Poll

Cats?

CATS!
Cats. :grumpypuss:
CATS??
KITTTEHS!
Meh.
Cat GIFs!
Hellspawn of EVIL! EVIL, do you HEAR ME??
Dogs. :wow: Such Poll.
Waffles and Pancakes.
SPATHE HAM!!!!!!
MOAR PINTSIZE!!!!
YELLING BIRD STRIPS!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2641-2645 (Feb 17 - 21 2014) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 54068 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

And here we go.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Back to Dale/Farmer? Sticking with Marten? A third option? TIME WILL TELL.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

If you were wondering, here is the recipe for Dale/Farmer pancakes
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier

Would Marigold be okay with Dale sharing the news like that?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Who said he's sharing anything? Just that he's happy (and if anyone asks, he'll probably give the relationship as the reason, not the sex).

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

Marigold could do a lot worse. Dale could do a lot worse. That's all I'm saying.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Do you have a reciepie for self-raising flour? It is flour and baking powder, I think, but how much of each?
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Ah, I thought it was a mix of flour and magic.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

That's right, Marten. Just take your coffee and go home to take a shower. If you are feeling bad, it does not help to see other people happy.

Where is Marigold? Perhaps she sent Dale to get coffee for the pancakes? Otherwise, I should imagine they would stay in bed all day, unless Dale is coming to work. If so, Faye should give him sick leave because of emotional overload.

EDIT: Besides, happy baristas would be bad for CoD's reputation.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.

Why is Dale farting little pink hearts… that are levitating him?
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

The Smile.

Why is it that being around happy people makes bad moods worse but that it's mood-elevating to be around happy dogs and cats?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

Sharing? Ok, there may be an inference. Ok, a very strong inference.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

Why is it that being around happy people makes bad moods worse but that it's mood-elevating to be around happy dogs and cats?
Simple: Dogs and cats don't talk to you.

JohnTheWysard

• Emoticontraindication

Well, average Dale and Marten and it's a pretty ordinary day.

(looking at Dale again)

Ok, a pretty nice day.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Sure they do.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Sure they do.
Well, my cat doesn't talk much, but she has body language that indicates if she is happy or not.

As to why: It is difficult to be envious on dogs and cats, but other people's success may make you envious. I am not saying it is a good thing, but it is the way the human mind works.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

Do you have a reciepie for self-raising flour? It is flour and baking powder, I think, but how much of each?

See http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/glossary/baking-powder
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Why is Dale farting little pink hearts… that are levitating him?

What, that's never happened to you?

God, you must be weird or something  :mrgreen:
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page

I suppose how you feel depends on several factors:

I find that, most of the time, my friends being happy makes me happy but not all the time.  In my case, most of the time, the love I feel for those close to me is greater than any competitive impulses.  Most of the time their successes make me feel happy for them.

However, that's not all the time.  It's known that in social interactions people tend to get on best with those who are in a similar emotional state.  I know that sometimes, when I'm really down, being around someone chirpy just serves to remind me how separate I am from their life and can enhance the feeling of isolation that comes when a person is down.

Dogs pay attention to their pack so being around a dog means that you know that there's someone who cares.  Being around a cat is different because a cat is uninterested in your state so trying to work out what it wants brings you out of yourself.
Francisco

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Dogs pay attention to their pack so being around a dog means that you know that there's someone who cares.  Being around a cat is different because a cat is uninterested in your state so trying to work out what it wants brings you out of yourself.
True. Cats only have self-interest. They (sometimes) like to be scratched, they want food, and they want a nice place to sleep. Other than that, they don't give a damn about you. Basically, they are parasites, traditionally tolerated by humans because they occasionally catch worse parasites (mice).  Still, there must be some reason why we still keep cats today. I suspect it is only because they are cute.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

People are happy near you, thereby creating a contrast between their happiness and your unhappiness that makes the latter seem more stark for the comparison.

Dogs are happy with you, pooling their happiness with your unhappiness to create an improved average between the two.

Cats are happy at your expense. Because cats are dicks.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

People are happy near you, thereby creating a contrast between their happiness and your unhappiness that makes the latter seem more stark for the comparison.

Dogs are happy with you, pooling their happiness with your unhappiness to create an improved average between the two.

Cats are happy at your expense. Because cats are dicks.

I've known a few cats that had some empathy.  Cats will often seek out the most distressed looking person in the room to go and comfort them.

Often, this person is distressed because they've just seen a cat, and they are horribly allergic to cats. 

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Ah, I thought it was a mix of flour and magic.
And the awkward unexpected pubic hair.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Ahh. Time for another musical, now with Dale performing. It has been a while since last time. Are the heart-farts real? Is Dale really floating across the floor? Do we have a new antigravity theory? Or is it all inside Jeph's head? (Duh! Of course it is inside Jeph's head.)

judemorrigan

• Balloon animal serial killer

True. Cats only have self-interest. They (sometimes) like to be scratched, they want food, and they want a nice place to sleep. Other than that, they don't give a damn about you.
Cats get a bum rap.  While it's a common enough stereotype, it doesn't really match my experience with a good many of the critters.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Indeed. Cats are more independent creatures than dogs, but this popular portrayal of them being self interested assholes is blown out of proportion and supported by people who treat them like that. Cats can be every bit as loving and supportive as dogs can be. And dogs can be as aloof and disinterested as cats are portrayed. It's all in how they are raised and treated.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Cats only have self-interest. They (sometimes) like to be scratched, they want food, and they want a nice place to sleep. Other than that, they don't give a damn about you.

This is actually true of a lot of people too.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

Sure they do.

Not in the same way humans do... Which I think it was clear in my previous post (unless your post was a joke I just missed).

As to why: It is difficult to be envious on dogs and cats, but other people's success may make you envious. I am not saying it is a good thing, but it is the way the human mind works.
This is more or less my opinion.

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.

Afterglow hearts: renewable energy source??
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

Indeed. Cats are more independent creatures than dogs, but this popular portrayal of them being self interested assholes is blown out of proportion and supported by people who treat them like that. Cats can be every bit as loving and supportive as dogs can be. And dogs can be as aloof and disinterested as cats are portrayed. It's all in how they are raised and treated.

Exactly. I discovered this when my first wife was laid off for six months. Her cat had always been kind of aloof and distant, as with the usual stereotype, but after having my wife home all day for a while the cat  got much more friendly and sociable -- and she was an adult cat (five or six years old IIRC) at the time.

My second wife has had six cats since I've known her, two of whom are still alive, and all six were pretty friendly and social, in part because she's always been very loving and affectionate toward all of them, but also in part because my wife became disabled shortly after we first moved in together (before we were even engaged), and she hasn't been able to work since (almost 14 years now). So, again, they had at least one adult home all the time, and our present two cats have had both of us at home all the time for their whole lives (I telecommute from home as a computer programmer these days) and are extremely affectionate and snuggly.

My theory is that the "aloof, distant" cats are that way because they're alone in the house for anywhere from 8-16 hours a day while their owners are commuting, working, and possibly socializing after work. If you were alone that much of the time, wouldn't you get pretty self-sufficient too? I think it's basically a "fine, if you're going to leave me alone that much, I'll leave you alone too when you're home" kind of thing.

Just my experience, YMMV, but it's my experience with seven different cats over multiple decades, so I suspect it's reasonably valid. Of course, any cat that was abused or feral before you got it will probably be an exception to the above.

Zwammy

• Obscure cultural reference

Because cats and dogs are robust wide field emitters of happiness pheromones, and the effect is amplified through physical contact with the animals. Soft fur adaptations have occurred to encourage contact - it's a symbiotic relationship, humans feed and care for the animals in return.
"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

In other words:

They're fuzzy!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier

It's actually been shown that cats - while not as overt as dogs at times - do show their affection for humans in different ways. I've heard a few counts where they became quite protective of their owners. One of my friends in college has a cat as a service animal, too.

Sharing? Ok, there may be an inference. Ok, a very strong inference.

Guilty. I was tired, it was like 1 am. 

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Schwungrad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

If the difference in happiness is rather small, being around happy people can make you happier too. If the difference is large, however, you expect them to show some empathy to you. If they are happy while you are depressed, it might often enough feel like "they're too busy with being happy to care about my worries". From a cat or a dog, you expect no empathy, and seeing how they just lead their happy lives, completely unable to even understand your human worries, might put those worries into some perspective.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Remember. Just because a cat is sociable doesn't mean it'd not evil.

Srxjo

• Plantmonster
  • 死神

Remember. Just because a cat is sociable doesn't mean it'd not evil.

Same can also be said about humans, you just have to take it this way, not all cats are the same, same for dogs, you'll find ones that match the stereotypes and ones that don't, it depends all on up bringing. you can't really try to fit them into a box saying they have to be like this because chances are they're not going to be.

DrBear

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Icon being from guest comic by the Hjinks Ensue.
    • Blog about my book

Let me add my voice to the supportiveness of cats. I recently went through an unexpected and unwated job change, and I was quite down about it...and yes, both cats took special care to provide me with extra opportunities to pet them and relax.
I'm working on slashfic involving Lily from AT&T, Jan from Toyota and Jake from State Farm.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Just something I still notice: I still don't like the new layout. I like the new font size even less. Looking at the comic on my notebook looks way too zoomed in. Also there's a lot less dialogue. The current strip has less text altogether than the first panel of most older strips.

Oh and cats? I love cats.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

The Post-Valentine Storyline:

Marigold and Dale - the Afterglow.    21 (42.9%)
Or is that "Aftermath"?    5 (10.2%)
Marten isn't satisfied.    5 (10.2%)
Dora and Tai issues.    0 (0%)
Faye and Angus issues.    1 (2%)
Steve and Cosette issues.    1 (2%)
Pancakes and Waffles issues.    1 (2%)
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE SPATHE HAM?    1 (2%)
Oh, and what about Marigold's space dude?    3 (6.1%)
Claire. All the time.    4 (8.2%)
Pintsize. ALL. THE. TIME.    6 (12.2%)
YELLING BIRD STRIPS!    1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 49

And suddenly, I have an idea for a poll...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Dang, nobody's happy for Dale.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jazzmaster

• Obscure cultural reference

Making pancakes ought to be code for getting laid.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

No. No, it should not.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Dale gets a pass for this behavior in my book because he was a virgin till roughly 20 minutes ago.

At any other point though. Don't do this. You will be being that guy. No one likes that guy. In fact most people want to smash that guy's head in with a brick.

I cannot confirm a similar status for "that girl" and "that individual of fluid gender status". Members of those groups have not done the post sexin "La la la I got laid" shit at any where I've worked, but I'm sure they're out there annoying the piss out of other people.

Feminist action for the day: We as a society need more female helicopter mechanics.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier

And you guys were scorning me!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

It would indeed be terrible if female helicopters had nobody to service them.

Faye should have appreciated how much this means to Dale.
« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2014, 22:12 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Actually like most machines, all helicopters are female.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

In Portuguese, "o helicóptero" is masculine.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

bryntheskits

• Larger than most fish

And you guys were scorning me!
He never said who it was with, though it would be pretty easy to guess  :psyduck:
Hurp
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up