Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is Dale the prettiest princess?

Yes
No
Only if Marigold is awake

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2636-2640 (Feb 10 - 14 2014) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 77080 times)

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Hoboy. What a mess.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Shootz

• Not quite a lurker

Because a girl who doesn't shave is unconventional, it's confronting to some extent, and isn't that what pushing the envelope is all about? Confronting your audience with something unconventional to them?
Or maybe it's just confronting and unconventional to you. Be chill dude.

Heh, well at least now I understand why it's surprising to you why so many forum members made mention of Delilah's body hair. I think we must just live in different places because where I'm from a girl who let's her body hair grow would universally be considered unconventional.

Shootz

• Not quite a lurker

Regarding Marigold's innocence, she did touch a wiener. (see: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2166)

I have to say I was really looking forward to something more slow paced, an awkward but cute love story between two people experiencing intimacy for the first time. An arc about the two of them feeling things they've never felt before, wanting to do things they've never done before etc. could have been very sweet. Both of them freaking out about seeing each other naked and what not.

This comic has dealt with all kinds of unconventional things like trans-sexuality, bisexuality, bdsm, one night stands with girls who don't shave, inter-racial relationships etc. and that's great but I really don't think Jeph needs to be constantly pushing the envelope so to speak. It would've been cool to see something a bit more cliched and relateable for a change of pace.

I get wanting a cute story out of Marigold and Dale but I don't get how a romantic-awkward subplot is more relateable (on a large scale, I understand this may not be your personal experience) or likely than two adults who are attracted to each other and beginning to date and over the conventional age for virgins wanting to just go have sex.

Method of Madness: She wasn't exactly herself the night before.

Yeah you might be right about my personal experiences differing from the greater population. I just really liked the idea of an 'awkward first time' story playing out between these two love birds.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Shootz - Well yeah, but being unconventional isn't a bad thing.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cpflux

• Emoticontraindication

Hoboy. What a mess.

It would seem that they're both in quite the sticky situation.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Heh, well at least now I understand why it's surprising to you why so many forum members made mention of Delilah's body hair. I think we must just live in different places because where I'm from a girl who let's her body hair grow would universally be considered unconventional.
Now I feel really old. When I was younger, female body hair shaving (at least on other places than the legs) was definitively considered kinky.

cpflux

• Emoticontraindication

Regarding Marigold's innocence, she did touch a wiener. (see: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2166)

I have to say I was really looking forward to something more slow paced, an awkward but cute love story between two people experiencing intimacy for the first time. An arc about the two of them feeling things they've never felt before, wanting to do things they've never done before etc. could have been very sweet. Both of them freaking out about seeing each other naked and what not.

This comic has dealt with all kinds of unconventional things like trans-sexuality, bisexuality, bdsm, one night stands with girls who don't shave, inter-racial relationships etc. and that's great but I really don't think Jeph needs to be constantly pushing the envelope so to speak. It would've been cool to see something a bit more cliched and relateable for a change of pace.

I get wanting a cute story out of Marigold and Dale but I don't get how a romantic-awkward subplot is more relateable (on a large scale, I understand this may not be your personal experience) or likely than two adults who are attracted to each other and beginning to date and over the conventional age for virgins wanting to just go have sex.

Method of Madness: She wasn't exactly herself the night before.

Yeah you might be right about my personal experiences differing from the greater population. I just really liked the idea of an 'awkward first time' story playing out between these two love birds.

Maybe she read something on WikiHow.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Let's hope it wasn't the Cosmopolitan.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

bryntheskits

• Larger than most fish

Exactly the point I was trying to make with my earlier posts about why Dale's actions could be considered creepy under different circumstances. Fortunately for him, Marigold did not consider his actions creepy, hence his apparently getting laid. But if she were less attracted to him and/or more paranoid about her safety or believed that all men are predators, things could have ended very differently for Dale.
Yeah, maybe if they didn't know they each liked each other and hadn't totally made out for a few comics that could have been creepy, but they did, and it wasn't.

I seriously don't see how Dale staying behind to make pancakes is a big deal, are all men seen as potential rapists or something?
Hurp

cpflux

• Emoticontraindication

Exactly the point I was trying to make with my earlier posts about why Dale's actions could be considered creepy under different circumstances. Fortunately for him, Marigold did not consider his actions creepy, hence his apparently getting laid. But if she were less attracted to him and/or more paranoid about her safety or believed that all men are predators, things could have ended very differently for Dale.
Yeah, maybe if they didn't know they each liked each other and hadn't totally made out for a few comics that could have been creepy, but they did, and it wasn't.

I seriously don't see how Dale staying behind to make pancakes is a big deal, are all men seen as potential rapists or something?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umc7BFEhWz0&feature=youtu.be&t=1m

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Shootz

• Not quite a lurker

I definitely didn't mean to imply that it was!

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

And then she woke up and it was all a drug-induced dream.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Well then why would you object to him including unconventional things?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cpflux

• Emoticontraindication

I was trying to think of something horrible, and... yeah, I'm pretty sure Cosmo is worse than WikiHow.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Welcome, new person!

That's thought-provoking.

Jeph definitely could have made a sweet-young-lovers-growing-together into something sufficiently awkward and funny to be QC material, and it would have been enjoyable.

On the other hand, what happened was in character. As shown with Angus, Marigold can be uncompromisingly direct.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

@Shootz and others: I think several in the audience (me, at least) was getting tired of the interminable slowness and awkwardness of the Dale/Marigold subplot. It was time to bring it to conclusion. Besides, Jeph seems to have set himself a time limit, the plot had to be resolved on Valentine's Day.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I was so confused by today's comic, because I thought yesterday Marigold was pulling Dale out into the hallway to have a stern talking-to with Momo in private. Understanding household geography is apparently quite important.

Welcome, new person!

There are floor plans for some of the apartments on the wiki, but I believe not for Marigold's.

If she were going to have an intense discussion with Momo, wouldn't she have grabbed Momo instead?

Changing the subject, there's still plenty of room for awkward relationship development. They've still got all the usual young lover things to do, that hasn't been short-circuited by their early physical intimacy.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

I don't see anything surprising with Dale and Marigold jumping right into the sack. They're both prone to anxiety. Anxious people can't take things slowly without being hampered by crippling irrational second thoughts. Save for having therapy that gives them mental preparation, their only way is to jump right into the water before panic kicks in.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Most people's first times are terrible, but there are some who have first times that are great, so, it's really not impossible.

Also Marigold is hot. DROP DAT SHEET GURL
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Toe

• Obscure cultural reference

For example, four panels of Marigold eating pancakes.

Hey, she'll need the protein after brutally banging her boyfriend's bony body.

This is why pancakes are to be consumed with peanut butter spread on top.

Shootz

• Not quite a lurker

Well then why would you object to him including unconventional things?

No no, not objecting, just expressing my disappointment that the story arc didn't go the way I was hoping. Unconventional isn't bad, I was just keen for a story that I could relate to.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

Somewhat surprising? Perhaps unconventional, but IMVHO not out of character. It looks like Marigold would not take no for an answer this time. May be she had decided in advance (adding another explanation to her nervousness a few strips back)?

Momo and Marigold expressions and dialogue (if you can call it that) are priceless (as usual). Not quite scatological judo this time, but Momo won't be allowed to hang out with Pintsize any longer.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

greywolfe

• Balloon animal serial killer

Don't spoil their maple-related fun Momo!

LittleKing

• Emoticontraindication

Wooo, go Marigold! Go Dale! About time!  :laugh:

I feel a little bad for Momo though, it's always a little awkward to hang around waiting while people have sex in the next room... She should go out and catch a movie or something : :-P

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

I sure do hope that increased physical intimacy without even a little bit of becoming comfortable with each other first will not just make everything between them more awkward (as I already thought yesterday)... But then, if they have breakfast in bed together, that is a good time for emotional bonding.
Also I really hope at least one of them was sufficiently prepared to have a condom at hand.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

It is Marigold's syrup, and she can use it as she pleases.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

I sure do hope that increased physical intimacy without even a little bit of becoming comfortable with each other first will not just make everything between them more awkward (as I already thought yesterday)... But then, if they have breakfast in bed together, that is a good time for emotional bonding.
Also I really hope at least one of them was sufficiently prepared to have a condom at hand.

There are plenty of things you can do that you do not need a condom for. And no, I do not mean Scrabble.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

Oh myyyy.....I thought they were just gonna make out!

Didn't see that coming, but this is probably the best way their first time could've turned out. Can't wait to see Dales face  :-D

Also pancakes after sex > Smoking after sex
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

At the risk of being slightly graphic, if you get off, you tend to relax. I think that a mutually orgasmic experience will be good for their social anxiety, they will both be flooded with endorphins and be able to just chill out around each and chat... and then be back to the status quo next time they see each other.

WAYF

• Beyoncé

There are plenty of things you can do that you do not need a condom for. And no, I do not mean Scrabble.

Gosh, cause between the current state of discussion and your username, I could have SWORN you were talking about Scrabble! :P

(I've seen Marigold's behaviour before, in real life. Not specifically getting pancakes and syrup, but the general kind of matter-of-fact demeanour is definitely there.)

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

(I've seen Marigold's behaviour before, in real life. Not specifically getting pancakes and syrup, but the general kind of matter-of-fact demeanour is definitely there.)
Not quite sure here. Marigold seems to have been in some kind of trance ever since she waked up. But after the initial shock, realizing the date was ruined, but Dale still there (thanks to Momo), she got this determined look. Not smiling, not talking, but definitively acting.

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

True.  :-)

I think that a mutually orgasmic experience will be good for their social anxiety, they will both be flooded with endorphins.

Not sure if there was much of an orgasmic experience if they were both virgins before (speaking from personal experience), but of course KOK is right, we don't know what they actually did and so I will stop speculating immediately. We'll see what the comic tomorrow is (maybe something completely different? E.g. back to Marten?)

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

Also pancakes after sex > Smoking after sex
Pretty much any kind of dessert after sex > smoking after sex.
(After my first time with my first girlfriend, we had chocolate icecream and fresh raspberries. Awwww yeah :parrot:.)
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

True.  :-)

I think that a mutually orgasmic experience will be good for their social anxiety, they will both be flooded with endorphins.

Not sure if there was much of an orgasmic experience if they were both virgins before (speaking from personal experience), but of course KOK is right, we don't know what they actually did and so I will stop speculating immediately. We'll see what the comic tomorrow is (maybe something completely different? E.g. back to Marten?)

You still get plenty of endorphins from orgasm-free sex.

Marx0r

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • The future is certain

It's the Dobler-Dahmer Theory.

freeman

• Balloon animal serial killer

Well, I truly hoped they would have chosen the "taking it slowly" -course, but if nothing else, Momo's comment on proper syrup usage just ruined the chances for that, but we'll see tomorrow.

Hopefully they spare some syrup for the pancakes.
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2014, 07:51 by freeman »
Man!

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Marbear certainly got on the train to sexy town faster than I thought. :-o

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.

To all of you who excoriated me, in public or private, for mentioning the distinct possibility, nay probability!, of Marigold and Dale getting groiny with it…

:-* :parrot: :popcorn: Naa naa-naa naa-naa naa naa naa!  :-P :psyduck: :evil:

:-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P

And I really don't want to know what that syrup goes on, other than the pancakes.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Now would be a great time for Marigold's dad to show up at her door again.

"EXPLAIN NUDITY."
"Huh?"
"NUDITY. EXPLAIN IT."
"Dad, I'd like you to meet Dale..."
"DAMN IT DAMN IT DAMN IT Damn it..."
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Yes, two virgins, at least one desperate? I hope it worked better than usual.

(priggish moderator)Enough people are squicked by people lusting after characters that it's worth being super-careful about acknowledging that they're portrayed as desirable(/)
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Now would be a great time for Marigold's dad to show up at her door again.

"EXPLAIN NUDITY."
"Huh?"
"NUDITY. EXPLAIN IT."
"Dad, I'd like you to meet Dale..."
"DAMN IT DAMN IT DAMN IT Damn it..."

It is a very good thing I wasn't drinking anything as I read this. ;)

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

I took the liberty of making Marigold's morning a little more surreal:

(click to show/hide)

:-D

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Shebly showed up!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I can imagine Momo preparing to support Marigold's health by discreetly acquiring condoms ahead of time.

Someone on another forum mentioned the humor of a scene where a robot is buying condoms.
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2014, 16:22 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Would people who didn't know that Momo was a robot be able to tell?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

StevenC

• Furry furrier

Is it getting hot or is it just Mari?  :-D

Also, slow down girl, I know he's a keeper since he's making pancakes and all but still whew.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

Some people clearly haven't noticed, such as Padma and Sam. But they aren't the most observant people in the world.

Momo looks pretty human, but there are some pretty clear signs that she isn't. The anime eyes are a dead giveaway - no human has eyes that big. Also she has articulation seams, but they may not be as obvious as Jeph draws them.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

I can imagine Momo preparing to support Marigold's health by discretely acquiring condoms ahead of time

That would be one at a time?
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Considering the people in-comic who didn't know Momo was a robot (Padma and Sam for example) tended to think she was ~12 years old, it might attract some unwanted attention if they see her buying condoms.  :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up