THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 18:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Couch to 5K Accountability Thread  (Read 70706 times)

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
Re: Couch to 5K Accountability Thread
« Reply #350 on: 12 Oct 2012, 19:04 »

OK, dammit, this began as a challenge, so I'll run tomorrow if it isn't raining. The chance of rain tomorrow is 100%, but that doesn't mean all day.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #351 on: 13 Oct 2012, 01:20 »

My getting up at 8am plan was foiled by my body's reluctance to acknowledge the plan, so I will run at 8pm instead!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #352 on: 29 Oct 2012, 13:35 »

The week before last was good for my exercise schedule: Monday - floorball, Tuesday - gym, Wednesday - floorball, Thursday+Friday -rest, Saturday - floorball, Sunday - 1½ hours bike ride. Last week started out the same, but the 6 inches of snow we got on Friday sorta ruined the outdoors for me. I barely made it home safely as my car did not have winter tires on (I had to push the car off snow once, as I couldn't keep it on the road in a bend even though I was going really slow).

Well, the car has studded tires now. If I find the time I will put some on my bike, too. Otherwise I will either wait for the snow to melt away (half gone already) or more snow to come so that i can go skiing.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #353 on: 29 Oct 2012, 15:55 »

I haven't run at all yet - I did think about going tonight when I had some spare time, but I couldn't face it. I seem to have lost any enjoyment I had for running. I am doing yoga on a weekly basis though, and I can feel the ache today. Perhaps when I get out of the habit of being up til 2am I might feel energised (and guilty!) enough to go to the gym.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #354 on: 29 Oct 2012, 18:15 »

Is it possible that The Boy runs?

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #355 on: 29 Oct 2012, 18:41 »

Soo I haven't run since I finished the 5K a month ago. I took the dog for a few 3+ mile walks, but it's not the same. I'm committing: once this hurricane blows through (Wednesday? Thursday? Friday? we'll see) I'm going for a run. Even if I wimp out and only go a little bit, at least I'm running, right?
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #356 on: 30 Oct 2012, 01:50 »

Bob, The Boy rows sometimes and does yoga with me, but I don't think he runs. What he does is lots of science. He shames me into working more, without meaning to (or probably realising it).

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #357 on: 30 Oct 2012, 10:04 »

Bob, The Boy rows sometimes and does yoga with me, but I don't think he runs. What he does is lots of science. He shames me into working more, without meaning to (or probably realising it).
That much impact? That's a relationship!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #358 on: 31 Oct 2012, 02:55 »

Yup, it is :D

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #359 on: 13 Feb 2014, 09:44 »

Rebooted C25K today, a sunny day in the 60s in Tucson. As exercise goes, it was a Piece of Cake. Anyone wanna run with me?

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #360 on: 13 Feb 2014, 10:08 »

It's a bit early, but I'm going to have to decide soon.  One the snow starts to melt, I'll either go back to running, or pick a bike ride, perhaps a double century, that I want to train for.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #361 on: 13 Feb 2014, 13:07 »

I'm getting ready to start up again too! But apparently I'm not supposed to have a sustained heart rate over 140 bpm while prego? I don't think I've ever registered a heart rate over like 120.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #362 on: 13 Feb 2014, 16:08 »

Def talk to a doctor.  Pretty sure I've run, at least casually, with pregnant people.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #363 on: 13 Feb 2014, 16:47 »

That's what the doctor told me when I asked if it was ok to run!
Whatever, I'm going to start back at the beginning because it's been since October, and see how far I can get.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #364 on: 13 Feb 2014, 19:32 »

Wow, crazy stuff! I guess if I decide to work out when I get pregnant, it'll have to be reeeeeeally low impact lol. At peak I'll usually top out at 170/175ish. "Average" while working out for me is about 150.

......does that say something about how (un)fit I am? Or do some people just have higher heart rates??
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #365 on: 13 Feb 2014, 19:35 »

The only pregnant person I know (currently) that still runs was a marathon runner before she got pregnant. I think everyone else did pretty low key stuff.

Also my heart rate always gets very high when I work out. Even when I was fit for the most part. I don't remember what to, though. Guh. I really need to start working out again, but I really don't like running when I am not already fit. (I only tolerate it when I am.)
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #366 on: 13 Feb 2014, 19:47 »

I miss running....I really do. It was such a great stress relief. Then the shin splints started. We don't need to go over that again.....ugh. Suffice it to say that the one thing I found that made the shin splints go away- compression sleeves- made my calves cramp up. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I have since made friends with the elliptical. Now, if I could make it to the gym more than twice a week and put the damn cookies down. :-P
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #367 on: 14 Feb 2014, 03:24 »

Necessary caveat: I'm not qualified, I'm barely even trained. Talk to your midwife/doctor for more advice, but the basic thing about exercise in pregnancy is not to suddenly start doing anything your body isn't used to. If you were already running, you can carry on doing that (as long as you don't push yourself too hard). If you were already weight lifting, that's still an option - but obviously falls, drops and so forth are a more serious risk.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #368 on: 15 Feb 2014, 19:25 »

So May, are there hills in Oxford, Shropshire, Yorkshire? I expect there are, from what little I know.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #369 on: 16 Feb 2014, 05:17 »

I've never been to Oxford (well that's not true techincally; I have been to the ice rink and a nearby hotel) but in my head all of that bit of England is flat like it has been steam-rolled. Yorkshire and Shropshire, at least the bits we're going to, are nothing BUT hills. If you are planning on running while you're here I guess I'd better pack my running gear too!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #370 on: 16 Feb 2014, 10:58 »

Oxford is in the Thames Valley between the Chiltern Hills, the Cotswolds, and the Berkshire Downs - that's why the Thames is so full of water!  Headington (where I live) is up a hill inside the Oxford ring road.  OK, they're not mountains here, nor even like the Yorkshire Moors, but it's definitely not flat.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #371 on: 16 Feb 2014, 11:50 »

From the B&B, there appears to be a riverside walk toward town, so I suppose that's flat.
And May, from the other thread, maybe I should bring my wrist BP monitor along with the GPS and the running gear.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #372 on: 16 Feb 2014, 11:55 »

That section of the towpath alongside the Isis was flooded in parts until yesterday, but I believe that today it is no longer under water.  The path from Abingdon Road to the towpath might still be flooded, though.  I hope that the weather will have eased off by the time you come!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up