THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 93   Go Down

Author Topic: This thread is non-euclidean, for it has no point  (Read 562540 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: This thread is non-euclidean, for it has no point
« Reply #800 on: 12 Jun 2014, 08:11 »

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #801 on: 12 Jun 2014, 08:25 »

[horrible crash]
...why would you post that?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #802 on: 12 Jun 2014, 08:32 »

[horrible crash]
...why would you post that?
I was thinking the same thing. THAT'S HORRIBLE.

kyomi

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
« Reply #803 on: 12 Jun 2014, 08:36 »

Because I thought it was interesting? Like.. out of nowhere that tractor trailer just completely obliterates those 4 cars and still keeps going like nothing happened. I figured it would stop soon after hitting *4* cars...

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #804 on: 12 Jun 2014, 08:47 »

Some people find footage of people most likely getting horribly injured if not killed fucking awful and you should have considered that before sharing it.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #805 on: 12 Jun 2014, 09:01 »

Was that a genuine, probably multiply fatal, accident; or was it a film scene?  I mean, what are the chances that something like that would have been filmed?

PS: I've spoilered it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #806 on: 12 Jun 2014, 09:04 »

Dashboard cameras are common in many countries, so the chances are very good that of the many car crashes occuring every day, one like that would be filmed.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #807 on: 12 Jun 2014, 09:22 »

Could've at least researched whether anyone got, you know, maimed or killed. Because honestly? If I knew that everyone in the gif turned out okay, or just minor injuries, I could indeed watch it and be fascinated. But as it stands? Really didn't need to see that.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #808 on: 12 Jun 2014, 09:38 »

Ok I could not read the Vermeer thing.  I love him too much.

kyomi

« Reply #809 on: 12 Jun 2014, 09:52 »

Maybe I'm just crazy or something.. but I didn't find that in the least bit distressing. It looks like it's in another country anyway.. I don't get why everyone go so upset over it?  I just thought it was an interesting scenario. Worrying about anyone in that gif is beyond pointless (hence being here :) ), it could of happened quite awhile ago and there's nothing anyone could do after it happens anyway.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #810 on: 12 Jun 2014, 09:56 »

Some people find footage of people most likely getting horribly injured if not killed fucking awful and you should have considered that before sharing it.

Seriously? You don't get that concept? Even if you don't get it, sometimes the nice thing to do is remember just because you weren't bothered by it, it doesn't mean other people will feel the same way.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #811 on: 12 Jun 2014, 09:59 »

It's cool as long as people die in other countries and a minimum of five years in the past I don't give a shit.

!!!

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #812 on: 12 Jun 2014, 10:10 »

Ok I could not read the Vermeer thing.  I love him too much.
The title sort of implies that Vermeer was a fraud or something, but the article itself doesn't give that impression at all. I don't think it diminishes his skill or craft in any way.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #813 on: 12 Jun 2014, 10:11 »

« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2014, 10:24 by Blue Kitty »

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #814 on: 12 Jun 2014, 10:49 »

It looks like it's in another country anyway.

What.

WHAT.

kyomi

« Reply #815 on: 12 Jun 2014, 11:27 »

Sure.. I'd get what you all are talking about if this was some like.. future event or something and someone could actually do something about it to prevent it, but if you can't do anything about it.. why worry about it?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #816 on: 12 Jun 2014, 11:31 »

Because it trivialises something non-trivial, and contributes to the desensitisation of modern society.  If there was a specific reason to look at it, that's one thing, but "ooh, look, splat, real people, wow" is not an acceptable reason.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #817 on: 12 Jun 2014, 11:46 »

And I would like clarification on how "it looks like it was in another country" (other than which one, exactly?) is at all relevant here.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #818 on: 12 Jun 2014, 11:52 »

and now for something completely different:
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #819 on: 12 Jun 2014, 13:40 »

Maybe I'm just crazy or something.. but I didn't find that in the least bit distressing. It looks like it's in another country anyway.. I don't get why everyone go so upset over it?  I just thought it was an interesting scenario. Worrying about anyone in that gif is beyond pointless (hence being here :) ), it could of happened quite awhile ago and there's nothing anyone could do after it happens anyway.

You're not crazy, but what you're lacking in this case is empathy, consideration and tact. Many people find the thoughts and images of unnecessary and violent deaths upsetting. These events are upsetting in their own right because they represent or depict one of the most terrible and traumatizing experiences in human existence: sudden and gruesome death that can strke anyone at any time. But they may also trigger painful memories or fears over which some viewers may have no control.

I'll accept that you may have difficulties understanding, personally, why someone may find this sort of thing upsetting (or why someone may be even more upset by your subsequent posts) but I think you've the capacity to recognise that people may find such images distressing, that it's not an uncommon or in any way odd reaction for a person to have, and that you should just accept that and adjust your behaviour out of consideration for your fellow human beings. Just chalk it down to one of those weird human things if it helps. peace
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #820 on: 12 Jun 2014, 14:02 »

But, to get back to the pointless:

And, finally, the best thing I've ever seen carrying the BBC One logo:

Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #821 on: 12 Jun 2014, 14:37 »

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #822 on: 12 Jun 2014, 15:15 »

...Besides, of course, the fact that the beer was pretty much blown to bits by the force of the explosion.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #823 on: 12 Jun 2014, 16:19 »

It's cool as long as people die in other countries and a minimum of five years in the past I don't give a shit.
It is the traditional dismissal, isn't it?: "but that was in another country, and besides, the wench is dead."

Those trompe l'oeil car clips are remarkable evidence of the way our brains try to reconstruct a virtual three-dimensional space from two dimensional images. Fascinating.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #824 on: 12 Jun 2014, 16:40 »

As everyone knows, after the apocalypse the primary currency will be bullets, booze and bottle caps. :)

Also, I love Parov Stellar, and those were some amazing moves.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #825 on: 12 Jun 2014, 16:44 »

A debate about whether to publish or air images of a gruesome scene occurs fairly often in newspaper and TV newsrooms. Most of the time, responsible organizations err on the side of caution, knowing that they'll get complaints if they run a photo or video clip that will distress reader/viewers without a clear need to inform them. Posting a dashcam video -- and I've watched a number --  raises a question the poster isn't prepared to answer. Unprepared viewers want to know if people died, were seriously injured, miraculously survived. We're not going to get an answer to those questions, and the inability of the poster to answer I regard as an extension of that absence of empathy. BTW, I'm reasonably sure the out-of-control truck didn't keep going and leave the scene. It probably wasn't able to and there may have been no road for it to travel in any case.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #826 on: 12 Jun 2014, 16:50 »

Might be real if it's Russia.  Seen some absolutely insane driving and accidents in vids from there.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #827 on: 12 Jun 2014, 16:52 »

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #828 on: 12 Jun 2014, 18:23 »

A debate about whether to publish or air images of a gruesome scene occurs fairly often in newspaper and TV newsrooms. Most of the time, responsible organizations err on the side of caution, knowing that they'll get complaints if they run a photo or video clip that will distress reader/viewers without a clear need to inform them. Posting a dashcam video -- and I've watched a number --  raises a question the poster isn't prepared to answer. Unprepared viewers want to know if people died, were seriously injured, miraculously survived. We're not going to get an answer to those questions, and the inability of the poster to answer I regard as an extension of that absence of empathy. BTW, I'm reasonably sure the out-of-control truck didn't keep going and leave the scene. It probably wasn't able to and there may have been no road for it to travel in any case.

Publishing/airing are different to this thread though, Bob. But then I suspect you already knew that.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
James The Kugai 

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #830 on: 12 Jun 2014, 18:48 »

My intent is to show that whether to post gruesome or potentially upsetting images is controversial in other settings, and the discussion may be a public one, a discussion the OP might have noticed elsewhere. Newspapers I read sometimes apologize in print for running a photo of, say, a body on the street after an accident. The considerations are similar: As Aimless put it, empathy, consideration and tact.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #831 on: 13 Jun 2014, 00:19 »

Storyboard pictures for the forthcoming movie:
(click to show/hide)
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #832 on: 13 Jun 2014, 05:03 »

Trying too hard, Akima.
Just another Joe like 46

kyomi

« Reply #833 on: 13 Jun 2014, 05:13 »

Global Moderator Comment Saying more about that gif is tempting fate, so I've removed what you wrote here. Pipe down, and take your own advice:
Ok so.. no more interesting crash gifs :)

How about sharks?

I love this... I want to be Sarah's friend now
http://imgur.com/a/td28o
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2014, 09:46 by pwhodges »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #834 on: 13 Jun 2014, 10:07 »

« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2014, 12:54 by LeeC »

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #835 on: 13 Jun 2014, 14:29 »

I don't seem to be able to make it expandable, so...

http://news.thesocialcrat.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/2124.jpg

Disregard that, etc.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #836 on: 13 Jun 2014, 14:34 »

I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #837 on: 13 Jun 2014, 14:51 »

I'm not sure whether this belongs in the pointless thread, but...

I don't cry easily, but I'd advise that you don't listen to this when you need your eyes to be clear.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #838 on: 13 Jun 2014, 14:54 »

El Mariachi's cousin GM?
James The Kugai 

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #839 on: 13 Jun 2014, 17:00 »

Seems to be the case Kugai
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #840 on: 13 Jun 2014, 18:13 »

« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2014, 18:30 by Blue Kitty »

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #841 on: 13 Jun 2014, 19:56 »

Re: the teacher one...I once thought about becoming a teacher. I went through a great deal of the process, and I have more respect for teachers than ever. I don't want to be one anymore, though.

Re: the pirate one...:roll:
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #843 on: 14 Jun 2014, 01:53 »

My apologies. Normal pointless service will continue in 3... 2... 1...

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #844 on: 14 Jun 2014, 05:52 »

That is a lot of youth with what appear to be a mix of PPSh-41 aka Type 50 and Sten submachine guns... and possibly holstered Makarov pistols?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #845 on: 14 Jun 2014, 06:46 »

...and you're a military historian?
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #846 on: 14 Jun 2014, 06:48 »

...is he?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #847 on: 14 Jun 2014, 07:01 »

...and you're a military historian?

I'm a former Marine and gunsmith with an appreciation for military history. Even if I had finished my BA in History and gone on to my MH Masters, my knowledge of the, Chinese Civil War, and Cultural Revolution could EASILY still be as limited as it is now from a historical standpoint. There is a good chance I would have at least studied the Guerrilla warfare tactics as outlined in Mao's "On Guerrilla Warfare". Which I haven't outside of the common principles expressed in other documents. It's a large planet with a lot of history, my military history professor knew a lot but even he admitted he specialized in European Warfare and the history of the United States Airforce.

So as related to my primary occupation, I believe I am correct as to the identity of those firearms, down to splicing out the Chinese variant of the PPSh submachine gun the Type 50, and given the weapons, clothing and coloration of the photo, along with the poster (Tovarishch Akima is nothing if not reliable in her insight and interesting references and posts relating to Chinese history) I feel I am safe in assuming it's from the cultural revolution, probably a group of Red Guard. (Not to be confused with the Guards formations of the Red Army of the USSR of course)
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2014, 07:09 by GarandMarine »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #848 on: 14 Jun 2014, 10:47 »

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #849 on: 14 Jun 2014, 12:53 »

Dune/tremors slash fic?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 93   Go Up