Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is Dale the prettiest princess?

Yes
No
Only if Marigold is awake

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2636-2640 (Feb 10 - 14 2014) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 77051 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I know, I just wasn't sure what the etiquette was of filling the forum with GIFs like that, didn't want to look like I was spamming. Suppose the spoiler tag would've been enough.

Personally, I hate them.  If I'd seen that image in clear I would have spoilered it immediately; probably not deleted it, but gritting my teeth.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Do androids dream of electric pancakes?

Take an internet for that.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

YourEvilExGirlfriend

• Plantmonster
  • You Left the Toilet Seat Up Again, You Bastard

so how could I expect a woman to take it?
...how is that not an incredibly sexist question?

Women tend to be more concerned about their personal safety than men, and so tend to be more prone to misinterpret men's behavior as threatening, even when said behavior is not intended as such. And yes, some men can be interpreted as more threatening than others, even when they're not trying to be.

As a woman, I didn't find this situation threatening at all. Then again, I am much more socially adjusted and much less anxious than Marigold as a person over all.  I've been in situations where we've come back home from bars and let new acquaintances crash on the couch, unattended, while we went back to our own beds just as wasted out of our minds to avoid having anyone driving home drunk. In retrospect, I think I would have re-evaluated those decisions, but then, so many aspects of college and hookup culture aren't entirely all that safe. Both Delilah and Marten were drunk/high out of their gourds. Inebriated perfect stranger Mark Marten offered to stay behind in an empty house with equally inebriated Delilah with the intention of hooking up with her. In a highly sensitive universe, that is about 100% more creeptacular than Dale, a guy Marigold knows, likes and wants to date, staying over and watching a movie with perfectly sober Momo on the couch while she sleeps off the Benadryl in her room.

But hey, that's just me.

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food

coming soon, on SlipShine...Marigold Performs a Sex. (damn you Willis!)
SQUEEZE BOX

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

It's the violation of my bubble that bothers me. I'm introverted outside of the right settings and even in those settings I'm highly defensive of MY space. I'm quite well adjusted socially, especially after a beer or three to take the edge off and while I have issues with anxiety and paranoia in this scenario

it's socially awkward as fuck to hang around.

Yes.

It would also have been socially awkward to leave, but not as funny.

Nobody will ever take the QC characters as role models for setting good boundaries.

That's really what is being dealt with here. Maybe it's just me, I've had randoms crash at my pad before no problem, (not as part of college or whatever hook up culture is, but I'm no stranger to getting hammered with strangers. Marines drink like we fight.) and I've been the pursuer and pursued for the odd drunk hook up or two and am just fine with those situations. They're very defined and particular about where they get in the boundaries. Delilah laid it out hard and fast for Mark in the morning. Random hook up. Shoo. Random drunk people. Don't puke on my couch, then shoo.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

Do androids dream of electric pancakes?
Siiiiiigquoted.
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

douçaine

• Not quite a lurker

The fact that Valentine's Day is two days away makes me think he'll give this a happy ending, but the look Marigold has on her face makes me question that theory.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

The fact that Valentine's Day is two days away makes me think he'll give this a happy ending, but the look Marigold has on her face makes me question that theory.
Nah. It is the look of determination. She wants to bang ASAP. They are officially a couple on Valentine's Day.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Dale and Marigold are hardly strangers at this point though. Dale's been over for anime night, they've done some pretty intense spit-swapping at the Coffee of Doom, and both have finally admitted their attraction for each other (in the most awkward way, likely). It's still just a little bit creepy, but it's not like this date is the first time they were going to be spending together. Then sticking around would have been massively creepy. And of course, Dale's first reaction was in fact to leave and let Marigold sleep it off, but she quite strongly insisted...

I'm really not seeing that Mari was creeped out by this... She was just hyper anxious that she ruined another night/chance with Dale. But he did a stand up thing. Made sure she was okay, and spent the night hanging out with Momo.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

Is that the same as catastrophize?
This is the Definition I was using.
I had considered catastrophize as a recently coined word, one that usually made me smile when I said it, say, to a howling grandchild, and looked at awfulize in your usage the same way. Your dictionary and mine contain both words, awfulize as a transitive verb, catastrophize as intransitive. Learning has occurred.

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

If Marigold was in her bedroom and Dale and Momo were in the living room watching movies, then it's no different from any other roommate having a quiet late night party.
Yes!
Marigold insisted on having their date ASAP. She fell asleep. Dale spent the time bonding with Momo. Dale making pancakes and sticking around in general is basically him moving the date to whenever Marigold feels up to it--since she wanted to have it so badly. It seemed really important to her for him to be there.
Yes, again! Dale suggested leaving and both Marigold and Momo asked him to stay. Furthermore, it's not as if Marbear and Dale are strangers. They have many common friends; they've already spent some time together before, both with others and alone.

I just wish they had stayed in the kitchen and had a relaxed breakfast together, just talking. Marigold and Dale are still so awkward talking to each other that I think it would be much better for their relationship to just talk, have fun, be comfortable around each other, before they move on to physical intimacy - if they both go further in that direction now than they've been before and never even talk about it, it will again be so awkward afterwards! This is of course assuming that Marbear isn't just throwing him out, but I don't think she is.

-- ok, again two people were faster. Ah, well... --

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

I don't see how Dale staying can be wrong.  That Marigold insisted that he stay may not mean much. She did not know that she would pass out. But Momo not only asked him to, when seemed close to panic when he suggested that he leave.

Whether or not it's creepy depends wholly on whether Marigold thinks it is. I think we can safely assume that Momo knows Marigold well enough to know how Marigold would react both if Dale stayed and if he left, and she decided it would be better if he stayed. That tells me she's pretty sure that Marigold won't take it as creepy, and I feel pretty sure Momo's right.

And I think it will take more time before Marigold's comfortable enough to have sex with Dale. I suspect they're probably going to smooch the heck out of each other and then have breakfast, but only Jeph knows for sure...

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

She might just touch his wiener.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Meh. Waffles, Pancakes, who cares, same thing really.

Waffles

Pancakes

Interesting conversation coming up

Then Pancakes.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

This si a personal growth opportunity for Momo. She's being forced to navigate situations that are probably not in her social protocol database.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

retrosteve

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Very slow tourist

I Just Wanna Know...

Where are the pancakes?

And how come the kitchen counter and stovetop are so clean if they're just making pancakes?

Do Androids dream up immaculate invisible electric pancakes?

...Personally, I think Strong Bad wheeled them off for a secret rendezvous.

Thinks too much.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Prediction: Tomorrow will be something we don't expect.

For example, four panels of Marigold eating pancakes.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Zwammy

• Obscure cultural reference

Learning has occurred.

Learning makes me happy!  :-)
"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse

Zwammy

For example, four panels of Marigold eating pancakes.

Hey, she'll need the protein after brutally banging her boyfriend's bony body.
"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Dude, what? Come on now.

...pancakes are nothing but carbs, she'll need some bacon and eggs for that.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

I see that Marigold has changed clothes. 

I said that the pancakes could wait.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Is it wrong that I'm disappointed?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

Dude, what? Come on now.

...pancakes are nothing but carbs, she'll need some bacon and eggs for that.

Dammit! Now I'm hungry!!

*Heads off to make Dinner*
James The Kugai 

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Apparently Marigold did not find it the least bit creepy. I can't say I'm shocked.

With both Marigold and Momo having made it clear that they wanted him to stay, I cannot begin to understand the fuss being made.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I admit I'd be a little happier for Marigold if she were more clearly acting from affection than from desperation.

It's definitely funny though.

"Stay" didn't necessarily mean to spend the night there. I don't find Dale creepy, though, since it wasn't his idea.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I admit I'd be a little happier for Marigold if she were more clearly acting from affection than from desperation.
Hence the disappointment.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jazzmaster

RE: Momo's line in panel four

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

Clearly there are gaps in some of Momos 'Relationship Protocols'  ;D
James The Kugai 

westrim

For two people who to our knowledge were virgins up until comic 2638, never mind anxiety, 'length of time without' or inexperience, everything since the second panel on to now seems very implausible. Staying to keep an eye on her with android friend? Sure. Pancakes? Awesome. Those are adorable, and I'm totally willing to go with them. Virgin 1 dragging virgin 2 straight to home plate despite extremely little experience to our knowledge with any of the other bases (I swear I hate the baseball analogy, but it worked and I couldn't get it replaced)? Hey look, there's my disbelief. The suspension cable just snapped.
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2014, 21:52 by Westrim »

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Yep.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Texanhick20

• Not quite a lurker

For two people who to our knowledge were virgins up until comic 2638, never mind anxiety, 'length of time without' or inexperience, everything since the second panel on to now seems very implausible. Staying to keep an eye on her with android friend? Sure. Pancakes? Awesome. Those are adorable, and I'm totally willing to go with them. Virgin 1 dragging virgin 2 straight to home plate despite extremely little experience to our knowledge with any of the other bases (I swear I hate the baseball analogy, but it worked and I couldn't get it replaced)? Hey look, there's my disbelief. The suspension cable just snapped.

That's pretty much how I lost my virginity.  It was spontaneous with very little lead into it and she and I hadn't circled each other nearly as much as Dale and Mar

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Marigold is in a... uhm, trance?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

Virgin 1 dragging virgin 2 straight to home plate despite extremely little experience to our knowledge with any of the other bases (I swear I hate the baseball analogy, but it worked and I couldn't get it replaced)? Hey look, there's my disbelief. The suspension cable just snapped.

If you picture Marigold acting from the motivation that she may feel the only way to "make up" for the previous night's snafu would be to jump Dale ASAP then it may work for you. Also, she could be acting from a sense of deep gratitude that he stayed, and wanted to express that gratitude by screwing him senseless. I've seen flimsier motivations for sex in big box office movies and popular TV shows.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Shootz

• Not quite a lurker

I have to say I was really looking forward to something more slow paced, an awkward but cute love story between two people experiencing intimacy for the first time. An arc about the two of them feeling things they've never felt before, wanting to do things they've never done before etc. could have been very sweet. Both of them freaking out about seeing each other naked and what not.

This comic has dealt with all kinds of unconventional things like trans-sexuality, bisexuality, bdsm, one night stands with girls who don't shave, inter-racial relationships etc. and that's great but I really don't think Jeph needs to be constantly pushing the envelope so to speak. It would've been cool to see something a bit more cliched and relateable for a change of pace.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

The syrup is for the beefcake.

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker

How are "one night stands with girls who don't shave" considered "pushing the envelope"? Waay too much attention has been given to Delilah's body hair by people on this forum.
Come on, guys.
Seriously.

/rant
~She/Her/They/Them~

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

Considering the comic, I was expecting to see a lot more Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanging going on here.

I am disappoint.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Y

• Curry sauce

I wonder if Dale is still around. Or if she dragged him to the closet instead of the door last comic .

Ravenswing

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Iconoclast
    • Apotheosis of the Invisible City

Apparently Marigold did not find it the least bit creepy. I can't say I'm shocked.

With both Marigold and Momo having made it clear that they wanted him to stay, I cannot begin to understand the fuss being made.
Because there are a lot of folks out there with the fundamental mindset that all men are innately predators and rapists, barely under control at the best of times.

Heck, I spoke to a mother a few years back who boasted -- boasted! -- that she'd never yet failed to ensure that her husband was never alone with their five-year-old daughter, because, well, All Men.
It's not that I don't understand what you're saying.  It's that I don't AGREE with what you're saying.

Shootz

• Not quite a lurker

How are "one night stands with girls who don't shave" considered "pushing the envelope"? Waay too much attention has been given to Delilah's body hair by people on this forum.
Come on, guys.
Seriously.

/rant

Because a girl who doesn't shave is unconventional, it's confronting to some extent, and isn't that what pushing the envelope is all about? Confronting your audience with something unconventional to them?

DarthSox

• Not quite a lurker

I was so confused by today's comic, because I thought yesterday Marigold was pulling Dale out into the hallway to have a stern talking-to with Momo in private. Understanding household geography is apparently quite important.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Wait, why would she have a stern talking-to with Momo?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

Because there are a lot of folks out there with the fundamental mindset that all men are innately predators and rapists, barely under control at the best of times.

Heck, I spoke to a mother a few years back who boasted -- boasted! -- that she'd never yet failed to ensure that her husband was never alone with their five-year-old daughter, because, well, All Men.

Exactly the point I was trying to make with my earlier posts about why Dale's actions could be considered creepy under different circumstances. Fortunately for him, Marigold did not consider his actions creepy, hence his apparently getting laid. But if she were less attracted to him and/or more paranoid about her safety or believed that all men are predators, things could have ended very differently for Dale.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

If she didn't want him to stay over, she wouldn't have objected when he was going to leave the night before.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Maybe she thought that Momo had "stolen" her date.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

OMG Momo is having dirty thoughts! Oh well, it is not the first time. Still, this is Pintsize's field of expertise.

Anyway, without utensils and napkins it is going to be a mess, even if the syrup is just for the pancakes  :laugh:

EDIT: Another episode here.

Smallest

• Curry sauce

Regarding Marigold's innocence, she did touch a wiener. (see: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2166)

I have to say I was really looking forward to something more slow paced, an awkward but cute love story between two people experiencing intimacy for the first time. An arc about the two of them feeling things they've never felt before, wanting to do things they've never done before etc. could have been very sweet. Both of them freaking out about seeing each other naked and what not.

This comic has dealt with all kinds of unconventional things like trans-sexuality, bisexuality, bdsm, one night stands with girls who don't shave, inter-racial relationships etc. and that's great but I really don't think Jeph needs to be constantly pushing the envelope so to speak. It would've been cool to see something a bit more cliched and relateable for a change of pace.

I get wanting a cute story out of Marigold and Dale but I don't get how a romantic-awkward subplot is more relateable (on a large scale, I understand this may not be your personal experience) or likely than two adults who are attracted to each other and beginning to date and over the conventional age for virgins wanting to just go have sex.

Method of Madness: She wasn't exactly herself the night before.

DarthSox

• Not quite a lurker

Firstly, I wasn't trying to weigh in on the "creepy/not creepy" debate on account I didn't read the WCDT until today, and hadn't formed an opinion. But I read it as Marigold falling on the "creepy" side, and blaming Momo more than Dale for him being there when he shouldn't have been(hypothetical Marigold opinion, not mine).

But today's comic went in an entirely different direction.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Nah. It is the look of determination. She wants to bang ASAP. They are officially a couple on Valentine's Day.
Ahh. Just as I predicted. On Valentine's day tomorrow, Marigold and Dale shall perform a double booty dance, with Faye and Angus applauding. Momo should get the Happy Arbor Day 2003 banner from Pintsize, and invite everybody to a celebration.

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker

Because a girl who doesn't shave is unconventional, it's confronting to some extent, and isn't that what pushing the envelope is all about? Confronting your audience with something unconventional to them?
Or maybe it's just confronting and unconventional to you. Be chill dude.
~She/Her/They/Them~
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up