THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Double-shot Americano Coffee Facts with a dash of Comic Discussion  (Read 23730 times)

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

(This thread was split from the "Did you notice?" thread in the Comic forum. ~Loki)

Re: 1122, I would totally order a wasabi Americano at least once.

I'd certainly be curious about what all's in it, but at the bare minimum it'd have coffee and wasabi, and that taste combo does NOT sound very tasty to me...

I'd probably let a friend try one and only take a taste if they said it was good.
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2014, 00:21 by Loki »

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Don't know about a wasabi americano, but I've heard that spicy flavors and chocolate go well together, so maybe a wasabi mocha would work?
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Would wasabi and milk work, though?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Also, it's wasabi, so the burn is nasal in nature, not capsaicin-based. Typically capsaicin is what works well with chocolate.

Storel

Also, it's wasabi, so the burn is nasal in nature, not capsaicin-based. Typically capsaicin is what works well with chocolate.

Excellent point.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Is there such a thing as powdered wasabi?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Storel

I think so, but I don't see how that would make it taste any better with coffee.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Well I mean it'd be easier to stir into coffee.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

...the burn is nasal in nature...

Please, don't snort the wasabi. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male

...the burn is nasal in nature...

Please, don't snort the wasabi. 
just the thought of that makes me cringe....
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Smallest

• Curry sauce

There is, you mix it with water. I don't know how important it is to the thread but just so y'all know

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Well I mean if you mix that into an Americano that's a Wasabi Americano. I'd only do it to an iced one, but then again that's the only way I drink them anyway.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Storel

So what's an Americano? No habla Starbucks.  :wink:

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Ha, that's not just a Starbucks thing. An Americano is just espresso and water.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

We call that a Long Black in Oz. Last time someone walked in to my cafe and asked for an Americano I actually did say no habla Starbucks. We don't even have a Starbucks in my state (Thank god)
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I'm trying to imagine a Jalapeno Mocha.

I'm cringing at the thought.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

A mocha with cayenne pepper sounds delicious.

LJFelix, what do you call a red eye? (Coffee with an added shot of espresso)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker

LJFelix, what do you call a red eye? (Coffee with an added shot of espresso)
Just a double-shot+ whatever the rest of the drink was. Or triple shot, or EDL strength (4 shot). Pretty straightforward.
(Last one is more of a personal one - friend of mine called EDL used to order so many quadruple-shot lattes, it became her nickname)
Any other Coffee Americanisms (or should that be izms?) for me?
~She/Her/They/Them~

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Well no, just one shot with coffee. So you'd call it "coffee+shot"? No particular name for it?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker

you're gonna have to spell it out. there's already one shot in a coffee. Or are you talking about an espresso which is just one shot of coffee?
~She/Her/They/Them~

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Coffee is basically less concentrated espresso. And espresso is basically more concentrated coffee. (Well, a particular type of bean, but yeah) So a red eye is a cup of coffee with a shot of espresso to make it stronger.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker

Coffee is basically less concentrated espresso. And espresso is basically more concentrated coffee. (Well, a particular type of bean, but yeah) So a red eye is a cup of coffee with a shot of espresso to make it stronger.
So what you call a coffee we call a weak espresso. That no-one ever orders ever. Espresso can be either Arabica or Robusta. (Most of what people consume in instant coffee and large-franchise coffee shops is Robusta as it is cheaper, hardier and has a higher caffeine content). There are also tens of sub-varieties of each bean, including Kopi Luwak - a type of Robusta that is partially digested by the Asian Palm Civet (type of wild cat). People pay mad sums of money for cat-shit coffee.
~She/Her/They/Them~

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

Well no, just one shot with coffee. So you'd call it "coffee+shot"? No particular name for it?

"Red eye" is an OK name for a shot in a brewed coffee and I guess it's pretty standard, but I prefer "Shot in the Dark" or "Depth Charge". 

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Shot in the Dark is also used here, but Depth Charge is strictly an alcoholic beverage (a shot of something dropped in a beer).

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker

Alright, then answer me this. DO you have a name for an espresso shot poured over ice? (Not crushed)
~She/Her/They/Them~

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

By itself? No, just iced espresso. If you add water to it though, it's an iced americano.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker

hmm. to us, an iced espresso has milk as well, plus a scoop of icecream.

This thread should be renamed Double-shot Americano Coffee Facts with a dash of Comic Discussion
~She/Her/They/Them~

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Ugh, when I was in Israel I went several places and asked for an iced coffee (wanting ice and coffee and NOTHING ELSE) and got served some frappucino like thing. Thankfully I saw it before they charged me for it and told them no, not that, but damn it.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker

Yeah an iced coffee will mean with milk and icecream here. Some people (god forbid) cover it with cream and caramel and all other such monstrosities, but the best way for an iced coffee made that way is for a double shot of esppresso, dash of milk, blended with icecream and a tiny bit of ice (such that it isn't crunchy like a frappe, but more like eating liquid coffee icecream)
mmm...icecream.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

See, that doesn't make sense. It's fine to have it like that, but why would "iced coffee" mean anything other than ice and damn coffee?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker

probably the same reason ice cream isn't just ice and cream. Because the english language is weird.

Sidenote: Whoo 100th Post :parrot:
~She/Her/They/Them~

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

Sorry, we only serve damn coffee on Tuesdays.

I would think a better name for an ice-cream-coffee thingy would be "ice cream coffee" rather than "iced coffee", since it's not ice that's in it.

And, thinking of traveling around the world... one of the things I really liked about Brazil was that even the gas station coffee there beat the hell out of Starbucks.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

...well played, clerks.

(As long as they'll remake it how I like it if it turns out they put other stuff in it, I'm ok with that, I guess)

Cesium makes a good point, and also I gotta go to Brazil someday.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

I haven't heard this song for about fifty years, but it seems apt.  (Especially the line "they put coffee in their coffee in Brazil")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJIrDkzfIqo&feature=kp
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

So what you call a coffee we call a weak espresso. That no-one ever orders ever.

Er. not quite. I don't mean to sound patronizing, but there's some pretty serious misunderstandings going on here.

"Espresso" is coffee beans, very finely ground and then extracted at high pressure with steam about 15-20 grams at a time. Very tricky to get right and important to have the right equipment. You end up with a small shot (~1 oz/25 ml) that can be drunk by itself or mixed into other drinks. It's thick, syrupy, and contains lots of flavor and volatile oils and stuff when done right.

Espresso shot: you drink it straight out of the machine, default is a "double" but ordering a quad isn't unusual. My place serves shots with a glass of seltzer water but the big chain stores usually don't. You can buy it separately from their drink cooler.

Kinds of drinks on the American market vary a lot by region and by store. I go to a place that's very strict on its sizes... chain stores generally allow you to order small/medium/large of any drink, regardless of the format.

Macchiato: this term varies widely from shop to shop. my place serves a small cup with approximately 2 ounces of espresso and 2 ounces of steamed milk. Chain stores make this a big cup of hot milk with a little bit of espresso in it and add other syrups to it. A "caramel macchiato" is a bunch of steamed milk, several pumps of Torani syrup, and whipped cream on top with caramel sauce drizzled over the top of that--basically a milkshake with espresso thrown in

Cappucino: at my shop this is a 6 ounce drink with your espresso shot and the rest filled with steamed milk. Chain stores make this half-milk, half-foam with the espresso shot thrown in.

Latte: my place serves 10 oz drink with your espresso shot and the rest filled with steamed milk, at chain stores this is basically a Cappucino with no foam.

Americano: An espresso shot (double or quad) into which has been poured on top of a cup of very hot water (you pick the size). It gives the extra volatiles that come out of the espresso extraction process, but more diluted so you can savor it.

Edit: Reading further, the terminology is more precise: An americano usually is mixed. a "Long black" is espresso poured on top with the crema left intact. If you don't mix it, the espresso tends to stay on the top giving you a strength gradient as you drink it. My place doesn't distinguish and always serves a long black even if you order an americano.

"what we call Coffee" is more coarsely ground coffee beans, then extracted at (usually) ambient pressure with water just below boiling usually between 195-205F. You end up with 6-10 ounces (or way more) of more of a rounded or mellow flavored but still strong drink. Strength depends on which method of extraction you use and how much coffee you use. At home I use a french press, 2 oz/60 grams of coarsely ground coffee to about 20oz (600ml) of water and I let it steep for about 4 minutes.

Chain stores use a big drip machine with lots of coffee to brew it by the gallon. Quality and strength can vary widely depending on who's making it.

Most anything above can be served iced, particularly in the summertime. I don't usually find that an iced coffee or iced latte implies ice cream has been added.

Espresso over ice is sometimes forbidden because some people will then take it to the condiments bar and pour cream into it thereby getting a higher-priced drink for less money. Also, some purist shops say that the espresso is damaged by the ice and won't do it because they don't want you to mess up their coffee.

A redeye does sound like you've augmented a cup of coffee with espresso.  You might want to do this at a chain store you knew had weak coffee or if you wanted to add the extra volatiles of an espresso pull to your coffee.

Espresso is higher in caffeine and flavor per ounce than coffee, but you usually end up drinking more coffee so your total serving ends up giving you more caffeine.

wow this post got long... does this help? anything else I can clear up?
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2014, 15:06 by FunkyTuba »

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

One reason the macchiato varies so much: macchiato means "marked" or "stained", the question is what's being marked...

a caffe macchiato is mostly coffee marked with milk
a latte macchiato is mostly milk marked with coffee

Chain stores tend to mean the latter. a "caramel macchiato" is more precisely "a latte macchiato with caramel flavors added"

Storel

So what you call a coffee we call a weak espresso. That no-one ever orders ever.

"Espresso" is coffee beans, very finely ground and then extracted at high pressure with steam about 15-20 grams at a time. Very tricky to get right and important to have the right equipment. You end up with a small shot (~1 oz/25 ml) that can be drunk by itself or mixed into other drinks. It's thick, syrupy, and contains lots of flavor and volatile oils and stuff when done right.

"what we call Coffee" is more coarsely ground coffee beans, then extracted at (usually) ambient pressure with water just below boiling usually between 195-205F. You end up with 6-10 ounces (or way more) of more of a rounded or mellow flavored but still strong drink. Strength depends on which method of extraction you use and how much coffee you use. At home I use a french press, 2 oz/60 grams of coarsely ground coffee to about 20oz (600ml) of water and I let it steep for about 4 minutes.

Exactly. Basically, "coffee" is what you make in a standard drip coffee maker, like a Mr Coffee. "Espresso" is what you make in an espresso machine.

Are there really places that have forgotten what just plain coffee is??

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I make coffee in my cheap French press. I usually cold brew it when I feel like making it, but I don't drink coffee enough for it to be worth the fridge space.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

Up your game fellow coffee drinkers: http://www.funraniumlabs.com/the-black-blood-of-the-earth

Hmmm, I'm thinking of getting into cold brew, but I don't know If I want to get that into it. 

Time to buy a new French press though. 

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Yeah, cold brewing can be pretty easy.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

Looking further into that site GarandMarine posted, I'm starting to get curious about that.  Has anyone here tried this Black Blood of the Earth? 

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

That stuff sounds... dangerous. I'm almost tempted to drop $50 on a sampler. I could probably make each test tube last 4 days or more if it's as strong as it sounds like it is...

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

Up your game fellow coffee drinkers: http://www.funraniumlabs.com/the-black-blood-of-the-earth
Quote from: From GarandMarine's link
(as a physics major, which is tantamount to a degree in abstinence, my condoms had gone decidely unused).
Yeah... pretty much...

Storel

Quote from: From GarandMarine's link
(as a physics major, which is tantamount to a degree in abstinence, my condoms had gone decidely unused).
Yeah... pretty much...

Computer science majors have the same problem...  :-P too much time spent on homework to have much (i.e., any) social life.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

I concur
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Shot in the Dark is also used here, but Depth Charge is strictly an alcoholic beverage (a shot of something dropped in a beer).

OK, had to chime in on this.  a shot dropped into a beer is a boilermaker.  See, steam boilers are double containers - the larger container holds the fire and the smaller one inside it holds the steam.  Like a shot glass inside a beer glass. 

Then again, two of my degrees are from Purdue, home of the boilermakers.  The first football team (1891) was reputed to have workers from the local Monon rail shops on the front line.  Literal boiler makers. 

The statue outside the stadium commemorates this - the jersey's not part of the statue, but it's usually wearing one. 

When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I've heard both "boilermaker" and "depth charge" to describe a shot inside a beer.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

My housemate has the most delicious instant coffee I have ever tasted but it's nescafe :(
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

If it's delicious why is it bad? Sometimes you gotta tell your inner snob to be quiet :roll:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up