THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 03:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Something rare: Moment of the Week?

Marten's the only dude unhappier after a ONS.
- 2 (3.8%)
Not make it sound completely hopeless?
- 0 (0%)
"I got some booty, I got some booty"
- 16 (30.8%)
"It involves putting on fancy clothes and getting wicked drunk"
- 3 (5.8%)
You used "wicked" as an intensifier. You're officially a New Englander now.
- 6 (11.5%)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
- 3 (5.8%)
Claire asks if something's wrong: hooked up with a friend of Tai's...
- 2 (3.8%)
Took a class on sexuality 3rd year undergrad; not be judgmental about casual sex
- 1 (1.9%)
I'M NOT JUDGING YOU (Okay! Okay!)
- 7 (13.5%)
Can't imagine meeting somebody and SLEEPING with them RIGHT AWAY.
- 1 (1.9%)
"Hey player! How'd things go with D?" (Oh, uh, good. Good) "Fist bump."
- 1 (1.9%)
"Tai put a lot of work into her float. I didn't have the heart to tell her the parade is rained out."
- 3 (5.8%)
Angus: "We're going out for beers tonight."
- 0 (0%)
Who's "we"? You and me.
- 0 (0%)
And me! (Wha-) I got BRO SENSE.
- 6 (11.5%)
All right, all right. I'm here picking up a book for my girl.
- 1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2651-2655 (March 3-7, 2014) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 51120 times)

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Thought. This may have actually been Marten's first one night stand. As I recall he was with Ol'whatshername most of HS, then he moved out here and got dumped, wallowed, met Pintsize, met Steve and was pretty much solo till he ended up with Dora. Might have been some dates here and there but that doesn't mean he sealed the deal, and as we just saw, Marten is to being smooth like a sand blaster at full power is to gentle exfoliation...

There was Padma. But that does not invalidate your point.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Apart from the wicked sidetrack, it appears Angus has plans for Marten. Last time, it involved fancy clothes and getting wicked drunk. I would guess Angus has some other idea this time, but it probably will be some kind of male bonding, and alcohol will in all probability be consumed.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Wikipedia knows no less than nine towns and/or cities named Frisco. Also a bridge and a railway depot.

And the nickname of an actual fallen flag railroad.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Thought. This may have actually been Marten's first one night stand. As I recall he was with Ol'whatshername most of HS, then he moved out here and got dumped, wallowed, met Pintsize, met Steve and was pretty much solo till he ended up with Dora. Might have been some dates here and there but that doesn't mean he sealed the deal, and as we just saw, Marten is to being smooth like a sand blaster at full power is to gentle exfoliation...
I understood GM's post as speaking of the time between Vicky and the beginning of the story.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

I use wicked all the time... it's not a mainstay of my speech pattern but it's there. I have spent a grand total of two weeks in Maine outside of traveling/vacations, and the entire time I was in Maine I had 0 contact with the locals.

I use it occasionally, but can't remember where I picked it up. Been living in California since I was four. Spent several days somewhere on Cape Cod (Falmouth?) for a business trip a long time ago, but don't remember the natives saying "wicked" like that.

Didn't Steve Jobs use to describe things as "wicked fast" or "wicked cool" or something like that? I may have gotten it from him. I was a Mac owner for a long time back in the '90s.

Vicky, in college.

Actually, I believe that's Vicky after graduating college and moving back home to Northampton, no?

"Whoever after due and proper warning shall be heard to utter the abominable word "Frisco," which has no linguistic or other warrant, shall be deemed guilty of a High Misdemeanor, and shall pay into the Imperial Treasury as penalty the sum of twenty-five dollars."  -- Emperor Joshua Norton of the United States and Protector of Mexico.

Haha, great quote. I never heard that particular one before, and I've lived in San Francisco most of my life. Can't say I'm too familiar with the Quotations of Emperor Norton, although I've certainly heard of him.

An abbreviation for San Francisco, used as such in e.g. the book "The Cruise of the Dazzler", brought to you by Jack London, who in turn is mostly known for "White Fang".

For White Fang, The Call of the Wild, and The Sea Wolf, I'd say. I read the first two as a kid and The Sea Wolf in a high school English class. I've never heard of The Cruise of the Dazzler, though; how did you run across it?

KOK

I like the black background. It underlines her panic.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Didn't Steve Jobs use to describe things as "wicked fast" or "wicked cool" or something like that? I may have gotten it from him. I was a Mac owner for a long time back in the '90s.

Did every Mac come with a copy of Steve Jobs?  It seems I missed out by going the PC route!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

Did every Mac come with a copy of Steve Jobs?  It seems I missed out by going the PC route!
They tried to sell a copy of Bill Gates with Windows PCs, but nobody liked this addition much.
Carpe Diem

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

Padma and Marten was kind of not such a happy relationship. But just because it was short doesnt mean it really was a ONS - i.e. met one day, separated the next day again. Also, if memory serves, I think they had at least two times they got carnal with each other.
Carpe Diem

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

As they say in Boston: wicked pissah awesome.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

KOK

Padma and Marten was kind of not such a happy relationship. But just because it was short doesnt mean it really was a ONS - i.e. met one day, separated the next day again. Also, if memory serves, I think they had at least two times they got carnal with each other.

My impression was that it was more than that.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Question: Is it still that noticeable from one word where in the USA somebody hails from in the day and age of the Internet? I know some of us did a test which was linked on Neko's Facebook profile and was supposed to tell you where you are from based on the regional words you use. Mine showed up as mixed parts from New York, Honolulu and Frisco, I think.

Ummm.. I'm guessing that's Nekowafer? I do some of those personality tests for fun on my facebook too, but they tend to be more geek oriented than that... It just gets confusing when people say 'Neko' here, because there are two of us. I should probably start using my other internet handle here to get rid of confusion....

Zuli_Muli

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

wait when did I miss the scar on Faye's boob?

Barmymoo

• Mentat

It's a pretty crucial plot point, she got it when she tried to kill herself due to the trauma of her dad's suicide.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Srxjo

• Plantmonster
  • 死神

It's a pretty crucial plot point, she got it when she tried to kill herself due to the trauma of her dad's suicide.

Wait, it was confirmed she was trying to kill herself, i seem to recall she mentions blacking out or something when driving and that it may or may not of been her attempting suicide but she wasn't sure or not, but knowing me i'm probably remembering incorrectly

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

That's what I was thinking too, Srxjo. She may have subconsciously wanted to die but I don't think it was an outright suicide attempt.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Zuli_Muli

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

that's right I forgot about the explanation, thanks for the refresher

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

She said a couple of times that nobody was sure. She told her therapist "may or may not have tried to kill myself" in strip 649.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Fair enough, the point is that's the accident it happened in :)
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

Question: Is it still that noticeable from one word where in the USA somebody hails from in the day and age of the Internet? I know some of us did a test which was linked on Neko's Facebook profile and was supposed to tell you where you are from based on the regional words you use. Mine showed up as mixed parts from New York, Honolulu and Frisco, I think.

Not sure. I found the quiz you mentioned, though, and my favorite bit was when I responded in such a way that the entire USA map turned blue, meaning, "No one talks like that. Ever. What is wrong with you."

(It was for saying "I would only use 'diagonal' for that" with regard to persons on opposing corners of an intersection.)

Edit: the quiz ultimately ended up getting my area spot on...though apparently the "most distinctive" answers to determine it were "firefly" and "crawdad," which makes me wonder how much it would've changed if I'd said "crawfish" or "crayfish" instead (I honestly had to think about that one for a while, since I don't really talk about those much in general; been years since I've said any of those words at all, wasn't entirely sure what was most accurate). A lot of the more "standard conversation" answers I gave were either common across 90% of the states or uncommon everywhere, so...I dunno. Maybe?

I dunno. I'm pretty sure I've heard "wicked" used as an adjective in my non-New England area, but it would more likely be "sick."
« Last Edit: 04 Mar 2014, 10:40 by Shjade »
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined

And the nickname of an actual fallen flag railroad.
For shame. That is a bad as saying RIP in Peace. - this message copied and forwarded to you by the back up office for redundant ministry of redundancies and redundant duplication

Now I may be wrong here. I know, it is very rare but there may have been one occasion in the past.

Padme and Marten went into their relationship with two separate view going in.
Padme - short term fling with no restrictions, expectations or obligations - her outlook changed at the end
Marten - wanted more but changed his outlook and decided to make the best of what was dealt and share what little time they had together positively

Is Padme ever coming back? That all depends on the great hand of the narrator setting things moving in that direction once again.

[begin - idle speculation]
Padme went back to look after her mom. We know it was something medical but no details about the nature or the severity.
M - Our first factor is how long mom will need her around.
R - The second factor is if Padme sets root back home with mom and how strong those roots become.
H - Third would be how strong are her ties to the people back here.
D - Fourth would be how strong is her wanting to distance herself from her memories of her mom during the last days.
Stay = M ( R ) and Go = ( H + D ) / M
[end - idle speculation]
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

To continue the noble tradition of nomular pedantry in the forum - Padma.

KOK

As far as I remember, Padma went back to take care of her grandmother.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined

Gah - My typing dyslexia knows no bounds. I even had her name spelled correctly in the quote  :psyduck: Damn you Lucas you bastard.  :roll:
Which came first Padme (SWI - 1999) or Padma (QC - 1845 )?

Grandma? Oh swizzle stix. I'm as sharp as a bag of wet mice today.

I think I found the original test linked through the NY Times.
I'm either from Minneapolis or South Florida.  :-P and each is based on one specific word choice. A majority of my selections were either universal or nowhere at all.
Lets hear it for the lexicon of Mississauga Ontario. :-D

A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Padma, Padme ... I rather like the notion of Marten discovering his latent powers against the background of forbidden love and becoming a dark villain.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Roborat

• Furry furrier

I think a blended southern/new England accent would be wicked ahsum.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

Padma, Padme ... I rather like the notion of Marten discovering his latent powers against the background of forbidden love and becoming a dark villain.
(click to show/hide)

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world

And the Southern accent goes down the tubes.

I like to think Faye went around for the rest of the day going Full Dixie on the accent.
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

(It was for saying "I would only use 'diagonal' for that" with regard to persons on opposing corners of an intersection.)
What else could you use? :psyduck:

I dunno. I'm pretty sure I've heard "wicked" used as an adjective in my non-New England area, but it would more likely be "sick."
Different usage. In some regions, "wicked" can be an adjective meaning "cool". But in New England it is used as an adverb meaning "very".

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken

Though I've tried to fight it, I've slipped and used "y'all" a couple of times. Does that combined with my love of sweet tea makes me an official southerner?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Amusingly, in 90s and early 00s youth culture, 'wicked' used to mean 'good.'
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

It doesn't anymore?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Sorry I meant in this country specifically. It's certainly not 'trendy' language any more as far as I know, and I work with t'youth on a daily basis.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Yes, I've been thinking that a lot of this regional US slang sounds quite 90s to me! I have to admit to occasionally saying "y'all"; I believe Bob has heard this and almost burst a lung laughing at it.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

Though I've tried to fight it, I've slipped and used "y'all" a couple of times. Does that combined with my love of sweet tea makes me an official southerner?

Yeah, it'll do. Attending a NASCAR race is actually optional.

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

The only time I hear 'wicked' used as an intensifier, it's as a joke by people trying to sound as uncool as possible.
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Nope. Unless you were born in the South, you'll always be a Damn Yankee, no matter how long you live down there. The same as me. :)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

You will be assimilated.  Resistance is futile.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Amusingly, in 90s and early 00s youth culture, 'wicked' used to mean 'good.'

I thought it was "hella," or am I just confusing that with the crappy car modification with the same word in it?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

No, "hella" is used like "wicked" in New England. As an adverb, meaning "very". Jeph's used "hell of" which is just weird.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

"I am NOT judging you", said the NOT jealous Claire.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

C..Clairepocalypse!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

A POLL REDUX

Merry Marigold    3 (9.1%)
Moping Marten    4 (12.1%)
Dancin' Dale    3 (9.1%)
Astute Angus    2 (6.1%)
Fierce Faye    0 (0%)
Dreamy Dora    2 (6.1%)
Talky Tai    0 (0%)
Pornographic Pintsize    1 (3%)
Cybernetic Clinton    0 (0%)
Clairey Claire    11 (33.3%)
Wonderful Waffles    1 (3%)
Spacey Spathe Ham    0 (0%)
Purpley Monkey Dishwashers    1 (3%)
Seriously Elsewise    2 (6.1%)
Eerie Emily    3 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Aside from feeling sick, I do need to point out a few things:

1. Marten may have had a "one night stand" as his "first time" (the "back of a VW" comment from The Talk).

2. "Wicked" is definitely a cue that you're speaking with a New England accent, just as "y'all" is a Southern thing.

3. Claire needs to be a bit more emphatic about not being judgmental. I don't think Marten's getting the point...  :roll:
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Re: #1 - Knowing Marten, it was probably with his girlfriend at the time, whoever that was.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Somehow I'm thinking Claire would go catatonic if she knew about Tai's past promiscuity.

sluthy

• Obscure cultural reference

2. "Wicked" is definitely a cue that you're speaking with a New England accent, just as "y'all" is a Southern thing.

Apparently it's a Texas thing too. (I believe Chad and Sam are Texas natives, I could be wrong?)

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

Somehow I'm thinking Claire would go catatonic if she knew about Tai's past promiscuity.

Or something like this?
 Now that i think about it, maybe she's not judging but remembers that a one night stand was the reason for her parents' divorce?

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

But did she pass the class?

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

clair is not-judging the living hell out of martin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up