THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 06:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Miscellaneous TV Thread  (Read 20287 times)

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
The Miscellaneous TV Thread
« on: 31 Jan 2014, 09:26 »

Alright, I know that we've all got them. The shows that you watch that are just not important enough to have their own thread.

So, what are they? What are the "regulars" on your TV?

I've gone from watching a few things every so often to having a DVR that is a bit out of hand. Monday is 2 Broke Girls, HIMYM and The Voice. Tuesday is NCIS, Face Off, The Biggest Loser and New Girl. Sometimes The Voice results too. Tuesday is a busy night for my cable box! Wednesday is reserved solely for SVU. (American Horror Story is not watched when it's on but reserved for marathons post-season) Thursday and Friday are boring TV-wise. Sometimes Glee.

Monday through Friday at 7pm, I DVR Jeopardy. God help you if you delete Jeopardy.

When primetime shows are on hiatus, I generally stick to reruns of Modern Family and cartoons. (Bob's Burgers, The Simpsons, American Dad, Family Guy)

I watch too much damn TV.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
Re: The Miscellaneous TV Thread
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2014, 10:01 »

My DVR records a lot of stuff I end up not watching. I have it set to record Jeopardy every day at 3:30, but I never actually get around to watching it. My shameful guilt is that I watch the reality-show crap on the Food Network. Restaurant Impossible, Chopped, Guy's Grocery Games, that stuff.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2014, 10:27 »

I have turned into a regular on-demand viewer of "Big Bang Theory" and "Two and a Half Men", I tried watching "2 Broke Girls" but the current storyline is a bit annoying for my tastes.

I can't help it but I have watched just about every episode of "Mythbusters" since the show started, and it is just about the only show that I watch the night it airs. It's one of those shows that manages to balance fun with science and the five hosts have great chemistry and are a rare case of hosts who are the real deal professionals.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2014, 11:54 »

Because I don't have a TV, I basically watch stuff when it's available on ITV player, iPlayer or Demand 5 (Channel 4 has yet to broadcast anything I can even remotely consider worth watching).

I will always watch Doctor Who, Call the Midwife, Waterloo Road, Doc Martin and Downton Abbey when they are on. Fortunately, they rarely overlap more than two at a time!

When I've got time off, like during a holiday week or a "reading week" like this one, where I've been set exactly 0 reading to do, I'll watch British crime dramas - things like The Bletchley Circle, Midsomer Murders, any Agatha Christie, Morse, Blue Murder, Scott and Bailey etc. For sheer mindless decompressing or entertainment while tackling mammoth piles of washing up I watch American crime dramas like NCIS or CSI.

For someone without a TV I guess I watch quite a lot of it, but it's the best way I've found of getting myself to cook, wash up or clean - it occupies my mind while I get on with various chores.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2014, 13:52 »

Barmy, you should watch Utopia on 4OD, one of the best bits of contemporary British drama in a very long time.

I too only watch through iPlayer and 4OD. Waiting for Dr Who, am watching Musketeers, Big Bang Theory although it's pretty much jumped the shark, Uncle, Buzzcocks, HIGNFY, Mock The Week and the occaisional Graham Norton depending on the guests.

Also occasionally run through whole series on Quick-Stream.me if I'm unemployed or my wife is away for work. Game of Thrones, House of Cards and Orange is the New Black were pretty good this way.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2014, 19:30 »

The shows I watch each week in no particular order are Community, the Michael J Fox Show, Parks and Rec, Sleepy Hollow, Elementary, Sherlock, Almost Human, At Midnight, Bob's Burgers, American Dad, Supernatural, Rick and Morty, and Archer
« Last Edit: 01 Feb 2014, 10:37 by Blue Kitty »

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #6 on: 02 Feb 2014, 21:15 »

Let's see. NCIS, NCIS LA, Hawaii 5-0, Big Bang Theory, Game of Thrones, Sherlock, Doctor Who and Burn Notice were the series I keep up with regularly. Though I only just got around to watching the last season of Burn Notice this weekend, so that's over now. I watch most of these online these days.

When I do browse cable, which is maybe 2 or 3 times a week at most, I'll almost always stop if Top Gear, Chopped, KItchen Nightmares/Restaurant Impossible are on. Sometimes home improvement stuff on HGTV, various stuff on Military channel, and I'll sample many of the reality shows, but don't watch any regularly except for a time a while back when I watched a lot of Hoarders for how fascinating that mindset is. I think that mostly sums up what I watch these days.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #7 on: 03 Feb 2014, 03:38 »

I am obsessed with a handful of shit competitive reality shows, namely The Apprentice (UK) and Coach Trip. I tend to watch the episodes on YouTube/4OD in marathons with my friend Thom while talking about which competitors are idiots, which ones we'd sleep with and which ones should win. It's an appalling waste of time and I don't regret a second of it.

By myself, I usually watch stuff on Netflix. I have a Netflix account solely because It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, my favourite TV show, isn't available on Region Two DVD. But I also watch Arrested Development and The League on there as well as whatever other shit I find - I discovered Louis CK, now my favourite comedian, through Netflix.

As far as actual TV, I watch less these days because I have more of a social life but I often watch Channel 4's fucked-up documentaries like Secrets Of The Living Dolls or Sex Box while texting my current fling about it. Channel 4 really does love its blunt documentary titles. THE BOY WHOSE PENIS FELL OFF. THE MAN WHO HAD SEX WITH AN AIRING CUPBOARD. THE WOMAN WITH THE GLASS VAGINA etc.

I tend to fall asleep watching Family Guy on BBC3 at about elevenish. I hate Family Guy. Even though it sometimes makes me laugh, I generally hate watching it. I have no idea why I still watch it. I guess because I'm sick of everything I have on DVD. I much prefer American Dad, but I know that if I get to American Dad on BBC3, usually at quarter to midnight, I'm up too late and the TV has to go off.

I also watch Will and Grace in the morning, a show so terrible and dated that it makes me angry. My TV is smart enough that if you book something to watch it will actually turn itself on to change the channel to it, and so I do that most mornings because I hate Will and Grace so much that it forces me to get out of bed and leave the house for work to get away from it.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #8 on: 06 Feb 2014, 05:03 »

Ugh, so the BBC went there with the stupid love triangle. WHY can we not just have one storyline where a woman is getting married to another woman and she isn't constantly being tempted by the hot man who she obviously is secretly mad about?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #9 on: 06 Feb 2014, 07:59 »

Yep, I watched that happen and knew it'd piss you off.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #10 on: 06 Feb 2014, 08:02 »

WHY can we not just have one storyline where a woman is getting married to another woman and she isn't constantly being tempted by the hot man who she obviously is secretly mad about?
'cause then there wouldn't be drama to interest the lowest common denominators?  :mrgreen:
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #11 on: 06 Feb 2014, 08:35 »

Why is it that straight couples getting married and having normal relationships is enough drama but gay couples have to have some kind of weird "is she really gay?" dynamic before it is acceptable on TV? Heather Peace is one of my favourite actresses but I was really disappointed by that episode.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #12 on: 06 Feb 2014, 08:55 »

I can't think of a drama TV show centered around a "normal" straight couple.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #13 on: 06 Feb 2014, 10:08 »

Oh sure there's always drama, but it's pretty rare that the drama is that one of the couple is secretly pining for a member of the same gender despite considering themselves straight. Even if the character is bisexual (it's a bit ambiguous; she has a daughter and says she did love the father at the time, but since then has only been interested in women), it is irritating that they've made it look like she just can't resist how sexy the male teacher is. Dammit, I wanted to see an on-screen gay couple getting married, that's all!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #14 on: 01 Mar 2014, 00:43 »

I'm currently binging on old Daria episodes.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 Mar 2014, 06:40 »

i've beer rather enjoying black sails. though i think it tries a bit too hard to be game of thrones.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 01 Mar 2014, 12:09 »

I'm currently binging on old Daria episodes.

I keep looking for the DVD's down here in Kiwiland - so far, nada.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #17 on: 02 Mar 2014, 23:13 »

Are the streaming services also region-restricted?

EDIT: It looks like Amazon Global ships to New Zealand, and you must have multi-region players.
« Last Edit: 02 Mar 2014, 23:34 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Wervelf

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #18 on: 07 Mar 2014, 23:53 »

Regulars on my TV are Big bang theory, Hannibal, Suits i pretty much watch anything that comes on provided i have time

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #19 on: 09 Mar 2014, 09:39 »

I'm really enjoying USA's new show Sirens.

TheCollyWolly

• Larger than most fish
  • pressganged into service on a gnome submarine
« Reply #20 on: 10 Mar 2014, 22:21 »

I'm not saying House of Cards made my head explode and is my favorite show in the whole world, but oh yeah wait that's exactly what I'm saying and if you have Netflix you need to go watch it.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #21 on: 13 Mar 2014, 09:34 »

Currently rewatching all of Archer - and True Detective is pretty awesome.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #22 on: 13 Mar 2014, 10:38 »

true detective was completely awesome. matt mcconaughey is a scary motherfucker.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #23 on: 13 Mar 2014, 11:24 »

Thank goodness, Nikki from Waterloo Road ends up jacking in the job and moving to Germany with her ex-now-current-fiancee.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #24 on: 21 Mar 2014, 10:48 »

I'll watch British crime dramas

Yes please!

Currently at home sick with stomach badness, and been watching Wallander (the british one).  I have learned 3 things:

- I kind of want to be Kenneth Branagh when I grow up
- I want to go to Sweden (4am Sunshine!  Beautiful fields!  The Sea!)
- I want to smack some sense into Wallander.  Very annoying person sometimes.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #25 on: 01 Apr 2014, 17:11 »

How I Met Your Mother came to an end last night and from what I hear it was pretty disappointing

lepetitfromage

« Reply #26 on: 01 Apr 2014, 17:15 »

I've been an avid fan for years and it didn't bother me as much as it seems to have bothered The Internet. I mean....yeah, definitely not what I was anticipating nor what I had hoped for, but it did make sense. Fucking Ted.  :facepalm:

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #27 on: 01 Apr 2014, 19:31 »

i've been working my way through the x-files over the course of the past few months. i'd totally forgotten how much fun that show was, in all it's 90s glory.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #28 on: 02 Apr 2014, 18:15 »

I've been an avid fan for years and it didn't bother me as much as it seems to have bothered The Internet. I mean....yeah, definitely not what I was anticipating nor what I had hoped for, but it did make sense. Fucking Ted.  :facepalm:

Here's a nice write up on the finale

But it also makes people see Ted in a new light
(click to show/hide)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #29 on: 03 Apr 2014, 04:57 »

Well, that certainly makes me glad I didn't invest in the show at all.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #30 on: 03 Apr 2014, 06:12 »

Well, that certainly makes me glad I didn't invest in the show at all.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #31 on: 03 Apr 2014, 07:58 »

Ok, that Ted thing is blowing my mind right now. It's making me question so many things! The entire dynamic of Barney and Ted's relationship has changed for me. And I'm thinking WAY too far into this.

I can see where the author of the write up is coming from, but someone posted something really interesting on a commentary I read yesterday:

"It wasn't why they didn't belong together, it was why they didn't belong together at the time. Ted always needed to have kids, and Robin always needed to have a career. Neither one of them would have been happy if either one of them settled. Ted got his kids, and Robin got the career she always wanted. Neither one had any "what ifs" going into the relationship."

I'm really torn about how I feel about this. Either way, I'm saddened by the fact that there was significant character development that seems to have been thrown out the window. I understand that they filmed the part with the kids earlier, but I wish they had filmed multiple endings. They spent so much time convincing us all that Ted and Robin weren't meant to be together and then stuck them together anyway.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #32 on: 03 Apr 2014, 08:00 »

It reminds me of the last episode of Friends. Just outright laziness disregarding years of story progression.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #33 on: 03 Apr 2014, 18:18 »

I just watched Defiance, mostly out of boredom, and it's pretty ok. A pretty short season but I enjoy the sci-fi elements

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #34 on: 08 Apr 2014, 14:05 »

Friends was very...tie this up with a nice bow kind of thing. Although I felt like 4 of those guys got what they wanted ('finally'), but Phebe and Joey are left just being themselves, which is way more normal than...pretty much everything else that happened. At least Fraiser ended somewhat openly.

Just started watching Star Trek again, started with Voyager. I then realised I should have at least started with Next Gen, worked through DS9 then gone on to Voyager but...I'm too invested in it now. It's a bloody good show.

Edit: 1000th post, most 90s post. Cool.
« Last Edit: 08 Apr 2014, 16:06 by Lupercal »

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #35 on: 11 Apr 2014, 06:43 »

I just watched Defiance, mostly out of boredom, and it's pretty ok. A pretty short season but I enjoy the sci-fi elements

I thoroughly enjoyed the first season.  So much so that I picked up the game for my 360 in hopes of paying along with season 2.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #36 on: 11 Apr 2014, 07:04 »

Friends was very...tie this up with a nice bow kind of thing. Although I felt like 4 of those guys got what they wanted ('finally'), but Phebe and Joey are left just being themselves, which is way more normal than...pretty much everything else that happened. At least Fraiser ended somewhat openly.

Just started watching Star Trek again, started with Voyager. I then realised I should have at least started with Next Gen, worked through DS9 then gone on to Voyager but...I'm too invested in it now. It's a bloody good show.

Edit: 1000th post, most 90s post. Cool.

Isn't Voyager just like, three basic plots? 'Hey, a way home! ...Nope we're even further away.' 'Maybe this alien race will help us! ...Nope, they're evil.' And there's a third one I can't remember.

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #37 on: 20 Apr 2014, 15:02 »

Only 6 episodes into Season 2 and there have been two instances of coming across a weird space mist that disrupts the ship and causes mayhem until they can all figure a way out of it.

One thing I am noticing is how the crew really pick and choose who they help. So Neelix, a guy who just happened to be floating around in a load of space debris, is allowed to be a part of the crew of Voyager. However, an episode where crew members are captured and forced into manual labour results in just those crew members being rescued at the end of the episode. The other humanoids in the labour camp are apparently left to be slaves/organ donors (and I'd assume the prime directive is pretty much broken once alien races capture crew members).

The third one might be a filler holodeck episode? Janeway loves her some Dickensian 'novel' programmes.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #38 on: 20 Apr 2014, 17:05 »

that's the third plot: janeway lets people die because prime directive

henri bemis

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Don't F with my glasses
« Reply #39 on: 20 Apr 2014, 19:56 »

It could/should have been actual, interesting conflict between Starfleet and the Maquis.  They really missed some good plotlines with that.

But I'll also take any episodes that focus on the Doctor.  And I really liked 7 of 9, even though the 'watch this show because boobs' part of her character is insultingly transparent.  I, uh... did tear up a bit at the end of "Drone."

I'll watch just about any cooking competition show I can - including the HORRIBLE Rachel v. Guy Celebrity Cook-off, and every variation of "Gordon Ramsay Yells At Americans Because That's What We Like."

As for things that aren't cheesy reality shows:  Scandal, Luther, Revolution (I like the second season much better), Defiance (I bought the game, too - should really pick it up again), Bob's Burger's, Supernatural, Sleepy Hollow, Key & Peele.  And I've been re-watching early seasons of Angel.

We don't have cable, just Netflix and Hulu+, but I wish Jeopardy was available on one of them because I would watch the shit out of it.  As though I don't watch too much TV already <_<.
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2014, 20:31 by henri bemis »

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #40 on: 20 Apr 2014, 21:45 »

personally, what i always thought they should have done with voyager is really commit to the idea of a 70+ year home. like,  don't even bother teasing with the 'will voyager make it home?' plots & fake wormholes & such.

instead, make them take the whole 70 years, and jump foreward a decade or so with each new season. have the characters get older, the ship its self change, kids get born, grow up, eventually take over. it could have been something really different.

henri bemis

« Reply #41 on: 20 Apr 2014, 22:03 »

I'd never thought about it like that, but that would be so good.  Damn.

eta: by the fricking gods, how could I forget Xena?  Everyone should watch Xena.
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2014, 00:28 by henri bemis »

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #42 on: 21 Apr 2014, 00:05 »

True Detective. I'm watching True Detective.

Is Louisiana really like that?

Brilliant show, though. Like it loads. This and Broadchurch pretty much the best thing so far.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #43 on: 21 Apr 2014, 06:59 »

Tried out Doc Martin on netflix yesterday.  Kind of like.

The actress who plays the schoolteacher is beautiful.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #44 on: 21 Apr 2014, 10:48 »

I love Doc Martin!

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #45 on: 21 Apr 2014, 11:21 »

The only current shows I can think of that I follow weekly on regular TV or record (excluding RASSLIN') are Bates Motel and Modern Family. I can't name everything I'm currently watching on Netflix but Dead Like Me and Mythbusters are the main two. Now it's on Netflix I keep meaning to try watching Grimm again, partially because I know one of the extras in it.

henri bemis

« Reply #46 on: 21 Apr 2014, 11:44 »

Oooh, I forgot about Grimm.  I've been following the latest season, but didn't really watch the first two.  If it's on Netflix now, I'll probably end up watching it very soon.  It's cheesy as hell, but I kind of love it.  Monroe needs a spinoff, and Sasha Roiz is heavenly.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #47 on: 21 Apr 2014, 15:54 »

Finished with True Detective. A+, recommend.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #48 on: 21 Apr 2014, 17:29 »

Oh man yes, what a great show! Can't wait for the next season, I wonder what that'll be about. It has a lot to live up to, that's for sure.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #49 on: 21 Apr 2014, 19:04 »

Matthew McConaughey is a scary motherfucker.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up