THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: British forum meetup  (Read 10397 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Re: British forum meetup
« Reply #50 on: 21 Jan 2014, 03:15 »

I don't have a table, so I'd like to see you try  :mrgreen:
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #51 on: 21 Jan 2014, 04:03 »

But we do have the exact same phrase.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #52 on: 21 Jan 2014, 04:25 »

Well I'm sure we'll find something I can drink you under.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #53 on: 21 Jan 2014, 05:34 »

How about May?  :mrgreen:

(kidding)

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #54 on: 21 Jan 2014, 07:26 »

You'll probably drink me under the table.

So is this really a thing? Are we doing this?

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #55 on: 21 Jan 2014, 07:41 »

a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #56 on: 21 Jan 2014, 07:51 »

We are doing this. I think maybe May and Hodgy and I need to iron out some details and then create some kind of itinerary thing.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #57 on: 21 Jan 2014, 08:23 »

If you want more culture than the pub round, the Ashmolean Museum was recently rebuilt, and now has a stunning interior.  It's one of the world's great museums anyway, so time spent there is not wasted.  When you see the Kirckman harpsichord in the musical instruments section, remember that the National Sound Archive in the British Library contains a recording of me playing it in 1968:

I don't know how well Gareth knows the city-centre pubs (he can get drunk as effectively in Abingdon, after all); if necessary I can help out, though I'm probably less of a connoisseur of these things.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #58 on: 21 Jan 2014, 08:38 »

This might lead to a bit of a split in the tour group. If you folks are wanting some culture, I gotta say I'm not really interested in the local culture, but I am down for gaming, drinking, hanging out, etc. If everyone wants to do the culture thing I don't mind tagging along though. Should probably note that I have zero transport.

Also, I live in Abingdon NOT Oxford, so anyone staying with me will have a bus ride home and to come back into Oxford. I don't know if anybody wants to make this slightly more Abingdon-centric for convenience for all concerned or what.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #59 on: 23 Jan 2014, 02:18 »

Just found out I definitely cannot come - would need a visa, which would cost me at least 100 bucks, and I cannot afford that :(
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #60 on: 23 Jan 2014, 03:51 »

I'm pretty short, it would be quite hard to drink under me.

Loki, why do you need a visa? Aren't you a resident of Germany? This is the EU, we have freedom of movement!

In terms of an itinerary, I have annual leave the week of the 24th so theoretically could stay for a few days. I'm meant to be at an opera rehearsal on the evening of the 24th but I'll have been at most of them in the weeks before that and all of them after that, so could probably get away with missing one. I'd need to be home by the evening of the 26th at the latest and couldn't arrive before the 21st.

Bob, if you do decide to come then you absolutely must plan to be here for at least two weeks, and we'll go visiting places round the UK as we'd planned. I'll have to figure something out about the three-times-a-week rehearsal schedule I'm meant to be on, but it's workable.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #61 on: 23 Jan 2014, 04:04 »

I guess that he doesn't have an EC passport, and that his permission to be in Germany doesn't extend to Britain because we opted out of the Schengen Agreement.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #62 on: 23 Jan 2014, 04:04 »

Stupid British border control.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #63 on: 23 Jan 2014, 08:55 »

I guess that he doesn't have an EC passport, and that his permission to be in Germany doesn't extend to Britain because we opted out of the Schengen Agreement.
That is correct.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #64 on: 23 Jan 2014, 09:14 »

Hmph. How ridiculous.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #65 on: 23 Jan 2014, 14:29 »

If this happens let me know! I don't have money right now but I'm definitely up for this and it'd be nice to go with the intention of visiting people because trying to work it around other trips can be awkward.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #66 on: 27 Jan 2014, 03:48 »

So, my plans for this have taken a bit of a setback. My cat got sick over the weekend and using the emergency vet was pretty goddamn expensive. Most of what I saved up over the last few months is gone now, so I'm not sure if I can save up enough in time to make it to the meeting. But at least she's better now, even eating again, so it was all worth it.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #67 on: 27 Jan 2014, 15:39 »

:( I am sorry your cat got sick and sorry that it means you unexpectedly have less money, but I'm glad that the vet could make her better!

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #68 on: 27 Jan 2014, 20:22 »

I will be there.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #69 on: 28 Jan 2014, 02:15 »

Once we get into mid/late February will start arranging this fo' serious. My life can be a bit... spontaneous so I'd like to leave it until closer to before we iron out the details.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #70 on: 28 Jan 2014, 09:46 »

I will be traveling the UK with my boyfriend in March, unfortunately I won't be able to make it to Oxford or London. Besides Glasgow we're going to Edinburgh, Newcastle, Cardiff, Liverpool and Bristol though so if anyone are able/willing to hang out I'd be down.

I have family ties to at least 3 of those places, and will likely get to them at some point in my life.  Alas, not this year.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #71 on: 28 Jan 2014, 09:49 »

Well since RedBall is flying in from the USA to be there, and I'm definitely going to Paul's concert, this is happening - hopefully Gareth will be able to join us! For my part I'll arrive on Saturday 22nd and either leave on the Sunday or Monday depending on what's planned.

ZJGent

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Night Talk at Harvey's
« Reply #72 on: 29 Jan 2014, 13:56 »

Some weird unexpected stuff came up with work (some of it awesome though) so I might not be able to attend everything I said I'd be there for.

(In March / April ish I am now going to Grenoble with some of my colleagues!)
[02:29] Danosaur: I'd Spektor your Regina.

Metope

« Reply #73 on: 29 Jan 2014, 17:19 »

In March/April? But the thing I mentioned was in February! Or is there another thing as well?
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #74 on: 29 Jan 2014, 20:41 »

Preparations must be made, I assume! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #75 on: 29 Jan 2014, 23:52 »

In March/April? But the thing I mentioned was in February! Or is there another thing as well?

My concert is Saturday 22nd March, so meeting the people coming to Oxford that weekend is what Roddy will miss, I presume.

Metope

« Reply #76 on: 30 Jan 2014, 02:22 »

Oh sorry, Paul, I meant the thing I and some other people and possibly Roddy is going to, it's separate from this meetup so we should probably just take it in private.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #77 on: 31 Jan 2014, 11:45 »

I am making So Many Plans. I hope Redball is feeling rich because we are going to visit All The Places.

On Sunday, does anyone want to join us in pottering around Oxford looking at history? We'd be getting a reasonably early train out (early afternoon) so it'd just be a morning thing.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #78 on: 31 Jan 2014, 15:24 »

Even if you don't go around it, do at least go in to the Ashmolean; the newly rebuilt interior is fabulous.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #79 on: 31 Jan 2014, 16:04 »

I am making So Many Plans. I hope Redball is feeling rich because we are going to visit All The Places.

On Sunday, does anyone want to join us in pottering around Oxford looking at history? We'd be getting a reasonably early train out (early afternoon) so it'd just be a morning thing.
Redball is OK with it. And May is presenting a budget that seems large to a student, but not too threatening to a pensioner thinking, WTF! YOLO!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #80 on: 31 Jan 2014, 17:34 »

Hangover depending - probably.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #81 on: 09 Feb 2014, 19:15 »

I started my trip to Oxford Saturday. Started from Michigan, got as far as Tucumcari New Mexico Sunday.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up