THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Something rare: Moment of the Week?

Marten's the only dude unhappier after a ONS.
- 2 (3.8%)
Not make it sound completely hopeless?
- 0 (0%)
"I got some booty, I got some booty"
- 16 (30.8%)
"It involves putting on fancy clothes and getting wicked drunk"
- 3 (5.8%)
You used "wicked" as an intensifier. You're officially a New Englander now.
- 6 (11.5%)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
- 3 (5.8%)
Claire asks if something's wrong: hooked up with a friend of Tai's...
- 2 (3.8%)
Took a class on sexuality 3rd year undergrad; not be judgmental about casual sex
- 1 (1.9%)
I'M NOT JUDGING YOU (Okay! Okay!)
- 7 (13.5%)
Can't imagine meeting somebody and SLEEPING with them RIGHT AWAY.
- 1 (1.9%)
"Hey player! How'd things go with D?" (Oh, uh, good. Good) "Fist bump."
- 1 (1.9%)
"Tai put a lot of work into her float. I didn't have the heart to tell her the parade is rained out."
- 3 (5.8%)
Angus: "We're going out for beers tonight."
- 0 (0%)
Who's "we"? You and me.
- 0 (0%)
And me! (Wha-) I got BRO SENSE.
- 6 (11.5%)
All right, all right. I'm here picking up a book for my girl.
- 1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2651-2655 (March 3-7, 2014) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 51112 times)

HauntingPoem

• Furry furrier
  • Such cool. Post good. Wow.

I really like the "texture" her hair has.
"Our home is where we are. Our place of origin does not matter"

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce

Does she sound jealous, or is that wishful shipper logic?

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

I don't think it's jealousy here. Claire's parents split up because (I think?) her father was having affair(s). She's rather touchy about that sort of thing. So it's not a far stretch to think she's rather judgmental about random hook ups/one night stands, given what she said in this comic.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Me thinks the lady doth protest too much.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

For White Fang, The Call of the Wild, and The Sea Wolf, I'd say. I read the first two as a kid and The Sea Wolf in a high school English class. I've never heard of The Cruise of the Dazzler, though; how did you run across it?

Back when I was younger, we had what I believe were the collected works of London. Due to lack of having much to do otherwise, I did a lot of reading, some of it definitely *air quotes* age-inappropriate in retrospect.

I cannot help but notice Clare wears a rather nice top today.
« Last Edit: 04 Mar 2014, 22:40 by Loki »
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

Me thinks the lady doth protest too much.

I'm not judging you, I'm not judging you, I'm NOT I'm NOT I'm NOT!

So there!  :-P

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

If it is, I'm guilty of it as well, I must confess.
What do you know about Pokémon?

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

:mrgreen: Claire has been judgmental before, without knowing all the facts. Apparently, she has strong emotions about infidelity, or about casual flings in general.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Amusingly, in 90s and early 00s youth culture, 'wicked' used to mean 'good.'

I thought it was "hella," or am I just confusing that with the crappy car modification with the same word in it?

Not in England it didn't (just realised I didn't specify).
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

(It was for saying "I would only use 'diagonal' for that" with regard to persons on opposing corners of an intersection.)
What else could you use? :psyduck:

I dunno. I'm pretty sure I've heard "wicked" used as an adjective in my non-New England area, but it would more likely be "sick."
Different usage. In some regions, "wicked" can be an adjective meaning "cool". But in New England it is used as an adverb meaning "very".

Ah, I see.

And the other options were mostly variations of "kitty-corner/catty-corner"

I suspect not so much jealousy as awkwardness, as in "I feel like I'm supposed to say something at this juncture but I'm not sure what."
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

You're probably less likely to use regional slang on the internet than you are when talking with local friends.
I try to avoid using too many Australianisms. My spelling would preclude "sounding" like anyone from the USA on the internet, of course.

For White Fang, The Call of the Wild, and The Sea Wolf, I'd say.
It is probably as well for his reputation that hardly anybody reads Jack London's "The Unparalleled Invasion", though there may be some who harbour similar views who might enjoy it today. London's racism tars him pretty irredeemably as far as I am concerned. Yes, Jack, I am judging you!

Claire's shirt is a very good colour for her.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

Akima, when you say "Australianisms", are you referring to those nasal Eastern-State Australianisms? Or what people think we sound like - "shrimp on the barbie"et al ?

(Tbh, I've never really noticed anything spoken here in SA that constitutes an "Australianism")
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

everything i know about australia, i learned from mad max, 90's jackie chan movies, and that one episode of the simpsons.

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker

everything i know about australia, i learned from mad max, 90's jackie chan movies, and that one episode of the simpsons.
Yes, and stereotype dictates that this is the point where I'm supposed to say "you call this a knife? *this* is a knife", and then proceed to pull out a spoon.
~She/Her/They/Them~

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

yes, but be warned for i have indeed played knifey-spoony before.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

My spelling would preclude "sounding" like anyone from the USA on the internet, of course.
Indeed.
:-D
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

:mrgreen: Claire has been judgmental before, without knowing all the facts. Apparently, she has strong emotions about infidelity, or about casual flings in general.

Yes, she has, however - her reaction was both normal, and worthy of a smile (because I'm not the one being judged).
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker

It's not our fault you people have a thing against the letter U and a weird thing for z's where there should be s's.
~She/Her/They/Them~

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

I do not blame Jeph for including American English regional slang in his comics, but it can be hard for us non-Americans to achieve understanding sometimes. To our American friends, I would suggest you take this test: The Great English Dialect Quiz.

After completing the test, you might begin to understand the problem.

LittleKing

• Emoticontraindication

Oh Marten, just move the fuck on already! :-P

Sorry for the insensitive post, but seriously! How long is he gonna dwell on this?
PC answer: as long as he needs, everybody's different and deals with things in different ways, yadda yadda yadda...

I'm kinda bored with Martens current storyline in case you didn't notice :-P

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker

Sorry for the insensitive post, but seriously! How long is he gonna dwell on this?
Remember that comic time is a lot slower. For us, this arc's taken the last two months, but for Marten it's been like four days?

When you inevitably do your next marathon archive binge, it won't seem like a long time at all :P
~She/Her/They/Them~

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

That's pretty much all you need.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

LittleKing

• Emoticontraindication

Remember that comic time is a lot slower. For us, this arc's taken the last two months, but for Marten it's been like four days?

When you inevitably do your next marathon archive binge, it won't seem like a long time at all :P
Good point. It all went by much much faster when I first started reading QC and had a lot of catching up to do.

But still, this Marten arc... Hopefully Claire will help him get over this issue :wink:

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

I do not blame Jeph for including American English regional slang in his comics, but it can be hard for us non-Americans to achieve understanding sometimes. To our American friends, I would suggest you take this test: The Great English Dialect Quiz.

While I'm "spectacularly south east", many of my rels are not. Of course I've gone native since 1968, but even my son has traces of a SE UK accent though, picked up from me.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

While I'm "spectacularly south east", many of my rels are not. Of course I've gone native since 1968, but even my son has traces of a SE UK accent though, picked up from me.

I, too, got "spectacularly south east". A bit surprising, since I come from the northernmost country in Europe... ;)
What do you know about Pokémon?

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Two of those questions I couldn't even answer - I don't use any of those choices.

Detachable Felix

• Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker

I also got "spectacularly south east", which I suppose is apt, but I'm about eighteen thousand kilometres more south-east than the quiz intended :P
~She/Her/They/Them~

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

I also got "spectacularly south east", which I suppose is apt, but I'm about eighteen thousand kilometres more south-east than the quiz intended :P
I would guess all non-Brits end up being "Spectacularly South-East", but in the wrong country  :-D

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

It's not our fault you people have [...] a weird thing for z's where there should be s's.

That's also Oxford University Press house style (and hence the preferred spellings in the OED); Cambridge falls the other way.  Curiously, Oxford University recommends the use of s in its publicity guidelines.  Some word processors have two British English spell-check settings to account for this.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Spectacularly South-East; well, there's a surprise.

As the first comment says:
I think we can all agree that the author knows buggerall about English dialects.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

Spectacularly South-East. Which I am, in a different country.  :-D

In US dialect quizzes, I get different results depending on whether the quiz focuses on word usage or pronunciation. My vocabulary is typical of the southeastern US (and North Carolina specifically), but my accent was strongly influenced by my parents, who are from Pittsburgh.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

[...] but seriously! How long is he gonna dwell on this? [...]

I also think it's funny that Marten just runs around and tells anybody he meets (ok, friends only) about the somewhat unsuccessful one-night stand. Even funnier because he just looks mopey and then waits until people ask him "what's wrong?".
I think this is a very natural thing to do, though. When something bugs me, I very often try to find as many people as possible to talk about it. Not consciously, it just happens: If my brain has still not let go of the issue after thoroughly talking the thing through with one person, I really can't stop myself from bringing it up with the next friend I meet as well.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

NOBODY IS JUDGING YOU, YOU STINKING PILE OF ... UH, YOU SAW NOTHING !!! *runs*
Carpe Diem

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

[...] but seriously! How long is he gonna dwell on this? [...]
I also think it's funny that Marten just runs around and tells anybody he meets (ok, friends only) about the somewhat unsuccessful one-night stand. [...]
Agreed, it is enough by now. If I had been in a similar situation, I would not have told my friends anything at all. But then, I am not Marten.

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier
  • Grammar is not half as important as clarity.

I grew up on Cape Cod, lived in Northampton/Amherst for college for 5 years, lived in Boston the past 6.

So yeah, wicked. Those of us who had Cape Cod parents who took great pains either to keep the dreaded South Boston dialect out of our speech or to cultivate the Kennedy/Hyannispahwt/Boston Brahmin accent instead, now have a reaction pretty similar to Faye's when we find ourselves dropping a "wicked," which is, both in terms of meaning and metonymic significance, the MassHole version of "Beaucoup" in French or "Muy" in Spanish.

Of course, sometimes we'll say "wicked" ironically, which makes it okay.

I've basically only heard wicked used as an "intensifier" (what a great 10-dollar linguistics word; Angus must be a grammarian like me) for "good," "bad," and "awesome." Never "pissah." That's bush league, even to the kind of guy who owns six different Red Sox hats. Using that phrase to sound authentically Boston is like calling the city "Beantown." Or San Francisco "Frisco," apparently.

Funny story. My 3rd grade public school teacher was super Catholic; rumor had it she used to be a nun, but I don't know if that's really true. There are, of course, very few Catholics on the Cape; we're all descended from Puritans. Anyway, whenever some Mark Wahlberg wannabe 9-year-old would be mid-sentence and use "wicked" she'd be able to jump in fast enough, before the noun even got out of the kid's mouth, to interject "...means EVIL!!!"
« Last Edit: 05 Mar 2014, 05:06 by aphanisis81 »

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

I make it less than two days. Party Saturday evening,  today's strip Monday morning
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Akima, when you say "Australianisms", are you referring to those nasal Eastern-State Australianisms? Or what people think we sound like - "shrimp on the barbie"et al ?
Mate, I didn't have accents in mind so much as vocabulary, but if you're going to put the acid on me, I'd better come up with something and give you the full SP before you go burko! Australian English comes within a bull's roar of British English, but if we're fair dinkum about it, there are more oddities than you can shake a stick at. If you dress badly, you're a warb. A member of the "deserving poor" is a battler, but if you think they're lazy or otherwise undeserving, they become a bludger (bludge is a verb too, especially in the phrase "bludge on the dole"), pronounced "bluja". You barrack for your football or cricket team, and after the game you soothe your throat with a schooner of beer. And so on. There are some Australians who might claim they never use such expressions, but I suspect they are would-be members of the bunyip aristocracy who are just putting on the dog.

Chowdah? That's how I pronounce it; doesn't everyone? :angel:
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

"Divided by a common language".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Oh, fer criminy cripes sake. Howsa long you guys gonna put all this bull hockey out dere hey about different accents, aina?

"Divided by a common language".

Which is what I was getting to.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Hm. The moment Marten explains himself, I think Claire's going to settle down.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

Funny story. My 3rd grade public school teacher was super Catholic; rumor had it she used to be a nun, but I don't know if that's really true. There are, of course, very few Catholics on the Cape; we're all descended from Puritans.

...er.

I'm not sure you're actually from the Cape.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

I'm interested again now because Claire, jealousy and judging so hard, but it was definitely dragging on until that point.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

We shake sticks at things in the UK too.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Yeah, that was the only one I've heard used in the states. The others were all new to me.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

Stick shaking occurs in the States as well, although it is not a phrase I can ever recall using myself.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier
  • Grammar is not half as important as clarity.

Funny story. My 3rd grade public school teacher was super Catholic; rumor had it she used to be a nun, but I don't know if that's really true. There are, of course, very few Catholics on the Cape; we're all descended from Puritans.

...er.

I'm not sure you're actually from the Cape.

I assure you I am. 'Twas sarcasm.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

It's not our fault you people have a thing against the letter U and a weird thing for z's where there should be s's.
Hey, don't blame me on this, I'm not even a native English speaker.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Judge Claire.

Somebody make sure she's not packing a Lawgiver.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Schwungrad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

I would guess all non-Brits end up being "Spectacularly South-East", but in the wrong country  :-D
Yup, me too. I suppose the South-East just speaks the most "vanilla", "standard" English.

On a completely unrelated note, I wonder whether it is just the shading or whether Marten is starting to go grey (or gray?)

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

I tried that quiz and got "Spectacularly South-East", though I only got that result after randomly picking an option on question 4 because none of them were something that I would say as a greeting.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up