsessed with your own fucking idea of "good" music and the true path of guitar playing that you can't open your mind to other paths, and thus hamstring yourselves as musicians.

3. You imitate other guitarists so fucking much that you'll never develop as an individual musician.

4. You think you're hot shit when you can't play. You know that faggot from My Chemical Romance? Or, well, both of them? They might play for a shitty pop-rock band, but I'd bet all my guitars that they're better than you.

5. You play with no emotion. Fuck you all. No matter if you're shredding, playing the blues, or rock or funk or whatever. You all sound so fucking stale, learn to communicate you musically illiterate fuckwits.

6. You can't read standard notation. What kind of musician can't fucking read standard notation? You, evidently. Fuck you.

Guitarists are the worst musicians. Ever.

This was the result of spending too much time on a guitar forum with people who were so insecure about their skills that they had to attack others and other genres whenever possible. I don't really think this way about guitarists, but there's an inkling of truth to this.

Most if not all of those are true of a lot of people I know, and are part of the reasoning why I don't refer to myself as a 'guitarist' much any more, so much as someone who plays guitar.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #77 on: 07 May 2009, 16:19 »

And has pretty shitty tone.

I actually quite disagree, I really like the way that thing sounds.

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #78 on: 07 May 2009, 20:37 »

Most if not all of those are true of a lot of people I know, and are part of the reasoning why I don't refer to myself as a 'guitarist' much any more, so much as someone who plays guitar.

We agree on something.

This comforts me.

imapiratearg

« Reply #79 on: 07 May 2009, 21:21 »

So, I'm probably going to buy that Telecaster tomorrow.  I'm pretty excited.  I don't think I'm going to get much for my Strat, though since I scratched the piss out of the finish.  :|  I wish I could get 'em out by myself.
« Last Edit: 07 May 2009, 21:32 by imapiratearg »

Bearer

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • The Corgi Commands Awesome
« Reply #80 on: 07 May 2009, 21:24 »

yes, it's a full hollow body.

It's being built by member oigun at the tdpri forums
Heres the link to the topic: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/160819-thintelemaster.html
Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.

imapiratearg

« Reply #81 on: 07 May 2009, 21:35 »

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #82 on: 07 May 2009, 21:43 »

It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #83 on: 07 May 2009, 23:29 »

Holy flaming bastard semi-hollow Jag-caster Batman.

Also I think flamed tops are not tasteful. I challenge someone to prove me wrong.

They are beautiful in the sense that flamed wood finishes look pretty cool but in combination with the rest of the components that make up a guitar they are overkill and never look nice.

imapiratearg

« Reply #84 on: 07 May 2009, 23:34 »

Yeah.  That's the only thing I don't like about that guitar.  Flamed tops only look good on sunburst jazz guitars, I think.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #85 on: 08 May 2009, 05:46 »

I don't think I'm going to get much for my Strat, though since I scratched the piss out of the finish.  :|  I wish I could get 'em out by myself.

PM me, dude. Is that the blue MIM guy? If you're willing to hold on to it a few months (at least 3) I'd be willing to snag this from you after I buy that hollowbody from Pat (pacafeliz) on OSG. I want to have a stock Strat again. I'll probably spraypaint it similar to what I did to my Squier, but eh :D

Also, Gene, that is not a flamed maple top, it is quilted. lern2wood

imapiratearg

« Reply #86 on: 08 May 2009, 07:09 »

No, it's a Made In Korea Squire.  Red sparkle.  You're thinking of someone else.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #87 on: 08 May 2009, 11:11 »

Suck me dry Patrick James they are both ugly.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #88 on: 08 May 2009, 17:36 »

Considering the lack of satisfaction the both of us have been experiencing, you shouldn't even joke about that shit, Eugene Gurvich. Anyway, I agree in the vast majority of cases. I'd LOVE to see Gibson start using non-figured maple in their guitar tops, because it's not like pristine, flawlessly bookmatched grade AAAAA flame maple makes the fucker sound better.

imapiratearg

« Reply #89 on: 08 May 2009, 20:43 »

Pulled the trigger on that semi-hollow Tele I posted a page or two back.

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
« Reply #90 on: 08 May 2009, 22:13 »

Alright... so I have a confession to make:

I own a VG strat.

I know, I know, it's so uncool.  But I have plenty of 'real' guitars.  I'm quite comfortable in owning a gimmick.  I got to tell you though... even though about half of the modeled sounds aren't worth a shit, (especially the accoustic ones) the half that are make that guitar a whole lot of fun to play.  I'm considering the 24 hours to record an album thing...  If I do, don't be surprised if you hear songs go from like 12 string to Open G in the same song.

Back to goofing off.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #91 on: 09 May 2009, 07:20 »

I hate you, GAS.

I want a Les Paul. A proper Les Paul. Carved top, set neck, humbuckers, that whole deal. Even an Epi studio would do the trick right now. I'm not even sure WHY I want one, but I do.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #92 on: 09 May 2009, 14:02 »

We agree on something.

This comforts me.

Bit bizarre that. We never agree on anything.

Zingoleb

« Reply #93 on: 09 May 2009, 14:11 »

I'm not a guitarist, I'm a musician. Guitar just happens to be my main instrument.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #94 on: 09 May 2009, 16:05 »

We care. A guitarist, in my eyes, is someone who plays guitar for their main, chosen instrument. Never mind if they play others, the guitar is what they play because they love playing guitar.

For me, every instrument is just a means to an end. I don't play guitar for the love of guitar, I play guitar for the love of music.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #95 on: 09 May 2009, 17:24 »

"OH NOES, A CERTAIN WORD THAT TYPICALLY APPLIES TO PEOPLE WHO ARE COINCIDENTALLY IDIOTS ALSO APPLIES TO ME, I MUST COMPLETELY REDEFINE MYSELF TO MAINTAIN COOL CRED"

I am with Jens, I hate that kind of shit. Let's just talk about our damn guitars, alright?

Today, I realized that playing nothing but chords on a guitar is infinitely more expressive than doing so on a piano. Fuck you, Elton John, my Jaguar hereby trumps your Steinway and is probably a tenth of the price.

(all due respect to Elton John, who is as technically skilled a pianist as you will probably ever find, I just don't like piano very much)

sean

• welp
« Reply #96 on: 09 May 2009, 18:55 »

hey guys i play two instruments what does that make me

er

fuck where did that trex smiley go i need it right now fuck
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

imapiratearg

« Reply #97 on: 09 May 2009, 23:48 »

I play three.

Oh shit, you guys.

oh shit

Nodaisho

« Reply #98 on: 10 May 2009, 01:36 »

hey guys i play two instruments what does that make me

er

fuck where did that trex smiley go i need it right now fuck
http://www.qwantz.com/forum/images/smiles/trex-omg.gif
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #99 on: 10 May 2009, 02:05 »

Today, I realized that playing nothing but chords on a guitar is infinitely more expressive than doing so on a piano

hate to do this in THE GUITAR TOPIC! but
not really dude

although i guess it depends on who's playing the chords on what too.
it's time to stop posting
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 92   Go Up