THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Storium - The Storytelling Game  (Read 26726 times)

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
Re: Storium - The Storytelling Game
« Reply #100 on: 04 Oct 2014, 15:14 »

when i did the mayor's wife thing, i was originally planning for something much more sprawling and epic; town in ruins, army or shadow puppets, that sort of thing.

maybe they could consider having cards to let you buy some extra words?

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #101 on: 04 Oct 2014, 15:31 »

Haha, I don't want you killing off the *entire* town in one move... you have to leave enough for the others to ransack as well.  :evil:

In all seriousness, I do have some control over it, though I don't know to what extent. I kept it default since I really don't want someone making moves too excessive or needlessly wordy. If it's really cramping your (writing) style though, I can see about raising it a bit if people don't go overboard.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #102 on: 06 Oct 2014, 02:59 »

I'm not sure I realized there was a limit, though I've probably bumped up near it once or twice.

Nantuka, come out and plaaaaaaay.... heh

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #103 on: 06 Oct 2014, 06:07 »

You all have another 100 words per move to inflict pain on Nantuka (or you know... the town...) with! Enjoy!

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #104 on: 06 Oct 2014, 09:04 »

I'm not sure I realized there was a limit
THE LIMIT DOES NOT EXIST!

Sorry, had to.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #105 on: 25 Oct 2014, 12:59 »

* J watches a tumbleweed roll through

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #106 on: 26 Oct 2014, 16:41 »

I said pretty much all that I needed to. Eventually.

Now our beloved associates on the other hand....

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #107 on: 27 Oct 2014, 20:18 »

Yeah, I've still been pretty crazy busy with work and other stuff. Once I see the challenge complete I'll try my best to actually write the next scene/finale/whatever within 48 hours (I'm shooting for 24 but I don't want to make promises I can't keep). I'd *love* to write a bunch of fluff, but you guys are already doing a great job of that.

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #108 on: 16 Jan 2015, 06:09 »

So for anyone not in the know, this is now in gamma and they've added a lot of new features and plan to do a lot of smaller updates to add more features. My time in this pretty much came to a halt due to work. I'm currently trying to get on the ball about a bunch of junk (hence why I've been even less involved in this forum than I typically am), but very soon I want to dive back into Storium as both a player and narrator.

My plan is to provide an ending to my game soon to give it some closure, whether people finish the boss challenge or not. I'll give notice a couple days ahead of time so people that can play cards and want to will have some time to do so. If someone that can play on it actually wants me to, you know.... do my job and provide some fluff to base their next move on that, I can do that as well (or I'll get bored and do it anyway). Same goes if someone actually finishes or makes progress on it.

Once this is over and I feel like I have enough time and ideas for a second game, I'll post about it, including any rules/expectations. It was fun playing with you folks and I hope we can work something out to where we can do it again and in a way that keeps us all active. :)
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2015, 00:03 by Game and Watch Forever »

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #109 on: 16 Jan 2015, 22:46 »

I know gamma comes after beta, but...really? I've never heard anyone say their project was in "gamma".
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #110 on: 16 Jan 2015, 23:01 »

Eh, they did a whole redesign of the thing, I can't exactly blame them for needing something to call it.

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #111 on: 03 Mar 2015, 22:42 »

All right... time to get off my lazy ass and get down to business.

a) For people currently in my game that are alive and see this: What do you want to do with it? It's almost five months later, so maybe we want to stick a fork in it. Maybe we want to finish it. I'm good with either.

b) For anyone reading this that's interested: I've got ideas floating around for a new game. I plan to work with anyone interested on getting some rules/guidelines together, as well as contingency plans so that it doesn't burn out. The new storium features should help with that greatly. It'll take place in the same universe. It may be a soft reboot, depending on if/how the old game ends. I'd ideally like 4-6 other players. If I don't have the players needed here, I will grab from other people I know, so it will happen regardless. If you're a current player, you can use your same character and we will try to preserve as much as we can from the old game (hence only a 'soft' reboot at worst). Holler if you're interested. Assuming there's any takers, I will start posting my thoughts and ask for additional opinions on what will be most enjoyable for all involved. Questions are cool too.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #112 on: 04 Mar 2015, 02:15 »

I'm sorry I left it all to die, I just lost the thread at some point in the game.

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #113 on: 04 Mar 2015, 06:04 »

Nah, I blame the narrator for not doing his job and finding a way to work around the slowdown. He's a jerk.  :wink:

Can you clarify what you mean by "lost the thread"?

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #114 on: 04 Mar 2015, 10:11 »

Masterpiece has a length of string for everything he does, and must be holding the correct string when he's doing something. Presumably he has misplaced his Storium string.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #115 on: 04 Mar 2015, 10:36 »

Hmm... can't say I buy your string theory.  :-D

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #116 on: 05 Mar 2015, 03:02 »

The story just went one way and I went another I suppose.

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #117 on: 12 Mar 2015, 00:18 »

Okay, this post is a bit of a brain dump, but I've been wanting to type it up for anyone I try to recruit into this, so here is as good a place as any!

I figure this should be about sharing good stories as much as anything. So in case anyone actually likes reading stuff like this, here are a completed game I participated in as a player and one I joined recently:

Omphalos the City of Possibles
DROP: Squad 72, Vipers

The former was a really fun game with a great group and a narrator I really admire. The latter is shaping up to be something interesting and I'm pretty excited to see where it goes. If I actually end up reading games I'm not in, I'll post any I think are interesting that others might like.

With that said... Information for the future game I want to narrate:

Game Information

Game will take place in a multiverse where exceptional individuals learn that other worlds exist and they can actually travel between them. These individuals are referred to as "Travelers." Players play as agents for an organization in charge of keeping tabs on Travelers and making sure the balance of the multiverse remains intact. Due to the diverse setting, characters can appear human-like or they can be a cyborg-elf harboring a parasitic worm that's poking out its stomach (okay, that might be a bit much but I hope you get the point that I encourage creativity...).

As far as plot for this one, I'm struggling either between having the players visit a specific world where they will get swept up in an unusual war and possibly have to choose sides OR get assigned a mission that will require a romp through multiple worlds in more of a semi-quick succession. I'm leaning more the latter, since this will be meant to truly kick off a series of Storium games I hope to narrate. Of course, I'll listen to what players end up preferring.

Genres involved: This is certainly an action/adventure setting with all sorts of other genres influencing what happens depending on the world traveled and the characters involved. I write goofy shit a lot, too, so expect attempts at comedy. All a side-effect to having so many different people, places, and items existing near one another. Of course, player characters will likely also suffer internal conflicts, whether they involve each other, themselves, or NPCs they grow close to.

Finally, since I plan to make this a series of games, I need new people to be able to read these to understand what happened in the past. For that reason, I will set the new game to be public, but with private commentary. The old game will remain private out of respect to those that wanted it that way. Main reason this game may feel a bit like a soft reboot.

Player Expectations

Ideally, players would be available to make at least a couple solid posts a week. This way I know you'll be able to play 2-3 cards per scene and the game does not stall. Obviously, you can post more and make posts that don't involve playing cards, but we don't want to sit in the same scene for over a month.

It's assumed that players will have lives and need to step away from the game for a bit to deal with other matters. Just let me know and using the new storium features, we can either temporarily hand your character off to someone else to play for a while or retire your character and have them come back when you're ready to join up again. Your character, your choice.

Finally, I'm hoping players either have notifications on to keep up to date on the game or at least check it every couple days for a few minutes, just so they're aware of new events taking place and of any questions/comments that may be directed to them. Again, this is for when you're actively in the game. If it's a busy time for you, then we work around that.

Hopefully none of that sounded too tyrant-y. I do want feedback if it is.

Narrator Duties

If you ask me a question, I will try to respond within 48 hours. If it's time for me to make a move in the game, I will also try to do it within a couple days or at least provide an ETA. If I become busy, I will try to plan this around it with as little disruption as possible. If the game slows down, I will work with whoever is playing to bring it back up to speed. Narrators can now create playable characters in their own games and players can now play more than one character. I will try to use these intelligently to keep it interesting when things are slow.

Disclaimer

It's 3am and I am sleepy. Hopefully what I typed up there makes sense, otherwise scream at me and I will do my best to fix it/explain myself!

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #118 on: 12 Mar 2015, 05:18 »

You really like Stargåte, don't you

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #119 on: 12 Mar 2015, 07:24 »

Never watched any of it and there's probably too much of it for me to want to start, even though I know I have friends who seem to like most of it. What made you ask? 

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #120 on: 12 Mar 2015, 15:36 »

Game will take place in a multiverse where exceptional individuals learn that other worlds exist and they can actually travel between them. These individuals are referred to as "Travelers." Players play as agents for an organization in charge of keeping tabs on Travelers and making sure the balance of the multiverse remains intact. Due to the diverse setting, characters can appear human-like or they can be a cyborg-elf harboring a parasitic worm that's poking out its stomach (okay, that might be a bit much but I hope you get the point that I encourage creativity...).

That's almost alt-universe-Stargate, particularly the SG-1 series.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #121 on: 12 Mar 2015, 19:21 »

It's the worm poking out the stomach that did it for me:

(click to show/hide)

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #122 on: 12 Mar 2015, 22:40 »

I... apparently wasn't being outlandish enough with that example.  :psyduck:

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #123 on: 13 Mar 2015, 15:50 »

We've just started a The Strange campaign. So I can relate to this.

Sounds good. I can't commit yet, as I'm running a couple games myself and trying to settle into a few part time jobs. But I'm certainly rooting for you, and hope, once my income sources are secured, I can jump in.

Game and Watch Forever

• Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #124 on: 11 Jul 2015, 17:18 »

Been sitting on this for a while, waiting for when I felt ready to run with this again. Well, guess I'm ready:
https://storium.com/game/catchers-the-chase/

Soft reboot. what I listed above pretty much still applies. If you can't see the summary, then click on the tab below the banner. Post here or PM me your username or email if you're interested and I'll send out an invite. New and old players both welcome. Looking for up to four more. A friend and my boyfriend are both getting involved, so you'd be joining them. Feel free to ask questions, of course. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up