Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is Dale the prettiest princess?

Yes
No
Only if Marigold is awake

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2636-2640 (Feb 10 - 14 2014) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 77168 times)

Baphomet

• Not quite a lurker

Johnny, please.
(click to show/hide)
Oh hai, Mark.

(click to show/hide)

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Do you guys think QC will ever be funny again?
Funny ? Whats that ? Anyone needs that ? Can one eat it ?
:mrgreen: @Binks: I guess nobody is forcing you to read QC. If you do not like it, please find another comic that is hilarious all the time. As someone said, "It is Jeph's show, we are just here for the ride".

As for myself, it is the combination of serious real life issues, strong personalities, development of storylines (Ok, perhaps a bit slow at times), and occasional hilarity that make me like the series. A bit of sci-fi technology also helps, happily it is not overused.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Boy, Marten's standards must've dropped hard if he thought Delilah was "cute."

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I thought she was cute. There is no official hierarchy of cuteness - just because she isn't your type doesn't mean she isn't anyone else's.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

I thought she was cute. There is no official hierarchy of cuteness - just because she isn't your type doesn't mean she isn't anyone else's.
We tend to like or dislike fictional characters, based on how they are portrayed, and our own preferences. As for Delilah, she was not my type, but I did not exactly dislike her or think she was ugly.
  • Positive: Direct, honest
  • Negative: Usage of other drugs than alcohol, practices one-night stands (just my opinion, not necessarily universally negative).

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

...Okay I'm going to stop coming into the comic forum again.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

StevenC

• Furry furrier

Oh Marten... The title of todays comic says it all for me: "Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah"

I was kinda hoping Delilah's story would have helped him to not take everything so seriously all the time so that he would stop feeling sorry for himself and maybe go out from time to time, have fun and possibly meet someone interesting but alas... Marten will be Marten. :-P
It made him realize he's not interested in the casual thing. That's something, no?

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

Any chance of you not restating this opinion at least once a week any time soon?
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

+1 to Skewbrow :mrgreen:

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk

This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined

+ 2.71828182845904523536028747135266249775724709369995 for cesariojpn  :angelface:

Sent from an MRC Banana  by an apathetic diabetic octogenarian with a penchant for sloth using Q-codes through an outdated assembler
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

Clearly Marten's doesn't enjoy night stands, or at least the mornings after. As for Jeph celebrating Valentine's Day, remember he announced not long ago that his own marriage was ending. I wouldn't feel like celebrating VD either under those circumstances.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

freeman

• Balloon animal serial killer

Anywhere it can be licked off of.

I hear that causes terrible risk of yeast infection.
Man!

LittleKing

• Emoticontraindication

It made him realize he's not interested in the casual thing. That's something, no?
Fair point!

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

I dunno... I'm not getting so much whining here as Marten trying to sort out his feelings on the whole hook up. This is apparently the first time he's done something like this, and it clearly isn't what he was expecting it to be.

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku

Yeah, that's how I feel. He's allowed to feel unsatisfied and unfulfilled by the experience. Not everyone's into casual sex, and it's not really our place to judge him for that, is it?
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

I wouldn't feel like celebrating VD either under those circumstances.

I wouldn't feel like celebrating VD under any circumstances. :mrgreen:
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Anywhere it can be licked off of.

I hear that causes terrible risk of yeast infection.
Hence the need to be thorough with the licking.  :-D

But you're right, honey is safer. Yogurt too.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Not sure honey is safer - yeast thrives on sugar. Natural yoghurt is ok, but nothing with sugar in it (even fruit sugars).
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Any chance of you not restating this opinion at least once a week any time soon?

You were expecting me to make a Yeti joke?

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Can you just stop commenting on Delilah's physical appearance? It's already been discussed to death and it's starting to get tedious (I don't just mean you - anyone who feels the need to dissect whether or not body hair is attractive should take this warning to heart).

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Not sure honey is safer - yeast thrives on sugar.
Honey has antifungal properties. Non-heated honey, anyway. Cheap honey-based products should be avoided, as they've often been heated.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

I see the pig-mud-rasslin' matches have started.
(click to show/hide)
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Interesting! I shall stick to using pharmaceutical cream, but it's good to know :)

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

... as opposed to mud or honey?
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Marten and Faye are so close that it's almost like talking to himself. He can think out loud around her.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Specifically as a thrush treatment.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Thrush?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Um, what would you call it? Vaginal yeast infection? It's pretty grim anyway. Yes - yeast infection is the phrase that was used that triggered the whole conversation!

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Oh. I honestly didn't know what that was referring to.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

*Gibbsmacks Marten*
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Thrush is a common fungal (yeast) infection that can affect many parts of the body - mouth, vagina, penis, oesophagus, nails...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

"Cute" is a term that, in my experience, is used when you don't want to admit that you had more attraction to someone than would be considered (in your mind, at least) "acceptable."
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Really? Cute to me seems like a term that can mean a LOT of things.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Really? Cute to me seems like a term that can mean a LOT of things.

I don't quite see Delilah as being shrewd or clever in the context Marten is I think is trying to tell Faye. How can you be either one of those things in a one-night stand? Maybe he meant acute?

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

"Cute" is a term that, in my experience, is used when you don't want to admit that you had more attraction to someone than would be considered (in your mind, at least) "acceptable."

Well, that's different from the way most people use the word.

Can we all just accept that Marten found Delilah attractive, and that attractiveness is purely in the eye of the beholder?
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Yeah, in pretty sure I've never used "cute" that way.
But then I give nary a fig leaf for what strangers think is "appropriate" most days, so… 
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

Can we all just accept that Marten found Delilah attractive, and that attractiveness is purely in the eye of the beholder?

If we accept that attractiveness is purely in the eye of the beholder, then how are we supposed to make people feel uncomfortable with their bodies or their preferences?  If we accept that people are attracted in innumerable ways to innumerable attributes, then how can we create a hierarchy of attractiveness to be packaged and sold to insecure people?  How can we hold people to impossible and sometimes contradictory standards both in personal appearance and the appearance of their partner/s? 

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

If we accept that attractiveness is purely in the eye of the beholder, then how are we supposed to make people feel uncomfortable with their bodies or their preferences?  If we accept that people are attracted in innumerable ways to innumerable attributes, then how can we create a hierarchy of attractiveness to be packaged and sold to insecure people?  How can we hold people to impossible and sometimes contradictory standards both in personal appearance and the appearance of their partner/s? 

Tell them they aren't wearing enough hats.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

JRDelirio

• Plantmonster

Geez, what a fascinating bunch of intertwined conversations!

Marten and Faye are so close that it's almost like talking to himself. He can think out loud around her.

Y'know what, I would find that interpretation of it entirely plausible.  Or he initially intended to give a short-answer just-the-facts and change the subject version but then could not stop himself from going on about it.  We have seen something like it happen to other characters (Sven).

We already had reason to believe that the zipless hookup is not Marten's thing.  When Faye and Dora had their moment of "oh, we did not really mean for you to take our advice", instead of their cavalier "that would be boring" the thoughtful answer would have been "but one way to figure out what you want is to go out there and test the available options, not just try to work it out all in your head". 
Well, now he has tested an option and found this was not it -- check.  Some of us would even say, "check... now, next option".   But Marten being Marten, that's not how he wishes to see himself; Cossette confronted him with how he himself did not pay attention to the personal connection, and that bothers him.

Binks

• Plantmonster
  • Incoming hate

Do you guys think QC will ever be funny again?
Funny ? Whats that ? Anyone needs that ? Can one eat it ?
:mrgreen: @Binks: I guess nobody is forcing you to read QC. If you do not like it, please find another comic that is hilarious all the time. As someone said, "It is Jeph's show, we are just here for the ride".

As for myself, it is the combination of serious real life issues, strong personalities, development of storylines (Ok, perhaps a bit slow at times), and occasional hilarity that make me like the series. A bit of sci-fi technology also helps, happily it is not overused.

It's really hard to just stop reading something that you've loved for years. You've been with it for so long and you used to love it so much so you keep reading out of hope that it will get better. I don't want to just give up on it like that and it would help if the "humor" wasn't so sitcom-y. I get that there are serious times but you can be funny while being serious! Most of the strips nowadays have almost no dialogue and just show expressions or extremely lazy writing for the sake of the serious moments. It just really sucks seeing something you used to admire so much go to shit.
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2014, 10:37 by Binks »

Binks

• Plantmonster
  • Incoming hate

We wouldn't be able to do any of that stuff. Also, Tumblr wouldn't exist.

Nuclear_Nipple_Tester

• Not quite a lurker
  • yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssss

It's really hard to just stop reading something that you've loved for years. You've been with it for so long and you used to love it so much so you keep reading out of hope that it will get better. I don't want to just give up on it like that and it would help if the "humor" was so sitcom-y. I get that there are serious times but you can be funny while being serious! Most of the strips nowadays have almost no dialogue and just show expressions or extremely lazy writing for the sake of the serious moments. It just really sucks seeing something you used to admire so much go to shit.

[citation needed]
---

Binks

• Plantmonster
  • Incoming hate

I obviously need to emphasize that, that was my opinion.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

You've expressed your opinion about the comic more than once. We hear that. But it appears most of the people who read the WCDT thread may not agree and aren't interested in engaging with you about your opinion.

Nuclear_Nipple_Tester

• Not quite a lurker
  • yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssss

If the comic bothers you so deeply now,  stop reading.   No one is forcing you to come here.   

I have stopped reading comics that ceased to entertain.    "aint no big thing, yo."   People change, tastes change.    However,   it seems the vast majority here enjoy the comic.... and do no seem interested in discussing your dissenting opinion. 

"Don't feed the trolls" seems to apply here -- I'm not replying to this conversational subplot any further.

---

zmeiat_joro

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

I wonder what Marten thinks about Bohemian Like You by The Dandy Warhols.
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up