Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is Dale the prettiest princess?

Yes
No
Only if Marigold is awake

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2636-2640 (Feb 10 - 14 2014) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 77081 times)

Zwammy

• Obscure cultural reference

I like reading all the theories and opinions here, it's hilarious sometimes.  :laugh:  Although people do tend to awfulize quite a bit.
"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

Although people do tend to awfulize quite a bit.
Is that the same as catastrophize?

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.

Dale took off the AR glasses! Maybe he's finally content with his reality.
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

Or they're just turned off. Probably couldn't afford two pairs anyway. It's a nice thought, though.
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

I hope Momo doesn't need to have someone explain to her how to cook pancakes.  It's not as if she can't access the data instantly herself.

I wonder if Marigold is dragging Dale off for a heart to heart, or is about to shove him out the door.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I'm pretty sure they're already made. I've never had cold pancakes (if I make them I eat them), but if it's anything like cold pizza, they're delicious.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

Dale took off the AR glasses! Maybe he's finally content with his reality.
They run out of battery and the charger it's at home  :-P.

I was gonna ask why Dale it's not tired and/or doesn't have dark circles under his eyes, but then i remember he's an all-night-long gamer :laugh:.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Obviously, the pancakes can wait. 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

bryntheskits

• Larger than most fish

Obviously, the pancakes can wait. 
Blasphemous!
Hurp

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Well, there is that - Mae'r cablwr geltaidd.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Squiddlywinx

• Emoticontraindication

Hey-yo!

sluthy

Judging by the context, I can't see any other outcome to this other than http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0cUhaNVI2uk/TrXwIFg-TRI/AAAAAAAAWAo/KYoWVWOeDoI/s1600/0colbert.gif
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2014, 21:05 by Method of Madness »

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

They might not go quite that far, but they might. I suppose we'll know soon enough.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker

Sluthy, you need to put the image URL in [ img] [/ img], not [ url] [/ url]. Like so:
(click to show/hide)
~She/Her/They/Them~

bryntheskits

• Larger than most fish

They might not go quite that far, but they might. I suppose we'll know soon enough.
I mean,  I wouldn't get that is what is happening, seems soon.
Hurp

YourEvilExGirlfriend

• Plantmonster
  • You Left the Toilet Seat Up Again, You Bastard

Hah. You're not alone. Reading the page, I thought 'ohhhh, he's gonna get it :3' 

YourEvilExGirlfriend

• Plantmonster

... then again, it would be the first time doin' that happy dance for the both of them, wouldn't it? These two have barely even said more than ten complete sentences to each other since the whole Warcraft animosity thing was off the table.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

....I feel like this is going in a COMPLETELY opposite direction then you people think it's going.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

YourEvilExGirlfriend

• Plantmonster

....I feel like this is going in a COMPLETELY opposite direction then you people think it's going.

Meh. That would be pretty tiresome. How many misunderstandings can these two have?  If I were Dale, I'd get pretty discouraged if everything I did with the best of intentions was taken the wrong way...

I'm hoping for somethin' a bit more amiable but funny.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Sluthy, you need to put the image URL in [ img] [/ img], not [ url] [/ url]. Like so:
(click to show/hide)

I thought the tags were done by mistake and fixed it and then unfixed it when I realized there were no url things either. Anyway my point is I probably shouldn't have touched the post, so I undid my edit.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

sluthy

Sluthy, you need to put the image URL in [ img] [/ img], not [ url] [/ url].

I know, I just wasn't sure what the etiquette was of filling the forum with GIFs like that, didn't want to look like I was spamming. Suppose the spoiler tag would've been enough.

I mean,  I wouldn't get that is what is happening, seems soon.

Maybe she just wants wild makeouts and doesn't want Momo watching? It definitely looks like a "oh my god I screwed up and ruined our date and you still stayed all night hanging out with my friend and now you're making me breakfast SHUT UP AND KISS ME" scenario, how many if any clothes are shed is the debate.

Somebody

• Curry sauce

Sounds like Dale had a great date.

WITH MOMO!

JohnTheWysard

• Emoticontraindication

Dale's only mistake was that he made pancakes.

It obviously should have been waffles.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental

Marigold looks hot in the morning. I have a thing for messy hair.

Mhmmmmmyumyumyum ... Cute Bedhead ...!

He lay, often, looking at her sleeping face ...
Use of Weapons, Ian M. Banks
I'll say nice quote! I'm still part way though this novel, so ill say Cheradenine seems like ... something ... don't wana lose my head here

;) IRRC, it's Mr.C who'll - at least temporarily - loose his head. Hope you enjoy the rest of it, too!

New comic:
The 'cold pancake problem' can be shown to be at least NP-complete ...
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Meh. That would be pretty tiresome. How many misunderstandings can these two have?  If I were Dale, I'd get pretty discouraged if everything I did with the best of intentions was taken the wrong way...

See that's the thing. If someone did this to me I would be freaking the fuck out. It is a perfectly normal response to that. If you did that to me, even if you were making me breakfast I would be A. freaking out because you stayed over night while I was in a drug induced coma, and I'd be goddamn livid at my roommate for not getting help to toss my Irish ass in my rack, apologizing to you on my behalf and sending you on your way, then informing me I owe the girl roses and the roommate dinner for fucking up the previous night. It's creepy as hell no matter how good your intentions are. Technically, sneaking in to my room at night to do a quick test to ensure I'm not suffering from sleep apnea is a kind and caring thing to do, in practice however, it's still creepy. Unless it's a long term partner who's sick of me snoring, then it's just practical, and there's no sneaking involved, cause then it's said partner's bed too.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

How the hell is it creepy to take care of someone who's fucked up? If you're already there, I'd argue it's pretty much your duty as a decent human being to do so.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker

Everyone's different, GM. You might think it's creepy, but in Dale's shoes, I'd have pretty much done the same thing.

If Momo felt unsafe about Dale being there, she would have said so. Let's not forget she can shock people. (her attack does +5 damage, and ignores armor  :mrgreen: )
~She/Her/They/Them~

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Not saying Momo should have felt Dale was unsafe to be around. I'm saying it's socially awkward as fuck to hang around. In the event of a date passing out you ensure she's okay, get her home and in the hands of her friends and exit, stage left, your duty as a decent human being complete, and not being a creeper to boot.

Zwammy

Is that the same as catastrophize?

This is the Definition I was using.
"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker

Not saying Momo should have felt Dale was unsafe to be around. I'm saying it's socially awkward as fuck to hang around. In the event of a date passing out you ensure she's okay, get her home and in the hands of her friends and exit, stage left, your duty as a decent human being complete, and not being a creeper to boot.
Well, maybe I just like making pancakes/awesome food for people. That's my definition of performing my duty as a decent human being.
~She/Her/They/Them~

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

How the hell is it creepy to take care of someone who's fucked up? If you're already there, I'd argue it's pretty much your duty as a decent human being to do so.

Some people, especially women, would take it as creepy. Heck, I'm pretty sure GarandMarine is a GUY and HE sees it as creepy, so how could I expect a woman to take it? I would take no chances with misinterpretation, in Dale's place I'd stick around just long enough to make sure Momo would be there to keep an eye on Marigold and then go home. Especially if I know little about the woman in question and had been on the receiving end of paranoid misinterpretations of my motives from her in the past (which Dale has been).

Yeah Marigold would be feeling bad, thinking she'd blown the date, but it'd be up to me to get in touch with her and reschedule. And if she refused, being too embarrassed or whatever, well, that would be the end of that far as I was concerned.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Well, maybe I just like making pancakes/awesome food for people. That's my definition of performing my duty as a decent human being.

Sneak into your next door neighbor's place around 0500 today and do your duty then. See what happens and report back.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

I don't think that's comparable. Dale and Marigold know about the bidirectional affection, and Dale didn't stick around with Marigold, but rather with Momo. I see this more as Dale becoming friends with Momo, and Dale and Momo staying up all night and then both of them wanting to surprise Marigold with something good.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker

Sneak into your next door neighbor's place around 0500 today and do your duty then. See what happens and report back.
Dude, chill. You know full well there's a difference between breaking into someone's house and what's happened here in the comic. I was merely professing my fondness for cooking. By the sounds of it, it seems like Momo was the one that wanted Dale to stay. And if her and Dale bond over the experience, that can only be good.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

I like that Momo got to play a facilitating role without all this falling into a Shadow Friend situation.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

so how could I expect a woman to take it?
...how is that not an incredibly sexist question?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world

Seriously, cold pancakes are pretty tasty.

This statement is so detached from reality that I can only assume that Jeph has been replaced by some sort of demon or warlock.
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood

Seriously, cold pancakes are pretty tasty.
This statement is so detached from reality that I can only assume that Jeph has been replaced by some sort of demon or warlock.

If we take the most optimistic view of what Dale and Marigold are up to now, I doubt the temperature of the pancakes is high on their priorities list.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

it's socially awkward as fuck to hang around.

Yes.

It would also have been socially awkward to leave, but not as funny.

Nobody will ever take the QC characters as role models for setting good boundaries.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

so how could I expect a woman to take it?
...how is that not an incredibly sexist question?

Women tend to be more concerned about their personal safety than men, and so tend to be more prone to misinterpret men's behavior as threatening, even when said behavior is not intended as such. And yes, some men can be interpreted as more threatening than others, even when they're not trying to be.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet

Well, there is that - Mae'r cablwr getlaidd.
Fixed that for you.

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

I get GarandMarine's point. Basically, hanging around an unconscious person you barely know would come across as creepy as hell, no matter how noble your intentions. Marigold was in safe hands with Momo, and Dale could have come back in the morning to apologise and reschedule their date.

But I can also (kind of) see Dale's point of view, too. Marigold was insistent that Dale stay, even in her completely zonked out state. I guess to him it was like an obligation as a friend to make sure she was alright (again, Momo was there, so this rationalisation falls flat).

Personally, I'm of a similar opinion as GM. Dale's a good guy, but they really haven't been together enough to call it a relationship (spoken by a dude who doesn't have enough experience to make a valid argument :( )
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

If Marigold was in her bedroom and Dale and Momo were in the living room watching movies, then it's no different from any other roommate having a quiet late night party.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

Meh. Waffles, Pancakes, who cares, same thing really.

If Marigold was in her bedroom and Dale and Momo were in the living room watching movies, then it's no different from any other roommate having a quiet late night party.
+1
Carpe Diem

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker

+10
~She/Her/They/Them~

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku

Marigold insisted on having their date ASAP. She fell asleep. Dale spent the time bonding with Momo. Dale making pancakes and sticking around in general is basically him moving the date to whenever Marigold feels up to it--since she wanted to have it so badly. It seemed really important to her for him to be there. If he left, she would probably have felt like she ruined things again. As someone with depression, I definitely would beat myself up over the situation and blame myself for it if I were her. That's not to say that she should!! Seriously. But that's what I would end up doing, no matter how unhealthy that is.
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Crossing my fingers that Marigold's getting a morning surprise. Didn't know she liked sausage for breakfast OHHHHHHHHH

Gotta say, the post-orgasmic glow really helps with social anxiety.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

I don't see how Dale staying can be wrong.  That Marigold insisted that he stay may not mean much. She did not know that she would pass out. But Momo not only asked him to, when seemed close to panic when he suggested that he leave.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Do androids dream of electric pancakes?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Do androids dream of electric pancakes?

BEST POST EVER
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up