THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Double-shot Americano Coffee Facts with a dash of Comic Discussion  (Read 23740 times)

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

I think it has more to do with the fact that Nestle is a terrible, terrible company. I try to avoid their products too for ethical reasons, but they just have so much stuff!
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Is it? What have they done?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Metope

I don't have any good sources right now since I'm about to head out, but I believe child labour is one of them. There's loads more stuff though, I bet wiki will have a list of accusations at least.

Edit: I know Wikipedia is a pretty lazy source, but they have a list of criticism and controversy at least. I can dig around and find more reliable stuff later.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Because Nestlé kill African babies? I'm not a snob about anything, bro.

Well, they don't kill them per se.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Oh man please don't get me started on how much I despise Nestle.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

So nice to see the thread I inadvertently helped create is still active  :laugh:

So I need some help naming a drink here - A woman at work today asked for what was essentially a quadruple-shot of espresso with a few spoonfuls of textured milk on top. My question is, would you call that a gigantic caffe macchiato, or what? Seriously, I'm at a loss here.
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Metope

I'd go for Caffe macchiato, extreme edition.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

It's a Quad Kicker.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Metope

One time, when I worked at a cafe and was really bored I decided to take a regular sized cup and see how many shots of espresso could fit in it. The answer is eight, so I named it the octospresso... Then I drank it and hoooo boy. Never again.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Could you taste color?
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

One time, when I worked at a cafe and was really bored I decided to take a regular sized cup and see how many shots of espresso could fit in it. The answer is eight, so I named it the octospresso... Then I drank it and hoooo boy. Never again.
I once got a job working in the photo department of a pharmacy. I was used to staying up until 7AM. I had to start work at 7AM the first week. The night before, I thought "I should go to bed oh wait it's 6AM" so I showered and went to work. This was Monday morning. I got through the day fine (I was 20, all nighters were no big deal). So that night I figured I'd go to bed early since I was up for over a day and oh wait it's 6AM I gotta get ready for work. So I went to Starbucks on the way and got a venti cup with ice and 10 shots of espresso. I'm pretty sure I started to hallucinate a bit once I hit hour 50 awake, but shockingly I kept that job for nearly a year.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

quadruple-shot of espresso with a few spoonfuls of textured milk on top. My question is, would you call that a gigantic caffe macchiato, or what? Seriously, I'm at a loss here.

caffissimo macchiuola
pseudo-etymology:
forte->fortissimo   montagna—montagnuola

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU

Maybe you could call it a Cloudy Red Eye?

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Wish I could find a video of Fry when he drank his 100th cup of coffee and time stopped.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker

Who needs a video when you have GIFS?

~She/Her/They/Them~

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

He passed the Coffee Event Horizon.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I sent the first and third gifs around to my work colleagues on the email system as me before and after my first coffee on a Monday. Raised a few chuckles.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

What's the deal with people who like their coffee ultra hot? I mean, maybe it's because I think cold brew is the best coffee, but...why does burning yourself make you enjoy the coffee more?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker

I've never understood it either. Woman at work the other day ordered her latte "Quarter-strength, extra-extra hot". What even is that? just boiling milk?
I mean, you don't want lukewarm coffee either, but seriously, there's no need for burning your throat.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Boiling milk and a thimble of espresso?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Maybe they're transporting it elsewhere. Of course, buying it hotter will just make it colder when they arrive.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Metope

When I worked at a cafe, I'd get complains for not heating the lattes until they were scalding hot. Which is like... If you heat milk above a certain point, the molecular structure changes and you end up with a porridge-like texture and a bitter taste. There's a reason why milky coffees aren't as hot as coffee with no milk, jeez.

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

I always put a couple of ice cubes in my coffee if I can. 

I think some of the desire for super hot coffee is for when it has to be transported. 

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Honestly, I'd rather have my coffee lukewarm than hot. I'd rather have it cold than lukewarm, but if I'm drinking it for the caffeine, I'm happy if it's not too hot to gulp down.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker

Honestly, I'd rather have my coffee lukewarm than hot. I'd rather have it cold than lukewarm, but if I'm drinking it for the caffeine, I'm happy if it's not too hot to gulp down.
^ This. Then again, I no longer feel justified about bitching about customers' coffee preferences anymore, as my recent sudden unemployment in the barista profession has me somewhat down about my abilities as a creator of fine caffeinated beverages  :-(
~She/Her/They/Them~

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Again: you can't be a coffee snob then, brah. YOU DON'T EVEN LIKE COFFEE!

^ This. Then again, I no longer feel justified about bitching about customers' coffee preferences anymore, as my recent sudden unemployment in the barista profession has me somewhat down about my abilities as a creator of fine caffeinated beverages  :-(

Bet you make a bitchin' coffee, bro.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I like coffee, just not hot. Also, I'm not a coffee snob. I just think coffee should taste like coffee.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker

Oh I did make a bitchin' coffee, Gareth. But apparently people don't care what it tastes like, they only care about that latte art bullshit. Coffee should be about the fucking taste.
~She/Her/They/Them~

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

while this thread has gone on my big-ass bodum french press fell and broke on our tile floor. (moment of silence)

I've been using the smaller press. I was in a pinch for time so I got a pound of Peet's Major Dickason blend pre-ground from the supermarket, been doing it about 1.5 oz to 14 oz water. It ends up being strong buy sludgy since the pre-ground stuff from Peets is for basket.

I don't just get beans and ground at the store because invariably someone has just ground some sort of vanilla hazelnut crappyass beans in the common grinder and I hates that.

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker

I came to the realisation this morning that I haven't had a coffee in over a week.
THIS MUST BE RECTIFIED.
~She/Her/They/Them~

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Got myself a Hario Mini Mill. Can't wait to try it out, so I can finally buy whole beans. I hate how ground coffee gets worse over time. I'll buy a small pack of beans from a local roaster tomorrow.

Next step is buying a better espresso machine, as mine doesn't create enough pressure and can't keep the temperature steady enough, so the extraction time is impossible to get right. I'm thinking something like a used Saeco Aroma, should be relatively affordable (I see those for around 100€ on ebay) and they're supposed to be decent for their price.

When did I turn into an espresso snob?
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

When I was in Portugal, ordering a cup of coffee always resulted in an espresso. For a regular cup, we had to order coffee "americano", which was almost always pretty terrible by the way… we stuck to espresso for most of the trip.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

An Americano is traditionally watered down espresso, so you still might not have been getting normal joe.

Metope

Yeah, in the south of Europe, espresso is the 'normal' type of coffee, so if you order 'coffee', that's what you'll get. The term 'americano' originated during uh... one of the world wars (probably the second? My lack of knowledge of the wars is pretty embarrassing, sorry), when American soldiers were stationed there. Since they preferred their coffee more diluted than the local standard, the watery coffee we're used to was named after them.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

It was the second world war.

Watery coffee is probably not the right term. Diluted espresso (espresso in general really) and drip coffee are very different grinds and brewing styles, so they should be viewed and considered separately.

Metope

I know they're different, but I assume diluted espresso was the closest to drip they could get over there.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

So buying that mill was one of my better decisions. While my machine really, really sucks, I now get espresso which is already far better than before. But now I'll need to buy a hand tamper, as correct tampering with the machine mounted tamper is impossible.

At this point I have so much fun in working on these methods, that I'm actually considering to start working at a coffee place once I get some spare time.
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

An Americano is traditionally watered down espresso, so you still might not have been getting normal joe.

It was really the only thing that worked. I tried "CAFE NORMALE" (in a stupid faux-spanish accent) in different ways at first to no avail. Stupid coffee tourist, they thought.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch

So I've decided to start cold brewing coffee. Namely because when I tried to use my coffee maker it made some weird sounds that scared me.

I am looking forawrd to the experience, from what I've read, cold brew coffee is more up my alley. It is not as bitter and has a lighter intensity

Plus it will give me a use for my big ass Ball Mason Jar I have
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

So, uhm, I somehow bought a Gaggia Classic today. I've wanted one for a while now, and stumbled upon a used one in great condition.

Maybe I'll finally be able to make good espresso at home!

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

I finally found my coffee grinder and my beans, so I made some espresso for my flatmates today. The old machine is still absolutely sucky. It just can't produce enough pressure.

Didn't stop me from making 6 doubles this evening, drinking two of them on my own. Sheesh I'm wired.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Wasabi as hazing for new sushi eaters is a ritual that should be left undisturbed. It's tradition damnit.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

What sort of hazing? Having them eat it? Because...I do that anyway. It's tasty :parrot:

Also, to the people who say you shouldn't mix wasabi and soy sauce...why? The result is spicy soy sauce, which is also tasty.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I discovered a few months back you can make a pretty tasty latte using instant coffee if you boil milk for it on the stove and add in some sugar.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

So do you use water, too, or just stir the instant coffee into the boiled milk?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

The latter. Sometimes I'll put the instant coffee into the milk before it's actually boiling. It seems to permeate the milk better that way. And sometimes the sugar too.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Cool, I might try that! Without the sugar though.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

You'll need slightly more milk and sugar than would normally fill your cup, because some of it evaporates.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up