THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 08:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: War Thunder  (Read 3560 times)

CrazyWelshy

• Plantmonster
  • That there Welshman
War Thunder
« on: 27 Aug 2013, 12:03 »

Anyone here a player of War Thunder?  Don't know what it is?  Its a free-to-play MMO in WWII to Korean war air plane combat game.  Tanks and ships are coming at some point too.

Here is a video:

Oh, and its going to be a launch title for PS4 where PC and console players can duke it out  :-D

I fly British and German planes mostly.  Beaufighters and Spitfires are glorious.  :wink:
When Ziggy gets twitchy, you'd better run before he has fun!!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Re: War Thunder
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2013, 09:50 »

Me and my clan just started playing it.  Its a ton of fun!  So far flying exclusivley british.  Want some spitfires!  So far I feel like the hurricane mkI is superiour to the mk II
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

TheCollyWolly

• Larger than most fish
  • pressganged into service on a gnome submarine
« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2013, 10:05 »

I used to love this game, and I still fly Brits and Germans from time to time. I haven't played much since the patch that added the maintenance and upgrade system. It gave me the choice of nerfing all of my planes or emptying my lions twice over. I might start back up again, especially if some of you guys would like to start a squadron, but I'm afraid Gaijin's gonna turn it into World of Tanks all over again :/

CrazyWelshy

• Plantmonster
  • That there Welshman
« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2013, 10:56 »

Start playing Japanese, NOW.  They're introducing a two engined Ki-102 with a 57mm cannon!  Japanese agility and Me 410 firepower.  It CAN two shot a B-17 Flying Fortress.... It's just madness.

This is just madness.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #4 on: 19 Sep 2013, 20:59 »

After playing war thunder and watching X wing vs Tie fighter table top matches AND watching this VIDEO I really want someone to kick start a new x-wing vs Tie fighter game dammit!
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

CrazyWelshy

• Plantmonster
  • That there Welshman
« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2013, 03:55 »

That's a really cool animation, really reminds me of the 90's style animation.

Have you seen the Heroes trailer for War Thunder?  The CGI used in the trailer is just incredible to me.

The amount of detail gone into it is just amazing.

Dream

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2013, 11:02 »

I don't wish to ruin the thread's mood with my bitching about the controls or how i practically can't see planes beyond half a kilometer, or the ways the 12 FPS frame-rate fucks with me, so aside from wishing developers gave me the option of getting a better (quicker and simpler) interface and being able to trade fancy graphics for speed/functionality, so i won't mention that.

Aside from that, the game is really a lot of fun. A lot of things to do and while random online battles are certainly the center of the game, there are still a lot of other chances for fun with the game, like test flights or missions/campaigns. And i haven't even tried historical or full realism yet. I'll admit i'm surprised at how much of a commitment/rank you need to have in any air-force to get to most planes, as well as the experience necessary for the upgrades. I'm also pleasantly surprised at the skill some people in arcade have.

Up to now i'm still kind of adjusting to the game (getting comfortable with controls and setting them up properly, that kind of stuff. Also fuck wobbling) so overall it kind of isn't that fun yet. Plus the aforementioned graphics problem make it hard to impossible to hit let alone shoot down. I do however manage to get the rare kill. One of them was particularly fun, shot down a peashooter that chased me down to the canyons after he shot down my engine.

But yeah, great game and a lot of fun. Once the control and graphic wackiness gets solved (that is to say, when i buy better hardware and a joystick) I'm sure this will be a blast.

TheCollyWolly

• Larger than most fish
  • pressganged into service on a gnome submarine
« Reply #7 on: 05 Jan 2014, 21:34 »

A bit of thread necromancy here, but whatevs.

I've been playing a ton over the break and been really enjoying myself. I didn't like the new tiering system at first, but it's grown on me and I feel like the Germans are finally playable again.

I was wondering if anyone here would wanna do some squadron/clan games with me at some point? I know the game's kind of rough for beginners at some points, but having even one wingman with voice chat to help you out really changes the game experience a lot. I'd be willing to front the money to start one if I get two or three people saying they'd be in. You guys are great, and I'd be more than willing to help you guys get started if you're interested!

PM or just reply here if you'd be in.

HauntingPoem

• Furry furrier
  • Such cool. Post good. Wow.
« Reply #8 on: 19 Mar 2014, 21:31 »

I'll play with you. My Screen name is Sensuikan, already in a squad but i wouldn't mind flying with you in some matches.
"Our home is where we are. Our place of origin does not matter"
Pages: [1]   Go Up