THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 01:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No Jeph! Don't test my heartings! (Apocalyptica)  (Read 5083 times)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/

So, right, I own all Apocalyptica's major albums and have seen them live.

We have seen there are disagreers with Mr. Jacques on the jam bands isssue, who disagrees with our esteemed comic artiste on the issue of Apocalyptica not being absolutely bloody super-awesome?

Anyone else a fan of their original and classical material? 'Beyond Time', 'Path' (and Path 2) and 'The Hall of the Mountain King' always stick out for me in particular.

My goodness, Hall of the Mountain King live was so damn intense.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
No Jeph! Don't test my heartings! (Apocalyptica)
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2005, 08:23 »

i really like apocalyptica.

Addius

« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2005, 09:09 »

They got something they could build something with, definetly.

Their version of "The hall of the mountain king" was really good.. I've heard better but to challenge one of Edvard Griegs masterpieces is not something easily done.

-sam

« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2005, 09:24 »

I've only heard their Metallica cover album, and sad to say, but I have to agree with Jeph.  The concept sounds a lot better than the execution.  Now taking on more traditional cello fair they might be the bomb, but that would require more effort than I'm willing to expend to find out. :)

-sam

mizaktik

« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2005, 10:05 »

I love these guys so much.  I just find the entire concept to be genius, and thus I can forgive them thier flaws.  The main flaw being that, except for a key exceptional songs, their rather mediocre(**forgive my spelling if that's wrong).

The idea *I* get when I think of these guys, is a bunch of Fins sitting in a room in the middle of a Finnish winter, and then one says, "Ya know what'd be cool.... Playing some metal on our cellos"  and thus was born Apocolyptica.  
I have no idea if this story has any basis in reality, and I can't check *right* now, but I'm pretty sure they are Finnish.

Schmung

« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2005, 10:15 »

I likies Apocalyptica, I also very much like Bloc Party. I'd be greatly offended I'm sure, but I'm so bloody knackered after work that I can't find the energy to be that petty.

El Opium

« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2005, 11:55 »

I've not cared cared about bands Jeph has griped about so far. Jam bands deserve it. I share his opinion on Bloc Party and I don't know much about Apocalyptica though it seems like everyone bases their opinion of them on the fact that they covered Metallica. I'm anticipating an attack on Wolf Eyes or some other noise type band pretty soon though.

BusterKeaton

Everyman
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2005, 13:57 »

I was never a huge fan of Apocalyptica but there Tool covers were really great, Tho i agree with jeph metallica covers? no thank you. I do find it funny that people are getting offended becuase of the comic, Im a big fan of the bloc party, Ive read all that NME and Pitchfork and any other elitist rag has to offer. And it got me thinking about a great woody allen film called Zelig, Google it if you want to know what im talking about, Basically its about the human nature to conform. Just because someone thinks your favourite band is cliche dont take it as a personal insult.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2005, 14:22 »

Meh, I liked their Metallica covers. It's not like they covered any particularly crap metallica songs. Sure, they did the Black Album singles to get some sales, but their versions of 'Master of Puppets' and 'Creeping Death' in particular are rather nice.

Btw Buster, you don't actually like Apocalyptica then, the Tool covers are badly attributed p2p files.

But seriously, anyone who's only heard their metallica covers is seriously recommended to download 'Beyond Time', either of the versions of 'Path' (Path 2 with the singing is pretty sweet), 'Harmageddon' and the epic 'Deathzone'.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Robbo

« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2005, 14:58 »

Indeed, those Tool covers will be from Anotomica/Metamorphic (The String Quartet Tribute to Tool, Vol 1/2) or  Third Eye Open: String Tribute To Tool.

While the Metallica covers are fun, they difinatly come into their own more with original stuff.

BusterKeaton

« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2005, 19:27 »

Ahh disculpame, I appreciate the polite correction i was led astray by my older brother, Who simply gave me a blank CD with "apocalyptica" on it.
So yeah i guess i dont like apocalyptica, I dont blame them tho just there subject matter.

niatinari

« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2005, 22:27 »

Isn't Hope Volume 2 also theirs, or am I mistaken?

Robbo

« Reply #12 on: 27 May 2005, 00:55 »

Indeed it is one of theirs.

zekterellium

« Reply #13 on: 27 May 2005, 01:20 »

what little i've heard of apocalyptica has been pretty mundane, but i hate metallica, so anyone messing with their sound a bit get's my thumbs up, you know? anyone want to definitely say "_____ is a good song and you will like it"? that'd help me out a little.

mizaktik

« Reply #14 on: 27 May 2005, 06:47 »

Apocalyptica's song of songs, as I think many would agree, is In the Hall of the Mountain King.  It's a great version of the song.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #15 on: 27 May 2005, 17:24 »

Quote from: zekterellium
what little i've heard of apocalyptica has been pretty mundane, but i hate metallica, so anyone messing with their sound a bit get's my thumbs up, you know? anyone want to definitely say "_____ is a good song and you will like it"? that'd help me out a little.

I already said! Path (either version) BEYOND TIME, deathzone, harmageddon and hall of the mlhuntain king. YEAH

Musasa

« Reply #16 on: 27 May 2005, 18:08 »

I love Apocalyptica, and I'm a HUGE Metallica fan, but I think their 'Tallica tribute album is pretty weak.  however, their original stuff is INCREDIBLE.

Hostile

« Reply #17 on: 28 May 2005, 17:06 »

I've got all the albums, and will have seen them live in about 15 days. :D Download Festival, tbfh.

They're awesome. No dispute. I'll have to get a t-shirt while I'm there...
Pages: [1]   Go Up