Butts
- 7 (9.5%)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
- 2 (2.7%)
Jeph surprises us
- 11 (14.9%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2631-2635 (Feb 03 - 07 2014) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 42409 times)

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

I don't recall such severe drowsification from benadryl. It was easier to get to sleep, to be sure.
Everybody's biology is different. For example, for some weird reason, alcohol actually inhibits sleep for me. Has most of the other effects, but seriously, past the fifth pint I'm not sleeping 'til tomorrow night.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Nuclear_Nipple_Tester

• Not quite a lurker
  • yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssss

^  I drink coffee to calm down when angry.    Not sure why.   Someone speculated it isn't the coffee so much as the ritual of making it that makes me relax.
---

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Your mileage may vary. Benadryl doesn't exactly put me to sleep, but it does turn me into a zombie for a while. Braaaaiiiinnnnssss....
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

US Benadryl knocks me the heck out. I get loopy and sleepy. Caffeinating me in that condition will render me wide awake and loopy.

I'm 5'11" 260 lb. Most other OTC drugs affect me less than the standard dose, but diphenhydramine is my off button. It just depends on how sensitive you are to a given drug, not necessarily your size.

Rituals are more important than most people realize.

I'd guess in a court of law that Momo would be presented as a witness and the jury would get to decide based on her testimony and cross-examination how credible she seems. There are apparently people in the QCverse that are biased against AIs, so if they were picked for the jury, counsel would have to consider whether they'd want to include her testimony. That said, any competent attorney would check during voir dire whether such a bias exists and ask the judge to exclude that person from the jury for cause.

The presumes a lot about similarities between realiverse and QCverse... we've already seen differences (i.e. Robot Jail, the whole companion/contract thing). I'm curious whether a contracted AI companion could be forced to testify against their human and vice versa... lots of interesting (to me) stuff that Jeph could mine if he ever deemed it important to telling the QC story.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Alcohol disrupts sleep for everyone - it might make you more likely to pass out, but the quality of the sleep is lower because it prevents REM sleep (plus it supresses the production of anti-diuretic hormone, meaning you're more likely to be woken by a full bladder). I've often wondered why it is that people criticise drinking during the day, when it seems to me it'd make more sense to drink on Saturday morning rather than Friday night.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Smallest

• Curry sauce

^  I drink coffee to calm down when angry.    Not sure why.   Someone speculated it isn't the coffee so much as the ritual of making it that makes me relax.

My partner needs stimulants to focus, and it is biological, not a past addiction or anything. It could be something like that for you too, maybe? It could also be that you associate coffee with good things

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Of course, many references and local slang are not understood (or have different meanings) to non-Americans. I had no idea what Benadryl was. We probably have something similar, but with a different brand name. I do not suggest Jeph should think too much about these things (his main audience is probably American), but keep in mind that QC is supposed to be in a different universe. Therefore, all references ought to be alien, but I guess that would not be good either  :-D

EDIT: in today's strip, Momo correctly calls it "antihistamine". This is a term which is understood globally. In QC, they would probably use "Sleepy O's" as brand name  :lol:

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

I used antihistamines for awhile and while they didn't make me sleepy they eventually made my eyes really dry, too dry to wear contacts. Had to stop since my prescriptions so strong that glasses aren't as good. And they have that coke bottle thing going on.

Nuclear_Nipple_Tester

• Not quite a lurker

Of course, many references and local slang are not understood (or have different meanings) to non-Americans. I had no idea what Benadryl was. We probably have something similar, but with a different brand name. I do not suggest Jeph should think too much about these things (his main audience is probably American), but keep in mind that QC is supposed to be in a different universe. Therefore, all references ought to be alien, but I guess that would not be good either  :-D

EDIT: in today's strip, Momo correctly calls it "antihistamine". This is a term which is understood globally. In QC, they would probably use "Sleepy O's" as brand name  :lol:

LOL Antihistamine
No More Sniffles Yay
OHNO PHLEGM   

And so on.   Personally I would buy No More Sniffles YAY brand.    It's less likely to cause hilarious date-related shenanigans than LOL Antihistamine.
---

Schwungrad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Neurochemistry often has seemingly paradox effects. For people with "normal" dopamine levels, Methylphenidate (Ritalin) is a stimulans, similar to Cocaine (both are Dopamine-Reuptake-Inhibitors, among other effects). For people with low dopamine levels (i.e. ADHD) it allows them to calm down and focus. Perhaps there's a similar thing at work for caffeine.

Nuclear_Nipple_Tester

• Not quite a lurker

Neurochemistry often has seemingly paradox effects. For people with "normal" dopamine levels, Methylphenidate (Ritalin) is a stimulans, similar to Cocaine (both are Dopamine-Reuptake-Inhibitors, among other effects). For people with low dopamine levels (i.e. ADHD) it allows them to calm down and focus. Perhaps there's a similar thing at work for caffeine.

You may be on to something -- I do have ADHD.   I was diagnosed when I was much younger and... ...  ... SQUIRREL!     :-o
---

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is used by some doctors to help assist with sleeplessness (it's the "added ingredient" in Tylenol PM and other OTC pain meds that promote sleep).

Topical Benadryl cream probably would have worked better for Marbear, but it might not have been as fast acting.

On the whole, this reminds me of the wedding scene in Sixteen Candles, where the older sister took too many muscle relaxants before the ceremony.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

I don't think Mari-bear's gonna be very happy with herself when she wakes up tomorrow and Momo tells her, or she remembers what happened.

Hilarity and angst ensue.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Fenriswolf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

So some UK "Benadryl One a Day Relief" is best, but Australian "Benadryl Chesty Cough & Nasal Congestion" would be useless, as well as containing pseudoephedrine hydrochloride, a restricted substance in both Australia and the US as it's a common precursor to Methamphetamine. The US version would not be as good as the UK one, but still effective... though possibly with some side effects.
Much to my intense irritation, cold and flu rememdies no longer have pseudoephedrine in them in NZ. As if meth manufacturers can't find alternatives. Grrr. It is my pet hate, because psudoephedrine + vitamin C was my approach to being sick and functioning. Phenylephedrine (replacement) is totally useless. *sulk*
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2014, 19:49 by Fenriswolf »

Smallest

• Curry sauce

I don't think Mari-bear's gonna be very happy with herself when she wakes up tomorrow and Momo tells her, or she remembers what happened.

Hilarity and angst ensue.

And so she get hives again, and takes benadryl again...

brew

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

RE: past comics
These prove for me what I thought about the new comic format: It's liable to have less content per comic. The characters are now often drawn way more close-up (bigger) than before and the font has doubled in size, so Jeph has more or less halved the content by making the single panels larger.

I haven't noticed a difference in content level, but especially ever since the bigger font was used in 2628, it feels way too zoomed-in. I find it disorienting to read. The increase in comic size (starting at 2600) also has something to do with it. It feels better if I zoom out to 75%, but then the text is fuzzy.

I wonder what size monitor, resolution, and browser window size Jeph uses, because I doubt it's similar to mine.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

I don't recall such severe drowsification from benadryl. It was easier to get to sleep, to be sure.

When did we start correlating the D&D Drow to sleep?

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Isn't sleep one of the spell-like abilities they can use (in 3.5 anyway)?

aliensporebomb

• Larger than most fish

chickenpox in my mid twenties.
How on earth did you get it that late?

Late response.  I'm not entirely sure.  I was exposed to it as a kid but never got it.  Then later I met up with an ex-girlfriend years after we broke up (we were friends then) and she brought her kids (she'd married) along when we went to lunch to catch up and the next day I was riddled with disease.  Then her kids got it.  So it was either someone at the restaurant, her kids had it but hadn't shown symptoms or I had it but hadn't shown symptoms.  Since she had it as a kid she didn't bat an eye.

Anyway, it's about the only thing I have in common with Mick Jones from The Clash/Big Audio Dynamite since he also got Chickenpox in his twenties.  I do play guitar but it hasn't amounted to much.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Ah yes, a sleeping date, with tea.
a 'dčanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeňid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Penquin47

My dad is a medical anomaly in having had shingles without ever having chicken pox.  The only thing he can figure out is that his siblings all had it when he was about six months old, so he got exposed then but never developed symptoms.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaangte.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Win, right here. :D
Just another Joe like 46

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!

"Marigold, that is not how you pronounce Dale's name!"

....is what I got on here to say, but Method totally wins this one.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

If they wind up sleeping together on the first date, it will just be sleeping, not a euphemism.   :-D

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

I feel this is appropriate:
(click to show/hide)
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Holy crap I've been sigquoted :parrot:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

I feel this is appropriate:
(click to show/hide)
I'm pretty sure this doesn't make any sense (and I don't have the right font installed), but...
(click to show/hide)

edit -- and Inkscape exported it at the wrong size...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

Well, you managed to make me laugh for a good two minutes straight. You deserve it.
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Smallest

• Curry sauce

I love panel 2 and have been panel 3.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Well, you managed to make me laugh for a good two minutes straight. You deserve it.
Good to hear! And thanks :mrgreen:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I'm pretty sure this doesn't make any sense (and I don't have the right font installed), but...

(Psst: Blambot Casual.)
Just another Joe like 46

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

Yeah, I only have Blambot Pro. Blambot Casual would have been an extra $30.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

I have sometimes joked that energy level is actually an unsigned integer, and thus giving stimulants to those who are already hyperactive causes it to roll over and wrap around to the bottom.
(I doubt this is the actual biological mechanism.)

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

I have to admit that at first I read "energy level" in your post to mean what it does in physics, in which case giving them stimulants while they're already excited would ionize them. It's okay, though, plasmas are fun.  :-D

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

As others noted, different people react to it differently. For instance, if somebody slipped me a benadryl I likely wouldn't even notice.

On my one and only ER trip I got a straight IV of benadryl to stop a reaction and the doc and nurses fully expected me to be KO'd within a couple of minutes. All it did was make me cold enough to start uncontrollably shivering until they stacked heated blankets on me. And even then, all warm and cozy under three blankets with a line of benny in the arm, didn't even feel tired.

*shrugs*
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

According to this http://fonts.by/en/pages/podrobno.php?table=accident_ornamental&id=763 it is free
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

This may lead to their date consisting of sitting together on the couch, with Dale freaking out about how far he may go to make Marigold feel well.

I can imagine hundreds of worse dates scenarios.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Wil and Penelope's for example.

Poor Marigold. She's not the type to take this in stride and then look back and laugh.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

techkid

• Disqualified from the human race for shoving

You have to give Marbear points for persistence, though.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

Poor Marigold. She's not the type to take this in stride and then look back and laugh.

That's my main concern, too. Mind you, these two might enjoy a cozy evening with tea and anime more than a dinner date at a fancy restaurant. Let's wait and see.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

This may lead to their date consisting of sitting together on the couch, with Dale freaking out about how far he may go to make Marigold feel well.

I can imagine hundreds of worse dates scenarios.
Waking up next to someone you like - fully clothed, on a couch - is a really nice feeling.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

judemorrigan

• Balloon animal serial killer

It's a good thing that Dale is the chillest dude ever.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

According to this http://fonts.by/en/pages/podrobno.php?table=accident_ornamental&id=763 it is free
It's not free from Blambot's site, which makes me a bit suspicious of that site...

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

Isn't sleep one of the spell-like abilities they can use (in 3.5 anyway)?

Really ? Makes no sense since they are invulnerable to sleep themselves (just like elves).
Carpe Diem

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Poor Marigold
Poor Dale

Business as usual for Momo I think.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Smallest

• Curry sauce

I am curious if it is intentional that

NO
DATE

has no punctuation. At first I read it as her grabbing him because the idea of no date happening was so heart breaking, but after finishing the comic I think it's that she's saying "NO, DATE!" to his suggestion.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

I think the comma is implied by the large amount of whitespace between "NO" and "DATE".

So let's get on with the
DAAAAAAATE  :popcorn:

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I thought the large gap was to emphasize both words on their own, that a comma wouldn't suffice.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up