THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WoWCrack  (Read 63699 times)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
Re: WoWCrack
« Reply #150 on: 16 Sep 2016, 10:49 »

The mining thing is useful.  Then again, my gathering alt was a hunter, so if there was a mob there, I just sent fluffy to deal with it (I did the same with my dk before she ditched mining for engineering).
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #151 on: 16 Sep 2016, 12:49 »

Why are enemies called mobs?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TheEvilDog

« Reply #152 on: 16 Sep 2016, 12:57 »

Why are enemies called mobs?

"The term "mob" is short for "mobile," which was used by Richard Bartle for objects that were self-mobile in MUD1. The term as it exists in MMORPGs is derived from the MUD usage. (Source code in DikuMUD uses the term "mob" to refer to a generic NPC; DikuMUD was a heavy influence on EverQuest.) The term is properly an abbreviation rather than an acronym, but backronyms for "MOB" such as "monster or beast," "mere ordinary beast" and "mean old bastard" have also been coined."

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #153 on: 16 Sep 2016, 13:02 »

Oh, so it's mob with a long o?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #154 on: 16 Sep 2016, 16:51 »

No, everyone I know pronounces it the regular way.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

TheEvilDog

« Reply #155 on: 16 Sep 2016, 17:54 »

Basically the word you would use for a large unruly crowd or slang for the mafia. And I think there isn't too much more we can say about that without repeating ourselves.

Just finished the majority of the storyline in Stormheim, save the dungeon, with my Warrior and honestly, I love the way the whole region is like a love letter to Wrath. You have an area that is like the brighter and warmer regions of Northrend with the same subtle fear of something looming over you. Other regions you do feel that the Legion is right in front of you and its coming for you, but Stormheim has a subtle feel of the Legion's presence, they're in the background and pulling the strings.
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2016, 05:51 by TheEvilDog »

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #156 on: 16 Sep 2016, 19:33 »

Well it's short for mobile, so I wasn't sure.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #157 on: 16 Sep 2016, 22:20 »

I went to Stormheim first. I have a great love of the Norse stories, and I loved all the references to it in Wrath, and the Vrykul race. So I was amazingly excited that they returned. I'm especially excited that they did more with the Kvaldir, the even more evil aquatic version of them. Wrath had a story thread about them that was really interested... then it just stopped and didn't go anywhere. Everywhere else it was the Vrykul and Valkir, but past the Borean Tundra there really wasn't anything more about the Kvaldir until now.

If only we could have a playable Vrykul race...

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #158 on: 17 Sep 2016, 04:01 »

Nemo, after WotLK, I really really wanted a vrykul PC. I think one of my favorite parts was the area where you would get turned into one and then everyone would ride the smallest mounts they had because it looked so silly. Can't remember the zone off the top of my head.

Well it's short for mobile, so I wasn't sure.

Honestly I didn't know that, I just took it as the unruly crowd meaning. And I've been playing WoW for well over 10 years.  :-)
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

TheEvilDog

« Reply #159 on: 17 Sep 2016, 07:41 »

Add me to those who wanted a Vrykul playable race (AND HUMANS DON'T COUNT!). Lines, I think you're thinking of the Storm Peaks, where you could do a daily disguised as a female Vrykul.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #160 on: 17 Sep 2016, 07:42 »

Nemo, after WotLK, I really really wanted a vrykul PC. I think one of my favorite parts was the area where you would get turned into one and then everyone would ride the smallest mounts they had because it looked so silly. Can't remember the zone off the top of my head.

They were quests in the Storm Peaks, where you got to hang out with some friendly(-ish) Vrykul. Some of my favorite quests. :)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #161 on: 17 Sep 2016, 09:18 »

I just figured out that all the bonus areas disappear after you reach level cap, which sucks because now you cannot get those order hall resourced.  I am no where near starting the world quests (which I hear gives a ton of resources).  I still have to do Suramar and Val'Sharah (currently doing it). Awe well.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

TheEvilDog

« Reply #162 on: 17 Sep 2016, 10:57 »

I just figured out that all the bonus areas disappear after you reach level cap, which sucks because now you cannot get those order hall resourced.  I am no where near starting the world quests (which I hear gives a ton of resources).  I still have to do Suramar and Val'Sharah (currently doing it). Awe well.
No you can still do them and you can still get the resources. You just don't get 40k experience.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #163 on: 17 Sep 2016, 11:58 »

Then I must be bugged.  :cry:
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #164 on: 18 Sep 2016, 01:12 »

You people really need to stop making me want to pick up WoW again.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #165 on: 18 Sep 2016, 06:32 »

Do it! Do it! Do it!

People have said it's a much better expansion than Pandaria or Warlords.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #166 on: 18 Sep 2016, 07:32 »

It captures the overwhelming sense of dread that seeped from Wrath and Cataclysm and refined the gimmicks of Warlords to a point where its more rewarding without the constant going back to base (the phone app really helps). Just the overall feel of the expansion is that Blizzard has taken the best elements from previous expansions and said to players "Do things your way!"

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #167 on: 18 Sep 2016, 08:03 »

Do it! Do it! Do it!

Meh, if you're right, us holy pallies got stuck in melee in the last few expansions.  I'll stick with private BC or LK servers if I get sucked in again.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

TheEvilDog

« Reply #168 on: 18 Sep 2016, 17:29 »

Do it! Do it! Do it!

Meh, if you're right, us holy pallies got stuck in melee in the last few expansions.  I'll stick with private BC or LK servers if I get sucked in again.

The designers have said they wanted all Paladins to be frontline fighters and healers, rather than just standing in the back like the cloth classes. So unfortunately, the artefact for the Holy Paladins has a two handed hammer. And I can see where they are coming from - Paladins wear plate, they should be mixing it up in combat and not sitting at a safe distance.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #169 on: 14 Nov 2017, 08:10 »

Following Blizzcon last week and the reveal of the next expansion, I am sorely tempted to renew my subscription to the game. Anyone else still playing?

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #170 on: 14 Nov 2017, 09:13 »

I still get on daily for a few hours.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #171 on: 15 Nov 2017, 02:47 »

No, I have cancelled my sub.

... Again.  :roll:

I don't plan to resubscribe for the next expansion, but I said that last time. And the time before.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #172 on: 15 Nov 2017, 06:32 »

I'm subscribed still, and occasionally get on and play. I want to play more. I still have yet to do any of the Suramar quests and I have a wide variety of characters I want to get to max level all along the range. It's just that my game time is more limited than ever of late and there are so many other games competing for my time. Some of which are brand new or were having limited time events I was trying to accomplish.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #173 on: 26 Nov 2017, 18:45 »

Bit of news about patch 7.3.5 if anyone is interested.

All pre-Legion zones are being redesigned to be similar to the Legion, with each region scaling to the player levelling. They will resemble something like this:
- Starter zones will be up to level 10
- Classic zones will be level 10-60
- Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King zones will be 60-80
- Cataclysm and Mists zones will be 80-90

In the case of the latter half, the expansions will be a choice. Don't like Burning Crusade? That's okay, you can play Wrath. Or vice versa. Or a mix. This also might mean that the old raids and dungeons will also scale up, so better make sure you have those achievements if you haven't got them yet.

The patch should be released in early to mid December.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #174 on: 30 Jan 2018, 18:53 »

Some fun speculation on B4A based on prophecies from Legion:

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #175 on: 15 Aug 2018, 01:47 »

So... any news from the WoW expansion? What's to like/dislike?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

TheEvilDog

« Reply #176 on: 15 Aug 2018, 04:15 »

From the Alliance side, I'm really liking Kul Tiras. Got a nice Wrath feel to it.

- So far, the new monsters are nice and the new skins for the old ones make them look better.
- Questing feels like Blizzard has finally gotten into a smooth transition between areas; the quest giver is usually near where the quest is, rather than you having to trek halfway across the region.
- You have a new mode of fast travel in addition to portals and gryphons; you can now use ferries, just need to get a license, which is one of the first things you do when the expansion starts proper.
- Haven't unlocked any of the allied races yet, but from the looks of it, the Kul Tiran humans are going to be on the hefty side (think Circus Strongman).
- The follower missions from Legion and Warlords are back. That said, I think Blizzard have reduced the cost of missions but have also reduced the resources and confined them to treasure chests.
- Armour and weapons look good, and the Heart of Azeroth item has really made things interesting (You only ever get 3 types of armour that can be used with the Heart; helmet, chest and shoulders, but when you get them, you really notice the difference between them and the "ordinary" equivalents.
- Stat squash was a bit of a pain, but in another way, what you get really has noticeable effects. It went into the expansion with 25,100 health on my warrior. At 114, he's got twice that, including 2 Heart of Azeroth items.

That said, the fact that you have to reach exalted with the respective faction in order to unlock them as an allied race, is something of a pain.
And there are quite a lot of cutscenes, not a bad thing, but they come up quite a lot and without warning.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #177 on: 15 Aug 2018, 22:16 »

The really bad part is that the 6 allied races currently in the game are all Legion races. So if you want to unlock them and aren't at Exalted yet, you have to go back and do the old content. It's caused a fair bit of back and forth. People who played regularly don't see it as a big deal because they already hit Exalted or near to it. So it was a trivial or non-existent issue to get the races unlocked. People who took a break and missed the end of Legion though... If they want to play the races that were touted as a Battle for Azeroth feature have to go back and spend a lot of time grinding for rep in old content, instead of spending their time playing the new expansion. It's worse for people who skilled Legion and level boosted a character to 110.

The BfA Allied races, the Kul Tirans and Zandalari trolls don't appear to be available yet in game. So even if you hit exalted with them, I don't think you can play them yet?

TheEvilDog

« Reply #178 on: 16 Aug 2018, 00:47 »

Yeah, that is the major point of frustration now. Honestly, I would have thought Blizzard would have given some thought to raising reputation, especially for people who boosted or people who took a break, but it seems they want people to go back and forth between expansions.

Kul Tiras Humans and their Troll counterparts are, according to Blizzard, "coming later in the expansion". So I presume, their respective recruitment will be tied to the first major raid addition to the expansion. Which could be a misstep for Blizzard.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #179 on: 16 Aug 2018, 05:00 »

Yeah, that is the major point of frustration now. Honestly, I would have thought Blizzard would have given some thought to raising reputation, especially for people who boosted or people who took a break, but it seems they want people to go back and forth between expansions.

I am certain that they gave it quite a fair bit of thought. Ever since the introduction of achievement points, enticing or even coercing players to go back to old content has been a firm part of their business model. I wouldn't be surprised if they are deliberately targeting players who quit each expansion half-way through and pick the game up again at the start of each new one.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #180 on: 16 Aug 2018, 05:36 »

No doubt about that, but the fact is it also feels like Blizzard is punishing players who have quit mid expansion. Especially because the reputation gains in Legion are, well, not consistent. Most quests reward something like 250 or so rep, while in Legion, the four you were trying to recruit for BfA were something 75-150.

Normally, you might be able to grind rep and get to Exalted with a faction in two weeks or so, even on a slow grind. With the gains in Legion, you're looking at nearly a month to raise one allied race. So yeah, it can feel like Blizzard are punishing those who are coming back.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #181 on: 16 Aug 2018, 07:11 »

I'm glad I have a human character, grinding rep was pretty easy from x-pac to x-pac. I am also lucky Blizzard made it so you didn't have to grind rep on those legion factions for horde AND alliance to gain the allied races in BFA.

I still have yet to log in (never got a chance to log back in after the burning of the tree to do the siege of Lorderon) so I hope its as fun as the last 2 x-pacs were when you started.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #182 on: 16 Aug 2018, 21:04 »

No doubt about that, but the fact is it also feels like Blizzard is punishing players who have quit mid expansion. Especially because the reputation gains in Legion are, well, not consistent. Most quests reward something like 250 or so rep, while in Legion, the four you were trying to recruit for BfA were something 75-150.

Normally, you might be able to grind rep and get to Exalted with a faction in two weeks or so, even on a slow grind. With the gains in Legion, you're looking at nearly a month to raise one allied race. So yeah, it can feel like Blizzard are punishing those who are coming back.

Of course they are.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #183 on: 16 Aug 2018, 21:51 »

Which is why I'm surprised they're sticking to their guns on the 'we aren't changing the requirements to unlock allied races'. So far, at any rate. I still think that's likely to change about 4-6 months down the line. The last thing they want to do is alienate people who stopped playing and came back for the new expansion, and they are well aware of this fact. Sure the people who got it the hard way will complain... But that's all their likely to do. That and keep paying their subscription. On the other hand, if someone signed up with the promise of being able to play a void elf or Blackrock dwarf and finds out 'Oh no, you have to spend a month doing pointless Legion content to unlock the abilities to finally play the character you want they are more likely than the dedicated player to quickly drop out.

And Blizzard has a long history of making things harder to get while they are new/in current expansion and then relaxing the requirements a lot once the event or whatever has been out for a while, or when it's not really relevant to current events. Allied races are a bit of a risk for them I think, where they are trying to balance giving people what they promised, but still making people work for it. But I expect either the requirements to eventually be loosened or removed eventually. Or they turn up the rate you acquire reputation with the relevant factions so you can do it in a week or two casually instead of more than a month.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #184 on: 09 Sep 2018, 09:43 »

I was watching a couple of videos about potential allied races and a thought came to me.

A big part of Sylvanas' character has been to do with her fear of what waits for her in the afterlife, or rather lack thereof. Following Arthas' death, Sylvanas had nothing to "live" for and sought to end her own life and found there was nothing. No afterlife. Just a black emptiness.

(click to show/hide)

TheEvilDog

« Reply #185 on: 23 Sep 2018, 17:39 »

Finally unlocked the Lightforged Draenei today!

But in other, more interesting news, there's been some more information about the 8.1 patch. Obviously I've put the main points in the spoiler, but there's a larger spoiler I've kept because it is incredibly revealing about the future story of BfA.
(click to show/hide)

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #186 on: 23 Sep 2018, 19:29 »

(click to show/hide)

TheEvilDog

« Reply #187 on: 23 Sep 2018, 19:57 »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)