Butts!!!!
- 13 (14.4%)
Something else (Please specify)
- 6 (6.7%)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
- 3 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2626-2630 (Jan 27 - 31 2014) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 129586 times)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Cosette sinks a 3-pointer.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Oh yes. But I find the setting a bit strange. This should have been a confidential talk between Marten and Steve. They could have gone for a morning walk while Cosette fixed breakfast  :lol:

Srxjo

• Plantmonster
  • 死神

Oh yes. But I find the setting a bit strange. This should have been a confidential talk between Marten and Steve. They could have gone for a morning walk while Cosette fixed breakfast  :lol:

That'd be letting him off too easily, Steve would just high five him for getting laid, Marten always needs someone to be there to call him an idiot, Steve wouldn't do that in this case.

But really though, while having Steve's opinion is a good thing like someone said before, just going off what he says isn't really all that a good thing and it's better to get a mix of opinions on the matter which then gives you wider view of the topic, and damn Marten if you're going to bitch she didn't remember your name at least remember her name.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

I think Marten's forgetting her name is just a brain fart, and a good one at that. Now he might realise that he doesn't really care that she's not into having a relationship.
What do you know about Pokémon?

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Not that Marten ever did anything to suggest he was aiming for a relationship.

Well, depends on what one means by "relationship", I guess.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

OK, I amend my sentence to end with "that she's not interesting in seeing him again" or something.
What do you know about Pokémon?

greywolfe

• Balloon animal serial killer

Jesus Christ. If anyone needs therapy, it's Marten.

It was a one-night stand, casual sex. You know, the thing that normal, healthy adults can do without having a debriefing session afterwards. Build a bridge and take a teaspoon of cement ffs.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Please swallow up your judgemental shit, greywolfe. People's experiences are actually more diverse than in your puny narrow mind.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Moderator Comment No personal attacks please.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I think Marten is a bit like me - he needs to talk stuff through, preferably with someone else but alone if necessary, to figure out exactly what he feels. Lots of different responses that all seem perfectly reasonable, but which one does he feel the most? And yes, I think perhaps he would benefit from therapy (let's face it, who wouldn't?) but out of all the main cast he seems to be the most content and stable, so it's not urgent.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

No personal attacks please.
That wasn't an attack. If I had meant to make it an attack, I'd have added "and choke on it" to my first sentence. I don't see why greywolfe should be allowed to be dickishly insulting towards millions of people and I shouldn't be allowed to be a bit abrasive in my answer.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Monday: Oh Gawd, Marten...
Tuesday: Omigod, that worked??
Wednesday: ...Oops. [followed closely by] What is he wearing?
Thursday: I've never seen Cosette look so flat-chested.
Friday: Marten confess and forgets

Eventful week, indeed! I guess next week will be something entirely different. But will there be some lasting effects? Has Marten changed, or will he still be a loser without any goals in life?

greywolfe

That wasn't an attack. If I had meant to make it an attack, I'd have added "and choke on it" to my first sentence. I don't see why greywolfe should be allowed to be dickishly insulting towards millions of people and I shouldn't be allowed to be a bit abrasive in my answer.

How was it an insult? He's stressing out because a he didn't get commitment out of a one night stand. That's just silly.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Commitment? In what fantasyland do you live where there is a strip in which Marten said or did anything about commitment with regard to Delilah?
What the fuck is your definition of "commitment"?

greywolfe

Commitment? In what fantasyland do you live where there is a strip in which Marten said or did anything about commitment with regard to Delilah?
What the fuck is your definition of "commitment"?

Why is he obsessing over her not remembering his name? Did he remember the pot and alcohol combination from the previous night? He's acting like someone who has forgotten what casual sex usually involves, which probably means he's missing being in a relationship.

This is just IMHO. No need to jump up and down.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

The problem here is not what either of you is saying (the discussion is pretty similar to the kind we have all the time) but of tone. Schmorgluck, please stop swearing. Greywolfe, please don't be so dismissive of behaviour just because you wouldn't do it yourself. Everyone's at a different stage of personal growth.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

nosaJay19

• Plantmonster
  • Ready...! Say "fuzzy pickles!"

Alternate titles for Thursday's comic:

(click to show/hide)

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Why is he obsessing over her not remembering his name? Did he remember the pot and alcohol combination from the previous night? He's acting like someone who has forgotten what casual sex usually involves, which probably means he's missing being in a relationship.
No QC comic exists that indicates that he's "obsessing" about that either. You really live in a fascinating bizarro world. Also, nice job conflating people with consumable products in your second sentence. I don't even need to try to make you look bad, you made a frigging good job of it.

Your alleging that he has forgotten "what casual sex usually involves" (citation needed, by the way) implies that he has been adhering at some point to your definition of casual sex, which apparently involves systematically kicking your temporary partner out of your life forever.

So, apparently, your definition of casual sex means treating people like throwaway commodities.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

The 'he hit me first' argument is not going to fly on this forum, champ.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Oooooh. Cosette shoots and she scores! Ending the match with a clean victory.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Maybe, but I won't concess to the tone argument. When people are saying shit, I don't give a fuck if they use swear words or not.

LittleKing

• Emoticontraindication

Your alleging that he has forgotten "what casual sex usually involves" (citation needed, by the way) implies that he has been adhering at some point to your definition of casual sex, which apparently involves systematically kicking your temporary partner out of your life forever.

So, apparently, your definition of casual sex means treating people like throwaway commodities.
Sorry to but in, BUT - Do you think Delilah treated Marten like a throwaway commodity? I think you're looking at the situation with a bit of an extreme point of view.

I thought she was pretty straightforward about the whole thing, she didn't just discard him. She apologized for waking him up, called him cutie, stressed how much fun she had but that ultimately she didn't want to make it into something more. Which is fair enough. She really doesn't owe him anything, does she? Just because they had sex (which Marten initiated with his makeouts flirtation, btw) doesn't mean she has to be a part of his life from that moment on, does it?

Sure, the name forgetting was unfortunate, but it was a wild night and clearly Marten is guilty of the same thing as proven by Cosette.

I sort of agree with greywolfe in that Marten, when you really get down to it, doesn't actually have anything to  "complain" or be upset about. He made a pass at a girl he didn't really know. It worked and they had sex and while it was fun she wanted to leave it at that. Oh, and they both forgot each others names. They both had the same amount of input in the way the story turned out, no one was used, everything was made clear at the appropriate time so... what's the big deal?
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2014, 04:47 by LittleKing »

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

I'm not saying anyone has been used or any bulldrek like that. What I'm taking issue with is people overinterpreting Marten's actions, blowing small details out of proportion. What the frag, pods?

It's like I'd go and say Marten his a real choom for having forgotten Delilah's name. I personally remember the name of every woman I've had sex with, every woman I've made out with, and even most of the women I should have made out with but didn't because I'm a gonk. But to each his own, chummers. It's not like there were rules about sex and relationships.

LittleKing

• Emoticontraindication

Well, you did sort of imply you thought Delilah was wrong for choosing not to see Marten anymore, when it's perfectly within her rights imo. But I'm sorry if I misread you on that and it's not what you meant.

However, in regards to Martens attitude now (the complaining about the name forgetting to Steve and Cosette), I don't think I'm overinterpreting anything. I simply don't think he has any particular reason to be bummed out by it when he's "guilty" of the same thing and the whole situation was instigated by him in the first place, and that was all I was commenting on ;)

But Marten will be Marten and he's shown that he tends to overanalyze things after they happen, even when there's not much to analyze.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Maybe, but I won't concess to the tone argument. When people are saying shit, I don't give a fuck if they use swear words or not.

You don't need to concede to the tone argument, you simply need to follow the forum rules and also the directions of the moderators about how to conduct a discussion.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Well, you did sort of imply you thought Delilah was wrong for choosing not to see Marten anymore, when it's perfectly within her rights imo.
Still a little messed up, though, but it'd be messed up even if they hadn't had sex. Like if they got along, and hung out and just talked and then the next day Delilah just decided she never wanted to see him again, I'd find that a little messed up. Within her rights, sure, but messed up.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

It was a one-night stand, casual sex. You know, the thing that normal, healthy adults can do without having a debriefing session afterwards. Build a bridge and take a teaspoon of cement ffs.
Oh, so I'm not a "normal, healthy adult" ? Because I dont get the idea of one night stands at all.
Carpe Diem

LittleKing

• Emoticontraindication

Still a little messed up, though, but it'd be messed up even if they hadn't had sex. Like if they got along, and hung out and just talked and then the next day Delilah just decided she never wanted to see him again, I'd find that a little messed up. Within her rights, sure, but messed up.
I agree, I don't think things need to be so radical either. But yeah, if she doesn't want to see him/be in touch then it's her choice...

But also her "let's not try to make this into something it isn't" comment feels to me like she just doesn't want to actively seek out or force a connection with Marten, but her friendly demeanor suggests that she likely wouldn't have a problem hanging out with him again under the right circumstances or if they met by chance or at another party or whatever. At least that's the way I read it.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I dunno, I've met people at parties and had a great time but not wanted to bother staying in touch with them because I already have plenty of friends and sometimes it's just too much hassle.

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier
  • Grammar is not half as important as clarity.

I'm not saying anyone has been used or any bulldrek like that. What I'm taking issue with is people overinterpreting Marten's actions, blowing small details out of proportion. What the frag, pods?

It's like I'd go and say Marten his a real choom for having forgotten Delilah's name. I personally remember the name of every woman I've had sex with, every woman I've made out with, and even most of the women I should have made out with but didn't because I'm a gonk. But to each his own, chummers. It's not like there were rules about sex and relationships.

In greywolfe's defense, I think it's fair to say that anyone who initiates sex with someone he just met using the line "You can pay me back with makeouts" after sort of awkwardly insisting on staying behind to help clean up is in no credible position to feel "used" or "commodified" after a brusque morning goodbye, and is certainly not going to garner sympathy when he goes to opine to his best friend.

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

Marten is new to casual hookups and is processing his feelings. 

It's not a huge deal really.  It's just a bit of character development. 

monkeyangst

• Not quite a lurker
    • Monkey Law

I'm trying to understand who the woman in these last two strips is. Everyone's referring to her as "Cosette," but she looks nothing like Cosette as I remember her. She looks more like the woman who talks to Steve as Cosette is being carted away in the ambulance in this strip, and I don't remember who that is.
Monkey Law - A webcomic for the highly evolved.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

That *IS* Cosette. (The one being carted off in the ambulance.) The girl yelling at Steve is her roommate.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Cosette in the current strip and the roommate in the strip that monkeyangst linked do look very similar.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!

Is... Cosette a time traveler?!   :-o Is that robe how she travels through time?!

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Cosette dyed her hair brown to work at CoD because there were already too many blondes.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Is... Cosette a time traveler?!   :-o Is that robe how she travels through time?!
That, or, being roommates and all, there was some confusion regarding the ownership of that exact garment?
Or perhaps they got them in a two-for-one deal and the last two in their sizes were the same colour?

As for the resemblance, that's two parts Jeph's evolving art style to one part Faye's crypto-flaxen conspiracy theory.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Cosette dyed her hair brown to work at CoD because there were already too many blondes.
Actually, she stopped dyeing her hair blonde. This is her natural color.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Are you sure? I thought she dyed it to get back to brown quickly - but of course if that's her natural colour then she won't have needed to do that more than once. I'm sure I remember seeing a hair-dying strip though.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

This is the strip:
 Re-Dyeing hair.

Also, it was mentioned that she dyed her hair to blonde in here.

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Yes, Cosette definitely dyed her hair brown when she first started working at COD - though a very different brown from the sort of greyish version she has now. Link http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1718
But the blond hair was definitely dyed also: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1717

Her hairstyle in general seems very different now. In my opinion she should go back to cutting it how she did when she started working at COD - what she has now looks really weird to me. But that's really just my personlal taste.
The colour she has now might well be her natural one, since it's like neither of those she had when dying it.

Edit: AHHH, K1dmoor was faster    :-(

lot_jockey

• Emoticontraindication

I want to point out that we do not know that Marten and Delilah actually had sex, which seems to be many people's assumption. All we know is that they made out, took their clothes off, and slept in the same bed. These actions mean that a lot of different possibilities are still on the table...

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.

I want to point out that we do not know that Marten and Delilah actually had sex, which seems to be many people's assumption. All we know is that they made out, took their clothes off, and slept in the same bed. These actions mean that a lot of different possibilities are still on the table...
That's been my thought all week. Who puts clothes on to go to bed after one night stand sex?
Quis pater tibi est?

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Someone in a webcomic that can't do explicit nudity due to Google Ads restrictions?
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

Still, it's pretty intimate. 

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

That's been my thought all week. Who puts clothes on to go to bed after one night stand sex?
Whatever. It does not really matter, as long as they both consented to whatever happened.

Smallest

• Curry sauce

Someone in a webcomic that can't do explicit nudity due to Google Ads restrictions?

But for that there could just be convenient blankets and cats and whatnot.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Possibly just an art-continuity issue, but in this strip, Cosette has blue-green eyes. Maybe-Cosette in the latest strips has brown eyes.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

Possibly just an art-continuity issue, but in this strip, Cosette has blue-green eyes. Maybe-Cosette in the latest strips has brown eyes.

I wouldn't look too much into that, it might be something as simple as contact lenses...

Schwungrad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

People who don't like to sleep naked, regardless of their recent sexual activity?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up