THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Charities, foundations, beggars  (Read 3305 times)

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
Charities, foundations, beggars
« on: 27 Dec 2014, 07:00 »

Do you give money to charitable organisations, foundations, beggars or others who are in need?

Would you like to?

Regularly or sporadically?

Are there any that you particularly favour? Why?
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Re: Charities, foundations, beggars
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2014, 07:49 »

I have a few.

One is the Hoping Foundation, who I've not given to for a while but feed, clothe and educate Palestinian orphans if I remember rightly. I should have a re-read.

Any charity that is having a big gimmicked charity drive I tend to ignore because they will get shit from other people. The ice bucket challenge or the no-makeup selfie for example, I typically do nothing for because they get a huge influx in donations from the online campaigns.

I am most passionate about charities dedicated to the homeless problem because I feel we should give as much focus to problems within our own countries as outside of them.

However, beggars are a tricky subject because you never know where your money is going. As such I would typically give a beggar cigarettes when I was a smoker (bad for them, but they enjoy them and it helps keep their hunger at bay) or an actual item like a sandwich or a bottle of water.

The top of my list in the UK is the Big Life Company which produces a regional magazine called the Big Issue. I wrote for the Big Issue North briefly and still am in contact with their editor in case I wanted to sell articles to them. I will almost without fail buy a Big Issue if one is on offer and I have the change in my pocket. If I have too big a note for them to break I will usually buy them a food or drink item to get the change and give them that as well.

I am passionate about the Big Issue because the homeless people selling them have to buy the magazines they then sell and keep the revenue for themselves. As such I have no problem giving them money for the magazine - I get something out of it (an actually very good magazine although I am still biased in favour of the Northern one) and I know that at least SOME of their money is being used to help them out of their situation. Even if they are a drug addict or a drunk, I know that they are doing SOMETHING to help themselves. They also have ways of singling out the real sellers, namely the specific patches they sell at (easy to work out once you've lived somewhere for a little while) and the bibs they wear that show they are official. I try to patronise specific sellers that I know because there are rules they have to follow about locations and times and I like being able to help specific guys. I usually hope that if my seller of choice disappears he has probably got a job. This also helps teach them employment skills and customer service which should benefit them in finding jobs.

I will also usually give to an Alzheimers charity because my grandmother died from it and I know that unlike most diseases, it is that rare one which is actually past a certain point harder on the family than the victim of it; at a certain point my grandmother as a husk of herself, but that husk was the sweet woman she always was, just one that didn't recognise us, or even know that she'd forgotten anything.

I also, on a less charitable angle, set up Oxjam at my parents' church in about 2006 or so (largely out of boredom and so I had a way of gigging) that has run at least once a year ever since so I suppose you could argue that I'm personally responsible for a few grand that has gone to Oxfam. I'll still sometimes return to Nottingham to play the gigs.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2014, 07:58 »

I am honestly been in the position to be the one in need of charity more often than to give it... But I still try when I can. I donate to food bank drives whenever possible, because quite often food banks were the only things that kept me fed and alive. I've given to homeless shelters and local charities that aid the homeless. March of Dimes, Toys for Tots and those places where you leave things for kids for Christmas in stores. I used to donate to Salvation Army till I found out what kinds of homophobic shits the leading cabal is. I prefer to give my support to smaller, local groups that I know are going to use most of what I give to help people. Instead of big charities where so much is eaten up by stuff like administration and advertisement costs.. if not outright lining people's pockets.

I have given to beggars occasionally, because I know what it's like to be on the street. But I've found more often than not that just backfires. Either they are 'professional beggers' who are scamming people with sob stories. A big problem in the area I live in now. A good number of those 'down on their luck can you give me a buck' guys pull down more money on an average day than I do, according to police reports. Other times you just get marked as an easy target and you can't walk down the street without being aggressively hit up for money. I'm talking not much short of being mugged. In one case I had two dollars. A begger was asking for money, and I was feeling good, so I gave him one of my dollars... He chased me for three blocks until I ducked into a restaurant and was wondering if I would need to call the police demanding I give him my other dollar.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2014, 09:38 »

I prefer to give things over money. I try to remember to buy extra animal food when shopping to give to rescue shelters. When I'm at the vets they have a drop box for the local cat shelter where we got our two beasts from so I buy the food the vet sells and donate there. It's the same vet that does all their work so we'll always use them knowing our continued business supports the work they do.
Food banks are also a biggie for me. They help stop people choosing between food and rent/heating/bills. A lot of people are borderline homeless across a lot of demographics and a foodbank as much as anything else will help keep people from the wrong side of the front door. Some local supermarkets also let them exchange over donations of some stuff for under donated essentials.
I won't give anything to a sob story beggar. I don't think I've ever heard a story I could believe. I challenged one once who spun me the sane money to travel to a nearby town tale three times in one week and suggested he could have walked there by now. Needless to say it didn't go down well. Being lied to and manipulated doesn't inspire me to give. Besides, money more often does harm than good. Hot food and drinks at least won't do much harm and humanise the interaction. I know of a couple of rough sleepers who read a lot so will offer old books to them from time to time.
I'll give money where its better for the charity though. I like to keep local though. Local homeless shelters, local conservation charities, local ex-service charities etc. Globalised charities have a bit of a tendancy to miss local needs.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2014, 10:23 »

The only charity I give to currently and regularly, besides odd bits of change on the boxes at shops, is Guide Dogs UK. Reason is that I like dogs plus it's actually borderline what I can afford so giving to more would be tough on the bank account.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #5 on: 27 Dec 2014, 10:27 »

The only place I donate to is the Red Cross, because it's not easy to embezzle blood.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #6 on: 27 Dec 2014, 13:08 »

I give to various wildlife and veteran's service groups regularly.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #7 on: 27 Dec 2014, 17:43 »

UNHCR

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #8 on: 27 Dec 2014, 17:43 »

That's the refugee thing right

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #9 on: 27 Dec 2014, 17:44 »

I'm drunk,I forgot the name

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #10 on: 29 Dec 2014, 04:26 »

I donate a small sum monthly to a local charity who helped a friend of mine when she was in need.
I am also registered as a stem cell donor.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #11 on: 29 Dec 2014, 07:26 »

I don't have a lot of money to give, but I have some and I like to volunteer when I can. I've donated to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation, because that personally affects me. I have donated blood to the Red Cross (even though until recently I was not supposed to be allowed to, shhhh...) and am registered as a bone marrow donor. I've volunteered at auctions, walks, and other events held by the MS Society, which I got involved in because my aunt has it. I've volunteered at the local humane society. I've also volunteered at the local food pantry, and a really cool pay-what-you-can restaurant downtown. And recently an LGBT center opened in my hometown, so I've worked at the desk there some.

When I was a church-going lad, we would go down to Kentucky to work with this charity called Mountain Outreach, pretty similar to Habitat for Humanity, just building homes for folks. I learned a lot about carpentry and electrics there. And then I've volunteered with Habitat some, but they are a bit less hands-on at their job sites.

I once went on a sort of "voluntourism" trip to Jamaica through my school that I'm not 100% proud of now. We walked supplies into a rural village, helped add a wing onto someone's house, and hung out at nursing homes (which in Jamaica are mainly for people with mental disabilities who are homeless). I still consider it a great personal experience but in retrospect I now know why those types of trips can actually be counterproductive to charity work in other countries.

One charity I'd like to get involved in someday that I only recently discovered is the Kevin Spacey Foundation, which has a goal of bringing creative arts to communities where children normally wouldn't have the opportunity to learn about it.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #12 on: 29 Dec 2014, 12:27 »

I still consider it a great personal experience but in retrospect I now know why those types of trips can actually be counterproductive to charity work in other countries.

That's the thing that a lot of people don't understand. It's perfectly okay to like the experience, but I hate when people think they did a great thing. Awesome gesture, don't get me wrong and I don't want to take that away from anyone, but good intentions don't always produce the best results (I didn't mean to hate on you or anything, I'm real sorry if it came across that way, I'm just agreeing with your assessment).

In any case, I don't have much money to give either. If I see a charity box or a homeless person I usually give a dollar or whatever change I happen to have. Sometimes, if I really agree with the cause I'll put in a little more, though the most I ever gave at once was like $20.

I plan on giving much more when I have an actual, real person job, and I hope that's not empty promises.

One thing my family as a whole did was create an event (that will at least expand into next year) for the Wounded Warrior Project. We raised $100,000 at the event with no overhead costs, it was all to honor my older brother who passed away earlier this year. He was a Sergeant in the USMC. If there's an charity I care most about it's the WWP, mostly because it was the most important one to my older brother while he was alive.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"
Pages: [1]   Go Up