Butts!!!!
- 13 (14.4%)
Something else (Please specify)
- 6 (6.7%)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
- 3 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2626-2630 (Jan 27 - 31 2014) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 127491 times)

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

Am I the only one to find those "normal" versions of the characters downright scary?
More boring than scary. Then again who wants to be normal?

I do.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Mind if I ask why?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

I don't. Being insane was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Or did it? Who knows? I certainly don't! I mean honestly I can't even conclusively prove any of you, and by you I mean the entire species exists. So I may as well just enjoy what ever delusions my clearly diseased mind is throwing at me.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

That's not insanity, that's just philosophy. Yes, there's a difference. No, I can't prove that.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

More boring than scary. Then again who wants to be normal?

(click to show/hide)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Grass is always greener I suppose. Even cybernetic space grass.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

GarandMarine

• Awakened

That's not insanity, that's just philosophy. Yes, there's a difference. No, I can't prove that.

From what I understand, normalcy and sanity involves not pondering stuff like that and/or letting it affect your world view. I dunno, I don't really get "sanity" or "normal" even as theoretical concepts.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

From what I understand, normalcy and sanity involves not pondering stuff like that and/or letting it affect your world view.
...how can you even have a world view without considering any of this?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Normal Pintsize is a contradiction in terms.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Not really. There's only one Pintsize, so Pintsize is automatically Normal Pintsize, being like every other Pintsize. If anything, it's redundant.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

From what I understand, normalcy and sanity involves not pondering stuff like that and/or letting it affect your world view. I dunno, I don't really get "sanity" or "normal" even as theoretical concepts.
From that point of view, people that are "normal" are probably the most insane things currently on this planet.

I think I'll stick with being me. Insanity and all.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

I get the feeling that nowadays "normal"=boring in many people's perception, which is why a majority of people rather try to cultivate being non-normal, individual, a bit "insane".
So I'd argue that today, being non-normal is normal.  :-D

(About the "insane" bit: I'm definitely not saying that psychologically ill people only pretend to be so to get attention or seem individual. Just that apparently acting outside the behavioural norm (!?) - or perceiving oneself so - is a popular thing. It's a humorous comment :-) )

"Normal" is a weird term anyway.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

My bet is she doesn't get upset in front of him, makes a Claire-esque bad pun and laughs it all off.

And then she gets angry/sad/etc in private, such that we the audience know, but Mark is once again blissfully unaware.
Sad, definitely. Not angry. But she'd get over it. Just a pleasant but unrealistic dream.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I was about to say, it sounds like you're all confusing normal for boring!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

If all the characters were well-adjusted, Marten wouldn't exist.

Because Veronica and Henry wouldn't have even met in the middle of a line of coke. And even if they had, they wouldn't have gotten married and had Marten, because Henry would've been comfortable with being gay.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Alternate perspective: Human beings are, as a rule, a mess. We make bad decisions, we have emotional breakdowns, we screw up constantly. Somebody who never does any of that is so rare that they can hardly be considered "normal" - they're a tremendous outlier on the scale of human existence. So all of your little weird quirks and problems and fuckups are what make you normal.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

GarandMarine

• Awakened

From what I understand, normalcy and sanity involves not pondering stuff like that and/or letting it affect your world view.
...how can you even have a world view without considering any of this?

Dude. You don't want to know. Trust me on this one.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

Mind if I ask why?

Years of forced solitude because you can't act the same way, you can't communicate the same way gets old very quickly and you just want to be normal.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

What now?

Marten Reed Cleaners LTD ........ 18 (20%)  <----  What most of us thought would happen

My, my, MYYYYYYYYYY Delilah!!!! ........ 14 (15.6%)  <----- What actually happened

Resetting Tai ........ 9 (10%)
Marten swings ........ 13 (14.4%)
A week of Yelling Bird and Sweet Tits ........ 9 (10%)
Waffles, Spathe Ham and Green Eggs with Coffee ........ 5 (5.6%)
Butts!!!! ........ 13 (14.4%)
Something else (Please specify) ........ 6 (6.7%)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher ........ 3 (3.3%)

Poll locked and closed.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Took me some time to collect my thoughts on what follows, and I've been busy. Sorry for the delay.

Well, you did sort of imply you thought Delilah was wrong for choosing not to see Marten anymore, when it's perfectly within her rights imo. But I'm sorry if I misread you on that and it's not what you meant.
By default, I tend to assume that if someone misreads me, it's because I've been unclear. So I'll start over in a more collected fashion.

First of all, I didn't make any statement about Delilah's answer to Marten. I looked up all of my posts on this thread just in case I forgot something, but no, I really didn't.
What I have strong feelings about is the way greywolfe chose to interpret Marten's reaction.
Thanks to Method of Madness, I'm now able to say something about Delilah, though, and it helped me pinpoint what irked me about greywolfe's position.
As a remainder, here is greywolfe's post that rubbed me all the wrong way at a time when I was hungover, sleep-deprived, cranky, and already irked by the way other posters jumped to conclusions like Frogger on floating logs (sorry for the obscure simile, kids, but I'm 38, so duh):
Jesus Christ. If anyone needs therapy, it's Marten.

It was a one-night stand, casual sex. You know, the thing that normal, healthy adults can do without having a debriefing session afterwards. Build a bridge and take a teaspoon of cement ffs.

And here's the post than enlightened me:
Still a little messed up, though, but it'd be messed up even if they hadn't had sex. Like if they got along, and hung out and just talked and then the next day Delilah just decided she never wanted to see him again, I'd find that a little messed up. Within her rights, sure, but messed up.
I half-disagree. To me, there's nothing messed up with the substance of the answer in either case. People are entitled to manage their social connections however they want. Well, save for being abusive, but that's besides the point because no one here has been abusive.
I'm totally okay with Delilah's stating that she has no use for Marten in her life except as a vague acquaintance and that she doesn't give a shit if they never ever meet again. She's totally entitled to this stance, because it's her life.
However, there's something puzzling with the way she chose to phrase it, and thanks to the context shift you proposed, MoM, I can finally pinpoint why it puzzled me. If they had just spent the night chatting or exchanging jokes or playing Scrabble, her answer would have been very weird indeed (leaving aside the first name blunder). What's so special with sex that makes her answer any less weird?

As for Marten's reaction, it's totally understandable. He's been rejected. No matter what the circumstances, rejection is still a bummer. Those who pretend the contrary either lie (possibly primary to themselves), or should really reconsider why they bother to interact with other people to begin with - seriously, they could just stop altogether, that would make room for people who actually care.

Rejection is something one learns to cope with, and among the things that helps to cope with thing one isn't used to, are friends. Since it's quite obvious by everything we know about him that Marten isn't used to rejection, there's nothing weird with his reaction. It's perfectly normal and healthy.

So yeah, I was definitely irked when greywolfe burned Marten for his perfectly understandable feelings. Feelings that, by the way, he's totally entitled to, just as Delilah was entitled to her answer.

Years of forced solitude because you can't act the same way, you can't communicate the same way gets old very quickly and you just want to be normal.
Being normal and getting along are two different things. Something that prevents you from getting along whereas you'd like to is called an illness.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Not really. There's only one Pintsize, so Pintsize is automatically Normal Pintsize, being like every other Pintsize. If anything, it's redundant.

There is also only one Marten Reed. Even if there are others with the same name. And one Hannelore and so on. Is Hannelore therefore normal? Is everybody normal? If so, redundant indeed.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Exactly, especially since "normal" is a fairly useless word anyway. I mean, it was an amusing game, and I like how the characters ended up worse off than they would've been (or non-existent), but yeah.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Up