THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Сочи 2014 (Winter Olympics Thread)  (Read 47705 times)

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
Re: Сочи 2014 (Winter Olympics Thread)
« Reply #200 on: 22 Feb 2014, 07:39 »

If anyone's prepared, it's proooobably GM.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #201 on: 22 Feb 2014, 07:43 »

True dat.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #202 on: 22 Feb 2014, 07:49 »

Oh fucking hell I hope so <3

I might not have an axe handy but motherfucker I will bag me at least a few frost giants with my M1 Garand.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #203 on: 22 Feb 2014, 08:09 »

Selanne. Why did it have to be Selanne?

And Jokinen, too?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #204 on: 22 Feb 2014, 08:34 »

That was a surprise. May be the 3-0 goal was too much - not much of a contest after that? A bit of paypack from the Vancouver semifinal, when USA made it 5-0 against us in 12 minutes or something.

I guess psychologically playing for bronze was easier for Finland. Yes, the semifinal loss to "kära fiende" was painful. But we win so few medals over all that putting a disappointment from yesterday behind, and getting motivated to play for bronze is perhaps easier for us than what it is for either Team USA or Team Canada.
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2014, 09:26 by Skewbrow »
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Nikolai

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • H-Hello? Is this thing on?
« Reply #205 on: 22 Feb 2014, 10:24 »

whoa whoa whoa, don't forget Pavelski, Kessel, van Riemsdyk as skaters, and Quick, Howard, and what's his tits from the Sabres as net minders. I am proud of the U.S. team even though Canada definitely nailed it. I'm pulling for a Canuckistani gold this year.

What I meant was that my only real allegiance to either team was the players from the Blackhawks.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #206 on: 22 Feb 2014, 13:23 »

So... Ready for Ragnarok today?
GM is ready to Ragnarok and roll!

So Finland beat the USA in ice-hockey? Now that surely must be David beating Goliath...  :-D
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #207 on: 22 Feb 2014, 13:47 »

Yes! It's also a Finnish tradition, so they might not appreciate the Judeo-Christian inference when they can just say "Just like that time we curb checked the Red Army at 100 to 1 casualties, or pretty much every war proceeding."
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #208 on: 22 Feb 2014, 14:53 »

Yes! It's also a Finnish tradition, so they might not appreciate the Judeo-Christian inference when they can just say "Just like that time we curb checked the Red Army at 100 to 1 casualties, or pretty much every war proceeding."
Now that's an exaggeration, but yeah. There was a lot of high-fiving today in these parts.

I don't know how the media in US/Canada saw this tournament, but our bronze was nothing like the biggest upset in the history of the game. The NHL players have been allowed to participate in the olympics since 1998 (Nagano), so this was the fifth time. Medals won in those five tournaments are (we don't know the outcome of tomorrow's final, so I list both alternatives for Canada and Sweden)

Country   Gold   Silver  Bronze   Total

Canada    3/2     1/0        0           3
USA          0       2          0           2
Sweden    2/1     0/1       0           2
Russia       0         1         1          2
Czech Rep. 1        0         1           2
Finland      0         1         3          4

Yeah, the color of our medals could be brighter, but I guess I'm relatively happy with what we can take. Note:
  • No medals to any nation other than the listed six. At this level hockey is not very widespread. Slovakia and Belarus made it into the bronze medal game in 2010 and 2002 respectively, but drew the short straw.
  • At SLC and Vancouver games the final was between USA and Canada. At Nagano and Torino, the final was a European affair. This time we get a mixed final. Variations in rink size may explain this a bit, but not fully. All the games in these five tournaments have had at least one of the refs from NHL.

If you include the earlier olympics, Canada and USSR dominate by a clear margin, followed by Sweden and Czech(oslovakia). USA won in 1980 (Miracle on ice). So admittedly I was very selective in pickiing the recent tournaments :-D
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2014, 15:10 by Skewbrow »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #209 on: 22 Feb 2014, 19:51 »

Which part? Because my rough numbers for the Winter war (1-100 KIA) are on par, I had to research it for work.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #210 on: 22 Feb 2014, 21:04 »

Only three more events to go before the games are done. 3 golds and silvers and two bronzes to be awarded.
Just another Joe like 46

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #211 on: 23 Feb 2014, 04:31 »

Woo - first blood for Canada.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #212 on: 23 Feb 2014, 08:50 »

Congrats to Team Canada! Did anyone else get the impression that they were not really tested in the final game? Either the semifinal was the taxing game for Canadiens, or Team Sweden become very disorganized after Bäckström was booted out? Anyway, the jinx is broken. It is possible for an American team to win olympics on European soil. If only Europeans could win the olympics next time the tournament is in North America  :-D. A similar "jinx" is quite strong in footbal World Cup. IIRC only Brazil has been able to win it on the other side of the pond.

Anyway, hockey has come a long way since the first OG tournament, when Canada outscored its opponents 110-3 (combined score). This time it was only 17-3  :-D. Team USA is also in the upswing with NHL spreading further out (or should I say further South), and possibly more kids getting interested.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #213 on: 23 Feb 2014, 09:35 »

U.S. Olympic Officials: It Wasn't Suits That Hurt Speed Skaters

[...]"If you look at the speedskating results, we weren't the only nation that got smoked by the Netherlands,"[...]

So typical. The dutch win something and immediately they're talking about smoking.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/theedge/2014/02/22/281135203/u-s-olympic-officials-it-wasnt-suits-that-hurt-speed-skaters
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #214 on: 23 Feb 2014, 11:21 »

The final medal count:

RkNationGSBTMPTS%AMA
1Russian Fed. 13119337011.19%
2United States 971228539.49%
3Norway 1151026538.81%
4Canada 1010525558.47%
5Netherlands 87924478.14%
6Germany 86519416.44%
7Austria 48517335.76%
8France 44715275.08%
9Sweden 27615265.08%
10Switzerland 63211263.73%
11China 3429193.05%
12Korea 3328172.71%
13Belarus 5016162.03%
14Czech Republic 2428162.71%
15Poland 4116152.03%
16Slovenia 2248142.71%
17Japan 1438142.71%
18Italy 0268102.71%
19Finland 1315101.69%
20Great Britain 112471.36%
21Latvia 022461.36%
22Australia 021351.02%
23Ukraine 101240.68%
24Slovakia 100130.34%
25Croatia 010120.34%
26Kazakhstan 001110.34%

TM = Total medals (Gold, silver, bronze)
PTS = Point System (10 for gold, 6 for silver, 4 for bronze; sorry for the confusion.)
% All = Percentage of all medals awarded (295 total medals awarded)
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2014, 06:00 by jwhouk »
Just another Joe like 46

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #215 on: 23 Feb 2014, 14:20 »

I think with Canada winning 2 gold in ice hockey and 2 gold in curling, we probably feel like we won everything.

/shrug

What on earth was the referee thinking when Elise Christie was penalised AGAIN? If there were a gold medal for stoicism in the face of incredible unfairness and bad luck, she would win it without question.

Ugh.  Short track has a history of upsetting officials decisions.  I'd hoped they were improving over time, but they can still be crash fests at times, which leaves too much in the hands of judges.

So Finland beat the USA in ice-hockey? Now that surely must be David beating Goliath...  :-D

Now that's an exaggeration, but yeah. There was a lot of high-fiving today in these parts.

I don't know how the media in US/Canada saw this tournament, but our bronze was nothing like the biggest upset in the history of the game. The NHL players have been allowed to participate in the olympics since 1998 (Nagano), so this was the fifth time. Medals won in those five tournaments are (we don't know the outcome of tomorrow's final, so I list both alternatives for Canada and Sweden)

Country   Gold   Silver  Bronze   Total

Canada    3/2     1/0        0           3
USA          0       2          0           2
Sweden    2/1     0/1       0           2
Russia       0         1         1          2
Czech Rep. 1        0         1           2
Finland      0         1         3          4

Yeah, the color of our medals could be brighter, but I guess I'm relatively happy with what we can take. Note:
  • No medals to any nation other than the listed six. At this level hockey is not very widespread. Slovakia and Belarus made it into the bronze medal game in 2010 and 2002 respectively, but drew the short straw.

Yeah, I hardly consider Finland an underdog.  All the top 6 countries are albe to beat each other, imo.  I honestly put Slovakia in that list, but after this olympics, I'm wondering if they just had a golden generation go by or something.

Switzerland isn't far behind, because I'm pretty sure they ARE having a golden generation at the moment.

All that said, I'm baffled as to why only 2 of the 6 big hockey countries play the women's game at the top level.  Are Sweden and Finland (to name 2) just not as progressive with regards to women's sports?

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #216 on: 23 Feb 2014, 17:38 »

Wait what? I got a Tapatalk notification that you someone quoted me, but I never wrote the post you quoted! What happened here, I don't even care about hockey.  :psyduck:
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #217 on: 23 Feb 2014, 20:44 »

I quoted Akima, who quoted your bit about David and Goliath.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #218 on: 23 Feb 2014, 23:38 »

Did anyone else get the impression that they were not really tested in the final game?

Sweden were making Canada work in the first period and I was thinking that at the end of the first period they were likely to come back and run a far better game in the second. But nope, they just didn't seem to want to cash in on their hard work and started fading back.

Looking at the highlights of the women's final, I really wish I has watched that. Can't decide who was more emotional at the end. Canada for winning of USA for not really understanding why they had lost.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #219 on: 24 Feb 2014, 00:54 »

I quoted Akima, who quoted your bit about David and Goliath.
I quoted Metope about Ragnarok. I'm entirely to blame for the David & Goliath thing.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #220 on: 24 Feb 2014, 02:53 »

Wait what? I got a Tapatalk notification that you someone quoted me, but I never wrote the post you quoted! What happened here, I don't even care about hockey.  :psyduck:

Oops.  ???

True quote from one of Canada's most popular homegrown bands:

You said you didn't give a f__ about hockey
And I never saw someone say THAT before...

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #221 on: 24 Feb 2014, 04:51 »

You said you didn't give a fuck about hockey
And I never saw someone say THAT before...
Curious...is that line a positive (as in the person is unique) or negative (as in the person doesn't care about hockey and is therefore unworthy)?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #222 on: 24 Feb 2014, 05:09 »

neutral/surprise I guess.

If there's a goal that everyone remembers
It was back in old seventy two
We all squeezed the stick and we all pulled the trigger
And all I remember is sitting beside you

You said you didn't give a fuck about hockey
And I never saw someone say that before
You held my hand and we walked home the long way
You were loosening my grip on Bobby Orr

In the lore of Canadian hockey, nothing is more important than 1972.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #223 on: 24 Feb 2014, 06:53 »

All that said, I'm baffled as to why only 2 of the 6 big hockey countries play the women's game at the top level.  Are Sweden and Finland (to name 2) just not as progressive with regards to women's sports?
I like to think that we both are very much ok with women's sports. In the 90s it was mostly about us being behind. At the time at women's WCs the final was usually between Western Canada and Eastern Canada. Then USA started catching up. But women's hockey here just hasn't really caught on. I can think of the following reasons.

1) Women who want to play a team game on skates often pick ringette here. That is another game originating from Canada (and played only by women). Much like hockey: same rink, same size goals. Only the sticks don't have blades, and instead of a puck they use a rubber ring that players control by putting the end of the stick through the loop. I think that over here it is easier for interested girls to find a ringette club as opposed to a hockey club. I don't know if it is the same thing in Sweden?

2) A popular alternative to hockey in both Sweden and Finland (also Czech republic and Switzerland) is floorball. The basic idea of the game is very similar to hockey, or may be street hockey :-). Except that as the players run (so move slower than on skates), and shoot that hollow ball instead of a puck, they need no padding. The rules are also limiting bodily contact quite severely. So it is a lot cheaper as a hobby than hockey. I play myself (for exercise only) with a group of local thugs gentlemen in the 40+ age bracket. The pleasures of hockey (sans body checks) with reduced risk of injury, and only needing to buy a stick and shoes fit for indoor arenas. I really wish this game would catch on in North America. The Swedes have been dominating the sport long enough, leaving us in the role of a spoilsport with an occasional upset. Among Finnish women I think it is safe to say that floorball is more popular than either ringette or hockey. Don't know if it is for the listed reasons or not? Those reasons do explain that floorball is played in phys.ed. classes in schools everywhere, but hockey is so-so (boys probably prefer hockey - weather permitting).

« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2014, 10:01 by Skewbrow »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #224 on: 24 Feb 2014, 07:09 »

The Russian Federation had applied to have Bandy included for these games, but it was turned down by the IOC. I think that's a game the women are more prone to play in the former Soviet republics, but I could be wrong.
Just another Joe like 46

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #225 on: 24 Feb 2014, 08:55 »

One of the inventors of Ringette was from my hometown.  It's definitely played over here, but I suspect it's on the decline as girls switch from Ringette to hockey.

Floorball sounds a lot like floor hockey, which is played a lot over here, recreationally.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #226 on: 24 Feb 2014, 09:54 »

The Russian Federation had applied to have Bandy included for these games, but it was turned down by the IOC. I think that's a game the women are more prone to play in the former Soviet republics, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for this bit. I was actually half expecting Russians to try to make Bandy a exhibition demonstration sport for Sochi games, but didn't know about it. Bandy is like field hockey on skates. It is an old game, but as it needs natural ice (me thinks?), it is destined not to spread from the North. My Dad told me that when he was a kid (in the 40s) all the boys played bandy, and hockey was unheard of. If memory serves the first Swedish team participating in hockey WCs was a bunch of established bandy stars, who were willing to try hockey. As an olympic sport it would be about as predictable as women's hockey. You can bet that the final would have been Sweden vs. Russia with Kazakhstan, Finland and Norway fighting for the bronze. I haven't heard of women playing bandy in Finland. May be in Russia or Sweden?
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2014, 21:14 by Skewbrow »

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #227 on: 24 Feb 2014, 12:56 »

Floorball sounds like field hockey.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #228 on: 24 Feb 2014, 16:45 »

There is no such thing as "demonstration sports" in the Olympics anymore. The IOC didn't want the headache of trying to figure out after the fact if the sport's medal were "official" or not, if the sport/discipline became part of the Olympic program.

Floorball is like field hockey, except indoors. It's easier to play, but not as widespread a game as ice or field hockey.
Just another Joe like 46

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #229 on: 24 Feb 2014, 19:46 »

Floorball sounds a lot like floor hockey, which is played a lot over here, recreationally.

Floor hockey is already an Olympic sport (if you count the Special Olympics).

Don't forget there's Paralympic sledge hockey to look forward to next month!

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #230 on: 14 Mar 2014, 19:02 »

USA beat Canada in Paralympic sledge hockey semi-finals Thursday.  Suck on that paraplegic Canadians!

Canada will play Norway for the bronze medal.  USA will play Russia for gold.  Both games are on Saturday.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up