Poll

Cats?

CATS!
Cats. :grumpypuss:
CATS??
KITTTEHS!
Meh.
Cat GIFs!
Hellspawn of EVIL! EVIL, do you HEAR ME??
Dogs. :wow: Such Poll.
Waffles and Pancakes.
SPATHE HAM!!!!!!
MOAR PINTSIZE!!!!
YELLING BIRD STRIPS!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2641-2645 (Feb 17 - 21 2014) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 54104 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I'm hot for girls in glasses but Marigold looks awesome with them off too.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Logic?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Levity?
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Labia.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Is it bad that I've been thinking of all the unhelpful things Momo might do, such as offering to bake a tart?

EDIT: Lutefisk.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

Lexicon.

And Marigold, I think you could probably set him on fire and he'd still want to, um, date you.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Lexicon is, weirdly enough, a large part of my lexicon.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Definently Lemur.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

McSnarf

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

(New reader/poster here, after a five day diet on nothing but QC...)

Is it only me or has Marigold undergone a mysterious transition to slightly slimmer, better skin and better hair? Okay - the last we saw of her before had her under the effects of medication and a rash, but...

Karilyn

• Emoticontraindication

I feel the need to chime in on the cat's having empathy thing.

We have a cat that's scared of literally everything.  She spends most of the day hiding under the couch.  She suffers from a really bad anxiety disorder, you can easily read it on her (and the vet has given us an anti-anxiety medicine that helps some when she takes it).  She won't come near anybody for any reason out of sheer fear.  With one single exception.  I myself suffer from some rather extreme depression at times, and whenever I get soul crushingly destroyed by chemical imbalances in my own brain, and cannot escape the thick mucking mud of despair, when it feels like I'm trying to swim on a different planet under the force of multiple Gs... That's when that goddamn cat will decide she's not scared anymore, and will timidly approach me, curl up next to me, and let me pet her.  When she sees someone in despair, she'll choke back that anxiety and fear, and realize someone needs her more than she needs to be afraid.  That cat is empathetic as hell.

Also.

Marigold is the only person who has sex with someone and wakes up with BETTER hair.  Seriously, WTF just happened?  Does Dale-sex work as a moisturizing hair conditioner?

... ew

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

@McSnarf - Not that mysterious. She's actually taking care of herself and eating better, much better compared to before, if Hanners has anything to do with it.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

McSnarf

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

@McSnarf - Not that mysterious. She's actually taking care of herself and eating better, much better compared to before, if Hanners has anything to do with it.
Hm... Probably true long term. Also, she had a lovely night, which would probably show.

But this mysterious effect happened in something like a couple of hours.
Compare
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2637
to
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2643

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I'm not seeing a difference besides her hair and she probably just showered.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

McSnarf

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Okay, then it's probably just me! :) Thanks.

Karilyn

• Emoticontraindication

Ahhhh, that makes sense.  Marigold doesn't shower for weeks on end, that's why she looks so messy all the time.  And after she had sex with Dale she was all icky so she went and showered for once in a blue moon.  Makes sense.  I generally only shower after having sex too.  I don't know why I didn't think of that.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Wait, so how often do you shower/have sex then?

Karilyn

• Emoticontraindication

About once a week, why?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I'm just curious, because despite being a sweat fetishist, for my own hygeine I can't stand going more than two days without showering. How long have you been showering weekly?

Karilyn

• Emoticontraindication

I don't know, like, 10+ years I guess?  I don't really start getting stinky or anything until like, around 3-4 weeks.  And my hair doesn't start getting greasy until late into the second week.  So sex is just sorta a good time to shower cause I'll smell funny afterwards.

Also, you're a sweat fetishist?  And open about it too?  I like that about you already.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

More of a fluid fetishist, honestly. There's a 'TMI' thread in the Relate subsection if you want a more comprehensive (but by no means anywhere near 100% comprehensive) list of my paraphilias.

I've just realised the amusing irony of being a sweat fetishist and yet wanting to be clean all the time except during and after fucking.

Karilyn

• Emoticontraindication

TBH I'm basically a fluid fetishist too.  And it's not really that ironic.  I'm more or less a fat fetishist, and yet I fall in and out of being anorexic all the time.  Though that's more due to social pressures to be skinny that somehow override my personal knowledge that skinnier doesn't make someone more attractive.  Uh, I think we have just TMI'd this thread far more than we should have.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

We may well have done, which is why I recommended the other thread  :mrgreen:

Also, this forum is a beautiful supportive place, and if you ever need any advice or support for dealing with your anorexia, or even just a shoulder to (virtually) cry on, the Relate subsection is great for that too.

If ya wanna.

Karilyn

• Emoticontraindication

Naw I'm cool, I have four wonderful partners who punch me upside the head if I start trying to not eat enough.  No offense darling, but that's a lot of shoulders I have already to make me feel better.  All long-term crippling chemical imbalances aside, my life is pretty good right now, don't let the mentioning of depression cat empathy get ya down.  It's something that we've all sorta come to understand, that sometimes I'm just going to be sad, and that's okay and nobody else needs to feel bad or inadequate simply because I have a chemical imbalance which causes me to sometimes experience unexplainable uncontrollable despair that will eventually go away as suddenly as it arrives.  And in-between those times, I get to experience all the joys and happiness of getting to be surrounded by friends.  And besides, while it's still uncontrollable and unrelenting, that doesn't mean that having four partners doesn't make it easier to get through even if it won't, can't, and never will make it stop.

So yeah things are pretty good for me dawg, no sympathy needed, I apologize for making you worry.

EDIT:  Also while I'm at it, I'm glad Jeph tapped onto the "You're not a slut" thing.  Because seriously, that's so fucking common and it's getting so goddamn old.  Just listened to someone earlier this day starting to put herself down calling herself a slut because she enjoyed sex and I had to punch her in the head a few times, and then since I had already read today's QC, I ended up reciting what Momo said to her because it's pure 100% concentrated truth in a can.
« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2014, 06:45 by Karilyn »

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

It wasn't sympathy, it was empathy - people have to want sympathy to get it in my experience ;) I'm glad you have a support system, because a lot of people on here don't. Hopefully one day it will be gone completely, as much as such a thing can be gone (as someone with depression I know that sometimes these things just don't go away...).

I agree that it's a positive that Jeph put that in there. There is still this strange perception that having sex and enjoying it is against the rules somehow.

Karilyn

• Emoticontraindication

Going 15 years strong, it's probably not going away *laughs*  But just because it isn't going to ever go away, doesn't mean I haven't been learning new ways of coping with it.  One of the more... monumental discoveries in my life was coming to understand that neither I, nor anybody else, should feel guilty for me being depressed, and not being able to make me happy when I am depressed.  That the chemical imbalance is truly outside my control and immutable.  And with the discovery of that knowledge, me and my loved ones have been freed from oceans of guilty feelings about things we had no right to feel guilty about.  Such feelings of blameless guilt are truly a poison that erodes away at the soul.

---

I think the guilt and shame surrounding sex is one of the more omnipresent problems in our society, it really warps minds, and hurts so many people in so many ways, both men and women.

This.
http://imgur.com/a/DmKBm?gallery
This is a thing that so bizarrely sums it up so well.  We live in this bizarre place where we're told sex is incredible, but that we're sluts if we want it.  And where men are told sex is incredible, and that they have no value if they are virgins.  We live in this weird crazy place where we get messages that sex is some incredible amazing good thing, and some horrible evil thing that you're a bad person for wanting.  And it's such a bizarre mixed message that people have to warp their minds around to try and rationalize.  Too few people realize that the middle ground, that it's just a thing, nothing more, nothing less, and instead destroy their self-image all because they are fed this myth that sex is somehow something it's not.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I love Kat Dennings, and that gallery.

marsman57

• Emoticontraindication

Unpopular opinion: Despite my initial elation (such as what Dale is experiencing), once I rationally thought about it, I might think less of Marigold for going all the way on the first date. A lot of my reasons for being uncomfortable with it might be mitigated if I knew that previously she was a virgin though.

Edit: To be fair, I'd think less of myself too.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

(New reader/poster here, after a five day diet on nothing but QC...)

Is it only me or has Marigold undergone a mysterious transition to slightly slimmer, better skin and better hair? Okay - the last we saw of her before had her under the effects of medication and a rash, but...

Welcome, new person!

Jeph frequently changes drawing style simply because he wants to and then gets irritated when people read too much into it, but I suspect you're on to something here. Momo offered to cook more healthful meals and there are hints she's showering more often.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Unpopular opinion: Despite my initial elation (such as what Dale is experiencing), once I rationally thought about it, I might think less of Marigold for going all the way on the first date. A lot of my reasons for being uncomfortable with it might be mitigated if I knew that previously she was a virgin though.

Edit: To be fair, I'd think less of myself too.

Unless you also think less of Dale, you've got one of our culture's stupidest ideas lodged in your brain.

We know Marigold has never had a boyfriend and had never been kissed when she first appeared.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

KOK

What is this about "first date"? They have met often. They know each other well. What makes a "date" so special? What if they had had sex without ever "dating"? Would that have been worse?

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

"First Date" seems like a silly framework and set of standards for Dale and MarBear. 

It really is a silly framework for me and everyone I've been seriously interested in beyond sex.  I haven't dated dated for decades.  I mean: going out on the town for dinner, movie or watnot seems to be not really related to initiating the sex or relationship part. 

Karilyn

• Emoticontraindication

Unless you also think less of Dale, you've got one of our culture's stupidest ideas lodged in your brain.
Only way I'd think less of Marigold (and I'd also think less of Dale too) is if they didn't use a condom.  Seriously people, men and women, always use a condom, for the respect and love of yourself, and for the respect and love of your partners.  I know they are both virgins but I don't think either of them knew that they were both virgins.  And even then, people who are virgins have been known to have somehow picked up an STD that they weren't aware of.

Of course, we'll never know if they used a condom or not, but I'll just go on pretending that they somehow managed to be godtier awesome and did even though it's probably giving them too much credit with how hopeless both of them are.

What is this about "first date"? They have met often. They know each other well. What makes a "date" so special? What if they had had sex without ever "dating"? Would that have been worse?
I agree.  I think... I've actually only ever had one "first date" in my life.  I think it was with my uh... 5th person I dated?  I went through the formal shit with him, asked him out to a dinner and a movie.  Wound up being the worst relationship of my life lol.

I mean it's not like I haven't had dates with people I've been dating other than that, but they were often something like, "Yeah let's go out and have a special date for the hell of it even though we've already been dating for 9 months" and you can't really call that a first date even if it was the first date you had together.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Having just met in a bar and clicked on is just as perfect a framework for having sex as any.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.

My contribution to the L-word cavalcade: Lugubrious

Mar-bear has really pretty eyes… when she's not obscurring them with glasses.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building

I am going to don my asbestos undies and go against the flow here.

Male or female, SEX ON THE FIRST DATE IS SLUTTY, NOT EMPOWERING. Please note that I am including BOTH genders. Penis or vagina, there's no solid justification.

Seriously, how is putting out for the first vagina/penis available empowering? Intimacy is a very important thing. For men and women, one's first sexual experience is considered a mark of becoming an adult. Even after the likely heartbreak, sex remains something special, something shared with someone important. Sex isn't just sex, it's emotions, drives, needs, desires, and more besides. I'd even go so far as to say that sex is a sacred experience for humans because of all the intangibles that go into it. Trust, attraction, creation, vulnerability, and more that I don't even have names for.

Marigold and Dale don't really know each other well. They've seen anime together that one time and Dale did that WoW harrassment but that's it. I haven't seen any meaningful conversations or interactions similar to those that Marten and Angus did with Dora and Faye. This whole thing just feels rushed, from a literary and realistic point of view.

caveat: I'm not saying save it for marriage and make sure it's your one true love, I'm saying that that biological imperative to stick it in to guarantee your genes being passed on is not the be-all, end-all to everything! There's more to it than just pleasure, dammit.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Then I'm outing myself as a slut. And I'm proud of it. I'll be adding it to my sig right now.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Am I seeing things or did Marigold's character get a redesign?

Or is it just the afterglow and a good fucking?  :-o

Because that's purty impressive.

@ Black Sword

Not sure...if serious or not.  :psyduck:

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

"First Date" seems like a silly framework and set of standards [...].

I agree with that. I find the idea of having to begin a relationship by formally going on dates (often with expectations attached to what has to happen at the Xth date) a little ridiculous. Looking at QC and other popular culture coming from the US, this seems to be much more a thing there than in Germany - although I will immediately admit that pop culture does of course not necessarily portray reality very accurately. I have never "dated" anyone by that definition. Sure, I sometimes go out to dinner with my boyfriend for celebrations or because we feel like it, but that was always after we were already together. I suppose we also went out to dinner or cinema or something when we were still just friends, but that weren't dates either, just stuff we did together as friends. Same thing with my first boyfriend.
But then, I was friends with both my boyfriends before being in a relationship with them (in one case a seven-year friendship, in the other about 6 months), so I guess it's not the same thing as when you're still getting to know each other while already in romantic pursuit. Maybe in that situation the formalised setting of dates makes it easier?

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. 
Re: I think it is really everybody's personal decision when to first have sex, as long as both partners are happy with it. I could never sleep with somebody whom I don't know already and who I am not already really strongly emotionally attached to (or so I think now), but that's just me really.
This is absolutely a personal decision and nobody except those immediately involved have the right to judge it.
I do agree that it feels a little rushed in Mari's and Dales case - but that makes neither of them a "slut"!
« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2014, 09:24 by Mlle Germain »

WareWolf

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Makin' This Up As I Go

Having just met in a bar and clicked on is just as perfect a framework for having sex as any.

It's how my wife and I met. Been together 25 years now.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I am going to don my asbestos undies and go against the flow here.

Male or female, SEX ON THE FIRST DATE IS SLUTTY, NOT EMPOWERING. Please note that I am including BOTH genders. Penis or vagina, there's no solid justification.

Seriously, how is putting out for the first vagina/penis available empowering? Intimacy is a very important thing. For men and women, one's first sexual experience is considered a mark of becoming an adult. Even after the likely heartbreak, sex remains something special, something shared with someone important. Sex isn't just sex, it's emotions, drives, needs, desires, and more besides. I'd even go so far as to say that sex is a sacred experience for humans because of all the intangibles that go into it. Trust, attraction, creation, vulnerability, and more that I don't even have names for.

Marigold and Dale don't really know each other well. They've seen anime together that one time and Dale did that WoW harrassment but that's it. I haven't seen any meaningful conversations or interactions similar to those that Marten and Angus did with Dora and Faye. This whole thing just feels rushed, from a literary and realistic point of view.

caveat: I'm not saying save it for marriage and make sure it's your one true love, I'm saying that that biological imperative to stick it in to guarantee your genes being passed on is not the be-all, end-all to everything! There's more to it than just pleasure, dammit.

Well, thanks for calling me, multiple ex girlfriends, my current girlfriend, my ex wife and many of my friends sluts. I'm done talking to you.

WareWolf

• Makin' This Up As I Go

Am I seeing things or did Marigold's character get a redesign?

Or is it just the afterglow and a good fucking?  :-o

Because that's purty impressive.

@ Black Sword

Not sure...if serious or not.  :psyduck:

I think her face looks slimmer without the big glasses. Her skin does seem to have cleared up a bit, though.

marsman57

• Emoticontraindication

My current opinion of Marigold and Dale with regards to this is equal. I was more talking about Dale's perspective upon Marigold though rather than my perspective as a third party.

I largely agree with what Black Sword said about the whole issue.

I could say more about my feelings as a third party toward people who REGULARLY have sex on the "first date", but I don't desire a flame war where no one is going to change anyone else's opinion.

A pregnancy scare story arc could be interesting. I doubt Dale had protection on hand.

WareWolf

• Makin' This Up As I Go

A pregnancy scare story arc could be interesting. I doubt Dale had protection on hand.

Well, I've been off the circuit, so to speak, for a while now, but I seem to remember when EVERY guy had protection on hand ALL the time. 'Cause you just never know.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

It's how my wife and I met. Been together 25 years now.
It's a separate matter really. A random sexual encounter can lead to something durable, or can just be a shooting star of tenderness. And some awesome love stories started on online dating sites specifically oriented towards sexual flings.

KOK

My contribution to the L-word cavalcade: Lugubrious

What, no verb?

Karilyn

• Emoticontraindication

First off, it wasn't really their first date, they've known each other for a while, even if this was their first formal date (which trainwrecked).  That being said, yeah I think they probably did rush sex, because they haven't known each other that long, and yes I agree it's not empowering, but it's also not slutty.  It's just sorta, rushing things and poor decision making.

There is a pretty wide shade of gray between empowering and slutty.

Also for what it's worth, one of the best relationships I ever had (still with him) was with a guy I just had sex with one day because I was horny, and really wanted to fuck someone, and he was a friend of a friend and seemed nice enough.  Then AFTERWARDS I got to know him, and found out we were extremely compatible.  I hardly remotely recommend this as a technique for finding a long term partner, as it was mostly a fluke, but for crying out loud, doesn't make you slutty to enjoy having sex with someone.  Just wear a fucking condom.

For men and women, one's first sexual experience is considered a mark of becoming an adult.
I said it up higher on this page, but I'll say it again.

Sex is neither as good or as evil as you've built it up to be.  The media, the people, who tell you it's the greatest thing ever?  That it's what makes you an adult?  They're bloody fucking crazy, you're the same person before and after having sex, just a little stinkier after sex, until after you've showered.  Hell, for the average person, their first time having sex is kinda lame, because they're too wrapped up in the nonsense of trying to perform right, or rush to the orgasm, instead of just enjoying it.  That's something you learn to do over time, nobody seems to get it at first.

Even after the likely heartbreak, sex remains something special, something shared with someone important. Sex isn't just sex, it's emotions, drives, needs, desires, and more besides. I'd even go so far as to say that sex is a sacred experience for humans because of all the intangibles that go into it. Trust, attraction, creation, vulnerability, and more that I don't even have names for.
For some people yes, but for some people no.  For me?  Yeah, it is.  I can't have sex with someone I don't share an emotionally bond with because the emotions are too sloppy.  Many other people can and there is nothing wrong with them, OR with people like me (and Martin).  It's just natural variations on human sexuality.

For what it's worth?  Dale and Marigold did have emotion behind it, they weren't having sex for the sake of sex, they were having sex because they were caught up in powerful infatuation emotions.  Perhaps not the wisest thing, but they were not having sex to just to have sex or to get rid of their virginities.

I'm saying that that biological imperative to stick it in to guarantee your genes being passed on is not the be-all, end-all to everything! There's more to it than just pleasure, dammit.
FOR THE LOVE OF FUCKING GOD FORGET THE BIOLOGICAL IMPERATIVE.  WRAP YOUR GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING BLOODY COCK YOU WANKER.

CONDOMS MOTHERFUCKER DO YOU WEAR THEM?
« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2014, 09:29 by Karilyn »

Y

• Curry sauce

Is it bad that I only realized today that they had sex? I assumed based on her face expression in 2638 panel 3 that she dragged him to the door without saying a word, then proceeded to shower.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up