THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peaches Geldof dead, age 25  (Read 9291 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
Re: Peaches Geldof dead, age 25
« Reply #1 on: 07 Apr 2014, 15:44 »

25 years old...  :cry:
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2 on: 07 Apr 2014, 16:57 »

I don't know what's worse: someone that young dying, or discovering that Bob Geldof has a 25-year-old daughter.

Still - very sad. :(
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #3 on: 07 Apr 2014, 20:21 »

Who? Sad to see someone pass, especially a mother with infant children but...

side note: Bob Geldof, whoever he is, clearly should not be allowed to name his own children.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #4 on: 08 Apr 2014, 00:55 »

Bob Geldof, whoever he is,

Oh, a no one, really - just an old pop star whose work for the relief of poverty in Africa has been significant enough to earn him a knighthood and a nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #5 on: 08 Apr 2014, 01:00 »

[...]Bob Geldof, whoever he is, clearly should not be allowed to name his own children.
That bit, certainly true.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #6 on: 08 Apr 2014, 01:27 »

Holy shit.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #7 on: 08 Apr 2014, 04:34 »

Bob Geldof, whoever he is,

Oh, a no one, really - just an old pop star whose work for the relief of poverty in Africa has been significant enough to earn him a knighthood and a nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Bono?

Also the latter really isn't a mark of distinction any more, especially after that asshole in our White House got one for doing... nothing.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #8 on: 08 Apr 2014, 04:47 »

Bono?

Heh!  Well, they're both Irish singers (Bono - U2, Geldof - Boomtown Rats) actively concerned for Africa, and with knighthoods as a result.  But they're not actually the same person.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #9 on: 08 Apr 2014, 05:28 »

Bono's peace work is a drop in the ocean compared to Bob's, even if the aid he raised didn't necessarily go to the right places.

Anyway, RIP Peaches. This is an absolute waste of a young life.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #10 on: 08 Apr 2014, 05:46 »

Kinda sounds like she had two very weighty problems: being the daughter of two very famous people (at least in Britain), and having "my mom's dead" issues.

And GM - please turn in any cred you had for knowing anything non-military prior to 1985, please. Even I know who Bob Geldof is. ("And there won't be snow in Africa this Christmastime...")
Just another Joe like 46

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #11 on: 08 Apr 2014, 06:23 »

I'm incredibly sad about another person dying in their twenties and leaving behind small children, but minor digression to observe that I fucking hate that song. Of course they sodding well know it's Christmas. In 2000 there were an estimated 380 million Christians in the continent of Africa (which is NOT one homogenous mass full of starving poor people). Also, no rain or rivers flow? What about the NILE, the world's largest and most famous river ever?!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #12 on: 08 Apr 2014, 06:56 »

Do remember it was directed towards Ethiopia, and it was supposed to bring forth a feeling towards people in the UK (and the rest of the world) to help.

Hearing that song now does make me realize how dated it sounds, but it was an incredible thing for its time. It not only inspired others to do similar works ("We Are The World" and "Tears Are Not Enough" come to mind), but it also led to Live Aid.

Bob did a lot to deserve that Nobel Prize.
Just another Joe like 46

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #13 on: 08 Apr 2014, 07:00 »

Africa and Ethiopia aren't synonyms, though. I agree that it did a lot to get people to help, but it also did a lot to cement the White Saviour mentality that people still have towards Africa. It's a vast continent and conflating the genuine and serious problems that exist in some parts of some countries with the experience of every country and person on that continent isn't all that positive either. The lyrics are just uncomfortably close to the "poor savage heathen" mentality of the colonialist period.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #14 on: 08 Apr 2014, 07:01 »

The song sucks a bag of dicks, on a number of levels, but the song being any good was never the point.

If we are debating this, though, I'd say 'We Are The World' is the far more alarming song even from the title downwards.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #15 on: 08 Apr 2014, 07:04 »

I've not heard that one, I don't think, and I am not going to google the lyrics because I'm technically currently writing a case study on the postnatal discharge appointment, and somehow have managed to get distracted... :psyduck:

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #16 on: 08 Apr 2014, 07:15 »

We are the World
We are the children
We are the ones who make a brighter day
So let's start giving
There's a choice we're making
We're saving our own lives
It's true we make a brighter day
Just you and me

I don't think it'd surprise anyone that those lines were written by the late great Michael Jackson...
Just another Joe like 46

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #17 on: 08 Apr 2014, 10:59 »

And GM - please turn in any cred you had for knowing anything non-military prior to 1985, please. Even I know who Bob Geldof is. ("And there won't be snow in Africa this Christmastime...")

I had any such cred?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #18 on: 08 Apr 2014, 13:10 »

In GM's defense, I'd never heard of the dude, either. Horrible tragedy though, of course.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #19 on: 08 Apr 2014, 15:12 »

How is that even possible?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #20 on: 08 Apr 2014, 15:15 »

These things can sadly happen, my uncle died of an aneurysm that even modern medicine couldn't have caught. Or did you mean not hearing of Bob Geldof?

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #21 on: 08 Apr 2014, 15:16 »

If it's in relation to Bob Geldof, I've never heard of him either.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #22 on: 08 Apr 2014, 15:39 »

In 2000 there were an estimated 380 million Christians in the continent of Africa
Including some of the oldest Christian communities on Earth, among them the Ethiopian Church. But that doesn't fit the preferred narrative of European imperialism bringing the light to ignorant savages (scented with mustard-gas in the case of Ethiopia...).
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #23 on: 08 Apr 2014, 18:32 »

The Internet is the reason why we'll never see anything like Band Aid again. *sigh*

Back on topic: has there been any word as to what may have happened?
Just another Joe like 46

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #24 on: 09 Apr 2014, 02:27 »

My theory is that she killed herself, but there is no evidence for that other than the fact that she died suddenly, young, and had not got over her mother having done the same.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #25 on: 09 Apr 2014, 23:14 »

The preliminary post mortem was inconclusive and it is likely to take up to two weeks for the completion of tests including toxicology.  Overdose cases are usually clear and easily determined, such as with Philip Seymour Hoffman so this is unlikely to be the case. Peaches Geldof had a documented history of drug use so the coroner is likely looking to determine if drug related ruling of misadventure is appropriate among others. Given the statements already issued by family members, I would expect a determination of suicide to be incredibly unlikely.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #26 on: 02 May 2014, 01:50 »

http://news.sky.com/story/1252837/peaches-geldof-died-of-a-heroin-overdose

How incredibly unfortunate, but perhaps on some level inevitable.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #27 on: 02 May 2014, 07:46 »

In 2000 there were an estimated 380 million Christians in the continent of Africa
Including some of the oldest Christian communities on Earth, among them the Ethiopian Church. But that doesn't fit the preferred narrative of European imperialism bringing the light to ignorant savages (scented with mustard-gas in the case of Ethiopia...).

I have a friend who is coptic.  He sees the Roman Catholic church in much the same light Roman Catholics see Protestants.
Pages: [1]   Go Up