THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 10:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Something rare: Moment of the Week?

Marten's the only dude unhappier after a ONS.
- 2 (3.8%)
Not make it sound completely hopeless?
- 0 (0%)
"I got some booty, I got some booty"
- 16 (30.8%)
"It involves putting on fancy clothes and getting wicked drunk"
- 3 (5.8%)
You used "wicked" as an intensifier. You're officially a New Englander now.
- 6 (11.5%)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
- 3 (5.8%)
Claire asks if something's wrong: hooked up with a friend of Tai's...
- 2 (3.8%)
Took a class on sexuality 3rd year undergrad; not be judgmental about casual sex
- 1 (1.9%)
I'M NOT JUDGING YOU (Okay! Okay!)
- 7 (13.5%)
Can't imagine meeting somebody and SLEEPING with them RIGHT AWAY.
- 1 (1.9%)
"Hey player! How'd things go with D?" (Oh, uh, good. Good) "Fist bump."
- 1 (1.9%)
"Tai put a lot of work into her float. I didn't have the heart to tell her the parade is rained out."
- 3 (5.8%)
Angus: "We're going out for beers tonight."
- 0 (0%)
Who's "we"? You and me.
- 0 (0%)
And me! (Wha-) I got BRO SENSE.
- 6 (11.5%)
All right, all right. I'm here picking up a book for my girl.
- 1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2651-2655 (March 3-7, 2014) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 51712 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I got incredibly northern or something, but "northern" appeared to encompass the entire top half of the UK, including the Midlands where there is quite a distinctive dialect which bears no resemblance to, for instance, the Yorkshire or Newcastle dialects. It's oversimplified, basically.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I got Spectacularly South-East in the quiz compared to England (and let's face it, you don't get much further South-East unless you're a Kiwi), but I got rather odd results when I did an on-line quiz relating my English to the USA. I just seem to be vaguely "coastal urban"?

We shake sticks at things in the UK too.
Many, probably most, "Australianisms" originated in the UK, I think. Even so Australian expression as "fair dinkum" originated, I believe, in an English dialect. To describe a person/action as "not fair dinkum" is a fairly serious insult to, or criticism of, their/its honesty. Don't throw it in someones face here unless you intend to provoke a confrontation.

A few Australian words, like "cooee" (a bushman's shout; a moderate distance, usually in the context "within cooee of <object>"), "yakka" (work, especially in the form "hard yakka"), "billabong" (pond or pool, often transitory following heavy rain, river-flooding etc.), "gibber" (a boulder or stone) etc. are drawn from indigenous Australian languages. So, of course, are the names of many places (Woolongong, Oodnadatta), animals (kangaroo, koala), and cultural artefacts (boomerang, digeridoo).
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

What does "dinkum" mean by itself?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I believe "dinkum" was originally an English dialect word meaning "work". "Fair dinkum" related to fair pay for work, or a "fair go" (another important Australian idea), and mutated to meaning "honest dealing" generally. Nowadays "dinkum" used alone in Australia is just an abbreviation of "fair dinkum" and means "genuine", usually in the expression "Dinkum Aussie". Sadly, the sort of person who uses that expression generally would not apply it to Australians like me.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Apparently, I'm spectacularly south-east for the UK one, or from Jersey City, Baltimore or Honolulu for the US.

I actually live in Somerset, becoming Wurzel/Cornish when driving.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

The Oxford dictionaries give the origin of dinkum as "unknown", but all imply that it originated in Australia or New Zealand.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

The Australian National University on the origin of dinkum. Melvyn Bragg takes the same line in his book The Adventure of English: The Biography of a Language.

It seems that American dialect map offers different qustions if you take it more than once. I took the quiz again and got this result, even more polarised to New York and Los Angeles. I wonder if my foreignness is breaking the quiz?

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

I would guess all non-Brits end up being "Spectacularly South-East", but in the wrong country  :-D
Yup, me too. I suppose the South-East just speaks the most "vanilla", "standard" English.

It pretty much defines what "standard" English is. Oxford BBC Announcer.
For those of us born there, it's just the local dielect, no better or worse than any other.
It can cause problems overseas though, as many think we're putting on airs and graces. Faking it.

One place I did find where it was an advantage was in Honkers. My badly butchered Cantonese with a SE UK accent apparently made me sound like a native.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

Nowadays "dinkum" used alone in Australia is just an abbreviation of "fair dinkum" and means "genuine", usually in the expression "Dinkum Aussie". Sadly, the sort of person who uses that expression generally would not apply it to Australians like me.
Yes, that sort are not Fair Dinkum.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

Nowadays "dinkum" used alone in Australia is just an abbreviation of "fair dinkum" and means "genuine", usually in the expression "Dinkum Aussie". Sadly, the sort of person who uses that expression generally would not apply it to Australians like me.
"... Everything I Know About Being Australian I Learned From Tone Abet...."
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I remember taking that dialect exam before. I definitely have a Milwaukee dialect.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Just for fun I sent that quiz to an Icelandic friend. She placed in or near Maine.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Well, so much for rained out parades.

a 'dčanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeňid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

The parade wasn't only rained out, it was canceled and rescheduled for three weeks from now.
Just another Joe like 46

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

Not being honest with Tai might not be such a good idea.  There's a good chance she's going to find out that Marten didn't find the one night stand appealing given how many of his friends he's already told.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Yeah, but that wouldn't be funny.

And this is a comic strip.
Just another Joe like 46

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

It's a polite lie.  Tai would understand.

Claire seemed not so much jealous as let down at Marten.  I think she sorta looks up to him:  http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2431

Anyway, I hope there's a  lot more Claire because she's adorable. 

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

It's not a lie at all. He answered one of her questions and ignored the other. He did have fun at the time.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

It's not a lie at all. He answered one of her questions and ignored the other. He did have fun at the time.

Something like that. 

But the upshot was that he deliberately led Tai into thinking he was happy about what transpired for the sake of her feelings.  He's a good friend for that. 

That thing with Delila probably will end up making Marten happier in the long run though.  It'll be something he'll never have to wonder if he should have done. 

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

I tried that quiz and got "Spectacularly South-East", though I only got that result after randomly picking an option on question 4 because none of them were something that I would say as a greeting.

Ditto
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

It's not a lie at all. He answered one of her questions and ignored the other.

If you have to justify something with "Technically..".. You're in the wrong. Just a heads up.

Not that I think Tai'd take the lie all that badly or anything.
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

When did I justify anything with "technically"?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

His answer is meant to, and successfully does, deceive her. Things like specifically answering part of her inquiry in a manner that'll be interpreted as directed at the whole would definitely be a technicality.

For instance if I were in a relationship where I suspected cheating and I asked "Is there another woman?" and he was cheating with a person of other genders than that, but answered "No there isn't" then that would be a lie. Because that's not the question actually being asked. Honesty doesn't really work like that.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Oh goddammit Marten.

Not being honest with Tai might not be such a good idea.  There's a good chance she's going to find out that Marten didn't find the one night stand appealing given how many of his friends he's already told.
Or maybe Delilah noticed he was bummed out and spoke about it with her friends, so it might get to Tai from that side of the circle.

If Tai doesn't find out, she's bound to try hooking him up for more ONSes, as a good friemd would do.

Oh damnit, I just realized. Claire probably doesn't take kindly to "I am not going to tell you the truth about my sex life because I don't want you to be sad when you know."

I really hope she chews Marten out for that.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood

If Delilah's feelings about the matter are as she says , she's probably (a) not mentioned it to anyone and (b) pretty much forgotten all about it.

Also, we're running out of people who might ask Marten how the party went and get any kind of detailed answer, so that particular sub-theme can't last any longer. Tai's posture as she bumps fists with Marten suggests to me that that's the end of the conversation as far as she's concerned.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

I agree, anahata. There might be a bit more about Claire's reaction to things, but it seems like we're reaching the end of this sub-arc.
What do you know about Pokémon?

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

If you have to justify something with "Technically..".. You're in the wrong. Just a heads up.
A good rule of thumb.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

His answer is meant to, and successfully does, deceive her. Things like specifically answering part of her inquiry in a manner that'll be interpreted as directed at the whole would definitely be a technicality.

For instance if I were in a relationship where I suspected cheating and I asked "Is there another woman?" and he was cheating with a person of other genders than that, but answered "No there isn't" then that would be a lie. Because that's not the question actually being asked. Honesty doesn't really work like that.

There is a big difference. Marten lied about something that doesn't concern Tai anyway, and he did it in order to spare her feelings.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

If you have to justify something with "Technically..".. You're in the wrong.

In my perception, the "technically" usage isn't a justification for your own belief; rather, it means that you don't actually agree with something, but are suggesting why someone else might.  As in: "Technically, <this>; but actually, <that>."
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Inc. magazine had an entire article that said using the word "actually" undermines your credibility.

Just another Joe like 46

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Inc. magazine had an entire article that said using the word "actually" undermines your credibility.

So by you using it in that context, you just lost credibility?

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

I like Marten. He's kind.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
Just another Joe like 46

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

"... Everything I Know About Being Australian I Learned From Tone Abet...."

At the risk of thread derailment, and injecting politics into things, a no-no... this recent speech in the Senate has been recognised by all sides as typically Australian. You don't have to agree with it to see it's ridgy-didge.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

One Word that Kills Your Credibility in Presentations
Quote from: above article
Let me explain.  When you use the word "actually" properly, you are comparing two thoughts and providing clarification.

Exactly as in my example which apparently prompted this diversion.

Schwungrad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Regardless of Marten's noble motive of "sparing her feelings", if he doesn't want to talk with Tai about his feelings concerning Delilah, that's his good right, and saying something like "yeah, fine, all went well" is IMO a perfectly acceptable way of avoiding the topic.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

There is a big difference. Marten lied about something that doesn't concern Tai anyway, and he did it in order to spare her feelings.

Of course there is and I didn't claim otherwise. But you're agreeing here that it is a lie, regardless of manipulating the language for excuses. I also said that Tai probably wouldn't care about it. I find it more likely that she'd be concerned about the fact that he was bummed out as a result n' stuff.

As in: "Technically, <this>; but actually, <that>."

Exactly, and it's in that manner it creates excuses. It's just conveniently not mentioning the second half again.

"Technically I didn't answer that part of the question; but in reality I clearly did so with the intent of having you take it as an answer to both."

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

Joined the comic threads for the first time in months to say

JESUS CHRIST MARTEN

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

JESUS CHRIST MARTEN
I think Marten is an OK dude, but calling him Jesus Christ ? Thats kind of going too far !
Carpe Diem

judemorrigan

• Balloon animal serial killer

I got incredibly northern or something, but "northern" appeared to encompass the entire top half of the UK, including the Midlands where there is quite a distinctive dialect which bears no resemblance to, for instance, the Yorkshire or Newcastle dialects. It's oversimplified, basically.
Plus, I have it on good authority that lots of planets have a north.

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

Quote from: ZoeB
... this recent speech in the Senate has been recognised by all sides as typically Australian....
I wouldn't call it 'typically australian', more so Senator Ludlam 'typically being a decent fucking human being'. Is there a section for Australian politics on this forum? I feel like this is a thing I need to get on if it exists.

Anyway, yes. Comic. Very good. Rain on parade. Yes. Comic!
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

JESUS CHRIST MARTEN
I think Marten is an OK dude, but calling him Jesus Christ ? Thats kind of going too far !
Agreed. JC had compassion and no carnal desires, whereas Marten is all emo by now. He should grow longer hair, stop showering, and find some shabby clothes to complete the transformation.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Well. By all accounts Jesus was a regular man. Abstaining is not the same as lacking. He also had a marketable trade skill (very successful carpenter under his "step father" Joeseph) which Marten could probably stand to gain. Not that music, library science and drinking coffee are unworthy.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

According to the mythology, stepfather is accurate and needs no quote marks :roll:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

According to the mythology Jesus didn't have any siblings either. Now I'll accept the miracle of the virgin birth, but if you think Mary and Joeseph, a married couple, didn't get down and have some more kids after Jesus's birth? You are outta your mind.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Someone's seen Dogma :roll:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Tai is happier about Marten's random hookup than Marten is.  :roll:

And yeah, Claire is acting mighty disappointed in Marten right now. Whatever other feelings she may or may not have for him, she respects him, and that respect has been damaged. How damaged remains to be seen. But whenever someone says "I'm not judging you," they are definitely judging you.

Ah well. I expect it's nothing a few drinks at the Horrible Revelation won't put right. And I have a feeling that Claire may become a regular there once she's introduced to it.

"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

No siblings?

Quote from: Mark 6:3, King James Bible
Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier
  • Grammar is not half as important as clarity.

Well. By all accounts Jesus was a regular man. Abstaining is not the same as lacking. He also had a marketable trade skill (very successful carpenter under his "step father" Joeseph) which Marten could probably stand to gain. Not that music, library science and drinking coffee are unworthy.

I'm pretty sure that associating Marten's job with Library Science is like saying a paper boy is working in journalism.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

The truth will set you free

Or at least won't be so painful once Tai actually finds out the truth from Delilah.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up