Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RTS  (Read 9673 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
RTS
« on: 03 May 2013, 17:16 »

So I just rebought Star Wars Empire at War for $7 courtesy of steam and it got me thinking, what's everyone's favorite RTS games?

Empire at War, Dawn of War, Company of Heroes and Red Alert 2/3 top the list for me
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
Re: RTS
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2013, 18:29 »

Welp, I did love the homeworld series for bringing us actual space combat, although I wish someone would make something like that now because we could just do so much more now. The Total War series as a whole just does it for me too, and Rome 2 is just looking like it's gonna blow the genre out of the water. World in Conflict was damn good too, it was a shame the community for that died out, because the multiplayer on that rocked.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2013, 18:58 »

Starcraft 2, probably. It's a combination of the different races making a ton of interesting dynamics, the straightforward, quick paced gameplay, and the big, living community surrounding it. It's also the only multiplayer RTS I have played where meeting players of similar skill is easy.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Nikolai

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • H-Hello? Is this thing on?
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2013, 20:16 »

Red Alert 2 will forever be my all-time favourite RTS. I'm currently trying my hand at Tom Clancy's Endwar for the 360. The voice control is...different.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2013, 21:38 »

I just kept with controller control for End War... I honestly was annoyed at how "dumbed down" it felt compared to any other major RTS even though I enjoyed it. The lack of fine control was driving me nuts by the end.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2013, 01:30 »

Age of Empires and Age of Kings are the the only games that have worked on every computer I've owned. That means something (it means that when I get nostalgic these are my first port-of-call).

I'm a long-time fan of the Total War series, too. I wish the older titles worked as well on new computers as AoE does.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2013, 02:35 »

Oh, I totally spaced Age of Empires, which I blame for my history obsession, and Total War: Shogun II is the only game I've stopped playing because I played one of it's aspects so well I couldn't win a satisfying victory. Early on in the campaign after some exploring, I make an ally in the far north of Japan (I'm located on the opposite side of the country) that ally controls a decent portion of the Northland by the end of the game and they're my only opponent left. Issue, their family is intermarried to mine and they're long time allies. The only way to achieve the victory condition is to betray them and the AI doesn't seem to be in a rush to betray me. So I stopped playing that campaign instead of dishonoring myself.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2013, 03:06 »

Oh man, Empire at War is absolutely awesome! If you wanna play some time, I'd be up for it.

That aside, I'm a big fan of the Total War Series myself, although I couldn't get warm with Shogun II and Napoleon. My favorite part is Medieval II, I can't even count all the hours I spent playing it.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #8 on: 04 May 2013, 03:28 »

Sure thing Chao, let me get some games in so I can try to be not suck again. I haven't dusted this game off since I was in HS probably...

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #9 on: 04 May 2013, 03:49 »

That's okay, I havent played it in several years either. You have a few days time either way, I'm currently at my parent's house and the game's in my appartment. Do you have the expansion too?

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #10 on: 04 May 2013, 08:08 »

For the most part I don't really care for this genre, and am no good at them.

That said, Dungeon Keeper and Majesty are probably my favorites.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #11 on: 04 May 2013, 08:35 »

I knew I hadn't dreamed that game! I've been looking for Majesty for ages!
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #12 on: 04 May 2013, 09:44 »

That's okay, I havent played it in several years either. You have a few days time either way, I'm currently at my parent's house and the game's in my appartment. Do you have the expansion too?

Yep, I picked up the gold edition.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #13 on: 04 May 2013, 11:38 »

Great! Although my feelings about the expansion are still mixed. On the one hand the Consortium is an awesome faction, on the other hand it is ridiculously overpowered. I almost never lost a game with them and somehow I doubt that's because of my skills as a player.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #14 on: 04 May 2013, 12:19 »

Yeah, I mean I like their completely different tactical methods, but they need a serious rebalance.

Edit: Goddess DAMN IT! Curse you Steam! Apparently they ran out of CD keys for Empire at War.

So I have to wait. T_T
« Last Edit: 04 May 2013, 13:51 by GarandMarine »

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #15 on: 04 May 2013, 18:57 »

I'm not much of a RTS fan, but I enjoy the occasional round of LotR: Battle for Middle Earth 2. Dawn of War is great as well, Empire at War is friggin cool as well (though I've been playing only with the "Space Addon" mod, which isn't available for the current versions of the game. AoE 1 and 2 were amongst my first computer games ever (AoE 1 on the Pentium of my mother was fabulous at that time). I'm not sure if it could be labelled RTS, but the first game I played (and which I still love) was "Settlers 1", only called "Die Siedler" back then.

And Dungeon Keeper 2 (I never had 1) is hilarious. If it wouldn't crash every ten minutes.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #16 on: 04 May 2013, 19:23 »

What's the Space Add On pack for Empire At War Ankh? I mean half the draw is being able to command the Imperial Fleet <3

bryntheskits

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #17 on: 04 May 2013, 20:26 »

Geez so many, I'm strange as in I prefer RTS games over everything else.

Homeworld 2 (Complex mod), Company of Heroes (Blitzkrieg mod), used to play Dawn of War years ago every day. Loved the World in Conflict singleplayer. Empire at War was too... small? Selection of units was too small (which is why I added all those mods to my other RTS games). Rise of Nations is always good for LAN's which is the only time I play it, same as Age of Empires 1 and 2 (3 can go die). Played Battle for Middle Earth 2 for a little but that got boring as well (the too little selection of units thing).

If any of you play Homeworld 2 or Company of Heroes I implore you to download the mods I mentioned, adds sooo many units to the game and also changes a lot of damage profiles and tactics etc, so much better than the Vanillas.

EDIT: Oh yeah, play Total Annihilation when I'm feeling like it, still a great game only barely showing it's age, as well as Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2013, 20:33 by bryntheskits »
Hurp

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #18 on: 05 May 2013, 01:20 »

As a really casual RTS gamer that "little selection of units" part is actually why I like this game. After not playing it for half a year it's easy to learn it again. It'd take me a lot of time to relearn Dawn of War. (I don't even remember which Faction I usually played, either Space Marines or Tau), and don't get me started with Company of Heroes. Some of my friends are completely obsessed with the Blitzkrieg mod, but I was completely overwhelmed even by the original game on the last LAN. I don't like playing games I don't know already at LANs. It's all "What do I do now? And what should I do afterwards? And after that?" with my teammates, and completely stressful.
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #19 on: 05 May 2013, 01:25 »

Dune II. Played that into the ground. Total Annihilation, although I suck at it. Red Alert 2.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra
« Reply #20 on: 05 May 2013, 05:14 »

EDIT: Oh yeah, play Total Annihilation when I'm feeling like it, still a great game only barely showing it's age

OH. MY. GODS.

The March Unto Death <3

Total Annihilation is great.
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #21 on: 05 May 2013, 05:25 »

And Dungeon Keeper 2 (I never had 1) is hilarious. If it wouldn't crash every ten minutes.

GOG has you covered. Disregard the "bad port" reviews, they are based on an old version of the game.

bryntheskits

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #22 on: 05 May 2013, 05:44 »

As a really casual RTS gamer that "little selection of units" part is actually why I like this game. After not playing it for half a year it's easy to learn it again. It'd take me a lot of time to relearn Dawn of War. (I don't even remember which Faction I usually played, either Space Marines or Tau), and don't get me started with Company of Heroes. Some of my friends are completely obsessed with the Blitzkrieg mod, but I was completely overwhelmed even by the original game on the last LAN. I don't like playing games I don't know already at LANs. It's all "What do I do now? And what should I do afterwards? And after that?" with my teammates, and completely stressful.
Some people are like you, where the complicated rules are confusing and like the simplier RTS games, and some people are like me and love the complicated way units/buildings come together in an entirely dynamic environment and like the challenge presented by it. Thought I guess it helps when all my friends are also way into it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, play Total Annihilation when I'm feeling like it, still a great game only barely showing it's age

OH. MY. GODS.

The March Unto Death <3

Total Annihilation is great.
Exactly. I still listen to the soundtrack while playing games.
Hurp

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #23 on: 05 May 2013, 06:17 »

Say, has anyone seen this Wargames: Airland battle on Steam? I've been looking at some vids of the beta, and to me it's looking like a far more in depth World in conflict.

And that excites me more than a little.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #24 on: 05 May 2013, 06:31 »

Thanks for the hint. I just bought it. I really hope they finally fixed the problems. And I discovered that they have "Thief Gold". Not an RTS, but one of my absolute favourite games.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #25 on: 05 May 2013, 06:53 »

Let us know how it is, eh? I'd love to get some Fulda Gap on if it's good.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #26 on: 05 May 2013, 07:14 »

Sorry I didn't make that clear enough, I was referring to snalin's hint to GOG for Dungeon Keeper 2.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #27 on: 05 May 2013, 07:17 »

Oh, sorry.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #28 on: 05 May 2013, 08:04 »

And I discovered that they have "Thief Gold".

Those fucking zombies.

Actually pretty much any of the non-human enemies freaked the hell out of me as a kid.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #29 on: 05 May 2013, 08:08 »

yeah, me too. But in terms of stealth gameplay this is still one of my favourite games.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #30 on: 05 May 2013, 10:12 »

Any of you lot have access to a copy of Harpoon? Speaking of old school war games....

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #31 on: 16 Dec 2013, 14:58 »

is Republic at War any good as a mod for Empire at War?
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #32 on: 17 Dec 2013, 06:25 »

Red Alert 2 is simply magnificent. Cinematic, entertaining, cartoonish, over the top acting, great gameplay mechanics - I love it.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #33 on: 17 Dec 2013, 16:44 »

I'm still a sucker for the old school command and conquers.  RA2 was great, and I liked 3, but I haven't played any of them after 4 was released.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #34 on: 21 Dec 2013, 00:44 »

I down loaded the mod for Empire at War.  By the Force is it tough, even on easy!  I swear the confederates have a pretty big advantage.  :psyduck:
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #35 on: 21 Dec 2013, 05:04 »

Empire Earth II is still my favorite.

The day Empire Earth III, one of the worst RTS games ever, if not one of the worst games period, was released, was one of the saddest days of my life.

I think Rise of Legends is overlooked and should be more popular. Steampunk FTW.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #36 on: 22 Dec 2013, 07:11 »

I down loaded the mod for Empire at War.  By the Force is it tough, even on easy!  I swear the confederates have a pretty big advantage.  :psyduck:

What all is this mod Lee?

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #37 on: 22 Dec 2013, 09:14 »

its a mod for Forces of Corruption that lets you play out the clone wars.  Its very well done and intricate, but the difficulty level is tough even on easy.  I cannot stand to hold my own as the republic unless I start the game at tech level 4.  Playing vanilla Empire at War I liked starting at tech 1 but doing so with Republic at War makes things even harder.  The confederates have tough ships even at the beginning and can rip through your fleet with ease until you get some dreadnaughts and venator star destroyer.  Then you are on equal footing. :/

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #38 on: 22 Dec 2013, 12:05 »

the oldest and bestest (and already been mentioned)

oh, and did you know: it has been 16 years since the release.
and thanks to google, I have a new website to waste my time: http://www.tauniverse.com/
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #39 on: 22 Dec 2013, 12:39 »

Anybody looking forward to Planetary Annihilation? Because I know I am!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #40 on: 08 Jan 2014, 11:59 »

Republic at war is tough playing as the republic.  Having Delta Squad is the great strength but the confederates have an incredibly strong navy early game but weak early infantry.  End game infantry is tough and the navy units are still tough.  :-\

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #41 on: 14 Feb 2014, 18:04 »

Dungeon Keeper is free on www.gog.com! It's the first RTS I was ever hopelessly inept at. Still very much worth playing.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #42 on: 15 Feb 2014, 03:50 »

Also stay the fuck away from the shitfest that's the new Dungeon Keeper.

HauntingPoem

• Furry furrier
  • Such cool. Post good. Wow.
« Reply #43 on: 20 Mar 2014, 13:00 »

I'm Still Playing Age of Empires 2!
"Our home is where we are. Our place of origin does not matter"
Pages: [1]   Go Up