Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 28 Nov 2021, 19:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: On politics, sex, and video games  (Read 51703 times)

ForteBass

• Asleep in the boner patch
On politics, sex, and video games
« Reply #50 on: 27 Dec 2004, 09:20 »

Unless you're people on this board, Dan.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

Mnementh

« Reply #51 on: 27 Dec 2004, 09:22 »

Well hey, then it is perfectly legal right?  I mean especially if they are underage cartoon characters...

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #52 on: 28 Dec 2004, 06:46 »

i've played violent videogames all my life, and if any of you guys try to tell me that it's made me a mentally imbalanced person, i'll kill you.

[rimshot]

happybirthdaygelatin

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #53 on: 28 Dec 2004, 14:19 »

sometimes when i get really angry i try to do a Ha Dou Ken at peoples heads

KID

« Reply #54 on: 28 Dec 2004, 19:44 »

my parents went to a seminar on how to raise teenagers and came back to me with some weird questions and an interesting view on Grand Theft Auto. apparently, the speaker was one of those overzealous types who hears a small bit of information and turns it into the concept of the game. they recounted the man telling them that the object of the game was to get points by screwing, then subsequently killing prostitutes.

gotta love devout christians

mr_bowen2000

« Reply #55 on: 30 Dec 2004, 21:56 »

In my opinion, the appropriatness of of a game fora specific person has more to do with their mindset than their age.  For instance, my 6 year old cousin was watching me game today.  A large, rather ugly reptilian ting leaps out of the swamp and gores me through the stomach.  He calmly recommended that I try a different route through the level, and walked off.  However, I made an idle comment that I had once recorded an empty room in our house, then played it back and heard voices to my family.  My teenage sister leaps off of the couch, claps her hands to her ears, and screams SHUT UP!!  It depends more on the person than the age.

Hostile

« Reply #56 on: 31 Dec 2004, 21:05 »

Quote from: Mnementh
Quote from: ForteBass
Also, sex is for yes.

except with minors.

ESPECIALLY with minors!

Deacon

• Plantmonster
    • http://www.firekite.com
« Reply #57 on: 31 Dec 2004, 23:02 »

Quote from: LiterSize

I love them all.

Happy drunken New Years!

It took way to long to accurately type that shit out.
Eric (the Deacon remix)

Code: [Select]
do() || do_not(); // try();

KID

« Reply #58 on: 31 Dec 2004, 23:25 »

way to spell 'accurately' while drunk!

and to hostile,

QUOTE TUNNELS. ARE. BAD.

read the top thread on the sandbox page (i am too lazy to link it)

ForteBass

« Reply #59 on: 01 Jan 2005, 10:50 »

actually that instance of quoting wasn't horrible.
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

KID

« Reply #60 on: 01 Jan 2005, 13:42 »

true, but we are trying to instill a fear of quote tunnels here

ForteBass

« Reply #61 on: 01 Jan 2005, 13:55 »

Read it more carefully. It's not all quoting we hate. Just unnecassary quoting

KID

« Reply #62 on: 01 Jan 2005, 13:58 »

fine...

Korlin

« Reply #63 on: 05 Jan 2005, 12:15 »

I'd definitely agree that the key in this scenario is context. Being able to discuss things with parents (which can be a better option than peers during younger years) allows the parents to clear up miconceptions and deal with any issues raised (as Bailey mentioned).  So a child can understand that the game he just played is just entertainment, like a 'sandbox', or that war is horrific and not something noble. Same with sex, instead of freaking out, just accept that a healthy child will develop an interest and handle it appropriately.

Also, with Japan, I agree about the oversexualisation in their culture. The cultivation of and pandering to fetishes has run rampant, with all situations and aspects seming to be covered, regardless of whether it be considered perversion. While I myself don't agree with a lot of it, one can't damn it entirely. It depends on the position one takes between the viewpoints of a gateway satisfaction (e.g. lolicon hentai leads to actual pedphilia) or whether it somehow prevents it by satisfying the need. As for violence, Japan has a notoriously low crime rate, except that there's a high incidence of sudden, shocking crimes often commited by teenagers. This is generally regarded as endemic of the high-pressure school system and the restrictive cultural factors such as group identity and polar ostracisation. This also has lead to bozoku, or gangs on motercycles which can be quite a nuisance if not a real danger at times, but they are also a product of the prior difficulties I've mentioned coupled with standard teen dementia.

I think it's like with almost everything: Everything in moderation...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up