Poll

Cats?

CATS!
Cats. :grumpypuss:
CATS??
KITTTEHS!
Meh.
Cat GIFs!
Hellspawn of EVIL! EVIL, do you HEAR ME??
Dogs. :wow: Such Poll.
Waffles and Pancakes.
SPATHE HAM!!!!!!
MOAR PINTSIZE!!!!
YELLING BIRD STRIPS!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2641-2645 (Feb 17 - 21 2014) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 54048 times)

aliensporebomb

• Larger than most fish

Something is up.  Faye is mad Dale was late but something else is bothering her,  She is a little over the top here.  Maybe the news of two guys she knows getting laid and each having the opposite reaction was too much.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.

Why is Dale farting little pink hearts… that are levitating him?

What, that's never happened to you?

God, you must be weird or something  :mrgreen:
If I ever exhibitted such symptoms, I would be seeking professional medical assistance.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Zog

• Plantmonster

Something is up.  Faye is mad Dale was late but something else is bothering her,  She is a little over the top here.  Maybe the news of two guys she knows getting laid and each having the opposite reaction was too much.

My guess is that she is trying to keep dale from making "Mark" feel worse.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

That would make sense. There might also have been developments about Angus's job opportunity in New York.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Why is Dale farting little pink hearts… that are levitating him?

Wait, there was an alternate version of this strip?

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

You missed a strip,  I guess.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

Cats get a bum rap.  While it's a common enough stereotype, it doesn't really match my experience with a good many of the critters.

My opinion of cats isn't based on stereotypes, it's based on my personal experience with cats to date, the highlight being an incident in which I was asked to bring the family cat inside but, upon approaching to about 6 feet from said cat (in an open, outdoor area, not cornering him or anything), I decided looked as though he did not want to come inside.  Rather than force the issue, turned to say as much over my shoulder to the party doing the asking - I was so not going to try to chase down a cat and bring it in the house if it didn't want to go. I'd respect that space.

The cat responded to my understanding nature by leaping at me and slicing through my denim jeans so deep I have scars on both legs , then bolting.

Wtf cat, I was leaving you alone anyway. I was on your side!  :-\

Less dramatically, I just find it really annoying that cats will jump on your lap and appear to encourage petting, then use your thighs for pincushions. Because that's supposed to be comfortable, I guess.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

You missed a strip,  I guess.

Thats what I get for being shifted to graveyard shift.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

My guess is that she is trying to keep dale from making "Mark" feel worse.
I think this is Faye's ordinary behavior towards the rookie. I have the feeling that the chemistry between Dale and Faye is not the best. Perhaps he is too easy going for her taste, but she should definitely try to be more nice towards him. The boot camp should be over by now.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

"Love and pancakes, love and pancakes,
Go together like Kubric and retakes.
This I tell ya, brother, you can't have one without the other."

(click to show/hide)
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I sure as hell wasn't complaining!
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

Feminist action for the day: We as a society need more female helicopter mechanics.

My cousin's wife used to be a submarine mechanic; does that help?

She wasn't actually in the navy, mind you -- she was a civilian contractor, but with a pretty high security clearance. And she's in her 60s now, so this was probably 30 years ago... which possibly makes it better, come to think of it; there were even fewer opportunities for women in that kind of field back then.

"Love and pancakes, love and pancakes,
Go together like Kubric and retakes.
This I tell ya, brother, you can't have one without the other."

(click to show/hide)

"Mancakes"? I don't know what they are, so they could be either sexy or gross...

Anyway, it's great the way it is! No complaints here, either.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

I cannot confirm a similar status for "that girl" and "that individual of fluid gender status". Members of those groups have not done the post sexin "La la la I got laid" shit at any where I've worked, but I'm sure they're out there annoying the piss out of other people.

I did know one woman who did this, but she was a bit more subtle about it. She just came in to work one morning wearing (for her) an unusually skimpy dress, and (quietly) singing something happy-sounding all day. (In Cantonese, so I can't really say what the lyrics were.) Somebody asked her what was up with her, and she just smiled and said "Love is in the air, you know?" Yeah, yeah, we get it.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

I find this all a bit tacky of Dale. Marigold is good friends with the rest of Marten and Faye, coming into work and announcing to them that he has had sex with her just doesn't feel right.

Socky

• Emoticontraindication

I dunno, they're his friends too, he just had sex for the first time so he's pretty excited. He's probably high on endorphins and not thinking normally. So I'm with Marine, I think he gets a pass this one time.
And I'm sure someone will explain to him it's not cool to brag.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

As Marigold and Angus are room-mates, Faye and Dale are bound to meet there sometimes. They will be part of the same social circle. Therefore, Faye should try to be more friendly towards Dale, or we shall have future mayhem when Dale has had enough of the rookie treatment.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

However friendly she may or may not want to be to him outside the workplace, Faye is still Dale's boss and he's still the FNG* and he's late to work. Faye is probably still is doing the boot camp thing (it's only really been about a week or two in-comic since he was hired) and IMO justifiably so. He's got stuff to do but he wants to gossip. She's bringing him back in line.

Moment of silence for your virginity. ... Now empty the trash, dude.

*FNG=F*ing New Guy

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Right, because Faye never talks about outside stuff at work :roll:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Criminals make the best prosecutors, and vice versa  :roll:

Schwungrad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

I find this all a bit tacky of Dale. Marigold is good friends with the rest of Marten and Faye, coming into work and announcing to them that he has had sex with her just doesn't feel right.
Marigold and Dale will have been aware that their mutual friends will ask anyway, so they probably just resolved to "yeah, just tell 'em when you see 'em".

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

And if you think Dale is being annoying about it, just imagine how bad Marigold's going to be.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Is bragging to friends something women do? Stereotypically it's a (douchy) guy thing.

Dale is a long-time good friend to The Pugnacious Peach, judging from his Secret Menu privileges.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

Don't know about women in general. But speaking of Marigold specifically, if there's a wrong way to do it, that's what she'll do.

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

To be honest, I don't see Marigold bragging about it - she'd be way too embarassed. Remember how it was with Francis the space guy?
I can actually picture her coming into COD, being congratulated by Dora and Faye (and possibly Hanners) and running away again in embarassment. Or at least blushing as much as possible.
And probably Dale and Marbear are also still awkward around each other.

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood

I can actually picture her coming into COD, being congratulated by Dora and Faye (and possibly Hanners) and running away again in embarassment. Or at least blushing as much as possible.
And probably Dale and Marbear are also still awkward around each other.

I've been wondering how Marigold will behave afterwards, but that is indeed one very plausible scenario.

Another possibility is that Dale and Marigold will be quite inappropriately all over each other in public and Faye will have to throw a bucket of water over them.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Dale is a long-time good friend to The Pugnacious Peach, judging from his Secret Menu privileges.

A lesson I should have learned years earlier than I did: Stay the hell out of any circumstance in which your friend becomes your boss.

ADD: And if (you think) your boss becomes your friend ... never forget your boss is still, for good or ill, your boss.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Yes, but Dora is still Faye's boss, so there's only so much she can do.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

The other thing that could happen, of course, is Marigold suddenly becoming this calm, mature, rational person.

...Or is that a trope?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

The other thing that could happen, of course, is Marigold suddenly becoming this calm, mature, rational person.

...Or is that a trope?

If it happened suddenly, then yeah. 

But if gradually she continued on her present course of getting out more and more of her shell and becoming more confidant, then it would be normal character development.  You can change the shape of the neural tunnels, but it takes time.

Jazzmaster

• Obscure cultural reference

...Or is that a trope?

If it happened suddenly, then yeah. 

But if gradually she continued on her present course of getting out more and more of her shell and becoming more confidant, then it would be normal character development.  You can change the shape of the neural tunnels, but it takes time.

Right.  Losing your v-card won't transform you overnight.  That said, many people will tell you that losing it boosted their confidence, for one reason or another.

I wonder if this would've happened if Marigold didn't pass out.  Was she going to make that bold move the whole time, or did she only make it because they never went out on their date?

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

It's a well-known fact that a good bang can have a temporary soothing effect on anxieties, so there's that too.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier

Well, with respect, she's been there much, much longer. Dale is relatively new. There are certain things I feel are okay to roll with if the authority figure initiates, but never to start on your own. Bosses initiating a conversation about outside matters with their employees on occasion can be seen as an attempt to get to know them better, but I've made the mistake of trying to pal around with my superiors (even if they weren't my bosses) and learned my lesson the hard way.

Zwammy

Yes, plus there has been plenty of times the Barista crew has been late , or left early because of bootie calls. Faye, Dora and Penelope all come to mind in several cases. Ok, I can only think of one case for Penelope - not sure about Raven.
"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse

Jazzmaster

It's a well-known fact that a good bang can have a temporary soothing effect on anxieties, so there's that too.

Oh, of course.  I know you used the word "temporary" for a reason, but I'll say it anyways - it really is only temporary. 

You might call it sharpening a blade, though.  You can never really become complacent and rely on past experiences to keep you sharpened up on whatever it is you might struggle with.  Marigold will have to keep putting herself out there or risk slowly returning to her old self (the Marigold that was originally introduced). 

I wouldn't say she's totally absolved of her problems.  That isn't to say anybody ever is, but she'll have some issues down the road, I believe.  Just look at how she broke down and lashed out at Momo when she was confronted with having to take the initiative and ask Dale out.  What happened and the way she dealt with it is a sign that she is a "work in progress" (but, again, so is everybody really). 

She eventually rose to the occasion, and she was fortunate enough to have things turn over in her favor.  It's clear that she has her problems, but if she's willing to deal with them in a progressively adult fashion, things can only look up for her.  We'll see.
« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2014, 16:06 by Jazzmaster »

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Maybe Dora should put Pancakes on the CoD menu.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

skiddle

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Hi. This is my first post, having lurked for a while. Just wanted to add my vote of confidence to cats. Maybe it's because mine were stray street cats once, but they're all three of them very affectionate ... admittedly sometimes for food but not always!

With regard to whether Dale should be bragging and whether he should be so open about what's happened, Faye and the others have been pretty involved in Marigold and Dale getting together one way and another (witnessing key events, talking to them each individually about it) so I don't think it would be a terrible breach of confidence. That said, I can imagine MarBear going one of two ways - totally over the top excited and proud, or very embarrassed, which might lead to problems.

And as a currently single girl, I have to say that women can be *that girl*. I don't know if it's a British thing, but a certain amount of smugness among friends is allowed - even expected!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Welcome, new person!

What flavor of "Britain"? It's a heterogenous place.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

Marigold seems rather prudish for a woman who contracted a robot with an eelgina.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

"Yes, Marigold.  You are a slut.  Now get your sweet ass back on the street and make Mama some more money."

That's what Momo should have said!

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

Marigold seems rather prudish for a woman who contracted a robot with an eelgina.

If they were assigned like Marten, then i would say they their personalities complement each other. It was discussed already, that Momo have/can help with those things that Marigold lacks (like social skills).
« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2014, 19:38 by K1dmor »

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

a new insecurity appears.

poor marigold, two steps forward, one step back.

Yarin

Marigold looks good without her glasses or clothes lol
Your friendly neighborhood alien

Aww i wanted to explode.

I'm in my own private universe of porn right now

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

She looks good with them too, but there's a certain innocence or clarity that comes out when she has them off. Faye does too.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Is that Momo's "You did good" face, in the last panel? I'm fairly sure it is.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

OMG
Dat hair
Dat hair is nice.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

I think we have the L word.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Oh, of course.  I know you used the word "temporary" for a reason, but I'll say it anyways - it really is only temporary.
In light of today's comic, I'm glad I also used the verb "can".
Aw, Marigold...
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Marigold, whatever you're afraid of, it doesn't apply in this situation.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cpflux

• Emoticontraindication

I think we have the L word.

... lesbian?

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Lemur!
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up