THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 01:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Storium - The Storytelling Game  (Read 26724 times)

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!
Storium - The Storytelling Game
« on: 25 Apr 2014, 21:34 »

Figured this was the best place to post this. I found this on Kickstarter and pledged enough to get in the beta. It's fun and as gamer/roleplayer and sometimes-writer, this scratched a really good itch.

This video summarizes the actual game better than I could:

Not a valid youtube URL
As someone in the beta, I could start a game and invite others to play in it... though I'm not 100% sure I feel confident I could run a game yet... maybe if there's enough interest in doing one together. You can also pledge to get in the beta yourself and check it out. Technically you could pledge then back out and not be obligated to give them anything, depending on how you feel about that. Regardless, check it out if you're either into gaming or writing!
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2014, 08:49 by Game and Watch Forever »

henri bemis

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Don't F with my glasses
Re: Storium - The Online Storytelling Game
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2014, 16:24 »

This sounds really cool.  mr. bemis created a homebrew setting that I've been thinking about writing up officially (he just hasn't had the time, and I do), and this could be a great platform for that.

I'd be up for a casual game, if you decide to narrate one.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2014, 19:38 »

i'd be up for something like that.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2014, 03:29 »

I think I backed them while I was drunk yesterday

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2014, 22:06 »

Can't tell if that's an excuse or you really allow yourself access to kickstarter while drinking... granted that's not nearly as bad as drunk ebaying.  :-D

So I might have created a game and fiddled a little with it. And currently I feel adventurous enough to give it a go. So if you'd like to play either post or PM me your email (or your username if you're already on storium) and I'll send you an invite.

The game itself will be based on a campaign I ran with some friends in high school. It's pretty much a multiverse, so there'll be a decent amount of changes in scenery and a diversity in the sorts of people you run into. Which means you can be about as creative as you want with your characters. Just try to be reasonable. PLEASE PLEASE create custom cards for yourself if you don't see something that interest you. I'm using a default "steampunk" world since the cards in it are generic enough to work for this. This is not planned to be a purely steampunk game and those cards are just examples to be used if you like them.

Also, if you decide to join the beta and need an additional warm body for a game you started, you're welcome to send an invite to ThunderKnight (me). I'd probably join if one of you awesome folks were narrating.

henri bemis

« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2014, 22:39 »

I'm in, if you'll have me!  henribemis at gmail dot com.

(I haven't backed them yet, but I would like to - I'm just worried I'll never have anyone to play with, I guess.  And I've drunkenly kickstartered before).
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2014, 23:17 by henri bemis »

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
Re: Storium - The Storytelling Game
« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2014, 10:16 »

Invite sent!

henri, I'm not sure how much you care about playing with strangers, but the game does come with the options of either starting a game as a narrator and opening it up so that others can apply to join or searching a list of open games and applying to join as a player. So in theory, there should always be people to play with.

All three games I'm playing in were ones I applied for and I'm having fun with each, to some degree or another. My only major issue is that two of the three narrators seem to have gotten pretty busy early on so the pace is a bit slower than advertised in those games, but that's not a big deal... I'd be feeling swamped if all three were as fast as the first one I applied for.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #7 on: 01 May 2014, 10:30 »

I'm in! Sent you a PM with EMail in it. :)

henri bemis

« Reply #8 on: 01 May 2014, 12:19 »

woo!  I joined the game, and just need to figure out what kind of character I want to play.

I don't mind playing with strangers, so that's good to know.  I wasn't sure if you had to be invited or not.

eta: Almost there!  I've got cards and a name picked out, but still need to flesh out the background and description.  I can also change anything if it doesn't really fit with the game, but I kept it pretty simple so far, so I think it should be ok.  I don't know if you can see that stuff before it's complete.
« Last Edit: 01 May 2014, 21:20 by henri bemis »

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #9 on: 02 May 2014, 03:42 »

Whipped up a character. He's pretty stereotypical for now, but that's intentional. I plan for him to undergo some changes during the story.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #10 on: 02 May 2014, 04:36 »

Does everyone in the game need to back it to play? Or just the person running the game?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #11 on: 02 May 2014, 04:51 »

Well I'm not a backer and could sign up after the invite, so there's that.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #12 on: 02 May 2014, 04:52 »

Then I guess someone who's backed invite me? I'd like to join a story.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #13 on: 02 May 2014, 05:36 »

eta: Almost there!  I've got cards and a name picked out, but still need to flesh out the background and description.  I can also change anything if it doesn't really fit with the game, but I kept it pretty simple so far, so I think it should be ok.  I don't know if you can see that stuff before it's complete.

Yay! I can't see a word of it until you submit, so take solace in the fact that I can't look at your half-finished description and deem you unworthy on the spot!  :evil:

Whipped up a character. He's pretty stereotypical for now, but that's intentional. I plan for him to undergo some changes during the story.

Awesome, looks good to me! I wondered why Ahrtahm was a gray silhouette and then saw they finally stopped making avatars a requirement for characters. I do urge everyone to image search (or make if you're artsy...) one at some point just for the sake of making it easy to distinguish everyone from one another, but I'm not making it a requirement. Obviously it's easy enough to read names, too.

Does everyone in the game need to back it to play? Or just the person running the game?

For the beta, you can be invited into someone's game without backing and then you're limited to games people invite you to (I think... someone else would have to confirm). For when the actual thing launches, the latest plan I heard is that you can play in three games total for free and then they'll ask you to subscribe. That's obviously subject to change.

If you PM me an email, Method, you'd be welcome in my game.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #14 on: 02 May 2014, 06:19 »

I tried finding a picture that matches my image of him, but I couldn't find anything. Googling for that kinda thing is not easy.

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #15 on: 02 May 2014, 08:53 »

Yeah, I get what you mean. All my avatars are "close enough", with minor things like hair colors or age based on appearance being a little off, but the picture is small enough where it's not bothersome for me. I'm glad they made it so that you can just opt out of it now. I wasted so much time looking at red robed wizards that didn't look anything like what I pictured my guy to look.

With that said, some of the funds will be used for in-game art, so hopefully it will be diverse enough to help in the future.

henri bemis

« Reply #16 on: 02 May 2014, 18:05 »

Character submitted!  I didn't go too far into the back-story (I've got some rough ideas I figure I'll flesh out as I learn more about the world), but I'm pretty pleased with her, simple as the concept is.  (I also kind of lucked out in that I had an avatar from another character I was working on for a game that never really came to anything, but was pretty perfect for how I envisioned this one).

I'm willing to change things to fit better with the game world, but I was excited to get something up.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #17 on: 02 May 2014, 18:37 »

Wait, what backstory? I'm really confused.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

henri bemis

« Reply #18 on: 02 May 2014, 18:43 »

In the description part of the character creation on the storium site, just for my character (they don't seem to have a messaging system, so I posted here).

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #19 on: 02 May 2014, 19:54 »

Wait, what backstory? I'm really confused.
I said I'd invite you if you gave me an email address to send the invite to.  :-P Unless you did and I've totally missed it.

(they don't seem to have a messaging system, so I posted here).

In the game itself there's a comment section so people can talk OOC and plan stuff. I'm pretty sure everyone should be able to see it. Though maybe it's only me until I start the first scene.

Speaking of, I'll probably start sometime this weekend! I can add people in mid-game, so it's not a big deal if we start with only two (or three). I'll probably limit it to six active people at any given point, just to keep it reasonable and not stretch myself too thin. So yeah, if you're interested, post here or PM!

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #20 on: 03 May 2014, 02:08 »

Can I join, too? I signed up as well.

Edit: Removed the e-mail address.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2014, 08:37 by Masterpiece »

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #21 on: 03 May 2014, 03:57 »

i wanna play too!

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #22 on: 03 May 2014, 07:18 »

G&W, apparently I hit the e-mail button and didn't even realize it, so I e-mailed you but not PMd you. Just PMd you my e-mail.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #23 on: 03 May 2014, 07:35 »

And apparently you didn't even make it into my spam box... I will have to check my email on here.... unless you're ebay or amazon wanting to me to get "MOM" something special.  :-D

We're up to five people now! I'll take one more for the time being if anyone else wants to play. For those creating new characters, keep in mind that you can create new cards for yourself! The ones already there are what I decided to keep from the "steampunk" starter game that totally doesn't represent what this game is about. This is open enough for you to be whatever you want (within reason).

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #24 on: 03 May 2014, 09:51 »

I'm struggling a little to come up with a character that you can work with, but I think I will be ready later this evening.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #25 on: 03 May 2014, 10:45 »

Just made a character. Hope you guys like it :mrgreen:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #26 on: 03 May 2014, 11:05 »

Now I feel stupid for spending half a day writing mine.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #27 on: 03 May 2014, 12:20 »

Sorry.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #28 on: 03 May 2014, 21:06 »

My friend graduated today and we celebrated!  :-D Hence why I only recently looked at the characters created today. I like what I see!

Masterpiece, don't feel stupid! :) This is a character you're going to be stuck with for the duration of the game. What you're doing is building a foundation and it's certainly easier if you have a decent (notice I'm not using the word 'good' or 'solid' here) grasp on who they are. Sometimes that takes longer to accomplish. My first character was based off one of my PnP roleplaying characters from high school. He came along pretty easily, though he did end up with a different personality, since the other characters in that game can be kinda snarky and it's rubbed off on him. My second one I did from scratch and finding an avatar was the hardest part, though it did take a bit of effort to write more than two sentences about him. The third was a character from my writings, but de-aged about six years. Holy shit, that was almost painful to figure out... I literally had no idea what parts of her life in my head were appropriate for this younger version and which probably needed changing.

I'll be starting a draft of the first scene now! Not sure if I'll get it posted tonight, but definitely expect Sunday morning (I'm in the east coast of the US) at the latest. I'll probably start communicating more in the comments on the site at that point.

J - No rush on your character. I'll write you in as soon as you're ready to submit and I see it.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #29 on: 03 May 2014, 23:32 »

Damn, everyone's characters are so much better than mine :psyduck:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #30 on: 04 May 2014, 01:18 »

Mine's just about done. should be up before morning, just need to finish his avatar.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #31 on: 04 May 2014, 05:41 »

I have no idea if I'm doing this right, but I just made my move. Let me know if I'm doing this wrong.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #32 on: 04 May 2014, 09:06 »

Also I was going to jokingly refer to Chao's character as "Artie" but then I realized that could refer to Chao's OR Masterpiece's. How did you end up with such similar names? :psyduck:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #33 on: 04 May 2014, 10:37 »

oh,this is gonna be fun

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #34 on: 04 May 2014, 12:45 »

I finally gave in and started messing with it. I think I might have some fun with this.

You guys public for those of us out here to watch? Or would you rather not deal with the heckling?  :evil:

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #35 on: 04 May 2014, 13:49 »

Game is currently public, but I'm asking for input now to make sure everyone playing is cool with that. If we come to a consensus, I'll post the link on here for easier access. Based on everyone's first moves, I don't think anyone has anything to be ashamed of. 

Still got a slot for one more if you'd like to fill it, de.  :wink:

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #36 on: 04 May 2014, 14:51 »

Also I was going to jokingly refer to Chao's character as "Artie" but then I realized that could refer to Chao's OR Masterpiece's. How did you end up with such similar names? :psyduck:

I dunno. Artemis is sort of my imaginary personality. He is in many ways a person I see when I think of situations of what could have been if I had lived some little things differently. He's my "what-ifs, maybes and might-have-beens" person.

If I were to write a female character, I'd call myself Ariana.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #37 on: 04 May 2014, 22:02 »

Well, I don't know... I kinda want to, but I'm afraid I'll commit and then forget.

What kind of time frame are we looking at here? Also I've went ahead and PMed you my username.

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #38 on: 04 May 2014, 22:44 »

I saw your message first, sent you an invite (cause I like making assumptions), and now see your message! XD Feel free to ignore it if you decide you'd rather not.

I'd say totally do it if you're interested. It's asynchronous so it's basically post when you can and want to. I'm personally not aiming to go at a specific pace, even if the game is marked otherwise (I should fix that). And if you decide you don't want to participate for a length of time (or just want to perma-drop out), then we can write your character out for whatever amount of time and retire them (I prefer thinking of it as a chryogenic sleep). So no pressure (aside from peer pressure, I guess).

EDIT: Either way, I'm favoriting you, so I can stalk your games.  :mrgreen: Feel free to do the same to me.

Also, at least one person asked for the game to be made private, so I'm respecting their wishes. 

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #39 on: 04 May 2014, 22:52 »

That's fine. I'll take a look before I drop off to sleep.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #40 on: 04 May 2014, 23:33 »

So maybe I went ahead and made a character.

Edit: Also if you don't mind checking out my game's synopsis, let me know if it's too out there. I whipped it together earlier today, and am still toying with the ideas.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #41 on: 05 May 2014, 04:03 »

Can I get an invite?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #42 on: 05 May 2014, 10:54 »

So I was thinking about setting up kind of a Horror Survival zombie based game. Would there be anybody interested in playing?

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #43 on: 05 May 2014, 12:45 »

So maybe I went ahead and made a character.

Edit: Also if you don't mind checking out my game's synopsis, let me know if it's too out there. I whipped it together earlier today, and am still toying with the ideas.

I tried looking for your game, but it seems you actually have to complete it prior to anyone being able to see it. Unless it's private? I don't know.

Saw your character. Will respond later after work at some point. I like it! Just have to ask some stuff to make sure I actually have a complete picture. I expect you'll show up in the next scene, which will probably be happening soon!

So I was thinking about setting up kind of a Horror Survival zombie based game. Would there be anybody interested in playing?

This guy.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #44 on: 05 May 2014, 14:11 »

I'm down for any games.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #45 on: 05 May 2014, 16:02 »

Sorry folks. i got home from work and the internet is down. As in, minimum of a whole day down.

So I'm pretty scarce until that's back up and running. Maybe be back up and running tomorrow evening, maybe not.

So I'll answer questions when I can, but don't expect it to be quick. :x

Also I probably should have realized that about my game. Anyway, I've invited a couple of you to it, but it's nowhere near ready yet so don't get your hopes up. :( Let me know if the synopsis is interesting or not, if you don't mind. I have to move slow, but I'm hoping to have it ready enough to at least start within the next few weeks.

As for your game, GaWF, I hope to be ready much sooner than that. :p

henri bemis

« Reply #46 on: 05 May 2014, 20:35 »

sure!

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #47 on: 05 May 2014, 21:23 »

DLN, I won't be able to make a character for your game until tomorrow. Also if anyone wants to make a game, PM me for my e-mail address.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #48 on: 06 May 2014, 07:53 »

Oh no I've not been clear: please do not make a character. Not yet.

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #49 on: 06 May 2014, 08:25 »

It's probably going to tell you I started making one. I haven't, I just got curious to see if you've started customizing anything. I'll be good and hold back.  :angel:

Sadly, I'm at work AND forgot my phone at home. No access to storium for me to give feedback on your synopsis. I was definitely intrigued though perhaps a little confused. Granted, I was also pretty tired, so I'll have to reread it again to give anything constructive.

To those in my game - update after work. I did read your comments and any concerns brought up will be addressed when I pick up scene 2. Or at least I hope so. Sorry for the confusion.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up