THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prog rock?  (Read 17160 times)

Robbo

Prog rock?
« Reply #50 on: 28 May 2005, 06:27 »

With Prog, you more have to worry about high-soaring vocals that sound like the vocalist leather pants are crushing his balls.

Growling only happens in Extreme music and I dont think anyone was gonna suggest throwinng Exterme Prog at you. As like, it's not Prog Rock for a start.

_grace_

Prog rock?
« Reply #51 on: 28 May 2005, 06:28 »

thank god.

Robbo

Prog rock?
« Reply #52 on: 28 May 2005, 06:32 »

Thank you so much for that reaction. Some of us happen to be growling along to Opeth right now. :P

And hey, growling makes for more fun vocal solos as well.

_grace_

Prog rock?
« Reply #53 on: 28 May 2005, 06:45 »

we're all entitled to our own opinion- and it's always good to see someone sticking up for their tastes but not getting bitchy about it!

Robbo

Prog rock?
« Reply #54 on: 28 May 2005, 06:56 »

Heh, bitchy arguements can be FAR more fun than nicey nicey stuff. But that's for other boards I guess. Still, I can't see you havning heard much Extreme Prog, so you can't comment too much.

So go listen to the last stuff that Psiogen and others suggest maybe and say what you think. Unless you're a dive in at the deep end person.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Prog rock?
« Reply #55 on: 28 May 2005, 07:05 »

Quote from: Robbo
Let's see, all of Images and Words.  All the long sweeping instrumental sections, all the style changes, the drum, keyboard and bass wankery. The self-referencing lyrical and musical ideas and evolution of songs. And all that crap that it's fair to early for me to explain and make sense.

I just never saw them as all that progressive. Also, I searched both their site and the Wikipedia of them, waiting for some explanation as to why they were "the most revolutionary prog metal band in our time", and came up with nothing.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Robbo

Prog rock?
« Reply #56 on: 28 May 2005, 07:09 »

Quote from: Robbo
But then, there are better Prog Metal bands out there. Dream Theater have become the Slayer of Prog Metal (can't think of a more fitting example)

As I said, they're NOT. Bands like Pagan's Mind surpass them easily. They're just the easy face from Prog Metal that most Metal fans get into before branching out into other lesser know and even better bands. It's like I said, you start with Slayer and move onto stuff like Dark Angel.

Hector Gilbert

Prog rock?
« Reply #57 on: 28 May 2005, 11:53 »

What is extreme prog?

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Prog rock?
« Reply #58 on: 28 May 2005, 11:56 »

prog to the XTREEEEEEEEME!!!!!111one

Brought to you by Mountain Dew and Doritos.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Robbo

Prog rock?
« Reply #59 on: 28 May 2005, 12:31 »

Serious answer....Progressive Extreme Music...Prog Death, Prog Black, Prog Grind, etc.

Bands like Opeth, Pan.Thy.Monium, Scholomance, Human A.D., Ancient Rites, Vintersorg, Borknagar, etc, etc....all that stuff.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Prog rock?
« Reply #60 on: 28 May 2005, 16:38 »

Oh man. Ancient Rites rock my face so hard, that I often need a new face.

fo' real.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Prog rock?
« Reply #61 on: 28 May 2005, 17:10 »

Don't forget Tarantula Hawk. Prog meets power violence, and since they're such nice guys they stick entire albums up on their site for download.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Robbo

Prog rock?
« Reply #62 on: 28 May 2005, 17:16 »

Free albums? Leeching time!

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Prog rock?
« Reply #63 on: 28 May 2005, 17:41 »

In case anyone else is interesting in several albums of excellent free music, the link's http://www.tarantulahawk.org/
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

banev

Prog rock?
« Reply #64 on: 29 May 2005, 04:13 »

Well, the best prog band ever might be Pain Of Salvation. They are so fuckin awesome, especially "The Perfect Element I" and "Remedy Lane". Never heard anything more emotional AND proggy at one time. But beware, their last record, "Be", is rather weak, it lacks those incredible melodies the others have.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Prog rock?
« Reply #65 on: 29 May 2005, 08:05 »

What other prog bands sound like Magma? I got hold of 'Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh' yesterday and it's fantastic! I need more music like this.

Robbo

Prog rock?
« Reply #66 on: 29 May 2005, 08:15 »

From what I've read...Magma took things in their own direction...Zeuhl they called it. Shub-Niggurath, Kultivator, Lagger Blues Machine, Eskaton, Universal Totem Orchestra where apprently some of the bands that followed their style.

However, that comes from a website (progarchives.com) or it may or may not be complete shit. Best I can say in try to check out those bands and see if they fit style wise, if they do, then they're probably what you're looking for.

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
Prog rock?
« Reply #67 on: 29 May 2005, 09:41 »

http://muse.cream.org/bill/bewild12.mp3

bill bailey's take on prog rock

i love it
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

La Creme

Prog rock?
« Reply #68 on: 29 May 2005, 09:59 »

I personally think Instrumental Prog / Prog Fusion is the best of Prog.

Liquid Tension Experiment, Gordian Knot, Transatlantic, Derek Sherinian's solo stuff, and his work with Planet X, and along those lines, space-rock magicians Sons Of Otis.

Prog would be a much better form of music if the singer's stopped being whiney bitches.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Prog rock?
« Reply #69 on: 29 May 2005, 10:33 »

Quote from: El-Rodente
http://muse.cream.org/bill/bewild12.mp3

I am in bloody awe.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Robbo

Prog rock?
« Reply #70 on: 29 May 2005, 10:40 »

Heh, Bill Bailey's stuff on music always rocks. Specially the stuff on Slayer.

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
Prog rock?
« Reply #71 on: 29 May 2005, 12:00 »

it helps that he takes the piss out of U2 first

edit: have a video

http://muse.cream.org/bill/bbleg.rm
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up